PDA

View Full Version : What is the best strategy for the Kent, CT -- Hanover, NH section in October?

honu
08-24-2013, 23:35
I've got the month of October off and haven't done the section between Kent and Hanover. I've lined up a ride to Kent and will be probably be arriving there Oct. 1 - 3. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy to do as much of the section as possible. One option is to hike north from Kent, but that has me entering VT in mid-October. Another option is to figure out how to get a ride from Kent to Hanover and then hike south. That gets me through the Greens by mid-October. Open to other alternatives as well. I don't mind a bit of snow and cold, but would prefer to avoid deep snow, ice, and cold rain as much as possible. Suggestions, advice, and information about the trail conditions and weather I can expect are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Miner
08-24-2013, 23:58
I hiked south in that time period last year, leaving Hanover on Oct.4. I hit a little snow in VT; a small amount on Mt. Stratton on the 11th caused mostly by the wind chill with a few flurries and had a few inches come down hard when I was climbing Glastenbury Mountain on the 12th (was pretty cold up there as the temps dived to 30F after it started to come down with some wind chill. I feel sorry for anyone staying in the shelter up there that night) but it stopped by late morning and started to melt off. Pretty much had moisture all but the last day in Vermont as even supposedly sunny days were cloudy on the mountains and the clouds would saturate the brush and trees so it was always wet and I had to keep my rain jacket and pants on. Also had some real rain. The leaves were quicly stripped off the trees by the weather as they changed and the wet leaves on the ground were slippery on the climbs and descents and caused me to slide more then once. They also often hid water pooling under them until you steeped in it. The bog bridges in Vermont grew a thin layer of moss combined with the general dampness and the lack of hiker traffic made them very very slippery. I often slide several inches on them and was lucky to not fall off or get injured. I swore by the end to stop using them as they had become really dangerous. The shelters were cold due to the cold wind at night blowing cold air up through the cracks in the floors so I needed a thicker pad then I had. It would have been warmer sleeping directly on the ground. Things got better and easier after entering MA which also brought lower elevations, but still had some rain.

My hopes for an Indian Summer that fall didn't happen. Overall, I didn't think the rain was really cold and didn't see ice on the trail very often. Snow wasn't bad and only happened in the higher elevations of Vermont. Other then that day it was snowing, it was normally in the low 50'sF during the day and only getting cold at night.

Migrating Bird
08-25-2013, 07:01
Last October was not the average, cooler, cloudier and wetter than normal, although you should expect all of the weather conditions Miner describes. On the other hand, November last year was beautiful. On October 31,2011 we had 20" (very rare exception) here in western MA and that was pretty much it for the whole winter. Miner stated just how slippery leaves and bog bridges can be along with acorns in a heavy mast crop year.

Have a great hike it is the best time of year and a beautiful section of trail.

Symba
08-25-2013, 09:22
If you Northbound we may cross paths! Hope all goes well. Slippery leaves are like ice; just like driving a car you have to be careful that the puddle isn't actually a hole! I'll probably take it slowwww...like 2 miles per hour slow. Congrats on your final section of the trail to complete. I'm doing the same.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-25-2013, 12:11
Go around?

Slo-go'en
08-25-2013, 12:17
It's a coin toss as to which way is best to go.

You probably would be better off SOBO from Hanover that time of year. Weather in October is very variable and the chances of getting an early season dusting (or dumping) of snow increases as you approch November. You'd also be wise to get the more difficult section of trail (Vermont) done early.

OTOH, unless your a fast hiker, a month might not be long enough to do that section given the relatively short days and possible bad weather here and there which can slow you down or stop you all together for a day or two or three. So, it might be better to start in Kent where it's a little easier and be in better shape when you get to Vermont.

If your ride can take you a little farther to say Hartford, you can take the bus to Boston and then to Hanover.

Driver8
08-25-2013, 16:05
It's a coin toss as to which way is best to go.

You probably would be better off SOBO from Hanover that time of year. Weather in October is very variable and the chances of getting an early season dusting (or dumping) of snow increases as you approch November. You'd also be wise to get the more difficult section of trail (Vermont) done early.

OTOH, unless your a fast hiker, a month might not be long enough to do that section given the relatively short days and possible bad weather here and there which can slow you down or stop you all together for a day or two or three. So, it might be better to start in Kent where it's a little easier and be in better shape when you get to Vermont.

If your ride can take you a little farther to say Hartford, you can take the bus to Boston and then to Hanover.

From Hartford. the OP might be able to get a bus to Hanover or nearby. I'd check on that.

Driver8
08-25-2013, 16:14
Did check - Greyhound has a Hartford to Hanover, 5:15 duration, about twice the driving time, $48 fare. Not sure what all days - Monday for sure, no Sunday.

honu
08-25-2013, 20:52
If you Northbound we may cross paths! Hope all goes well. Slippery leaves are like ice; just like driving a car you have to be careful that the puddle isn't actually a hole! I'll probably take it slowwww...like 2 miles per hour slow. Congrats on your final section of the trail to complete. I'm doing the same.

When and where will you be? If I end up going NOBO, I'll keep an eye out for you.

And just to correct a misimpression I seem to have created. This won't be my final section. I have CT through NH yet to do. I was hoping to get all but NH done this fall. I wanted to finish in the Whites; hopefully next summer.

Congratulations to you on completing the trail.

honu
08-25-2013, 21:03

That pretty much states my dilemma. Can't say I'm a fast hiker. Once I'm in shape, I usually manage 12 - 15 miles a day. Right now I'm thinking the better choice is to head SOBO from Hanover. The guy giving me a ride is currently out hiking, but when he gets back I'll see if I can talk him into taking me to Hartford. Worst case, I hike north from Kent, hope for a warm October, and just go as far as I can.

honu
08-25-2013, 21:08
Did check - Greyhound has a Hartford to Hanover, 5:15 duration, about twice the driving time, $48 fare. Not sure what all days - Monday for sure, no Sunday.

Thanks for checking that out. Looked at the bus schedules and that seems like the best option. Plus I get a small discount because I'm a senior. :) Now all I have to do is get to Harford.

honu
08-25-2013, 21:10
Everyone else. Thanks for your input.