PDA

View Full Version : Need help with section hike plans

Rightfoot
08-25-2013, 10:42
I have the last week of September and the first week of October off and would like to use part of that time for a hike. I am debating Carvers Gap to Damascus or Damascus to somewhere north of Partnership Shelter. Which one would you select? Is one prettier than the other? Is water typically and issue this time of year in this area? Transportation is not an issue as shuttles seem to available in both areas. I would appreciate any feedback or ideas that you might have. I am not a fast hiker, i like to stop and enjoy the views, 10 - 12 mile days are fine.

Regards

Rasty
08-25-2013, 11:06
Carvers to Damascus gets my vote. Did most of Carvers to Partnership Shelter last year during the same time period. Maybe add a full day to hike in Greyson also.

Kerosene
08-25-2013, 22:07
Both sections have their merits, and that's a great time of year to hike. I did the Atkins to Damascus section in early June 2007 and had absolutely gorgeous weather. I did the Damascus to Erwin section in late October 2008 and got hit with an early 6" snow on Roan that made things interesting. If you've never done the AT, I'd probably point you to north of Damascus. Water is almost always an issue for Fall hiking, and my guess is that it may get a bit sparse through Grayson Highlands. Have a great hike!

Seatbelt
08-26-2013, 07:57
Water is almost always an issue for Fall hiking, and my guess is that it may get a bit sparse through Grayson Highlands. Have a great hike!
Just hiked part of this this past weekend--the trail is muddy in several spots becuause they have already received 17 inches of rain this year--above their avg yearly total--there is water in abundance!