PDA

View Full Version : too many encounters with throw hikers have convinced me I will never hike the AT

ekih
08-25-2013, 23:34
For quite some time I had been entertaining in the back of my mind the idea of doing the AT one day, ideally a few days after the day I get fired from my job but only if that day comes at some point before I'm 40. But today I reached the conclusion that the AT is not for me. It's not that I think I don't have the physical strength, the mental focus, or the survival skills required to do it, it's just that the social aspect of it sickens me. If I'm going to embark on a 2000 mile journey, the last thing I want to see is people. And if I'm going to see people, I sure as hell don't want to see the same people I saw the week before. And this whole thing about having a trail nickname, and the AT-related slang terms you adopt, and the entire subculture thing is not for me. I'm not the kind of person who wants to feel like he is part of something or who thinks that accomplishing the same thing that thousands of people - young and old, male and female - have accomplished is much of an accomplishment let alone something to feel proud of. I'd rather embark on something new, something original, fully knowing that at the end of the journey I will likely not have learned anything new about myself or found the epiphany that has eluded me all my life. The grief, the angst, the lack of meaning and sense of direction than inspire people to embark on these journeys will still be there.

hikerboy57
08-25-2013, 23:38
so what do you have in mind?

Miner
08-25-2013, 23:41
I quit my job inorder to hike the PCT before I turned 40 (I finished 2 months before my 40th birthday). Being over 40 hasn't stopped me from planning a CDT thru-hike for 2015 or hiking long sections of the AT. Quit complaining and go out and hike.

If you don't want the amount of people on the AT, hike the PCT or for an even more lonely hike, do the CDT. And since the CDT isn't a complete trail, most hikers don't even hike the same path as another since they piece together alternate routes to fit their own interests. If you don't insist on a thru-hike, you can section the AT in a period of time that doesn't have all the other hikers. I didn't see very many hikers in NH in late September or Vermont in October last fall. In general, a SOBO AT journey would be different from what you are describing. Once you pass the NOBOs, you won't see very many thru-hikers. And while you are seeing NOBOs, you'll never see the same ones again.

MuddyWaters
08-25-2013, 23:51
The AT is easy to hike. Its convenient to towns, resupply is a snap, hiker services abound. Its what most people need and want.
Everyone wants a wilderness experience. Just not necessarilly 3 months worth.

There are trails much less travelled, much more remote. Heck, there are places with no trails.

A few notable foot-travelers such as Skurka like to make their own trails. I agree, that would be way more exciting than slogging thru the AT with a couple of trail buddies. But also way more hazardous, way more difficult, way more planning.

Darn those throw hikers anyway, ruining everything.

Just Bill
08-26-2013, 00:13
You should hang out with more thru hikers; Throw hikers are always throwing around slang and talking stupid. They throw high fives, and hellos around like crazy. Stupid chatty jerks. They all throw in together like the college aged lost souls they are to split a cheap life lesson on the trail. They have fun, hike their hike, see some stuff, and generally throw down a pretty good trip.

Thru hikers generally hike the trail because they enjoy it- because the AT is one of the prettiest, bestest, cooliest places on the planet. Sure there are people on it, seeing as 2/3rds of the nations people live fairly close to it and all. But Thru-hikers don't let things like that bother them- they just accept them as part of the trail. Some folks travel in the winter, some walk offseason, silly folks walk in the wrong direction, some walk at night, some don't stay in shelters. Despite the fact that few books touch on the subject, you can ignore the carnival barkers encountered at every road crossing encouraging you to leave the peace of the woods and go to town for drinking and whoring.

Some thru-hikers are just walking in the woods. Most thru-hikers read books, most thru hikers understand the books don't always apply to them. Many thru-hikers understand that any type of hiker encountered online isn't representative of any hiker really. If you're not feeling social, that's okay, but probably not best to share that in a social setting- kinda makes me throw up a little on my keyboard personally.

Slo-go'en
08-26-2013, 00:44
Reminds me of the head stone on the chimney ruins at Iron Mt -

"He lived alone, suffered alone and died alone".

Just Bill
08-26-2013, 00:50
Reminds me of the head stone on the chimney ruins at Iron Mt -

"He lived alone, suffered alone and died alone".
Who bought the headstone?:eek:

honu
08-26-2013, 00:56
I once felt much like you, although not nearly as strongly. Avoiding the social scene was one of the reasons, when I attempted a thru-hike in 2006, I chose to go SOBO. But since then my perspective has changed a bit. Here are several paragraphs from an essay I wrote:

"When I began hiking the Appalachian Trail, I anticipated my satisfaction would come from alone-time in the woods, wildlife sightings and scenic views, and surmounting the physical and mental challenges. But more than once I found myself thinking 'If I didn’t know I was on the AT, I wouldn’t know I was on the AT.' Long stretches looked and felt the same as other trails I have hiked. Overall, the AT ranked better than some, not as good as others.

"Yet, despite this neutral assessment, after returning home I would eventually get an irresistible urge to hike the AT again. Why? It took several more trips to puzzle out the allure.

"The Appalachian Trail attracts people of varied backgrounds, circumstances, physical conditions, personalities, ages, beliefs, attitudes, and motivations. Yet even when they have little in common except the AT, that mutual interest is usually enough to create an instant sense of community. It’s a community overwhelmingly made of up good and affable people. Almost all are interesting and some are fascinating.

"And they have touched me in a way I never imagined. I normally go walking in the woods to get away from people for a while. But I come to the Appalachian Trail to meet strangers."

Everyone is different, of course. And maybe, for you, it would turn out that your perspective is spot on. But I gather it is based on what you have read and heard, not on personal experience. I suspect that if you did a long section hike (say 300+ miles) that was selected and timed to provide what you are looking for, you would feel differently.

Dogwood
08-26-2013, 01:36
Listening to some of this shart on WB has prepared me for taking the exam to be a psychiatrist.

Train Wreck
08-26-2013, 02:35
Listening to some of this shart on WB has prepared me for taking the exam to be a psychiatrist.

Do you offer a throw hiker discount?

Dogwood
08-26-2013, 02:59
Excuse me while I self medicate. Skittles. i got Skittles.

stranger
08-26-2013, 03:04
The AT certainly has it's 'scene' and if I never met another AT thru-hiker that would be fine with me...however, to judge a trail or experience before having it seems a little silly to me. There are plenty of great things about the AT, and any hike over 2000 miles will be life changing and special. Until you get out there, how do you know you won't want to see people? I love my alone time, however some of my fondest memories of hiking on the AT include other people because you can create lifetime bonds.

There are other trails, and certainly other countries. There are massive trails in Australia that only 10's of people have hiked, maybe less, there are long trails all over the world.

Train Wreck
08-26-2013, 03:05
Excuse me while I self medicate. Skittles. i got Skittles.

The 50mg or 100mg sugar dosage?

PeaPicker
08-26-2013, 04:11
Hmmm...this reply could sound mean spirited!...I noticed the two people you talked about in your post "I" and "ME" appear to think that someone like "myself" gives a hoot, what your personal motivation is or would be for an AT hike. I did not know before your post what a throw hiker was.You know, come to think of it, I still don't know. Here is what I do know,the only thing I have in common with the people I have interacted with on this forum is they have not judged me on my reasons for the hike and I have not judged them for theirs.I have ask questions and advice has been given.I am free to act on it or not.Whatever justification you have applied in your decision is

PeaPicker
08-26-2013, 04:19
no reason to sit in your self made ivory tower and take pop shots at me....The grief, the angst, the lack of meaning and sense of direction than inspire people to embark on these journeys will still be there." this one sentence tells me you know nothing of what is my heart or what my experience will be .

whew I feel better...guess that was a lil self indulging too

Rasty
08-26-2013, 06:14

Can we talk about bacon? Everywhere I go I see dead bacon.

atmilkman
08-26-2013, 06:18
Can we talk about bacon? Everywhere I go I see bacon.

How about thick sliced peppered bacon.

T.S.Kobzol
08-26-2013, 06:28
Looks like the trails' future ambassador is throwing in the towel. Bumblebee tuna? Bumblebee tuna.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

Theosus
08-26-2013, 06:56
I sure as hell don't want to see the same people I saw the week before.

Hike Southbound... much less likely to see the same people. Or do it in sections in off seasons. Start northbound in October and just hike until you want to quit (or it gets too cold). Don't use a trail name. If someone gives you one, like you say, you probably won't meet up with them again, so you don't use it. As far as doing something unique and special... that is seldom in this country any more. its all been done before. If you want to get out there and hike somewhere, what about doing an AT style hike but avoiding the AT as much as possible? There are a number of trails that parallel and intersect the AT in places. You could still hike the AT from GA to ME, while avoiding some of it (particularly in GA and NC) and seeing something new.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2013, 07:03
After talking with and hearing some of the stories from hikers this year, I dont blame you. Look at the Colorado Trail. Amazing trail, not nearly as much foot traffic as the AT and the risk of dealing with the yahoo's that start in GA may be more appealing.

Chaco Taco
08-26-2013, 07:03
If you are set on the 2000 + mile hike, my vote would be the PCT or the CDT

Rasty
08-26-2013, 07:28
Take a look at the 5 threads the Ekih has started.

ams212001
08-26-2013, 07:32

+1
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Lauriep
08-26-2013, 07:37
There's another option: a flip-flop or other alternative thru-hike. If you start your hike roughly in the middle, heading north, and time your hike to be ahead of the crowds, you can have the companionship of a few early northbounders (after you get your trail legs). Then you can hike south with a very small number of southbounders.

Some suggested itineraries here: www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start).

Not long ago a father/son duo came through who had started in NY June 1, hiked north, and went back to NY heading south. They loved their hike in every respect--lack of crowds, chance to get their trail legs in moderate terrain, avoiding bad weather in both the North and South, and connecting with the early nobos and climbing Katahdin with them. The only bad thing was the negative attitudes from people who said they weren't "real" thru-hikers.

To do an alternative thru-hike, you must have the strength of character to be bothered by people who make up their definition of what constitutes a "real" thru-hike and tell you that your hike doesn't rate by their standards. My guess is both Benton MacKaye and Myron Avery would approve of alternative thru-hikers, and certainly ATC does. It's true that Earl Shaffer did not think flip-flop thru-hikes counted as "real" thru-hikes. But if he saw the northbound crowds today, I think he would be promoting any thru-hike that allowed for more solitude.

Southbounders have to walk through the crowd of northbounders, and actually see more of them (for a short period) than the northbounders themselves do.

Doing an alternative thru-hike is also a good way to show some love for the trail. It disperses both physical and social impacts.

Laurie P.
ATC

Gray Blazer
08-26-2013, 07:42
Yeah, it kinda reminds me of the hippies who all wanted to be different so they all had long hair, wore blue jeans and stopped using deodorant.

Malto
08-26-2013, 07:57
" TOO many encounters with throw hikers have convinced me I will never hike the AT"

You have a few options.
1) change your attitude and accept the trail for what it is.
2) be flexible with your plan and tailor it to maximize the solitude you seem to seek.
3) pick up your toys and go home.

Option 3 sounds like the best option. Someone with the "TOO" syndrome even before they hike is heading for misery.

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 08:17
ive always been a solo hiker, always worked weekends,so it was difficult to find a hiking "partner" who could take time off during the week. in any case this past spring i sectioned from springer to damscus from mar23 to may1 among the bubble, and i had a really god time. the sense of community on the trail was something very special.
next spring i had planned on attempting a complete thru hike.i decided i didnt want to hike with the bubble early on, so im starting on the bmt and will rejoin the trail after the smokies and continue north. this will give me the solitude i prefer early on, but i'll still have plenty of time on the at to enjoy the social aspect later on, and the crowd has thinned out considerably by then.
i dont really care what you call it, ive come to love being out on the trail for extended periods. throughout my 30+ yrs of backpacking, ive enjoyed solitude and directly experiencing my environment, still ,its the people ive met along the way that have made my trips so memorable.
i guess i'll always be a section hiker.

Drybones
08-26-2013, 08:22
If you dont want to be involved with people, why make this post for the people to read? I smell BS.

WingedMonkey
08-26-2013, 08:24

A lot of hikers will be glad if he doesn't hike.

Drybones
08-26-2013, 08:24
" TOO many encounters with throw hikers have convinced me I will never hike the AT"

You have a few options.
1) change your attitude and accept the trail for what it is.
2) be flexible with your plan and tailor it to maximize the solitude you seem to seek.
3) pick up your toys and go home.

Option 3 sounds like the best option. Someone with the "TOO" syndrome even before they hike is heading for misery.

OPtion #3 would be best for him and everybody else.

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 08:25
wait a minute, s it dale carnegie again?

Drybones
08-26-2013, 08:27
If you are set on the 2000 + mile hike, my vote would be the PCT or the CDT

Solitary confinement might be better, these trail also have people on them.

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 08:44
What about just using a blindfold and ear plugs?

Rasty
08-26-2013, 08:46

Is this like showing the blind guy the Grand Canyon?

Tuckahoe
08-26-2013, 08:47

More attention needs to be paid to join dates and post counts... its a good indicator if you're not already checking under the local bridges.

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 08:47

Is this like showing the blind guy the Grand Canyon? well they do have a guidebook version available in Braille

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 08:48

More attention needs to be paid to join dates and post counts... its a good indicator if you're not already checking under the local bridges. well at least he hasn't threatened to shoot wet dogs yet

RED-DOG
08-26-2013, 08:58
The AT is a social scene with all kinds of different people with different kinds of back grounds that hikes it, from noisy college students to basically homeless people, if you come across a group or someone you don't feel comfortable or want to be around HIKE ON you have that choice, I have completed three thru-Hikes on the AT and haven't regreted a minute of it, if you want to be alone go hike the PCT whoops that one has some people on it to or how about the CDT then again you might see some people on that one to, my advise to you is get some gear go cross country hiking in the Rockies find a nice campsite and stay their for 4 or 5 months then you wil,l be totally alone and you will have your solitude, Good Luck and GO HIKING.:dance

Rasty
08-26-2013, 09:04
More attention needs to be paid to join dates and post counts... its a good indicator if you're not already checking under the local bridges.

I'm here 2 years with 6343 posts. What does that say about me?

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 09:05
you are an accomplished cyber hiker

Just Bill
08-26-2013, 09:08
Throw hikers are a serious problem.

Marta
08-26-2013, 09:14

Uh oh....

To the OP's statements:

Hiking the AT is completely optional. No one is required to do it.

If you think that it is easy because several thousand people have done it, you are wrong. It is physically challenging to cover that many miles on foot, and it is mentally challenging to keep at the task for long enough to complete it.

If you hanker after an accomplishment more impressive and unique than a mere thru-hike of the AT, perhaps you should start by knocking off that easy accomplishment first. Jennifer Pharr Davis's record hike was not her first-ever hike. It was the culmination of seven years of intensive hiking, thousands of miles on many trails. Michael Phelps didn't set records the first time he jumped in a pool.

As a number of people have already said, you can find quite a bit of solitude if that's what you want. Most thru-hikers hike alone all day, then meet up with other hikers for the night, either by design or by accident. You can have more solitude if you go SOBO. The fact that you cross paths with the NOBO herd just means that you see them one at a time for a moment. You aren't required to stop and talk to each one.

If you want to be a hermit, better to head out onto Forest Service land to hide, a la Into the Wild. Why add hiking into the mix?

Tuckahoe
08-26-2013, 09:16

+1 This... or a member of the forum with a proven track record...

Or better yet, you are still at home in mom's basement sucking back those Code Red Mt Dews and posting on WB with the passion of a level 21 virgin gamer. :p;):banana

Just Bill
08-26-2013, 09:19
double UH-OH....

fooled you too Marta-

Rasty
08-26-2013, 09:22

Or better yet, you are still at home in mom's basement sucking back those Code Red Mt Dews and posting on WB with the passion of a level 21 virgin gamer. :p;):banana

Never liked Code Red and my kids think I'm weird

The Solemates
08-26-2013, 09:26
start in jan or feb nobo. thats what we did. i can count on my hands the number of thru hikers we saw, most of them sobos in new england.

Rolls Kanardly
08-26-2013, 09:43
Interesting comments, if I felt this way about the AT and the people that enjoy it I would not have bothered to post. Rolls

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 09:46

Or better yet, you are still at home in mom's basement sucking back those Code Red Mt Dews and posting on WB with the passion of a level 21 virgin gamer. :p;):banana mom moved out. She was getting on his nerves anyway

Rasty
08-26-2013, 09:55
mom moved out. She was getting on his nerves anyway

Says the guy with 9.4 posts per day

Gray Blazer
08-26-2013, 09:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQsZujjZWs0

Loser Baby.

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 10:03
Says the guy with 9.4 posts per day
that average will come down substantially with the cafe now in foreclosure, and the new cafe conveniently located in purgatory.

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 10:04
i prefer the original mountain dew, especially the old school white label, made with cane sugar instead of that other stuff

Tuckahoe
08-26-2013, 10:06
Here's the tarp I'm seam sealing... :sun

Venchka
08-26-2013, 10:07
There is always the The Great Divide Trail in The Great Frozen Northland. Getting to the northern terminus for a southbound journey would be an adventure in itself.

http://www.greatdividetrail.com/

http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-banff-national-park-hiking-camping-sidwcmdev_057378.html

http://www.summitpost.org/the-rockwall-trail/761989

http://waputik.tripod.com/nboundary.htm

http://www.timrussellphotography.com/Backpacking/North-Boundary-Trail-Jasper/7700036_WFRtJx#!i=497578279&k=D7NdT3P

Enjoy!

Wayne

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 10:09
there are places where you can still find solitudehttp://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275787/Article/images/15052153/3499777.png

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Explorer-completes-solo-Antarctic-trek/story-15052153-detail/story.html#axzz2d5HU64SJ

Rasty
08-26-2013, 10:10
there are places where you can still find solitudehttp://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275787/Article/images/15052153/3499777.png

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Explorer-completes-solo-Antarctic-trek/story-15052153-detail/story.html#axzz2d5HU64SJ

Who took the photo? Don't say it a timer because there is no way to put gloves back on that fast.

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 10:11
Who took the photo? Don't say it a timer because there is no way to put gloves back on that fast.
time lapse photography

Malto
08-26-2013, 10:13

That doesn't look like solitude, he is skiing in someone else's tracks.

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 10:14
she was backtracking

Rasty
08-26-2013, 10:15

Hikerboy can't do anything right today! :banana

PeaPicker
08-26-2013, 10:17

probably one of those throw hikers

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 10:18
Hikerboy can't do anything right today! :banana
victim by association to the gang that couldnt hike straight.

Rasty
08-26-2013, 10:18
probably one of those throw hikers

Is a throw hiker male or female?

Grampie
08-26-2013, 10:30
OMG...Sounds like another lost sole. These are the type of thru-hikers we are looking for. It will give the other thru-hikers another guy to talk about.

BirdBrain
08-26-2013, 10:31
Putting this troll on ignore. Look at the 4 threads he started. Some people toss rocks into a pack of dogs just to hear the barks. This will be 1st and only response to one of his threads. My advice is don't go hiking then. Do something useful like sit at home and play Xbox. Only person on ignore too.

kayak karl
08-26-2013, 10:37
No wonder he hates them !

Rasty
08-26-2013, 11:38

Darn Throw Hikers!

TD55
08-26-2013, 11:59
Solitude can mean lonely. Maybe that is why so many of those solitude people spend so much time in the town bar when they get a chance. Solitude ain't what it's cracked up to be. It's cool when done in moderation and it's only solitude, but it sucks when it turns into lonely. That is why we have shelters on the AT. Most folks think they are places to sleep and get shelter. They are used far more as places to gather and converse and spend some time with other humans while you enjoy a meal and after an hour or so, move on. Works for me.

flemdawg1
08-26-2013, 13:19
For quite some time I had been entertaining in the back of my mind the idea of doing the AT one day, ideally a few days after the day I get fired from my job but only if that day comes at some point before I'm 40. But today I reached the conclusion that the AT is not for me. It's not that I think I don't have the physical strength, the mental focus, or the survival skills required to do it, it's just that the social aspect of it sickens me. If I'm going to embark on a 2000 mile journey, the last thing I want to see is people. And if I'm going to see people, I sure as hell don't want to see the same people I saw the week before. And this whole thing about having a trail nickname, and the AT-related slang terms you adopt, and the entire subculture thing is not for me. I'm not the kind of person who wants to feel like he is part of something or who thinks that accomplishing the same thing that thousands of people - young and old, male and female - have accomplished is much of an accomplishment let alone something to feel proud of. I'd rather embark on something new, something original, fully knowing that at the end of the journey I will likely not have learned anything new about myself or found the epiphany that has eluded me all my life. The grief, the angst, the lack of meaning and sense of direction than inspire people to embark on these journeys will still be there.

Good, more trail for me. :rolleyes:

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 13:31
we dont care if hes a troll or not.
we're bored.

oruacat2
08-26-2013, 13:43
I remember the Good Old Days of the internet when trolls were at least clever and often very funny. :)

Rasty
08-26-2013, 14:36
I remember the Good Old Days of the internet when trolls were at least clever and often very funny. :)

I miss the Vietnamese Spammer the most.

Tuckahoe
08-26-2013, 14:39
we dont care if hes a troll or not.
we're bored.

You're bored. I've been enjoying a beautiful late summer day off seam sealing my new tarp. And as soon as the mailman arrives with my glowire I will make some guy lines.

08-26-2013, 16:43
"have accomplished is much of an accomplishment let alone something to feel proud of. I'd rather embark on something new,"

So green, I bet this guy never hiked 1 mile in his life.
If you hike the AT in one season you can be proud my friend.

It is not easy.

The physical or mental must both be conquered and that is tough.
Sitting at a desk typing is easy. Hiking in the rain in 33 degrees for 5 days straight is tough. Hiking up mountains in 95 degree heat and hi humidity and trying to sleep with bugs buzzing in you ear is tough.
I did not even read past the first page and realized you have never hiked.

Drybones
08-26-2013, 16:51

What about the other choices?

Drybones
08-26-2013, 16:55
Putting this troll on ignore. Look at the 4 threads he started. Some people toss rocks into a pack of dogs just to hear the barks. This will be 1st and only response to one of his threads. My advice is don't go hiking then. Do something useful like sit at home and play Xbox. Only person on ignore too.

This guy has no intention of hiking...just entertaining us.

Drybones
08-26-2013, 16:57
You're bored. I've been enjoying a beautiful late summer day off seam sealing my new tarp. And as soon as the mailman arrives with my glowire I will make some guy lines.

I'm trying to figure out how to get from Harpers Ferry to Christiansburg, VA at the end of my hike...this is the hard part of hiking.

Rasty
08-26-2013, 17:03

I'm trying to figure out how to get from Harpers Ferry to Christiansburg, VA at the end of my hike...this is the hard part of hiking.

You could try walking a.k.a. "hiking"

kidchill
08-26-2013, 17:14
Awesome, he joins a social forum, for a trail that's too social for him, to complain to others, about not wanting to be social...We throw hikers will not miss you...just sayin...

Rasty
08-26-2013, 17:18

Shim........

hikerboy57
08-26-2013, 17:46

Shim........ throws like a lefty even though he's a righty probably a female

The Cleaner
08-26-2013, 18:39
Is Throw hiking part of the UL trend.....:eek:

DavidDillow
08-26-2013, 19:11
There will be Yahoos anywhere you go. On and off the trail. There are a lot fewer Yahoos off the trail than on. The nice thing about the trail is if you don't like what's going on at a particular place you can just keep walking. That's what hikers do...they walk. Hike your on hike or don't hike at all. Either way don't presume to know what the trail does for those of us that love it.

twilight
08-27-2013, 22:18
Here's the tarp I'm seam sealing... :sun

Is that a one Throw-hiker tarptent or two Throw-hiker tarpent???

Twilight

twilight
08-27-2013, 22:20

Oooh, now I know what a Throw-hiker is!

Twilight

miassis dragon
08-28-2013, 01:58
"too many encounters with throw hikers have convinced me I will never hike the AT". Starting a thread like that on a hikers forum...dumb, just plain dumb. The attempt at critical thinking by the OP was an epic fail.

jeffmeh
08-28-2013, 04:28
Troll ignored.

moytoy
08-28-2013, 09:12
Troll ignored.
This thread is too funny to ignore but it should be over on the humor forum.

WingedMonkey
08-28-2013, 09:34
I just figured out the OP's screen name. Wow that took some heavy thought.

atmilkman
08-28-2013, 09:53
The dude is miserable. Misery loves company. That's why he came here and that's why he WILL hike on the AT. He can't stand to be alone.

Gray Blazer
08-28-2013, 09:57
Thank you Mr. Know-it-all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuWhgyGWkgE

Odd Man Out
08-28-2013, 11:15
I Hiker Throwing anything like Dwarf Tossing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_tossing

kayak karl
08-28-2013, 12:04
Oooh, now I know what a Throw-hiker is!

Twilight
throw hikers take unnecessary chances. they need to be stopped!

Rasty
08-28-2013, 12:11

The shark is entitled to a good meal now and then!

hikerboy57
08-28-2013, 12:12

was that at lakes of the clouds?

BirdBrain
08-28-2013, 12:49
This thread has jumped the shark.

illabelle
08-28-2013, 13:41
This thread is too funny to ignore but it should be over on the humor forum.

But if it was on the humor forum we would expect it to be funny. This thread is funny because it wasn't intended to be, and that's the best kind!

gollwoods
08-28-2013, 18:52
fully knowing that at the end of the journey I will likely not have learned anything new about myself or found the epiphany that has eluded me all my life. The grief, the angst, the lack of meaning and sense of direction than inspire people to embark on these journeys will still be there.

if your feeling like the hike of the A T will not relieve all these feelings because there are too many people and the hike of the entire A t is a standard experience then you believe all experiences and all people you will ever meet are unsatisfactory to you, however you got to this point you are not the only one who has felt that way. it's not the trail or the people that will fail to change how you feel it is something inside you.

Another Kevin
08-28-2013, 21:21
Hmm, I think I can recall a few hikers who overindulged in town and were throw hikers later that night or the next morning. (One of them threw in the back of my car once ... hey Paul, you here? Haven't heard from you in a long time...)

kayak karl
08-28-2013, 21:26
Hmm, I think I can recall a few hikers who overindulged in town and were throw hikers later that night or the next morning. (One of them threw in the back of my car once ... hey Paul, you here? Haven't heard from you in a long time...) Paul? i would of guessed Ralph.

Another Kevin
08-28-2013, 21:53
Paul? i would of guessed Ralph.

I've heard of hikers named Chuck and Bart getting the trail names Up-Chuck and Barf after a similar memorable incident. Never met either.

Ain't Dead Yet!
08-28-2013, 22:51
Way to go Bill! Who needs idiots like him on the trail anyway? Calls to mind the type who enter theaters and people die...

Ain't Dead Yet!
08-28-2013, 22:53
Candy Corn!

rocketsocks
08-28-2013, 23:00
I've heard of hikers named Chuck and Bart getting the trail names Up-Chuck and Barf after a similar memorable incident. Never met either.
Saw a truck once that said on the side....

"call Barf construction...we'll throw it up"

moytoy
08-29-2013, 04:21
But if it was on the humor forum we would expect it to be funny. This thread is funny because it wasn't intended to be, and that's the best kind!
True That!

Game Warden
09-04-2013, 20:51
Ekih, I know exactly what you mean. There is no word in English to describe it; perhaps "aloneness," since solitude doesn't quite measure up. There is this thing, that you can't quite name or describe, that is just beyond the reach of your fingers...

max patch
09-04-2013, 20:56
The OP posted this and hasn't been back to the site since. He really isn't interested in any of these 105 replies.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2013, 21:42
Do you offer a throw hiker discount?

Does Lucy love listening to Owls?

Hey ekih (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?49375-ekih) So you don't want to be a throw hiker?... good - hit the trail and enjoy section hiking and meeting throw hikers... does a body good....

rocketsocks
09-04-2013, 21:46
The OP posted this and hasn't been back to the site since. He really isn't interested in any of these 105 replies.
Yeah, I'm throw with it...:cool:

kayak karl
09-04-2013, 22:04
maybe he's going throw things.

atmilkman
09-04-2013, 22:44

Contemplating the next thread he can "throw" out there and see what he catches.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2013, 22:47
Is Throw Hiker's sort of like Midget Tossing?

q-tip
09-05-2013, 04:26
It's interesting all this is happening in your mind, if you spent some time actually hiking the AT-even a weekend you might have a point. And by the way, there is nothing easy about hiking the AT, me 1,100 mi.........

ChuckT
09-05-2013, 07:25
Such Phlegm. I don't know if the OP was serious or what but it sure did stir some of you up. Let me see ... I think I saw, first time, this kind of reaction back when I was on CompuServe and Genie. Nice to see nothing much has changed.

cvt

atmilkman
09-05-2013, 08:23
Such Phlegm. I don't know if the OP was serious or what but it sure did stir some of you up. Let me see ... I think I saw, first time, this kind of reaction back when I was on CompuServe and Genie. Nice to see nothing much has changed.

cvt Phlegm - isn't that the build-up left around the neck of the ketchup bottle? Never mind, that's flen.

rocketsocks
09-05-2013, 08:32
Phlegm - isn't that the build-up left around the neck of the ketchup bottle? Never mind, that's flen.
Never heard of it...must be a urban dic thing.

yep...it was

1. (http://flen.urbanup.com/40605)
flenShare on twitter (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#) Share on facebook (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#) Share on more (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#)
11 up (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#), 5 down (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#)

The black crusty stuff that forms around the top of a ketchup bottle.
Would you like some flen with those fries?

atmilkman
09-05-2013, 08:36
Never heard of it...must be a urban dic thing.

yep...it was

1. (http://flen.urbanup.com/40605)

flenShare on twitter (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#) Share on facebook (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#) Share on more (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#)

11 up (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#), 5 down (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flen#)

The black crusty stuff that forms around the top of a ketchup bottle.
Would you like some flen with those fries?

See there. And you thought I was just some hick.

rocketsocks
09-05-2013, 08:38
See there. And you thought I was just some hick.Never ever thought that about you...your taste and expansive knowledge in music excludes you from such a thing as one title only.

atmilkman
09-05-2013, 08:56
Never ever thought that about you...your taste and expansive knowledge in music excludes you from such a thing as one title only.

Funny you should mention that. I was just comparing these gals voices who are not in my usual genre. I'm leaning towards Ariana. how about you. Wont post the big link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YzEyv7YAJY4

rocketsocks
09-05-2013, 09:14
Funny you should mention that. I was just comparing these gals voices who are not in my usual genre. I'm leaning towards Ariana. how about you. Wont post the big link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YzEyv7YAJY4

Nor are they in mine...I can't call it, they're all good..but then I'm just a hick, hehe:D

...just figured I'd thru my 2 cents in

Tuckahoe
09-05-2013, 09:57
Oh I don't know. I tend to think hicks know more about music...

Hip hop artist = not hicks

Various early 20th cent southern hicks = finest musicians ever produced.

Odd Man Out
09-05-2013, 10:11

I think this stopped being about the OP's Q about half-way throw page 1.

Another Kevin
09-05-2013, 10:19
I think this stopped being about the OP's Q about half-way throw page 1.

So thow it onto the 'Humor' forum - it's funnier than some of the stuff that's been thrown there already!

wornoutboots
09-05-2013, 11:01
If you really wanted to be alone, fly you & yer pack to the High Sierras then travel "off trail' cross country, fish, bounce out of the woods for a resupply here & there then dig back in . What a Crazy Amazing Place to disappear for a few months!!

Symba
09-05-2013, 11:30
you should hang out with more thru hikers; throw hikers are always throwing around slang and talking stupid. They throw high fives, and hellos around like crazy. Stupid chatty jerks. They all throw in together like the college aged lost souls they are to split a cheap life lesson on the trail. They have fun, hike their hike, see some stuff, and generally throw down a pretty good trip.

Thru hikers generally hike the trail because they enjoy it- because the at is one of the prettiest, bestest, cooliest places on the planet. Sure there are people on it, seeing as 2/3rds of the nations people live fairly close to it and all. But thru-hikers don't let things like that bother them- they just accept them as part of the trail. Some folks travel in the winter, some walk offseason, silly folks walk in the wrong direction, some walk at night, some don't stay in shelters. Despite the fact that few books touch on the subject, you can ignore the carnival barkers encountered at every road crossing encouraging you to leave the peace of the woods and go to town for drinking and whoring.

Some thru-hikers are just walking in the woods. Most thru-hikers read books, most thru hikers understand the books don't always apply to them. Many thru-hikers understand that any type of hiker encountered online isn't representative of any hiker really. If you're not feeling social, that's okay, but probably not best to share that in a social setting- kinda makes me throw up a little on my keyboard personally. completely agree with bill on this> well said brother!

Symba
09-05-2013, 11:34
[QUOTE=Marta;1521229]Uh oh....

To the OP's statements:

Hiking the AT is completely optional. No one is required to do it.

If you think that it is easy because several thousand people have done it, you are wrong. It is physically challenging to cover that many miles on foot, and it is mentally challenging to keep at the task for long enough to complete it.

Want to make it more difficult? Do what I did, loose your damn glasses on a section hike! LOL. I just came back from ten days in Maine, had an awesome 100 mile wilderness experience in less than that; got annoyed at all the 'connected' people and their electronics (one a hole had a kindle fire in the shelter). In that case, move on and tent. You're carrying all you need to survive right? Plenty of open space and go SOBO like Just Bill says in off season. Anyway, this is a useless post now since some baby, the OP, was crying about not manning up to the deed. Oh, get really bad blisters too. I need my glasses for distance, made seeing the next blaze an amazing feet in itself! LOL. Ugh!

illabelle
09-05-2013, 11:51
See there. And you thought I was just some hick.

You're not? ;)

Ender
09-05-2013, 13:54
Are you all still throwing this thread around?

max patch
09-05-2013, 14:41
got annoyed at all the 'connected' people and their electronics (one a hole had a kindle fire in the shelter).

Thats no different than somebody reading a paperback with a headlamp.

If that bothers you -- and there is a whole lot worse crap that that in shelters -- you should tent.

daddytwosticks
09-05-2013, 16:02

If that bothers you -- and there is a whole lot worse crap that that in shelters -- you should tent. Agree 100%. My wife reads in bed w/a Nook. Much less annoying to me than a book/booklight combo when I'm trying to sleep. :)

BFI
09-05-2013, 16:35
My head hurts trying to figure this out, you don’t want to be around people, you won’t quit your job, you have to be fired, you don’t want to interact with any social aspects of hiking the AT, but if you see people they shouldn’t be the ones you just saw, you don’t want a trail name, and you don’t want to be part of; God forbid ,something a Women has done, and you want to do something no one else has done but will not have learned anything about yourself. So why did you post this so more than a thousand hikers could see it ?

kayak karl
09-05-2013, 17:56
he's passive suicidal !

Drybones
09-05-2013, 18:05
I can see how it would be tough for him to keep a job having to work around people, and unfortunately there aren't many jobs that don't involve others.

Wise Old Owl
09-05-2013, 20:48
Are you all still throwing this thread around?

Seriously - throw me a bone... $1 million dollars....

Symba
09-06-2013, 15:34

If that bothers you -- and there is a whole lot worse crap that that in shelters -- you should tent.
not true at all Max Patch. It isn't the same as someone reading a book with a head lamp. Books don't have noise. Books don't have moving figures; and it gets so quiet that the smallest things can be heard; even ear plugs. Plus, etiquette in shelters depicts limited head lamp use. Etiquette on the AT has changed drastically since my 2000 thru hike. When people didn't go with the flow of others then, i.e., limited use of volume on ear plugs and limited use of lamps, they would tent. A lot of you people are oblivious of other people's environments that are connected. Too many people are all about 'them' with the 'I' mentality; whereas, when a person is backpacking there is a complete connection of 'us' and not the singular person and everything being about them. With the use of the kindle fire it was uncalled for. Many go in the woods to disconnect and this is a complete intrusion on the majority.

wornoutboots
09-06-2013, 23:26
If the OP is serious, he may want to study this Amazing dude, Dick Proenneke living in the Alaska wilderness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss), !!

Poedog
09-10-2013, 11:49
The Sierra High Route is what you seek.

Ender
09-10-2013, 12:44
If the OP is serious, he may want to study this Amazing dude, [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]Dick Proenneke living in the Alaska wilderness

One of my favorite books is his:
http://www.amazon.com/One-Mans-Wilderness-Alaskan-Odyssey/dp/0882405136

There's a followup book that I haven't read yet that I really should.

max patch
09-10-2013, 12:54
If the OP is serious,

What do you think?

Thread started by OP: Started by ekih, 08-26-2013 03:34

Last activity per OP profile: 08-26-2013 03:34

yaduck9
09-10-2013, 14:20
What do you think?

Thread started by OP: Started by ekih, 08-26-2013 03:34

Last activity per OP profile: 08-26-2013 03:34

And yet........the thread lives on and on and........................................

kayak karl
09-10-2013, 14:32
if i go to disconnect the first thing i avoid is shelters. there have been inconsiderate people in shelters since the '70's (for me). nothing new.

Drybones
09-10-2013, 16:47
And yet........the thread lives on and on and........................................

Throw hikers have stamina.

kayak karl
09-10-2013, 16:53
Throw hikers have stamina. yes, most have been throw a lot!

Marta
09-10-2013, 19:40

The OP has a lot in common with the glory-seekers who appear on WB every year. First they ask about doing an AT thru-hike--from where they sit, it seems like a daring and novel thing to do. They'll be famous! People will admire them! No one they know has ever done such a thing. They're risking their lives!

Have these people ever hiked before? No. Are they motivated by love of hiking and the outdoors? No. They have zero experience with it. It's a romantic fantasy.

Then they realize that there are lots of hikers and would-be hikers here. Uh oh. Merely announcing on WB that you're going to thru-hike doesn't bring gasps of admiration from the crowd--the best it will garner is some good luck wishes. The more self-important the announcement, the more it is greeted with skepticism. The glory-seeker encounters, virtually, dozens and dozens of people who have been there, done that, and more.

Hmmm. Well if that won't impress them... The fantasy grows and morphs into something that will impress this jaded crowd--a hike in less than 30 days; a live-off-the-land hike...whatever.

Unfortunately, to most of us it just seems sad.

foodbag
09-27-2013, 16:18
Like Theosus said, if you would like to be alone with your thoughts try hiking North to South. I hiked from Peekskill NY to Duncannon PA without seeing the same hiker twice. With most people headed north, you pass them and maybe camp with them for a night and then they're gone.

Personally I would have preferred to travel with the pack as opposed to being by myself had circumstances been optimal at the time, but that's just me.

Hike your own hike and don't worry about what everyone else is doing, or why they're doing it and you'll be fine.

aficion
09-27-2013, 16:41
One who will throw in the towel before one starts, may as well just throw out the baby with the bathwater. Throw thick and thin, a throw hiker will be better company, throw down more humor, wisdom, and general goodness, than any permanently self styled, angst ridden throw out. I'm threw.

Train Wreck
09-27-2013, 16:51
I'm throworoughly against throw hikers myself. One time, after hiking throw a long and grueling day on the AT near Pearisburg, we arrived at our camp site to encounter a throworoughly obnoxious bunch of students from Blacksburg who were throwing down & throwing up simultaneously.Not to mention throwing gear all over the ground, and throwing beer bottles all over the camping area. I felt like throwing a fit but threw in my lot with the rest of the group who were throw for the day and wanted to stop. That night, we did not actually talk to the miscreants but I'm pretty sure they were throw hikers.

Another Kevin
09-28-2013, 18:55
Train Wreck: How do you manage to tell a story that long without getting a sore throwt?

grateful 2
09-28-2013, 21:51
OMG...Sounds like another lost sole. These are the type of thru-hikers we are looking for. It will give the other thru-hikers another guy to talk about. I lost my sole once on the AT. It took duct tape for me to hold it together.

Marmaduke
09-30-2013, 09:15
This thread will never dye......... nor do I want it too.

Abatis1948
09-30-2013, 12:51
Please remember it is their hike not yours! Most of usYahoos love the trail and the many different folks we interact with. It’s not theYahoos but the Entitled Yahoos I have a problem with. My family picked up andcarried down two large bags of trash from Preachers Rock this past Saturday. Someof the trash was very fresh and must have belonged to the three college age EntitledYahoos we passed on their descent. I guess their mothers were not there to clean up after them.

illabelle
09-30-2013, 13:03

If you don't want to dye the thread, you can purchase pre-dyed thread from any fabric store. I don't want to dye the thread either.

aficion
09-30-2013, 13:05

I too prefer undyed threads..... so natural!:)

max patch
09-30-2013, 13:37

Still hasn't been back. Up to 153 unread replies.

atmilkman
09-30-2013, 14:32
Still hasn't been back. Up to 153 unread replies.

Probably lurkin' and jurkin' admiring his creation.

Hoofit
09-30-2013, 15:01
ekih,
Get over yourself!
Man, are you a p-ssed off individual!
Sounds to me like you need a hug, real bad....
Don't write off the trail until you've at least attempted it
Hey, there are many, many wonderful folk out there
And who knows, you might just have a good time!
If you want tranquility, realize that the trail thins out considerably after Virginia as most of the hikers fade out
Good luck with your future hikes, it's a big wide world out there...

Another Kevin
09-30-2013, 17:22

He's probably sitting somewhere reading the thread, like a king on the throwne, and wondering why we find him so hilarious.