PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in car at Mt. Rogers TH

mts4602
08-26-2013, 10:37
My friend and I will be hiking around Mt. Rogers this weekend, but we will arrive quite late (probably midnight or so) and thus the Grindstone campround is not an option because they say they close their gates at 10pm. Can we just park at the trail head and sleep in the car? Is this legal?

Thanks,

Matt

The Solemates
08-26-2013, 18:32
If its illegal I should have been arrested 100 times by now.

Cooldays
08-26-2013, 19:18
There are so many campsites nearby that youcan set up at night and enjoy. I usually stay at 3 rivers junction under the bridge. You can also stay at an official campground on the way into Damascus that is convenient but un needed when you have been there at night before There are a dozen campsites along the road if you don't mind traffic, and there is a parking area with access to the creeper trail with a bunch of campsites .2 miles away or so on the creeper. No need to sleep in the car....ask at MRO.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-26-2013, 20:08
This sounds like a perfectly cromulent plan to me.

johnnybgood
08-26-2013, 21:07
This sounds like a perfectly cromulent plan to me.

Cromulent -Ironical word to mean legitimate ; per urban dictionary 2013

Now for the question ; I'd sleep under the stars , ie cowboy camping unless the weather forces a setup of a tarp.or tent.

Gray Blazer
08-27-2013, 07:42
I like the ironicalnousiosityness of words. I also like free carcamping near the AT. If you park on Whitetop you may catch a beautiful sunrise.