PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking

GinaF
08-26-2013, 12:53
Hello Everyone, I have been doing short hiking trips for several years. Roughly three day trips. Always with others. I am beginning my research to start section hiking the AT beginning next year. As of now I will be solo. I am a little nervous but also excited about this leap. My plan, as of now, is to do several 7/10 day trips. I am a little daunted by the amount of information out there. Where should I start my research? Which books? Logs? Or what? Thanks in advance.

illabelle
08-26-2013, 16:23
Hi Gina, and Welcome to WhiteBlaze! :welcome
Start here, http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail and read everything several times. Every tab, every menu, cyber hike on the interactive map, immerse yourself.
Order a trail guide (I have both of these, and they're very useful): https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=719&compid=1 and http://www.theatguide.com/
Eventually you'll need some maps. I got mine used from somebody on WB. They're a few years old, but so what. You can purchase maps from the ATC (first link above), or search elsewhere. You don't have to get them all at once.
This, http://www.atdist.com/ , is a great online mileage calculator, that keeps a log of your mileage for you...except that I cleared some search history and lost it all.:(
I'm not into equipment so much, so I'll let others help you with that topic. Hope this gets you started! :)

quasarr
08-26-2013, 17:46
Looks like you have some experience already. A 7 day section isn't much different from a 3 day! Are you just concerned about being solo? Logistics? Gear? What are your concerns?

slbirdnerd
08-27-2013, 08:29
Hi, GinaL! Caught you on another thread too. Welcome! I have learned a TON here on WB, use The AT Guide, got the GA, NC and Smokies trail maps (planning ahead...) and I am always reading someone's hiking books: AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, A Walk in the Woods, Becoming Odyssa, Three Hundred Zeroes... The list goes on, and you can learn something, and be inspired, by them all.

GinaF
08-27-2013, 10:37
Thank you everyone. I already have some of the items mentioned. I will look into the rest. Seven days doesn't seem like a big leap from three days, but friends say it is. IDK. I think I have two main concerns. First, being solo. Wow, seems like such a big move for me. But I also welcome the challenge and growth. The second is this will be the first hike I have researched and planned. I am a much more passive hiker. Friends say, hey lets go.... and I say Cool, when? They plan and talk. I listen and show up on time. This will be all me.

Water Rat
08-27-2013, 11:05
First of all... :welcome to White Blaze!!! :)

Take a deep breath - It is way too easy to be overwhelmed when planning your first week-long solo hike. But, it will get easier! Seven days on the A.T. really is not that much different than three days on the A.T. Why? Because the resupply points are pretty close together. It would be different if you were planning on beginning in the 100 Mile Wilderness - That would take a little more strategy. You have already been on shorter hikes, so you know what you need to bring. The only difference is you will require more food for the seven day trip. Just make sure to include a resupply point at about the third day of your first seven day hike. You'll get the hang of it!

The solo part of hiking will take care of itself on the A.T. It really is a social trail. Besides, when you hike by yourself, you can stop as much (or, as little!) as you want! Take pictures, look at the wildflowers and wildlife, just enjoy doing what you want to do. I just have one word of warning - Longer hikes can be addictive! You might find you need to take a week off to go hiking...then, another week. Before you know it - You are strung-out on long distance hiking!!!! Eeeeeek! :eek:

The main thing is to have fun. If you have any questions we're here for ya!

serenitynow
08-27-2013, 15:17
Hi Gina!

(I'm a newbie here myself)....I'm getting ready to section hike next year- late summer into early fall- and I'm excited about finally realizing a dream I've had for years. I'm an experienced solo hiker myself (unless you count my four-legged, furry bff, Bella). My biggest piece of advice to help you get used to being solo is to, well, be SOLO. Most of my friends are NOT into roughing it in any way and couldn't live a day without a flat iron or a flushing toilet. I finally decided that if I wanted to do something, I wouldn't let lack of a partner keep me from doing it! I just got out there and started hiking alone. I admit that it did feel strange at first. A lot of people thought I was crazy to go into the woods alone (I wonder if male solo hikers experience as much concern from others). But I just became more experienced with being alone in the woods to the point that I feel completely comfortable with it now. I've had some emergencies on the trail, but I learned that I could handle them. I know now that I'm perfectly capable of rescuing myself. I see and hear and experience much more when I'm alone on the trail. I'm able to move through the woods quietly and enjoy the sound of the trees and animals around me. I love challenging myself and feeling the thrill of learning about what I'm capable of. Being solo is a beautiful thing! Plan some shorter solo hikes and increase them to challenge yourself. You'll be ready for the big hike in no time!

swatford
09-25-2013, 23:46
I recently decided to do my first solo hike from Springer Mountain to the NC border next fall. I've done some light hiking in the past but nothing on my own. I'm not nervous about hiking alone but I am wondering what gear I need to have and what I don't need. I'm starting from scratch with my gear since I relied on my hiking partner in the past who had all of the gear we needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Water Rat
09-26-2013, 07:35
I recently decided to do my first solo hike from Springer Mountain to the NC border next fall. I've done some light hiking in the past but nothing on my own. I'm not nervous about hiking alone but I am wondering what gear I need to have and what I don't need. I'm starting from scratch with my gear since I relied on my hiking partner in the past who had all of the gear we needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

:welcome to WB!!! The number one thing you need... The desire to get out on the trail! :D Beyond that, you can make do with any kind of gear.

There is all kinds of gear out there and you will receive all kinds of answers. :D The hard part is sifting through all of the suggestions you will get and find what actually works for you. Do you have any friends who have backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc? If so, I would ask if I could borrow and test their equipment. That is a lot cheaper than running out and buying something that may, or may not work.

With that, here are some questions for you. Have you done any backpacking? I am not asking in a mean way, just trying to get a feel what experience you have had. Are you looking to start with day hikes, or are you interested in just jumping straight into backpacking? Do you have any large sporting good stores near you where you can look at gear and touch it?

Day hikes are a great way to figure out what footware, and backpacks will work for you. Overnight trips are a great way to see if the entire backpacking kit will suit your needs. Not knowing just how much experience you have, I am hesitant to just start throwing suggestions out there.

You don't want to just run out and buy a backpack... Counter intuitively, you will want to wait until you have your gear amassed to see what size of a backpack you will need. The main thing about a backpack is that you need it to be comfortable. It needs to fit your body and it needs to move with you. If it doesn't feel good empty, it definitely will not feel good when you are hauling your "home" on your back. :)

What kind of suggestions would you like from us?

Water Rat
09-26-2013, 07:36
Hi Gina!

(I'm a newbie here myself)....I'm getting ready to section hike next year- late summer into early fall- and I'm excited about finally realizing a dream I've had for years. I'm an experienced solo hiker myself (unless you count my four-legged, furry bff, Bella). My biggest piece of advice to help you get used to being solo is to, well, be SOLO. Most of my friends are NOT into roughing it in any way and couldn't live a day without a flat iron or a flushing toilet. I finally decided that if I wanted to do something, I wouldn't let lack of a partner keep me from doing it! I just got out there and started hiking alone. I admit that it did feel strange at first. A lot of people thought I was crazy to go into the woods alone (I wonder if male solo hikers experience as much concern from others). But I just became more experienced with being alone in the woods to the point that I feel completely comfortable with it now. I've had some emergencies on the trail, but I learned that I could handle them. I know now that I'm perfectly capable of rescuing myself. I see and hear and experience much more when I'm alone on the trail. I'm able to move through the woods quietly and enjoy the sound of the trees and animals around me. I love challenging myself and feeling the thrill of learning about what I'm capable of. Being solo is a beautiful thing! Plan some shorter solo hikes and increase them to challenge yourself. You'll be ready for the big hike in no time!

:welcome Love the can-do attitude! :D

swatford
09-26-2013, 10:48
I have done some backpacking in the Rockies. I actually just moved to an area that does not have a big outdoor store so I'm going to have to see what is available around here because I really do not want to buy a pack or boots without trying them on in person. I actually have a friend that has everything I would need but he now lives about 1,000 miles away from me so that's just not going to be helpful :) From the backpacking I've done in the past I know what tent, sleeping bag and other gear I need and what brands I like. I'm really looking more for what is and is not needed on this trail during the fall. For example I was thinking about bringing a fleece for the colder temperatures at night but then a friend suggested that I might be able to get away with good layering and not have to carry such a bulky item with me.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-26-2013, 10:57
I'm really looking more for what is and is not needed on this trail during the fall. For example I was thinking about bringing a fleece for the colder temperatures at night but then a friend suggested that I might be able to get away with good layering and not have to carry such a bulky item with me.

I agree with your friend. Layers are a better way to go, since it allows you to adjust your level of warmth.

nu2hike
09-26-2013, 11:07
When I mention hiking to my friends they scatter to the four corners of the earth! :) Therefore all of my hikes are done solo! Depending on the time of year you may or may not be alone! On some of my hikes being alone was a real struggle. On other hikes I've rarely seen another soul! You should be prepared mentally for either scenario! I just got back from an 8 day hike on the AT and spent very night but 2 alone! I seldom saw another hiker during the day!
Before going on a longer hike solo, I suggest you spend one or two nights alone first to find out if you enjoy it! It's not for everyone! I'm not trying to discourage you!( as I mentioned I always hike alone) I just want you to see the whole picture!
The logistics of doing a longer hike can be broken down into shorter 2-3 day hikes as recommended above.
Whatever you decide, I wish you the best & hope you enjoy your hike!