PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Drive hikes?

TurboPants
08-26-2013, 13:39
I am going to be crossing through SNP and skyline drive on 211/522 near Thornton Gap. I was debating on taking a short hike in that area. I'd like to get some panoramic shots with my camera, and anything else that makes for good photo ops. The AT crosses at the skyline/211 junction but on the map that section on the AT looks pretty blah in dense forest. I don't mind spending the $15 to go down skyline drive but I don't have time to drive too far so I'm not sure it's worth the price since I'd just drive to the nearest trail head and hike. Anyone ever do the ridge trail on Old Rag? The bluff top looked interesting from google earth. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Deer Hunter
08-26-2013, 13:52
Mary's Rock is at the Thornton Gap entrance. You can park at the Panorama rest area. It is a short hike up.

Studlintsean
08-26-2013, 14:12
Mary's Rock is at the Thornton Gap entrance. You can park at the Panorama rest area. It is a short hike up.

I iwll second Mary's rock. Here is a pic a year or two ago with the fiance and dogs...

Malto
08-26-2013, 15:27
Old Rag is a fun little hike. Quite a few folks go there on the weekends but that's to be expected. I believe the best views from SNP are up on the north end of the park.

TurboPants
08-26-2013, 15:48
Thanks for the input. I hadn't even noticed Mary's Rock on the maps. It looks like the short trip from the main junction there is okay. Someone on a blog said if you do go on Skyline you can hike there from the Pinnacle and get a lot better views. If I decide to do skyline drive maybe I'll try that.

I'm staying about an hour east of Skyline Dr so Old Rag is closer. Only draw back is most say it's the #1 most crowded site and with it being labor day weekend I bet it will be bad, unless I start at 6 AM lol. It's supposed to be vacation so I'm not sure how ambitious I'll get.

Malto, how far north in the park do you mean? Are you talking way up north by Elkwallow or in the Panorama area?

Mayer
08-26-2013, 16:04
In my opinion, Stony Man overlook is the best view in SNP. It's near Mary's rock. South of marys rock

Sailing_Faith
08-26-2013, 17:07
Don't miss a hike up to Hawksbill... That and Hightop are a couple of my favorites. When you are there hiking, you should plan to drive through the park on Skyline... It is a really beautiful place and many of the best views are seen from the turnouts. It is a long drive... Especially at a max speed of 35mph... But worth it IMHO.

SNP is a very special place for me, hope you enjoy it!

johnnybgood
08-26-2013, 17:14
Hawksbill is another great view , highest summit in the park , just under a mile from the upper Hawksbill parking lot.

The hike to Little Stony Man is even easier to get to, only 4 /10ths of a mile from the car and an easy hike to the cliffs.
From this vantage point you can catch a beautiful sunrise or sunset .
Looking over your shoulder to the left you can see the higher cliffs of Stony Man which tower another 200 feet straight up, offering yet an even better viewpoint of the horizon beyond.

mak1277
08-26-2013, 17:47
If you're not afraid of a little rock scrambling, Mary's Rock actually has 360* views...not many other places in the park can boast that. It's a nice easy little hike and can be accessed from two different spots (panorama, as well as another parking lot a few miles south of there).

Studlintsean
08-26-2013, 17:56
If you're not afraid of a little rock scrambling, Mary's Rock actually has 360* views...not many other places in the park can boast that. It's a nice easy little hike and can be accessed from two different spots (panorama, as well as another parking lot a few miles south of there).

One other thing to point out if hiking with a child, SO, etc is the side from the south is significantly easier.

TurboPants
08-26-2013, 22:36
Stupid question, but I see SNP charges $15 to drive down skyline but if you are just crossing skyline drive on 211 you can park at the welcome center by the panorama and never technically get on skyline drive, so does this mean you aren't entering the park? I don't really care I'm just fuzzy on this since I've never been to SNP. For the record, I'll be flying solo on this little excursion so no children (other than me if you count immaturity). I only have one day to devote to running around and I'm not sure if I'll do skyline drive or not because I definitely wouldn't have time to do the whole thing and a hike in one day unless I try these shorter ones. You've all given me a lot of ideas, thanks for that! Decisions decisions....

thestin
08-27-2013, 04:47
The Panorama parking area can only be accessed from the Skyline Drive, so you will have to pay the 15 dollar fee to get to it.

johnnybgood
08-27-2013, 06:08
There is access to the back parking area at panarama right off Rt.211. You may park a car there and walk the stairs to the restrooms and even cross the parking lot to the trail head to the AT.
The 211 access was there from the old Panarama days when there was a restaurant at that location. The only thing you can't do is access the Skyline Drive by car from the 211 parking area.

Rocket Jones
08-27-2013, 06:20
The park fees are often waived on holidays. Check with the rangers at the entrance when you get there.

QHShowoman
08-27-2013, 06:28
The park fees are often waived on holidays. Check with the rangers at the entrance when you get there.

I've never ever had my entrance fee waived at SNP in a decade of going there (I buy an annual pass anyway, because it pays for itself after 2 visits). Even in the dead of winter when it was too icy to hike, those rangers are there at the entrance station! Summer holidays are peak times for park users, so I doubt they'd be all that generous.

QHShowoman
08-27-2013, 06:32
I've never ever had my entrance fee waived at SNP in a decade of going there.

And note that I'm saying this out of envy!

Rocket Jones
08-27-2013, 11:08
LOL It's all in the timing. Even this last weekend my fee was waived at a National Forest for the birthday of the National Park Service. I still bought an annual pass, because mine was expiring.

TurboPants
08-27-2013, 16:09
Since I'll be coming from the Culpepper area, I don't want to drive all the way down skyline because of time and after several hikes I'll be beat. I'd like to get home by 6 pm since I'm supposed to be visiting with the family and all heh.

So the plan is get into the park at the 211/panorama junction by dawn and try to get some sunrise pics at one of the pull off stops. And then try to knock out Mary's Rock trail by by 9 am (3 mi). Then drive south and do the Stony Man nature trail (1.6 mi). After that drive farther south to do the Hawksbill Trail, which there are a few to pick from. I'd likely do the shortest route to get to the birds nest. After that I'm not sure if I'd have time but I thought about trying South River Falls, since it's only 2.5 mi round trip. Have to see how the knees feel after each little mini hike. Any alternate suggestions? Thanks all!

johnnybgood
08-27-2013, 17:45
If you arrive at the entry station before sunrise you will likely see no attendant at the booth. Orange road cones may be the only obstacles to navigate or move. * I always show the Ranger my SNP Park pass on the way out if I get there before they open. The Tunnel Overlook, Hazel Mtn. good bets for sunrise pics heading south.

Blissful
08-30-2013, 20:30
There are certain events where the fees are waived. Like last weekend was the birthday of the National Park Service. it happens a few times a year.
Become a trail maintainer with the PATC (patc.net) and you can get it waived...wear your shirt and have your PATC sticker.

TurboPants
09-01-2013, 10:06
I entered at 211 at 6 am on Saturday and they were closed but no cones blocking the road. They had a sign saying pay upon exit. I drove south to the first tunnel overlook and got some sunrise pics.

Then I drove back to the Mary's Rock parking lot and hiked the AT up to the top. I was the only person up there and I had a good 20 mins of solitude to enjoy the view. Coming back down I tweaked a muscle so The only other hike I attempted was the 1.7 mi dark hollow falls. It was really busy in the park after 10 am and it got hot so Im glad I went early!

I wanted to do Stony Mtn but my body was telling me no, so for once I listenned. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Deer Hunter
09-01-2013, 12:35
I entered at 211 at 6 am on Saturday and they were closed but no cones blocking the road. They had a sign saying pay upon exit. I drove south to the first tunnel overlook and got some sunrise pics.

Then I drove back to the Mary's Rock parking lot and hiked the AT up to the top. I was the only person up there and I had a good 20 mins of solitude to enjoy the view. Coming back down I tweaked a muscle so The only other hike I attempted was the 1.7 mi dark hollow falls. It was really busy in the park after 10 am and it got hot so Im glad I went early!

I wanted to do Stony Mtn but my body was telling me no, so for once I listenned. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I did a loop around Jones and Doyles' River falls yesterday. I agree, it got hot. How did you like the view from Mary's Rock?

TurboPants
09-02-2013, 23:01
The sky was kinda foggy and clouded at first but I had a few breaks. Being the 1st up the trail was nice for the solitude factor but I cleared out all the spider webs for everyone else. And about an hour later someone at an overlook spot pulled in just to tell me I had a giant spider on my back. Turns out my white t-shirt made it obvious that they spotted it from the road lol. Gotta love the park!

I honestly didn't expect much of a view from Mary's Rock but I was VERY pleasantly surprised to say the least. On my way down I actually saw a 250-300# bear. I was taking a picture of a flower and he strolled across the trail right by the parking lot at Thornton. We both did a double take and locked eyes and he took off. The fuzzy butthead moved too fast for me to get my camera focused for a picture. So that was pretty cool!

Here some pics of that morning (sorry so large)

Deer Hunter
09-03-2013, 07:09
Glad you got to see a bear. :) I wish I would have. :(

QHShowoman
09-03-2013, 18:43
Glad you got to see a bear. :) I wish I would have. :(

Come to SNP with me. A bear sighting is almost guaranteed.

Deer Hunter
09-03-2013, 18:46
Come to SNP with me. A bear sighting is almost guaranteed.

Up until this year I was seeing them almost everytime I hiked or visited there. Don't know what the problem is this year. All I have seen this year is snakes and squirrels.

johnnybgood
09-03-2013, 19:24
I tend to agree with DH , this year has been different than year's past when seeing a bear in the park was a given.
After looking at my hiking log for Shenandoah this year, I've hiked 77 miles in the park and have only seen 1 bear. Quite odd indeed.

Although ,according to my journal there were a total of 3 close calls, meaning a hiker or group of people have seen a bear minutes before meeting me on the trail.

I haven't been in the right place at the right time I suppose.

TurboPants
09-03-2013, 19:55
It could just be different weather has altered where the food sources are at given elevations. Northern VA has had one of the wetter summers in recent history so that may play a factor. If ya'll are desperate go hover around the trash lol, I guarantee you'll find one eventually. OR you can hike with a few honeybuns tied to your belt like I did. :p

No Directions
09-03-2013, 20:37
Skyline Drive is worth the price of admission. On one motorcycle trip I saw 6 bears. Including a mother and 2 cubs that I was able to observe for at least 15 minutes before they wandered off into the woods.