PDA

View Full Version : New Section Hiker

GinaF
08-26-2013, 14:39
Hi everyone. I want to start section hiking the AT next year. I want to start at the start in Georgia but don't necessarily need to go when all the thru hikers are starting. So when is the best time there?

The Greenman
08-26-2013, 15:32
If you don't want to participate in the "Running of the bulls", just wait 'till late spring/early summer - won't have to worry about the colder weather gear etc.

JustaTouron
08-26-2013, 15:37
If you don't want to participate in the "Running of the bulls", just wait 'till late spring/early summer - won't have to worry about the colder weather gear etc.

Late spring, early summer OR fall. Early spring/mid spring = crowded. mid Summer = Very hot. Winter = Cold.

hikernutcasey
08-26-2013, 15:53
Late spring, early summer OR fall. Early spring/mid spring = crowded. mid Summer = Very hot. Winter = Cold.
I think that most of the thru hikers will be off and running by late April so a trip in May would be ideal in my opinion. No crowds, comfortable temps and all the April showers will have brought the May flowers :)

BobTheBuilder
08-26-2013, 16:08
Where was this advice 8 years ago?:)

I did the approach trail up and back in August (very hot) and then the section from Springer to Neels between Christmas and New Years (cold). Since then, every section has been Spring or Fall. Much more pleasant.

Jagger
08-26-2013, 16:14
I hiked the approach to Springer Mt. then on to Fontana Dam beginning May 16, 2013. Weather was perfect, lot's of nice flowers and still had a chance to meet a few late starting thru hikers. Trail was not crowded after the first couple of days.

FarmerChef
08-26-2013, 16:44
I too have to second the Spring/Fall idea. As a section hiker hoping to finish the trail next year, my wife and I agree that the spring/fall is the best time to hike much of the trail versus either summer or winter. Keep in mind that once you leave Georgia and get farther and farther away from the start, your sections will leave the thru's behind still starting when you go hiking. So, with regard to starting at AFSP (Springer) a May start may leave most of the thrus behind. But after you get a couple hundred miles north, you're trail "traffic" conditions will improve such that you'll have your pick of dates as the main "bubble" works it's way northward and/or starts behind you. :)

Fwiw, as a section hiker, some of our favorite hikes have turned out to be when the bubble is coming through. Being somewhat older, my wife and I enjoy the older hikers the most and the party crowd the least but have had a good time with all of them.

How long of a section are you considering (days and miles)?

fredmugs
08-26-2013, 22:52
I did my first section from Springer to Deep Gap and it was the middle of May. Great weather and not a lot of people on the trail except around Blood Mtn where there was day hikers. If you're flexible just pick a general time and then go when the weather forecast suits your needs. It's the biggest benefit of section hiking. Dry is greatly better than a little too hot or a little too cold.

slbirdnerd
08-27-2013, 08:25
May/June: Decent weather, good water supply. I "started" section hiking the AT from Springer this year, but took my son and only spent one night. I'll be back down in 2014 to do most of GA. If you decide to go then let me know.

CB1821
08-27-2013, 09:01
We started our section hike at Springer at the end of May. As everyone states, it is/was a good time to hike. Just a few thru hikers, temps in the 70's, plenty of water, and few bugs (lots of poison ivy, however. I think it is the GA state plant;)).

However, if you are wanting to avoid big crowds, you might also want to consider going just before or just after Memorial Day weekend. The trail became a little congested that weekend, and when we camped around Blue Mountain Shelter that Saturday it was "party central" - well behaved, though.

GinaF
08-27-2013, 10:47
Thanks everyone. Spring and Fall. I am planning to do a seven day.

MuddyWaters
08-27-2013, 20:46
Late April /early May is a good time.
Still quite a few thru hikers for the ambience.
Not enough to be crowded or anything.
Just interesting people to meet and talk to.
Weather warm, nights mild, not hot, not cold.

twilight
08-27-2013, 21:32
We did GA in Oct/Nov a few years back and hit the fall colors at what seemed like the peak time. Very enjoyable hike and not very crowded. Went southbound from Winding Stairs, NC to Springer, GA. Took us about 10 days if I remember correctly.

Twilight