PDA

View Full Version : power bars gave my hiker TMJ so bad she cannot open her mouth

08-26-2013, 16:54
It got cold, the power bars got hard and are almost impossible to bite off a piece. So now she is in town and cannot open her mouth. Hiker hunger sets in big time after 1,700 miles and now you cannot eat.

Has this happened to anyone?

What did you do?

I said to go to doc and maybe they will give some muscle relaxers. ??

Venchka
08-26-2013, 17:52
There are many many bars on the market that should not do what the Power Bars did.
Carry the Power Bars in a shirt or pants pocket close to your body to keep them warm and somewhat chewable.
I quit Power Bars after the first one because of their hard, brittle nature.
I hope your daughter recovers and gets well and fed soon.

Wayne

Venchka
08-26-2013, 17:56
ps: I'm going to stick my bar inventory (Clif Builders, Premier Protein & LaraBars) in the fridge. I'll report back on which bars work best in cold weather.
Thanks for the heads up!

Wayne

redseal
08-26-2013, 18:00
ps: I'm going to stick my bar inventory (Clif Builders, Premier Protein & LaraBars) in the fridge. I'll report back on which bars work best in cold weather.
Thanks for the heads up!

Wayne

I use Clif Builders and Premier Protein all the time. Helps that you can buy it in bulk!

Northern Lights
08-26-2013, 20:38
I have TMJ, and my dentist showed me how to unlock my jaw. See if she can see a dentist that has experience with it.

Another Kevin
08-26-2013, 21:23
Any kind of bars are a bad idea in the winter. Unless maybe you cut them into bite-sized pieces.

Recommended: cookies and crackers. Nuts. Cheese and salami, sliced into bite-sized pieces. Candies (not bars, or if you do use bars, preslice into bite-sized pieces). Dried fruit/gorp. Breads that can be precut into bite-sized pieces.

Basically, nothing that you can't pop into your mouth whole. Because practically anything edible will freeze, and it's a major pain to bite into a big frozen block of anything.

In winter, I'll usually have a hot breakfast (oatmeal with brown sugar and dried fruit or some such) PLUS a hot drink, then munch on the bite-sized stuff throughout the day, then have a hot dinner (something dehydrated that can be reconstituted easily in a freezer bag).

Different Socks
08-26-2013, 22:57
Had a PB in my pack from Springer to north of the Smokies. Cleaned out my pack and found mouse teeth lines on the PB. Figured if the mouse didn't like it, neither will I and I haven't carried one ever since in all the miles I have done. That reason and the fact they are so difficult to chew when they get cold.

Venchka
08-26-2013, 23:14
It isn't winter yet. Maybe New England is cooler than mid-Atlantic states. I just took a Larabar from the Fridge after about 90 minutes. Firm like Snickers wwould be. Edible. I suppose if I were in the Wimenuche in September, I would put a bar in my pocket for awhile before eating it.
Sam's Club is good for bars (Kind bars too), jerky, nuts & dried fruit in bulk. There is a new Sprouts Farmers Market in my 'hood with a large bulk foods sectiion.
All need is time to go places.
Keeping food warm.

Wayne

Trail Bug
08-27-2013, 06:29
My jaw did the same thing. A good chiropractor can fix TMJ quickly and show you exercises to help keep the jaw aligned.

mrcoffeect
08-27-2013, 08:26
what does tmj stand for?

nu2hike
08-27-2013, 08:47
Temporomandibular joint!

08-27-2013, 16:29
thanks for all the ideas I think I will recommend a dentist first. I did say power bars but I meant to say protein bars.
I resupply all types, seems like anything greater than10 grams protein is just to yucky to eat.

Yes, winy young lady she will send the ones she does not like back!

49 degrees in town but up on top of killington peak ~~4,000 feet I bet it was low 40's.

Venchka
08-27-2013, 17:07
Pockets are convenient warmers. Something tells me there may be more to this than a cold, firm protein bar.
On a personal note, I'm wondering why I loaded up on 20g & 30g protein bars. I think 10g per may be plenty. I'm quite sure that I'll eat 2 or 3 a day. In addition to other protein sources.
I do hope that your daughter is fit and on the trail soon.

Wayne

mikec
08-27-2013, 17:22
The only problem that I had with Power Bars was constipation. I use Cliff, Steel, Pemmican or Nature Valley Granola bars on the trail.