PDA

View Full Version : Where To Park?

WalksInDark
08-26-2013, 17:19
I finished my last section hike in Duncannon, PA and am now ready to do another or two more northern AT sections. (P.S. depending upon the heat and elevation changes I might cover 5 miles in a day or up to 12).

Also, I don't mind starting the AT further miles north of Duncannon (I can always day hike the missing section parts), if that is where a good car storage location happens to be.).

My question is, where is a good place to leave my car for 4-6 days? (Based upon the reception I got as a backpacker in Duncannon two years ago, I really am not comfortable trusting the locals to leave my, new-to-me and much nicer than the rusted out beaters I usually drive, car alone there.)

What I have done in the past, and plan to do again this time, is to hike until I am out of food or energy :)...and then hitch hike back to my car.

Anybody have any suggestions?

moldy
08-26-2013, 17:32
The place I left my car in Duncannon was behind the Doyle Hotel. I asked if it was ok to park there. No problems.

marylandmymaryland
08-26-2013, 18:16
http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

try this site, hope it helps!

WalksInDark
08-26-2013, 19:08
Thanks Maryland....I had forgotten about that website. From just looking at it for a few minutes, it is much improved from the last time I used it. The user comments and rating are particularly helpful...now if we could just get everyone to put GPS data on their sites to help those of us who are directionally challenged.

fredmugs
08-26-2013, 22:48
If you can go from Duncannon to DWG leave your car there. I hiked SOBO from Bear Mtn to there and had no issues leaving my car there for I guess a week.

Ezra
08-26-2013, 23:32
I parked behind the Doyle in their lot last week for a few nights and had no problems.

WalksInDark
08-27-2013, 12:08
Sounds like the Doyle is the best solution. Thanks everyone!:)