PDA

View Full Version : Cheap light weight sleep system for 2

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 11:56
I mainly hike by myself, but my wife is expressing an interest in doing a couple over-night hikes with me. If she was going to do this on a regular basis I would invest a bit of money and get something nice. However, I am not sure it will be more than 1 or 2 times. Therefore, I am looking for advice on how to assemble a sleep system that will suffice until she decides. It would be fair weather camping. I have already picked up a llbean microlite 2 tent at their discount store for $62. Now I need something to sleep in and on. maybe a quilt or the like. It can't be very heavy because I will be lugging everything. Any suggestions?

chall
08-27-2013, 12:44
I mainly hike by myself, but my wife is expressing an interest in doing a couple over-night hikes with me. If she was going to do this on a regular basis I would invest a bit of money and get something nice. However, I am not sure it will be more than 1 or 2 times. Therefore, I am looking for advice on how to assemble a sleep system that will suffice until she decides. It would be fair weather camping. I have already picked up a llbean microlite 2 tent at their discount store for $62. Now I need something to sleep in and on. maybe a quilt or the like. It can't be very heavy because I will be lugging everything. Any suggestions?

I took my wife on her first overnight trip back in April in PA. She really only had hiking boots gear-wise. I would definitely recommend finding out when your local REI (hopefully there's one close to you) is having their next garage sale. Picked up a Gregory Jade pack, and a Big Agnes Aircore for about $115 total. Not too shabby. As far as sleeping bags goes, I carried my 20* down bag and unzipped it to use as a blanket for both of us in my 2-person tent. Worked like a charm. Hope that helps!

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 12:56
I have heard of these REI sales. Not sure if there is any in Maine. Will look. Llbean has similar sales and I get good deals there every so often. Actually I am looking for a way to do it creatively from regular bedding. I have seen some suggest type of blanket as an alternative to a sleeping bag. Can't remember what kind or if it is expensive. I would likely let her use my exped ul7 for a pad and I would use an old torso therma-rest pad I have. I have a small compressible pillow for her. My sleeping bag does not unzip all the way to allow it to be used as a blanket. I have found that hikers have creative ideas. I could make it happen, but believe it is likely someone has a better idea.

Rocket Jones
08-27-2013, 13:53
Check with Enlightened Equipment about making a custom slightly oversized down quilt (40*? 50*?). I would think though, that you'd have more problems with two sleeping pads side-by-side than a single cover over the top.

FarmerChef
08-27-2013, 13:57
Hey BB - what kind of night time temps do you anticipate? My wife and I zip our fleece liners together during the summer and use silk liners to bump it 1 or 2 degrees more. It's good down to 50, especially inside the tarp. If it's going to go down to 40 we'll bring warm clothes to sleep in and if it's going down much below that we bump it up and bring our apex quilt. It's all sized for 2 people and weighs a little more than a pound per person. But...it's not for everyone.

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 13:59
Check with Enlightened Equipment about making a custom slightly oversized down quilt (40*? 50*?). I would think though, that you'd have more problems with two sleeping pads side-by-side than a single cover over the top.

You are correct. The pad situation is not a workable system in the long run. I am trying to piece meal a system before spending much money in case she never does this again. It is likely I should just buy a Big Agnes Creek 30 and another pad. Just looking for a cheap alternative to be used just as a test to see if she wants to do it again.

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 14:01
Hey BB - what kind of night time temps do you anticipate? My wife and I zip our fleece liners together during the summer and use silk liners to bump it 1 or 2 degrees more. It's good down to 50, especially inside the tarp. If it's going to go down to 40 we'll bring warm clothes to sleep in and if it's going down much below that we bump it up and bring our apex quilt. It's all sized for 2 people and weighs a little more than a pound per person. But...it's not for everyone.

Knowing her, it would have to be warm and clear (mid 40's at night at lowest). Where did you get the fleeces? We would sleep in clothes and use each other for heat.

FarmerChef
08-27-2013, 14:43
I believe this is what we use though the image is different than the old one: http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Sof-Fleece-Sleeping-Bag-Blue/dp/B002YXKFSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1377628775&sr=1-1&keywords=stansport+fleece

As weighed on a scale, our fleece bags weigh 19.2oz (ok, so 1 pound 3.2 ounces). My wife sleeps a bit on the cold side and I roast. Combine the two and...voila! That said, it does help to spoon when it's cold and we pull the bag over our heads when one of us is too cold. Works like a charm.

The silk liners we got on ebay for about $10 a piece and they've lasted for 1,500 miles so far. Not sure about the quality but they are durable.

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 14:47
I believe this is what we use though the image is different than the old one: http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Sof-Fleece-Sleeping-Bag-Blue/dp/B002YXKFSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1377628775&sr=1-1&keywords=stansport+fleece

As weighed on a scale, our fleece bags weigh 19.2oz (ok, so 1 pound 3.2 ounces). My wife sleeps a bit on the cold side and I roast. Combine the two and...voila! That said, it does help to spoon when it's cold and we pull the bag over our heads when one of us is too cold. Works like a charm.

The silk liners we got on ebay for about $10 a piece and they've lasted for 1,500 miles so far. Not sure about the quality but they are durable.

FC, you are my hero (don't get too excited. I have low standards). Bookmarking that site. Will look at it after work.

quasarr
08-29-2013, 14:48
If you or the wife are up for it, you can sew your own 2-person quilt. Me and my boyfriend used a RayWay 2man that cost $100 for the kit. The kit comes with everything you need, and instructions. I have never sewed anything before and I thought it was not too difficult. Also the quilt can be made with a zip, so it zips into 2 pieces and your wife can carry the smaller piece. Here's the link if you are interested

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/OrderForm.php

dmax
08-29-2013, 21:48
[QUOTE=BirdBrain;1521623]I mainly hike by myself, but my wife is expressing an interest in doing a couple over-night hikes with me. If she was going to do this on a regular basis I would invest a bit of money and get something nice. However, I am not sure it will be more than 1 or 2 times. QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. One trip planned for next week and I still don't have her a sleeping bag. I like the quilt idea. Don't have time to sew it though.

LIhikers
08-29-2013, 22:10
Unzip your sleeping bag and use it over the two of you.

dmax
08-29-2013, 22:15
My bag won't unzip that far. It has a 3/4 zipper. We tried once while car camping, didn't work out too well for us.

quasarr
08-30-2013, 00:04
Actually, if any of you are interested I am willing to sell my 2-person quilt. I have my own down sleeping bag now and I don't foresee needing a double quilt any time soon. It is the RayWay synthetic insulation quilt with draft guard and Alpine upgrade, aka thicker insulation, home made by me. $90 shipped. Zips into 2 pieces so you can share the load if you want. I have used this quilt in below freezing temps and felt toasty (with a partner, which is warmer than alone), and I tend to sleep cold. Let me know if you are interested and I will post pics and weights. (Haven't weighed it yet so I'll have to go by the PO!)