PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a dog to enjoy hiking

Sunshine82
08-27-2013, 12:17
We have a new German Shepard /Heeler mix about a year old and want him to backpack with us.any advice on how to start him out so he will actually enjoy it.hes a bit lazy right now

flemdawg1
08-27-2013, 12:23
Train him to come when called EVERYTIME. I don't know your mutt, and don't want him running up to me in the woods, even for a sniff or lick. Otherwise leave it at home.

Mr. Bumpy
08-27-2013, 12:24
I can't take my dog because the second he gets the chance he digs up buried human waste. And I also have a funny story.

A friend took his dog on a multi week section hike. The dog was very energetic and loved day hikes, however on this trip he had the dog carry a pack. After about the first week whenever Mike started to get ready to hike the dog went under the shelter or hid in the bush. Even over a year later whenever the otherwise very energetic dog sees the dog backpack he slinks away.

Point is, I'd doubt you can train a dog to "like" hiking.

kayak karl
08-27-2013, 12:58
start taking long walks with your dog, train the dog and talk to vet about pack. shepards are pron to hip dysplasia and labs also. Kaia, my lab, is showing signs already at 3 yrs. she just wears her orange coat now. i carry her gear and food. i think all dogs like to walk, it's just how far.

Studlintsean
08-27-2013, 13:25
I can't take my dog because the second he gets the chance he digs up buried human waste. And I also have a funny story.

A friend took his dog on a multi week section hike. The dog was very energetic and loved day hikes, however on this trip he had the dog carry a pack. After about the first week whenever Mike started to get ready to hike the dog went under the shelter or hid in the bush. Even over a year later whenever the otherwise very energetic dog sees the dog backpack he slinks away.

Point is, I'd doubt you can train a dog to "like" hiking.

Similar to what trainers do when introducing a dog to weight pull, you want your dog to associate his pack (if he wears one) with something he enjoys (playing fetch, walks in the neighborhood, eating, etc.). I would start with the pack on during "play" time with no weight in it and gradually increase the weight by a small amount and also gradually start doing short hikes while the pack is on (empty at first).

FarmerChef
08-27-2013, 13:49
Similar to what trainers do when introducing a dog to weight pull, you want your dog to associate his pack (if he wears one) with something he enjoys (playing fetch, walks in the neighborhood, eating, etc.). I would start with the pack on during "play" time with no weight in it and gradually increase the weight by a small amount and also gradually start doing short hikes while the pack is on (empty at first).

This.

Our Husky got a negative association with her pack at one point and we had to retrain her to wear it again. The weight was not an issue but the sight of the pack made her nervous. She will walk and run for hours if she's allowed to and she loves hiking with us. But not all dogs do. Take your dog for walks and then walk in the woods. I recommend a leash - it solves a myriad of challenges but you'll get adamant leash and non-leash folks here on WB and elsewhere. Like flemdawg I too don't like an unleashed dog running up to me and my on leash dog. We've had problems with this in the past and we've worked hard to train our dog to respond appropriately. It helps that she's over 50 pounds ;)

One small recommendation - you posted this in the general forum which means you're going to get a lot of "dogs-shouldn't-be-on-the-trail-period" folks. You might want to move this thread to the dogs forum for more constructive replies (the ones you've gotten so far are good...so far)...

JustaTouron
08-27-2013, 14:01
a new German Shepard /Heeler

That is your problem. Little known corollary to the rule, "you can't teach an old dog a new trick" is "you can't teach a new dog an old trick" and hiking is really old trick. :)

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 14:01
I'm direct which comes off harsh but sometimes it needs to be said so here goes. First, consider loosening that grasp it seems you have on manipulating the world around you for your own benefit. Bringing domesticated pets onto hikes requires greater responsibility, consideration, and wisdom upon your part. You need to understand how bringing a dog on a hike can impact you and others. Consider, that like people, dogs each have different personalities, traits, things that they like to do based on breeding, home habits, etc. Would you always try to manipulate people to do the things you think they should be doing?..........Think about that. Wait. Think about that! ..........Many dog owners don't hence posts like Flemdawgs' and mine.

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 14:03
My post was not an anti-dog rant. it was an anti inconsiderate ignorant human with a dog based post.

FarmerChef
08-27-2013, 14:04
Understood. Well put. And Much appreciated!

fizz3499
08-27-2013, 14:51
Start slow take him for short walks out on a trail some where. Keep him on a leash until you can trust he will listen to your commands even when he is tempted to do otherwise. Make it fun take a toy or some food rewards and if you run into other hikers let them pet him if they want to and he is ok with other people petting him. Socializing him to other hikers is a big part of helping him be successful on the trails. If he is going to carry a pack start him with it empty and for short periods of times. Gradually increase both the weight of the pack and the time he carries it. Always try to make your hikes with him fun and stop before he gets to tired.

Sunshine82
08-27-2013, 16:17
For all those who left helpful information thank you!the rest will be ignored

Spirit Walker
08-27-2013, 17:34
Our dog loves to go any place with water. He likes streams and lakes so he can get cool and drink up. (We keep him out of springs.) In the summer, he gets overheated easily, so we either keep the hike short or make sure that there is water along the trail. In the winter he likes to break ice underfoot. We use a long leash when we're on trails so he can stop and sniff as desired, while we keep walking, and then he runs to catch up to us. Both the dog and his people enjoy hiking a lot more that way. Off leash would be better still, but I can't trust him to come back if he sees a deer or rabbit. It didn't take him long to learn how to come back to the trail the same way he went off trail. Ben also likes to go where there have been a lot of other dogs so he can stop to sniff and mark frequently. You might also try some easy running with your dog. I think one problem dogs sometimes have is they can move so much faster than most people, they get bored/frustrated going at a slower pace.

Water Rat
08-27-2013, 20:37
There is a lot of good advice already posted, but I will still include my two cents... :)

I have started all my dogs (throughout my life) with shorter trail hikes, and increase as they get used to the trail...and (hopefully!) come to love it as much as you do. Make the trips fun and include time for play and treats and socializing. Another idea is this: Does your pooch have a dog friend who likes hiking? If so, bring that dog hiking and maybe your dog will see how much fun it can be.

If none of this works, it is possible your dog just is not into hiking. Like people, dogs do have things they like and things they are not that fond of. At that point, maybe there is some other hobby/sport you can share with your pooch.

By the way - Congratulations on the new four-legged companion! :D

Drybones
08-27-2013, 20:41
Getting your dog to do something is one thing, having him enjoy it is another. You can train them to do something but the enjoying part is up to them. If your dog enjoys your company, he'll enjoy whatever you do together. My wife has given me orders to never let my dog see me with a pack if I'm not taking him, he crys and whines all day in a pitiful way. When he sees me with a pack he stays stuck to my side until we leave...obviously he loves the trail.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2013, 20:44
We have a new German Shepard /Heeler mix about a year old and want him to backpack with us.any advice on how to start him out so he will actually enjoy it.hes a bit lazy right now

never make him wear a pack and don't hike big miles. and never leave him on a hot side walk while you're in a bar/restaurant eating

Water Rat
08-27-2013, 20:52
Getting your dog to do something is one thing, having him enjoy it is another. You can train them to do something but the enjoying part is up to them. If your dog enjoys your company, he'll enjoy whatever you do together. My wife has given me orders to never let my dog see me with a pack if I'm not taking him, he crys and whines all day in a pitiful way. When he sees me with a pack he stays stuck to my side until we leave...obviously he loves the trail.

I have two dogs that will literally sleep on my pack if they see it come out. I am not allowed out without pooch supervision! ;) They love the trail - Their tails wag a little harder and their puppy grins just get bigger. It's awesome to have hiking buds that love being out there as much as I do.

Drybones
08-27-2013, 21:00
never make him wear a pack and don't hike big miles. and never leave him on a hot side walk while you're in a bar/restaurant eating

+1...Good advice... the dog should determine the miles. Dogs like ridgebacks and other hound and hunting breeds could out hike you but others might wear down quickly. If you're getting a dog as a hiking partner get one that has stamina.

Sunshine82
08-27-2013, 22:02
Thanks to all the doggie lovers out there.i don't agree with people letting their dogs bother others but all of the dog people duos ive met have been very respectful and I won't take him until he's ready

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 22:16
First, let's look at the breeds you have. Do you know what characterizes each? Look it up. That should tell you a lot about the mix you have and what to be aware of both in terms of positive and potentially negative traits. Remember what I said; dogs have different personalites dependent on breeding, training, etc. You have a mix that tends to be used for herding, protection, watchdogs, etc. These are intelligent, self confident, breeds that stand their ground and may chase things. Both breeds, and the mix you have, should be trained, preferably starting at a young age, like as puppy, to be sociable and more accepting of both other people as well as other dogs especially if you're taking them out on trails that are well used or at times of the yr where you may run into many people. Here's what I would be doing with that mix of breeds. Start out on a leash. You MAY always have to have your mix on a leash(the Heeler lineage may not take easily to that situation) if they can't be trained to not run off or chase things or to be so confrontational. Go for walks like that in local parks, in rural neighborhoods, etc. Anywhere you can observe your dog's behavior in social settings with other dogs and people. Learn how your behavior affects the dog's behavior! IMHO, some dogs aren't appropriate for all hikes. Or, perhaps, we can reword that to say not all dog owners should have their dogs on all trails because of the owner's inaptitude or unwillingness to train the dog to a sufficient degree. It's up to you as the owner to understand that IF that turns out to be the situation. At this stage I would be getting in over my head if the dog didn't obey and I was having issues with the training so would consider learning more myself on what better to do, possibly even putting the dog through obediance school(and ME!) with the intention that you'd want to hike with the dog.

shelterbuilder
08-27-2013, 22:30
I'll vote for using a leash 100% of the time - a 6' lead is a good choice - use a shorter one and you may find yourself being pulled up the trail! A leashed dog can't get into snakes, skunks, porkies, or poop, and will not be a nuisance on the trail. Since my dogs have all been sled dogs, they were trained to mushing commands ("hike", "whoa", "gee", and "ha" for "go", "stop", "right" and "left"), but "NO' and "come back" are also useful. If using a pack, start with an empty one, and put it on the dog for short intervals (with rewards) and when doing "fun things". Don't push for too much distance yet - your dog is still NOT fully grown until about 18 months. If the dog is sore afterwards, aspirin is an acceptable pain killer - about 5 mg/lb. of body weight (NEVER Tylenol or ibuprofen - these quickly build to toxic levels because the dog's kidneys can't remove them). A single dose in the evening is usually enough, but remember that pain killers don't treat the underlying source of the pain; they only treat the pain itself. And if you see the dog favoring a foot or a leg, have your vet check it out as soon as you can. One final thought: if the dog doesn't like hiking, you will see it in his actions (just like you'll see it if he DOES like hiking). If he doesn't like it, consider leaving him at home.

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 22:53
Thru-hiking with a dog has even greater implications for both the dog and the owner.

dmath010
08-27-2013, 23:16
Positive association. Use tons of praise and treats before, during, and after the hike. My dog jumps for joy at the sight of his pack now.

Dogwood
08-28-2013, 00:27
When my sisters are away I watch their dogs, one a 100% chocolate lab female and the other a younger female 100% Weimaraner. They LOVE going for hikes, are great around people, and respond to my commands so well I can let them off leash. Even with their instincts I can get them to not wander off and chase wild animals. They are great around other dogs too. They stop at roads too when I tell them so. I've taken them on day hikes. They LOVE me for doing this for them/with them/for working with them and respond with obediance and affection. They know I love them and are willing to let them to do what they were meant to do by not always being so controlling. This can be a fine line to find with certain breeds and under certain conditions. They will stay on trail when I ask for it which is amazing considering they are hunting and field breeds. I occasionally let them set the hiking pace(I have to hike really fast when we do this!, they give me the workouts I crave, I think they might know this!) and they respond to my pace when I desire that. They see me when I visit my sister's homes and can tell they know a friend has arrived! AND, THE HIKING HAS BEGUN! Great to hike with dogs like that.

That thread Sailing Faith shared about losing his friend(dog) was so moving. I knew where he was coming from. I've lost a couple of dog companions. He brought back so much I felt too when that had happened to me and my dog pals. Those dogs knew me well and I can say the same about them.

Hot Flash
08-28-2013, 16:49
Just because you can let your dog off the leash on the trail doesn't mean you should. Nobody has ever said "It's a shame that guy was responsibly keeping his dog safe and under control with a leash." However, it's very common to hear people complain about dogs OFF the leash.

Drybones
08-28-2013, 17:21
If I was a dog (know I'm setting myself up), I'd rather stay home in the back yard than be on a leash in the woods...just not natural.

Drybones
08-28-2013, 17:32
possibly even putting the dog through obediance school(and ME!) with the intention that you'd want to hike with the dog.

Obedience schools dont train the dog, they train the owner. My wife and doberman went to school, the teacher had my wife literally in tears at times but it was amazing what they accomplished. The trainers questioned if the dog would work out for her because of his dominant tendencies and her lack of strong control. When they were done the dog could be at full run and if she said down it hit the ground immediately. If she put a piece of meat on his nose and told him to stay he didn't move until she said OK, when food is put in thier bowls they just stand there looking at it until they get the OK release.

turtle fast
08-29-2013, 09:55
A lot here depends on the the type of dog as some were not predisposed for long distance hiking. An obvious one would be a Daschound or a ****zu (*Laughs*) but some longer legged canines just like humans do not have the desire to go on long jaunts. You got to remember some of these guys are breed so far away and mixed from working/outdoor breeds that they are truly house dogs. You got to think about things from the animals perspective....they have more sensative pads since they generally have been brought indoors into our homes, they tend to be tick magnets, and need water just as much as we do.

Candy Korn
08-29-2013, 14:01
I bet your dog is adorable :) Ok here it goes: I am a new hiker and have been training my pit/boxer mix to hike for the past 2 yearsish. We started on just day hikes with no pack, I carried everything. When I decided I wanted to go on a longer AT hike, we both had a lot to learn. A book that really helped me was, Hiking With Your Dog-Happy Trails- By: Gary Hoffman. It is a really good "how to" book that's goes through all the steps to get your dog ready to carry a pack and go for multiple days. I am more than happy to share all the wisdom learned from that book in a message if you choose, but it is a lot so I won't do it here :) Start off with short hikes and build up. Be vigilant in checking your dog to ensure they are not overheating and have plenty of water. I recommend a leash and harness at all times, but that's just me! A courteous hiker with a dog usually is a well liked hiker and dog, and be sure to let people you pass on the trail while training know that you are training, they may have a bit more patience with you and your furry friend!