PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a watch when hiking?

susiecruise
08-27-2013, 14:05
I never used to use a watch while on the trail because I saw it as my opportunity to get away from structured time. But, one time I was dropped off a river trip to hike out of the canyon during what we thought was mid-morning on a grey March day. It turned out to be 3:00 and I didn't quite make it out of the canyon as planned. Wish I had a watch then but still think I would leave it behind and try to keep better track of time. How do you keep track of time on the trail?

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 14:11
I never used to use a watch while on the trail because I saw it as my opportunity to get away from structured time. But, one time I was dropped off a river trip to hike out of the canyon during what we thought was mid-morning on a grey March day. It turned out to be 3:00 and I didn't quite make it out of the canyon as planned. Wish I had a watch then but still think I would leave it behind and try to keep better track of time. How do you keep track of time on the trail?

I use a watch to time my alcohol stove, to see if it is time for supper, and to see if I am getting up too late. Other than that it has no use for me. I get up early, set reasonable distance goals, and always finish hiking in the early afternoon. I take my time, do Blue Blazes to vistas, and relax. Having a relaxed and reasonable distance builds buffers into the schedule in case of bad estimates. Hiking by a timer would drive me foolisher.

HooKooDooKu
08-27-2013, 14:12
I like to take along a GPS on my hikes. If I NEED to know the time, one of the GPS screens can show it to me.

A.T.Lt
08-27-2013, 14:14
If I didnt have a watch Id sleep til noon and never get anywhere...Its my kick in the butt to move faster, or know I can take my time :)

vamelungeon
08-27-2013, 14:16
I wear one all the time, hiking or not.

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 14:20
Do you use a watch when hiking?Absolutely! A watch, compass, altimeter, temp, barometer, date, etc watch! The uses and functions are extremely useful. I use all these functions regularly.

Knowing your pace, where you are, where you want to be, weather, etc can be extremely helpful(and necessary) in long distance backpacking.

JustaTouron
08-27-2013, 14:23
I wear one.

You can always tell which hikers are out in the woods, as "an opportunity to get away from structured time" by not wearing a watch. The first thing they ask you when they see you are are wearing one is "do you know what time it is?" :)

I wear a watch so I don't have to think about what time it might be, by sun location etc. But I don't stress over the time UNLESS we are behind schedule to get to somewhere before dark. If we get to a place with a nice view at 11 and the kids want to stop for lunch, we stop for lunch. I don't say, "it is only 11 we need to wait 'til noon" or any nonsense like that. But I typically want to make sure we make camp or get back to the car by dark and a watch helps with that.

RED-DOG
08-27-2013, 14:26
No I don't bother with a watch, i get up when it's daylight and go to bed when it gets dark, I eat when i am hungry, and it doesn't matter what time it is in between.

QHShowoman
08-27-2013, 14:27
I always wear a watch and almost always wear my Fitbit, which tracks mileage. I use both sometimes on unfamiliar trails to gauge where I am on a map and how far I can go before sunset. If I am using a good topo map, the mileage becomes less important, but on more basic maps, it's been very helpful.

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 14:29
I suspect this is going to be another one of those threads with opinions all over the place. The biggest lesson I learned about hiking the "right way" is that the "right way" is the way that works for you. There are very few methods that work well for everyone. I think a watch ruins the experience. Another will think it is a vital piece of safety equipment. Who is right? With proper planning, they both are. However, neither would be right for the other guy. If you need a watch to keep you from hiking in the dark, you better take one. I am up at 5, on the trail by 6:30, and in to camp at an average of 3. No watch needed for me. If you can't get on the trail before noon and have to worry about getting to camp before dark, you better have a watch. Decide what is best for you and ignore the noise.

max patch
08-27-2013, 14:31
Absolutely!

On day hikes in the winter when it gets dark at 6:00 and I start at 12:00 - I know I need to turn around about 3:00.

On long distance hikes you're at a shelter late afternoon/early evening. You check your Guidebook and see that there is a great camping spot on a creek 8 miles away. Can you get there before dark? If you have a watch you'll know the answer.

max patch
08-27-2013, 14:32
I suspect this is going to be another one of those threads with opinions all over the place.

Or in other words, a typical thread. :)

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 14:34
Absolutely!

On day hikes in the winter when it gets dark at 6:00 and I start at 12:00 - I know I need to turn around about 3:00.

On long distance hikes you're at a shelter late afternoon/early evening. You check your Guidebook and see that there is a great camping spot on a creek 8 miles away. Can you get there before dark? If you have a watch you'll know the answer.

MP makes a great point. I should clarify my watch usage. I do not use one while hiking. I do have a watch with me in my pocket and I listed 3 times I use a one. MP just reminded me of a 4th time I use a watch: Assessing if I want to travel further when I am to my destination very early.

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 14:36

You got it. It is good therapy for me. I have OCD. I am always looking for the best or right way to do things. Hiking is not that way. HYOH is not just a cliché.

FarmerChef
08-27-2013, 14:37

Yes ;)

I wear a Suunto Core with the altimeter, barometer, temp, compass, etc. Most of the time, I tell time by the position of the sun in the sky or time snacks/lunch to occur at certain waypoints in the day. But since I'm always hiking with a group and our tummies don't all work on the same schedule, I'll sometimes check it to guestimate pace and try to take a swag at a nice place to stop. It's also my wake up call in the morning on big days when we need to get out earlier than our bodies would like to in order to make it to our destination, especially when that destination has a mail drop and or adult beverages, pizza and a mattress! :D

Ktaadn
08-27-2013, 14:37
I am up at 5, on the trail by 6:30, and in to camp at an average of 3. No watch needed for me.

How do you know this if you don't have a watch?

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 14:41

Read all the posts. I do not use one while hiking. I use one when I am not hiking (timing alcohol stove, seeing if I am up too late, and seeing if it is supper time). I carry one, but do not use it while hiking. That was the text of the OP question. Do you use a watch while hiking? No, I do not. I come into camp, sit down, and at some point check the time to see when supper should be started. MP reminded me a 4th usage. If it is only 1, I might press on.

hikerboy57
08-27-2013, 14:49
ive always worn a watch.

BirdBrain
08-27-2013, 14:51
ive always worn a watch.

Okay, but do you use it? :)

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 14:53
My altimeter, compass, barometer, etc watch is obviously not just about telling time. AND, most importantly does not determne my hikimg experience or the structuring of my hike - I do! It's just a tool. You don't have to be beholdened or addicted to the tool!

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 14:55
A watch by itself can also be a compass used to gain a general idea of direction.

FarmerChef
08-27-2013, 14:58
A watch by itself can also be a compass used to gain a general idea of direction.

Oooh. Summoning the Dual Survivor in all of us. I love the watch-as-compass trick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwIC2fqgYU

The Greenman
08-27-2013, 15:01
I probably use the compass as a compass "trick" the most!

DandT40
08-27-2013, 15:11
I wear a watch for a few occasions. First off I sleep like crap so I usually check the watch about 30 times a night in hopes the sun will be up soon and I can get up without driving everyone else nuts. I'll check it rarely during the day if I feel we are dragging behind and have a long distance to go to get to a specific shelter/camp if we have reservations. If we don't have any place that we have to be I tend to never look at it during the day.

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 15:11
I probably use the compass as a compass "trick" the most!

LOL.. The watch as a compass "trick" can be useful if you don't have a compass.

boulder06
08-27-2013, 15:21
Watch is the only electronic I take. No phone, ipod, gps, George Foreman Grill, etc.

hikerboy57
08-27-2013, 15:28
ive always worn a watch.

Okay, but do you use it? :) only when I need to tell what time it is or what direction I'm traveling or how fast I'm going or meet up with somebody a road crossing or for cooking figure out how many hours of daylight I have left on cloudy days

Tuckahoe
08-27-2013, 15:54
I do not typically wear a watch, though on my bike the odometer has a clock as does the cell phone. At work I have no time piece on me.

When Im hiking I need to keep to certain schedules, and its easy to lose track of time so I do wear a warch then.

Our natural enviroment all around us indeed does run on a schedule and if one stops and pays attention we will know what time it is.

Plodderman
08-27-2013, 16:19
I take my watch as it helps me gauge the miles. Besides i need it as I get up about five times a night on the trail trying to make it to 6:00 AM.

Drybones
08-27-2013, 16:40
I wear a watch to help discipline me to stop for breaks and eat and to determine whether or not to try hiking to the next suitable camp site late in the day.

BobTheBuilder
08-27-2013, 16:48
Interesting answers. I only wear a watch when I am flying (can't use cell phone) and when I am hiking. My pace is pretty steady and I can use my watch to tell how far I have gone, how many miles to the next shelter or vista, how much further to the top of the @#$%^ climb, etc. Also useful in quickly deciding if it is 5:30 a.m and I can hold it, or if it is 3:30 a.m. and I better get out of the hammock.

FarmerChef
08-27-2013, 17:10
Also useful in quickly deciding if it is 5:30 a.m and I can hold it, or if it is 3:30 a.m. and I better get out of the hammock.

Yes and Yes. Can't say how many times I've been there...:datz

icdaywee
08-27-2013, 17:25
^^^ hated this when I first started camping with friends and always tried to be a nice guy by not getting out of the tent too much throughout the night. Then I would wake up and look at my watch and realize it's only 3am. I can hold it in I can hold it in. Slowly and painfully fall back asleep again. Wake up having to go even more. It is now 3:45am. **** I think I can hold it in. Repeat and rinse until I finally decide that pissing myself would be a worse alternative than waking up my tent companions.

Nowadays I just go when I have to... No more mister nice guy :)

Spirit Walker
08-27-2013, 17:40
I use a watch to gauge distance. I know my pace, depending on terrain and gear. So the watch tells me how far I've walked, so I know how soon to look for trail junctions. I don't use a gps, and on some trails we've hiked, the junctions aren't all that obvious. I also like to set up camp about an hour before dark, if possible. That gives me time to get water, get cleaned up, set up camp and cook before nightfall. The watch lets me know when it's time to start looking for a place to camp.

Sarcasm the elf
08-27-2013, 18:41
Do you use a watch when hiking?

Absolutely! A watch, compass, altimeter, temp, barometer, date, etc watch! The uses and functions are extremely useful. I use all these functions regularly.

Knowing your pace, where you are, where you want to be, weather, etc can be extremely helpful(and necessary) in long distance backpacking.

Dogwood, any suggestions on a watch that has all those features? Hopefully one that is on the cheaper side of the good ones?

Another Kevin
08-27-2013, 18:50
I use a watch to gauge distance. I know my pace, depending on terrain and gear. So the watch tells me how far I've walked, so I know how soon to look for trail junctions. I don't use a gps, and on some trails we've hiked, the junctions aren't all that obvious

This.

Also, when any part of my hike may involve a bushwhack, I note the time - as in write it down, either directly on my map or in my notebook - whenever I get to a recognizable landmark or cross a handrail. If I need to backtrack for any reason, I know how long to expect the backtrack to take before I'm back at the mark. If you're bushwhacking, the watch (or some other means of telling time) is one of your primary instruments for navigation.

The next time my wristwatch dies (I tend to buy cheap ones, they last a few years), I may decide to spring for one with an altimeter. Properly used, an altimeter makes any contour line into a handrail.

Another Kevin
08-27-2013, 18:57
Dogwood, any suggestions on a watch that has all those features? Hopefully one that is on the cheaper side of the good ones?

One of my buds says decent things about the cheap Casio altimeters. They run about $60-$70 at Target, at least on line (sometimes the bricks-and-mortar stores don't have them). This one (http://www.target.com/p/casio-men-s-twin-sensor-combo-watch-black/-/A-13549490?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C13549490&CPNG=Jewelry&kpid=13549490&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13549490&gclid=CKTrzdLcnrkCFU6Z4AodCGUACA) is pretty typical.

canoe
08-27-2013, 18:58
I never wear a watch but I do bring a smart phone that has apps for GPS trail maps weather maps, satelite and forcasts, places to eat when in town and exact location on the trail as well as the other stuff you guys have mentioned in previous posts. Most everyone these days carries a camera. cameras on smart phones today are really good. so really there is no extra weight. possibly even lighter than most cameras. Drawback... must find a place to chrage every few days and/or bring an extra battery

canoe
08-27-2013, 19:00
I have been told that there are barometer and altimeter apps for smart phones as well, but I have not downloaded any because I dont use either.

johnnybgood
08-27-2013, 19:21
I have a sports waterproof watch with Velcro straps that I attach to my pack for easy access while hiking. It also has the illuminated light function (if you find the darn thing in the middle of the night) when aroused by loud snoring from a hiking partner in a nearby hammock who claims he doesn't snore. Using it's light to then locate my ear plugs also makes it pretty handy.:)

twilight
08-27-2013, 21:59
Yes, I where a watch. When I first started hiking the Timex Expedition w/Indiglo light was just coming on the market and that was my watch. Then I decided to get fancy and get one of them watches with all the bells and whistles on it, altimeter, compass, etc. It died, Timex warrenty replaced it. It died eventually, too. I bought another similar one. It didn't seal correctly after a battery change and got soaked at the pool one day and it died, too. So, I'm back to my original Timex Expedition from almost 20 years ago. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Twilight

scooterdogma
08-28-2013, 06:09
I'm retired and swore I would never wear a watch again. Started doing long section hikes and guess what ... I bought a watch, lol. I use it as an alarm on big mileage days, time my food, answer the question, " what time is it when I crawl out of the hammock to answer the call of nature" and help determine what time the shuttle is going to pick me up at a gap. Crazy, bought a watch to go out in the woods! Never say never ....

daddytwosticks
08-28-2013, 07:14
I don't "wear" a watch when I hike. However, I do have an old Timex Expidition watch (sans straps) carabeenered to the strap of my pack. Very useful item. :)

Sunshine82
08-28-2013, 07:43
No way I go to bed at dark and get up at daylight the rest doesn't matter.

BirdBrain
08-28-2013, 07:45
I see this thread is still going, so I will add a couple more thoughts. I never wear a watch anywhere. I have not worn a watch since I was about 18. I never liked the feel of them on my wrist. I carried a pocket watch for a while, but soon realized there is little need for that. Clocks are everywhere. Being in the woods for weeks or months is a different matter. So I bought a $10 Wal*Mart Casio, cut the straps off and glued it to my gorp container cover. I soon realized that I never looked at it except when getting up, cooking food, and getting to camp. When I ditched the gorp container because of weight, I put the watch in my shorts in the tiny zipper pocket. For me, it isn't a "I'm not gonna' be tied to technology while hiking" thing. I just don't use them in the "real" world, but have found a couple of needs for them out there. Timed hiking is not one of them.

Seatbelt
08-28-2013, 08:00

Not Dogwood here but I use this watch--and I love it. It has all the features mentioned along with a stopwatch timer and night illumination feature.
http://www.rei.com/product/823521/suunto-core-multifunction-watch-glacier-gray

BirdBrain
08-28-2013, 08:05
In the interest of full disclosure, I often hike with my brother-in-law. He wears a watch and sometimes reports on progress like telling me how long it took to go through Mahoosuc Notch. I also carry a cellphone. When I turn it on to send a "I'm here and okay" message, it shows the time on start up. Okay, I beat this one to death. My advice: Get up early, set reasonable goals, don't be in a hurry, take in Blue Blazes to vistas, and don't be chained to a schedule. I'm out.

moytoy
08-28-2013, 09:08
The only time I wear a watch is when I'm hiking. Actually I attach it to my shoulder strap. But it's GPS, altimeter etc etc that's the only reason I take a watch. In the interest of full disclosure I have my map and compass in my pocket. :)

FarmerChef
08-28-2013, 09:59
I don't often wear a watch...

but when I do...I choose...the Suunto Core

Stay thirsty, my friends.

evan_rolltide
08-28-2013, 11:10
THink about this... When police ask you what time you saw that missing hiker and where, you could save a life by giving a detailed time and place.

BirdBrain
08-28-2013, 12:57
THink about this... When police ask you what time you saw that missing hiker and where, you could save a life by giving a detailed time and place.

Have you ever looked at your watch to see what time it was when you meet a stranger on the trail? Would you remember that information if you did? I can recall several people I met on the trail, where I met them, and if it was morning, afternoon, etc. However, there is not a snowballs chance in hell that a watch would have provided me with a better accounting and retention of details of these meetings. Maybe other people are different. Maybe it is just because I don't look at a watch every 5 minutes. I doubt it though.

JustaTouron
08-28-2013, 19:40
Get up early, set reasonable goals, don't be in a hurry, take in Blue Blazes to vistas, and don't be chained to a schedule. I'm out.

Agreed. Wearing a watch doesn't prevent any of the above.

Madthrush
08-28-2013, 22:07
No. But maybe I should. Once while hiking the AT in Maine I woke and broke camp and after a few hours stopped for lunch. After hiking what felt like several more hours I stopped for the night. I set up my tent and made dinner. Just then a couple came along and asked if I had seen any good spots nearby for them to take a lunch break..... Well, in my defense it was a very dark and dreary day.

Wise Old Owl
08-28-2013, 22:08
no............................................http ://images.wikia.com/fairytail/images/4/4a/Hahaha_No_Owl.jpg

MuddyWaters
08-28-2013, 22:58
of course. It tells me where i am, and when I will get to someplace, and how many hrs of daylight hiking are left.

Well, that and a trail guide or map.

My compass is also on the watchband.

rocketsocks
08-28-2013, 23:01
I do use a watch when hiking! but if it's hot and schticky, it rides in my pocket.

BirdBrain
08-29-2013, 00:21
Agreed. Wearing a watch doesn't prevent any of the above.

Agreed. My not wearing one is not a critisizism of those that do. I just don't wear one. I never wear one. I never use one off the trail... ever. I use one on the trail for a few things that don't involve hiking. It amazes me how differing views are taken on this site. Let me go back and highlight something I said earlier on the subject.

I suspect this is going to be another one of those threads with opinions all over the place. The biggest lesson I learned about hiking the "right way" is that the "right way" is the way that works for you. There are very few methods that work well for everyone. I think a watch ruins the experience. Another will think it is a vital piece of safety equipment. Who is right? With proper planning, they both are. However, neither would be right for the other guy. If you need a watch to keep you from hiking in the dark, you better take one. I am up at 5, on the trail by 6:30, and in to camp at an average of 3. No watch needed for me. If you can't get on the trail before noon and have to worry about getting to camp before dark, you better have a watch. Decide what is best for you and ignore the noise.

I would never suggest that someone who wears a watch while hiking is wrong. My most common hiking partner wears one most all the time (including swimming half the time). The funny thing is neither one of us has tried to correct the other person. It isn't an issue. It is a choice.

Miner
08-29-2013, 00:36
When hiking, I have a carbiner watch that hangs on my pack. I use it to wake me up in the predawn morning as I prefer to hike in the cool of the morning as I get my best miles in; plus you see more wildlife. Its also useful if you are racing to town to make the Post Office or an AYCE resturant before it closes. Besides I need to be reminded what day of the week it is for planning my next town stop. You tend to forget that when hiking.

evan_rolltide
08-29-2013, 11:13
Have you ever looked at your watch to see what time it was when you meet a stranger on the trail? Would you remember that information if you did? I can recall several people I met on the trail, where I met them, and if it was morning, afternoon, etc. However, there is not a snowballs chance in hell that a watch would have provided me with a better accounting and retention of details of these meetings. Maybe other people are different. Maybe it is just because I don't look at a watch every 5 minutes. I doubt it though.
For me it would at least narrow the time down because I am not great at estimating time if the sun isn't super visible.I don't always wear one either but I do enjoy being able to estimate pace by a watch. I guess the answer to this thread is the same to every other one on this site.... Do whatever you want.... Hike your own hike....

RangerZ
08-29-2013, 18:12
Tell directions: Point the hour hand at the sun an south is halfway to 12 or is it point 12 at the sun and north is halfway to the hour hand? I always forget what hemisphere I'm in.

Or check the compass on the wrist band.

q-tip
08-30-2013, 08:04
I use a Suunto Watch-Heart Rate Monitor--I found the HR Monitor is essential for me walking up hills and eliminate the standing 8-counts I used to get by going up hills at an uneven pace----Also the best training tool for me since the stopwatch....

Nooga
08-30-2013, 09:30
Always carry a watch. I'm pretty good at gauging my pace and with the watch can determine my location fairly accurately.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-30-2013, 12:00
You got it. It is good therapy for me. I have OCD. I am always looking for the best or right way to do things. Hiking is not that way. HYOH is not just a cliché.

I share your pain, BB....but my peccadillo is CDO....which is OCD in alphabetical order....as it should be :)

BirdBrain
08-30-2013, 12:14
I share your pain, BB....but my peccadillo is CDO....which is OCD in alphabetical order....as it should be :)

The order does not bother me so much as the acronym itself. It should have 4 letters. Maybe add S for Syndrome to the end. That would work. OCDS

DLP
08-30-2013, 12:37
I wear a watch with a timer. Use the timer while mixing Aqua Mira. Also use timer while re-hydrating meals.

Also use a watch as I often take public transportation to and from the trail. Helps to have a watch when the last bus is at 4:45pm and I REALLY want to be on it.

JAK
08-30-2013, 13:01
I like to go primitive, but I value a watch more than a compass. You can use a watch as a compass, except at night or cloudy days, and vices, versus, but when I get lost or mixed up it is very useful and reassuring to start keeping accurate track of time, not just for dead reckoning and such but just for planning and keeping your head on straight. Without a watch, I guess I would keep track of time with the sun, or dead recogning in reverse I suppose. Not sure. Anyhow, I always carry watch and compass, and a map unless I know the place very well and it is well bounded. I like to go without electronics though, except cellphone for safety backup, and sometimes garmin / heart rate for performance monitoring and for fun post-hike mapping. :-)