PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the LT

Praha4
08-27-2013, 20:21
My shoulder osteoarthris had gotten so bad the last 2 months, on a training hike yesterday at Torreya State Park I was just about ready to call it quits on my planned LT hike next week. Depression was really weighing on me driving home last night from Torreya as I resigned myself to having shoulder replacement surgery this fall, and then 6 months of phys therapy and no hiking til maybe late 2014. My local ortho has been like a car salesman pushing me toward that. I wasn't ready, wanted to put it off as long as possible. Give me some more pills, more ice packs, more Icy Hot. Luckily, I had already made an appointment for today for a 2nd opinion at the Andrews Institute of Sportsmedicine and Orthopedics in Gulf Breeze, FL. My drive over to Gulf Breeze, FL this morning was 2 hours, with plenty of time to think and have some questions ready for the new doctor. Finally the moment arrived when he walking into the room after looking over my last xrays and MRI. I was ready for him to tell me its hopeless and he can put me under the knife soon. To my relief, no that's not what news I got. He said he does not feel surgery is needed now, keep the shoulder, do PT, stretching, take NSAIDs, use ice packs as needed. He actually was not doom and gloom like my original grim reaper ortho. This doctor was encouraging and I got another cortisone shot, and this one really helped, they hit the right spot for a change. So long story short, I'm good to go next week for the LT, bring it on, with all its hills, its rocks, its roots, its mud, the climbs, the falls, the hot n cold weather, and the beautiful Green Mountains. Life is definitely short, and we shouldn't waste any time. Maybe see some of yez on the LT! Ventilate Red Diver, ventilate ..... 3-2, 3-2!!

Slo-go'en
08-27-2013, 20:35
Yep, a lot of doctors are quick to suggest surgery. That's the quickest way to run up the bill. Hope doc #2 is right and doc #1 is wrong.

It's still a bit hot and muggy here, but should be better by next week with more fall like weather coming along.

Take it easy, be careful with your footing and enjoy!

Mountain Mike
08-28-2013, 19:39
Hope to see you out there. Planning Sobo hike in a few weeks.

Praha4
08-28-2013, 20:59
cool Mtn Mike, hope we bump into each other. I'm leaving Williamstown Sept 5th. Have a safe hike!