PDA

View Full Version : Tarp size to cover shelter doors???

msudodson07
08-27-2013, 23:30
I am planning two multi-day trips on the AT through the smokies during late December and early January. I am planning on staying at the shelters however the downside of the shelters in the area are almost all are at high elevation which means cold and wind. I have read about folks hanging a tarp across the open side to block out wind and get a possible 10 degree increase from outside temps. My question is what size tarp does this require? In one of the posts it said a 10x30 but the shelters i have stayed in i think a 10x20 would suffice. Thoughts or other ideas?

P.S. If anyone would like to join on these cold weather trips i would be glad to have some company. It's hard to find folks that wanna be cold haha. Just pm me if interested.

Thanks

TNhiker
08-27-2013, 23:54
You don't need to bring one.....

They all have tarps hung from the rafters at the entrance......

They get rolled up in the summer and depending upon weather, rolled down as needed...

Most also have rocks to provide anchor points to help close off the shelter...

msudodson07
08-28-2013, 00:07
Oh well that's simple enough haha.. I stayed at Mt. Collins shelter over the summer so i guess i just missed it. Thanks TNhiker

Grampie
08-28-2013, 08:35

They get rolled up in the summer and depending upon weather, rolled down as needed...

I don't know when or where you hiked on the AT. I have hiked on the AT for around 3,000 miles over the last 15 years and visited many shelters. I have never seen a tarp like you described.

canoe
08-28-2013, 09:02
I don't know when or where you hiked on the AT. I have hiked on the AT for around 3,000 miles over the last 15 years and visited many shelters. I have never seen a tarp like you described.
II have never seen any tarps hung either. hmm

Slo-go'en
08-28-2013, 10:15
Every AT shelter I've been to in the Smokies during the spring has had tarps across the front, with the exception of Davenport gap shelter, which doesn't need one. I've seen a few shelters here and there with tarps outside of the Smokies. Granted it's rare but does happen.

Ox97GaMe
08-28-2013, 10:21
Tarps are put up at all the AT Shelters in the Smokies and at the Mt LeConte shelter during the winter months. The tarps are put up in early-mid November and taken down by early May. Tarps are stored in the large metal tool boxes at each of the shelters over the summer and need replacing on a 2-3 year cycle, depending on the location and the severity of winds in the winter and spring.

TNhiker
08-28-2013, 10:33
with the exception of Davenport gap shelter, which doesn't need one

davenport had one last winter when i stayed there.....

I don't know when or where you hiked on the AT. I have hiked on the AT for around 3,000 miles over the last 15 years and visited many shelters

you musta missed the section of the AT that ran through the smokies......

see all the above posts, thank you very much....

daddytwosticks
08-28-2013, 16:17
I've seen tarps hung on the front of other shelters in Georgia and in NC. Sometimes they are folded up and stored under the shelter when not needed. I just assumed some section hiker hauled it in and left them there for use by others. :)

Another Kevin
08-28-2013, 22:05
In New York's state forests, almost all the lean-tos are 12 by 8 feet. Tarps are not provided, but in winter many hikers bring their own tarps to cover the front openings. It's lawful to tie tarps in place, but not to nail them. Obviously, the long dimension of the tarp needs to be at least the width of the opening.

shelterbuilder
08-28-2013, 22:32
In Pa., BMECC and some other maintaining clubs try to discourage this practice for one simple reason: squatters! The more comfortable a shelter is for "the unprepared", the more likely it is that the location will become a "squatter's haven". Over the years, in all seasons, we have had problems with tarps, carpeting, furniture, and equipment appearing at various shelters and being "abandoned" at the site - waiting for its "owner" to return to use it again and again during extended stays. We discourage leaving food for the same reason. (Just sayin'....)

goldbug
02-25-2015, 16:28

Woah, that would have been nice. Never seen that either. :/

HICKS
02-26-2015, 12:13
I was backpacking in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park Nov '14 and both the Spence Field and Russell Field shelters had tarps (pic below).

Frye
02-28-2015, 21:35
carpeting

carpeting?!?

bamboo bob
02-28-2015, 21:42
Actually I have come across the occasional tarp obviously left by weekenders or some such. Pretty rare though and not something to be counted on. Also a tarp large enough to enclose the opening of a typical shelter would be pretty big and heavy and quite a project to put up and take down. A four season tent would be lighter, more weatherproof and easier to deal with.

Sirsnappy09
02-28-2015, 23:14
Tarps are put every year In the smokies