PDA

View Full Version : south georga labor day weekend, first half of November

jskipper
08-28-2013, 11:48
I''m thinking about a last minute trip on Georgia AT this weekend, and I'm talking to friends about a trip the first half of November. Neels Gap-Amicalola, or vice-versa. I have a grand trunk hammock with built-in bug net, and a rain tarp. I have a 20 degree sleeping bag. I have a foam pad, no underquilt. I assume i'll be plenty warm this weekend. what about early november? i'm guessing that, with the pad and bag, no underquilt, i'll be ok down to around 40 degrees. am I wrong? is mid-November underquilt time on Georgia AT no matter what?

CB1821
08-28-2013, 13:04
This will give you the average high/low temperatures along with record highs/lows for Suches, GA (whixh is near where you want to go and is at 3,000 feet). http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/30572?climoMonth=11

Average temps come in at around 63/36 and record lows at as little as 8 degrees for Suches. Of course the trail in that section goes higher than 3,000 feet, so those sections would likely be colder. Thus in my opinion, you may want to reconsider only being ready for a low of 40.