PDA

View Full Version : Hammock vs Tent

Stormrider
08-28-2013, 13:43
Hi - This is Stormrider from Bavaria / Germany. I’min the phase of collecting information about the AT .
I’d like to ask some questions concerning theuse of the Hennessy Hammock.

For all I know, these hammocks are quite unknown here inGermany.
Maybe this is due to thefact that in Germany, the timberline / tree line is at about 1700m;
I think on highermountain peaks in Europe there won’t beany trees to hang the Hammock onto.

I was very surprised toread that in USA the tree line is much higher than in Europe;
but I think thatnevertheless a lot of day trips on the AT will surely lead throughnon-tree-areas;

So– if you’re hikingthrough non-tree-areas and just in case you can’t use your hammock there:
Is it always possible toreach some lean-to / shelter along the way?
Or do I have to look for“lower” “tree- regions” at the end of each day ?

I appreciate your ideasand suggestions.
Thanks a lot
Stormrider

:cool:

Grits
08-28-2013, 17:48
There are very few areas along the AT that you can not hammock. In the Smoky Mountains you have to sleep in shelters or near them if they are full so I would take a light weight foam pad or air mattress just in case. There are quite a few hammock campers in Europe check out https://www.hammockforums.net/ any questions you have someone will answer them there. There are many vendors that you can find at hammockfourms and the Cuben fiber tarps are the best but more money.
check out the http://www.hammockgear.com/tarp-cf3-winter-palace/
Many thru hikers hammock camp it is personal taste. Not any weight savings to speak of but the comfort level for most campers is the key.
Enjoy your hike.
being new to hammock camping you might want to watch these videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

T.S.Kobzol
08-28-2013, 18:41
Germany: Think about hiking in the Schwartzwald region on the border with southern Czech Republic. Very suitable for hammocking. Or think about going east from Dresden to the Czech border to a place called Little Switzerland - very suitable for hammocking. Not all of Germany is hoch Alpen. Even in Bavaria there are many trails that go through woods before they get above tree line. For example hut to hut trip in the BGL goes from Schoenau up to Jenner Mtn and then traverses the ridge through mixed environments, at least 4 times on the trail to Wasseralm you go through woods. Next day from Wasseralm to Funtensee is through forested environment suitable for hammocking. From funtensee down to St.Bartholomea would complete a circle of a nice weekend trip where you could hammock... just saying,,, it is not all gophers and Steinerne Meer ;-)

There are very few areas along the AT that you can not hammock. In the Smoky Mountains you have to sleep in shelters or near them if they are full so I would take a light weight foam pad or air mattress just in case. There are quite a few hammock campers in Europe check out https://www.hammockforums.net/ any questions you have someone will answer them there. There are many vendors that you can find at hammockfourms and the Cuben fiber tarps are the best but more money.
check out the http://www.hammockgear.com/tarp-cf3-winter-palace/
Many thru hikers hammock camp it is personal taste. Not any weight savings to speak of but the comfort level for most campers is the key.
Enjoy your hike.
being new to hammock camping you might want to watch these videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

bear bag hanger
08-28-2013, 18:52
Thru hiked the AT in 2004 and never had a problem finding a place to hang. If you do have to go to ground, it is fairly easy, if not as comfortable - but to me tents, no matter how good they are, are uncomfortable. All you have to do is use your hiking sticks (or something similar) on the two ends of your tarp and attach your hammock at the same spot. You can use your hammock as a tent, you can't use a tent as a hammock!

Dr. Professor
08-28-2013, 18:54
I love hammock camping, and strongly prefer it for the AT. I use the Warbonnet Blackbird and would recommend it, especially with some modifications from Dutch Gear.

Advantages:

- More comfortable (to me, personal preference).
- Much easier to find a potential campsite provided (1)below tree line, (2) tree trunks aren't absolutely massive, (3) sufficient number of trees (hammocks work great on the AT, but wouldn't be ideal in the desert, in Scotland, or above the tree line).
- Much easier to stay dry and to keep your gear dry.

Disadvantages:

- Frequently, hammock systems including underquilts are a litte heavier.
- Not optimal for all environments (see above).

On the AT, I use a hammock.

Franco
08-28-2013, 21:09
Post 3....
From the OP :
I’m in the phase of collecting information about the AT

Another Kevin
08-28-2013, 22:25
I was very surprised to read that in USA the tree line is much higher than in Europe;
but I think that nevertheless a lot of day trips on the AT will surely lead through non-tree-areas;

It's true in the West that the timber line is high. Timberline in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine is approximately 1300 metres. Mount Moosilauke (1470 metres) is the southernmost A-T peak that goes above it.

It isn't lawful to camp above timberline in New Hampshire, though, because of the risk of damaging an extremely fragile ecosystem. (Not only that, it's extremely unwise. White Mountains weather is extremely capricious - worse even than the high Alps.) So there is no above-treeline camping on the A-T.

Many hammockers bring some sort of lightweight underpad (often part of the insulation system for the hammock as well) and a couple of tent stakes so that they can "go to ground" if necessary by rigging their tarp over their trekking poles.

T.S.Kobzol
08-28-2013, 22:49
The point was that Germany as characterized by the OP is not really relevant. The OP just needs to expand their view of the conditions in Germany, realize the opportunities, evaluate whether hammock camping is something they find practical, practice on German trails and finally (whew) come to the USA to hike the AT when their schedule permits.

Post 3....
From the OP :
I’m in the phase of collecting information about the AT

Stormrider
09-02-2013, 16:42
Hi folks, thanks a lot for all the interesting answers -- coming up definitely with some new questions :)

Dogwood
09-02-2013, 17:06
Just as a small note - the treeline varies through much of the U.S. Sometimes it occurs as low as 5800 ft and in other places it doesn't begin until more than 10, 000 ft. There are few miles on the AT where you'll be above treeline.

The AT is an ideal trail to hammock. Shelters are spaced apart about every 7-8 miles. It's my guess, even if you are a VERY slow hiker you'll be below treeline or have the option of using a shelter every night. A little logistical planning goes a LONG way. Be mindful of the The White Mountains in New Hampshire and Great Smoky Mountains NP though.

Dogwood
09-02-2013, 17:14
Willkommen. The AT is an ideal trail to hammock. Shelters are spaced apart about every 7-8 miles. It's my guess, even if you are a VERY slow hiker you'll be below treeline or have the option of using a shelter every night. A little logistical planning goes a LONG way. Be mindful of the The White Mountains in New Hampshire and Great Smoky Mountains NP though.

Just as a small note - the treeline varies through much of the U.S. Sometimes it occurs as low as 5000 ft and in other places it doesn't begin until more than 10, 000 ft. There are very few miles on the AT where you'll be above treeline continually.