PDA

View Full Version : Architectural Thesis: Shelter Design

zcalla20
08-28-2013, 18:18
I am writing this thread to thank everyone who participated in my hiking shelter survey around a year ago. Your information was paramount in helping with the development of my thesis proposal.

Below is the abstract of my proposal as well as a link to the thesis book itself. It is a relatively large book and I invite you to look through all of it, but the following pages highlight the information I feel is the most important:

Chapter 3 - User Survey and Results - p 53
Chapter 7 - Developing the Matrix and Matrix Proposal - p126-139
Chapter 8 - Matrix Adaptation - 151-162
Chapter 9 - Final Defense - 165-254 (Mainly Images)

I want to stress before hand that the sites chosen were not because I felt it necessary for a shelter to be placed there, but instead were chosen to test the capabilities of the matrix system. McAfee Knob, for example, would be ruined if a shelter was placed in the location I suggested. However, this site offered a clear example of designing a shelter on an area with a rocky substrate, and it is for that reason I chose this particular site.

Thesis Book - http://issuu.com/zcallaway/docs/zachary_callaway_blazing_the_trail

Thesis App - http://www.zcallaway.com/thesis

Abstract:

Throughout our National Parks, acres of untouched land are slowly deteriorating to an irreversible status. Unfortunately, the
people who help cause the destruction are also the ones who value the land the most. Research indicates that traditional
“tent” camping causes harmful erosion and vegetation impaction that, if not addressed, could eventually lead to the
destruction of many natural parks.

This poses the question: can architecture provide the solution? Shelters offer hikers a designated area to camp, thus
decreasing the potential for illegal campsites. However, with the increase in shelters throughout the Appalachian trail, a
new issue occurs. Structure creep is the terminology used to describe the movement of once primitive structures to more
advanced shelter designs, changing the identity of the Appalachian Trail.

The purpose of this proposal is to explore a solution to combat the effects of structure creep. The result is a matrix of different
configurations that produces optimum shelter designs based on select parameters. The projects within this thesis embody this
methodology through five unique topographic conditions. Through the use of the matrix, along with detailed site analysis
and user studies, a series of fully nature integrated structures are created.

moldy
08-29-2013, 10:48
Good work. I’m happy to see that if the ATC or the trail clubs ever decide to look to the future of the Appalachian trail they will have some data points to look to. The trail of the future is something they don’t want to look at. It may require action other than putting their heads in the sand. Actual progress will take leadership. The ATC is seriously lacking in this department. The shelter of the future in the eyes of many of the people who post here won’t even exist. They would like them to all go away despite the damage it would cause. Many of the regulars on Whiteblaze are what I call trail clubbers. They offer a different perspective from hikers. We have shelters designed by trail clubs. Many trail club members won’t even sleep in them. If you let the hikers who use them have input in the design, location and frequency of shelters we would have a better trail.

Marmaduke
08-29-2013, 12:47
this blew my mind. thank you!

yellowsirocco
08-29-2013, 12:53
Well done.

couscous
08-29-2013, 12:55
If you let the hikers who use them have input in the design, location and frequency of shelters we would have a better trail.

When I see a shelter's open side is toward prevailing winds, I figure it was placed by club members rather than hikers. It may have three walls, but it would not meet the "fully enclosed" definition without stringing up tarps.

p.106 Spatial Categories - "Fully Enclosed: This category includes spaces that are enclosed by at least three walls and overhead protection, and will provide shelter from the wind, sun, rain, and snow."

Slo-go'en
08-29-2013, 15:32
When I see a shelter's open side is toward prevailing winds, I figure it was placed by club members rather than hikers. It may have three walls, but it would not meet the "fully enclosed" definition without stringing up tarps.

Well, you never know which way the wind will blow :) A lot of shelters are located on the west or facing west to get the most sunlight in evening during the spring and fall. Unfortunetly, that is also the direction a lot of storms blow in from. Up here in New England, storms can come from three different directions, which makes it even harder too keep them out of a storm.

You just can't plop a shelter down anywhere, a lot of thought does go into site selection. And I'm willing to bet most, if not all, club members are or were hikers. And probably do more hiking then the average thru-hiker, many of which do thier one big trip and never want to see the woods again.

1azarus
08-30-2013, 09:18
This is an amazing piece of work... I have been a practicing architect for well over 25 years and a serious hiker for about a decade and would be proud to produce such a useful document. Really impressive. Your work reminds me of an early pattern book: A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction, by Christopher Alexander -- written in the mid seventies -- only your work is more useful!!! Thought I'd see Alexander's book in your Bibliography...

Best of luck to you in your career!!!

perdidochas
08-30-2013, 11:23
Throughout our National Parks, acres of untouched land are slowly deteriorating to an irreversible status. Unfortunately, the
people who help cause the destruction are also the ones who value the land the most. Research indicates that traditional
“tent” camping causes harmful erosion and vegetation impaction that, if not addressed, could eventually lead to the
destruction of many natural parks.

I think this is a gross exaggeration. Do you have evidence that tent camping is doing all of that?

JAK
08-30-2013, 13:07
Beautiful work.

MuddyWaters
08-30-2013, 14:10
One day when I have a couple of hours , I would like to read it all.

However, tent camping doesnt cause destruction, concentrated camping does.

And where does concentrated camping occur?

At shelters mostly. But also some nice campsites with water nearby.

Unfortunately its a fact, that some areas must be sacrificial to lessen overall damage. Hence GSMNP policies.

lostagain
08-30-2013, 16:06
I think tent camping is a gross generalization. But it does cover not only hikers, but also the "HEY! Let's go spend a night in a tent out on the AT!" weekenders, whic is what I'm sure th OP meant. ALL tent camping in concentrated areas is going to cause problems. Although shelters help with this, the biggest issue with those is maintenance and age, and the fact that for the most part they aren't above ground. That's what makes the proposal so interesting is that Zach is proposing shelters on poles which allow a couple of options. If the shelter itself is full, one could always bivy beneath, or like those of us who hammock, hang beneath without taking up space in the shelter. It also offers both types of shelter should the hiker get caught in adverse weather, but doesn't want to stay. (Again this presumes the shelter is full) Less impact on the ground itself.

Very good job sir! Good luck with your dissertation!

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 16:53
....if the ATC or the trail clubs ever decide to look to the future of the Appalachian trail they will have some data points to look to. The trail of the future is something they don’t want to look at. It may require action other than putting their heads in the sand. Actual progress will take leadership. The ATC is seriously lacking in this department." - Moldy

Absolutely, ridiculous statement. The ATC absolutely does continually examine the future of the AT as it dynamically evolves and acts accordingly in their leadership role to protect it. No one organization has done more to stay true to Benton Mckaye's original intention of "creating and maintaining an unbroken wilderness footpath through the Appalachian Mountains." Who has done more to protect the historical identity and hiking opportunities of the AT by addressing the trail corridor than the ATC? This alone is a truly monumental task! Without the current level of instrumental work the ATC does combined with the Trail Clubs, trail related towns, and Gov't support the AT would shortly cease to exist or deteriorate into something that in no way resembles what it currently does.

"Many of the regulars on Whiteblaze are what I call trail clubbers. They offer a different perspective from hikers. We have shelters designed by trail clubs. Many trail club members won’t even sleep in them. If you let the hikers who use them have input in the design, location and frequency of shelters we would have a better trail. - Moldy

Perhaps, a more accurate word to use to lead this off with would be "Some?" While I agree with you that there is some debate by some whether or not trail shelters should exist I think your assessment of "Trail Clubbers" is incorrect. I would say most people who are in trail clubs are also hikers. Therefore, I know hikers input, both as "trail clubbers" and non-trail clubbers is taken into account with the design, location, and frequency of shelters. I totally agree with Slo-go-en's statement, "you just can't plop a shelter down anywhere, a lot of thought does go into site selection. And I'm willing to bet most, if not all, club members are or were hikers."

"Throughout our National Parks, acres of untouched land are slowly deteriorating to an irreversible status. Unfortunately, the people who help cause the destruction are also the ones who value the land the most. Research indicates that traditional “tent” camping causes harmful erosion and vegetation impaction that, if not addressed, could eventually lead to the destruction of many natural parks." - zcalla20

Agree with Perdidochas. You are grossly exaggerating the problem. While I agree, "research indicates that traditional (concentrated)“tent” camping (can)cause(s) harmful erosion and vegetation impaction...", and I appreciate your concern with this in regard to your thesis, that is not, IMHO, the greatest threat to the National Parks. IMHO, you are taking a very narrow minded view of the extent of the threats to the NPs. Besides, it's not like you're the first, including architects and environmental planners, to consider this impact. However, it's insightful that you are considering this as it relates to your field of study. It's welcome.

"This poses the question: can architecture provide the solution?" - zcalla20

Again, while architecture can possibly address some of the issue of tent impaction it is not a magic bullet, IMHO. It CAN BE part of a broader multi faceted solution that is adressing the situation from multiple perspectives or, in this case, disciplines.

"Shelters offer hikers a designated area to camp, thus decreasing the potential for illegal campsites." - zcalla20

I think you're making some assumptions here. It stems from you looking at solutions simply from an architectural, let's build something, we need order, regiment, and structure, perspective. You can have designated places to camp with no shelters at all! As it relates to NPs, this already widely occurs. Most NP hikers don't have regular access to shelters and it doesn't always lead to a problem with illegal campsites. IMHO, most often it doesn't. And, as Slo-go-en stated, but which I'll expand upon, many things are considered when campsite locations are being considered. This not only occurs in regard to AT shelter locations but also campsite locations without shelters such as in NPs. One thing that is considered is the substrate. LNT ethics also take this into consideration. As it relates to the AT, the ATC's approach with the assistance of trail clubs, etc, has been to offer a combination of shelters as well as camping opportunities rather than offering up a hut to hut type trail/hike which would have serious implications on a trail such as the AT. I think this is in line with Benton Mckaye's original concept and stays true to the modern historical identity of the "AT experience."

"However, with the increase in shelters throughout the Appalachian trail, a new issue occurs. Structure creep is the terminology used to describe the movement of once primitive structures to more advanced shelter designs, changing the identity of the Appalachian Trail." - zcalla20

Personally, I don't notice a huge increase in number of overall AT shelters. Perhaps, I should look at this by expanding my timeline? If it has been increasing, I think it's taken in context with increasing number of AT users. IMHO, it's been in line with this factor. And, if is occurring it's not by accident but by design. The other approach taken, in combination with other approaches, to meet the use is building larger higher capacity AT shelters such as: Springer Mt, Fontana"Hilton", Ed Garvey, Partnership, etc. These are typically two sleeping level cabin type shelters. IMHO the designs and impact although having larger capacity are in line with the typical "AT experience." IMHO, the designs are not significantly that different from an astethic perspective to the degree Mr Marion asserts in your thesis. If you asked the majority of AT hikers, IMHO, I think they would say the same. That's my assumption. IMHO, the various shelter designs can have both pros and cons. That's always being evaluated by those who know much more than you or me. To do something like have uniform shelter designs would not only be inviting problems from an architectural perspective but open up the doors to a myriad of potential other issues.

I've only read the first three chapters of your thesis so far. I'll get to reading the rest. It's been a good read so far. It's a well presented and organized one but from my perspective it lacks in a few areas, although not so much from an architectural perspective, but how your background understanding is influencing your architectural methodology. So far, IMHO, it's worthy of being a thesis. GREAT background to a fuller understanding that I sincerely hope you persue further as an aspiring architect. Hiking certainly can use someone like you. I much appreciate your work.

I've never mentioned all this but to help you understand where I'm coming from: Dogwood - Landscape Architect, Horticulturalist, Mathematician, one time aspiring Civil Engineer, Triple Crowner, 20K + trail miles, ATC member, NY/NJ Trail Conference member, PCT/CDT/FT/BMT/Na Ala Hele supporter, at least a dozen trail club affiliations ranging across the U.S., hiker of more than 44 NPs, hiker and trail related issues addict, blah blah blah.

Drybones
08-30-2013, 17:02
I think this is a gross exaggeration. Do you have evidence that tent camping is doing all of that?

Agree...I fail to see how me sleeping on the ground has any more impact than a deer or bear sleeping on the ground. But, it has been written, therefore it must be true.

Rasty
08-30-2013, 17:16

Agree...I fail to see how me sleeping on the ground has any more impact than a deer or bear sleeping on the ground. But, it has been written, therefore it must be true.

100% agree that LNT dispersed camping in hammocks or tents is the better way. Shelters invite littering and misuse just from being there. It's a nice thesis but in my opinion misguided. The AT needs less shelters and the ATC should start to rehabilitate many of these eyesores.

q-tip
08-31-2013, 08:46
BLOWN AWAY!!!!!--this may be an enduring contribution to the entire outdoor community.................

Slo-go'en
08-31-2013, 12:40
100% agree that LNT dispersed camping in hammocks or tents is the better way. Shelters invite littering and misuse just from being there. It's a nice thesis but in my opinion misguided. The AT needs less shelters and the ATC should start to rehabilitate many of these eyesores.

LNT specifies that you camp on "durable" surfaces, which is easier said then done. If hikers were to simply lay down on the ground and go to sleep like a bear or a deer that would have minumal impact. But we like to set up tents which means clearing out a space of sticks and rocks and what ever else is in the way. Even hammockers have impact, since your stomping around on the ground setting up, moving around and clearing things which are in the way. And of course, everyone wants a fire which makes more impact. When you pack up in the morning your suppost to restore the location to look like it was before you got there, but how many actually do?

The other issue is location. Not all locations are equal and the number of places which make a good campsite are limited and hence, these are the ones which get used, concentrating the impact to those locations anyway.

Then there is terrain. In the south with its wide ridges and generally rolling hills there are a lot more oppertunites for dispersed camping then there are in the north where the ridge is narrow, the mountains steep, rocky and with dense forest. But even in the south, camping is concentrated in the desirable places, mostly where there is access to water near-by. Where there is water, you will find campsites.

I don't belive there are many more shelters now then there have been historically. A few have been relocated, a couple have been removed altogether. Mostly they have been replaced with more modern structures. There are a number of shelters in NC which could use replacing. The original 30's era log shelters have definately seen better days. Even if all the shelters were to be removed (or simply left to rot into the ground) they are still in desirable locations which will get all the use. And you have to admit, shelters are a nice place to get out of the rain and we all know it tends to rain a lot along the AT.

How a shelter is rebuilt depends a lot on how difficult it is to get the matterials to the site. Many shelter locations have secret (or not so secret) vehicle access fairly close by. Remote locations such as in Maine, new shelters are still made from logs cut at or near the site. Otherwise, everything would have to be flown in by chopper at great expense.

Cosmo
09-02-2013, 09:47
Nice work on the matrix. The book is listed as "unavailable". Can you provide an alternate link?

Cosmo