PDA

View Full Version : How the heck did that lean-to get there?

TJ aka Teej
08-28-2013, 20:02
Hard work by dedicated people, that's how.
A behind the scenes look at the new Center Pond lean-to:
http://baxtertrails.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-backcountry-leanto-happens.html#more

tridavis
08-28-2013, 21:01
Thanks. That is really cool.

The Greenman
08-28-2013, 21:20
Quite amazing the logistics that are involved! Thank you for posting.

The Cleaner
08-28-2013, 21:41
Nice post & info. If more hikers knew how much work is involved in building a lean-to or shelter maybe they would think more about leaving litter or abusing them. On cold & wet days many hikers have been saved from hypothermia or worse by using these facilities....

Dogwood
08-28-2013, 23:00
We can get so self absorbed, even as hikers, that it can escape us how much work has to be done and resources have to come together to make hiking possible both on a short term as well as on a continuing basis. It can be so easy to take things for granted when were self concerned.

Thank you so much for sharing this. My sincere hope and expectation is that it jolts us into giving back to hiking and having a greater appreciation for what happens, often at the hands of volunteers, for us to enjoy a trail and trail shelters.

Never knew how much work happens out of necessity during the winter when deep snow is experienced. Makes sense in many ways though.

scudder
08-29-2013, 06:36
About 15 years ago I talked to a guy at Crabtree Meadows who was loading a donkey into the back of his pickup. He had just finished a day of moving lumber to the Priest shelter for much needed repairs.

turtle fast
08-29-2013, 09:02
I agree with Dogwood that many hikers take these structures for granted. While some are near close access points those shelters in difficult to access places amazes me. I would like to give these folks a warm thank you as hauling lumber a mile or two is no fun feat and gives new meaning to the term sweat equity.

TJ aka Teej
08-29-2013, 21:52
If more hikers knew how much work is involved in building a lean-to or shelter maybe they would think more about leaving litter or abusing them.

We can only hope!

Meriadoc
08-30-2013, 07:15
Thanks for sharing! I have always wondered how deep backcountry sites were built without helicopter support.

Many thanks to all who work on such projects!

How is something similar performed further south where the snowpack is even less predictable and usable?

russb
08-30-2013, 07:37
In some areas, no motorized vehicles are allowed so all materials, tools, etc... are transported by human power. While the logs look big, it is the roofing materials which can be the heaviest.

russb
08-30-2013, 07:41
Thanks for sharing! I have always wondered how deep backcountry sites were built without helicopter support.

Many thanks to all who work on such projects!

How is something similar performed further south where the snowpack is even less predictable and usable?

Not on the AT, but in the Adirondacks: http://bit.ly/1dsTVV5

Heavy duty canoe carts. We have now upgraded to motorcycle wheels due to breaking so many mountain bike wheels.