PDA

View Full Version : Partnership Shelter

CentralVaAt
08-28-2013, 20:12
I plan on staying at Partnership Shelter in VA on Friday night. I've never been there, but am looking forward to it. I wanted to get some more details beforehand though. I've heard about the pizza delivery...is there a certain time that delivery stops? Also, I read somewhere about a shuttle, does that have specific times too? Just wanted to make sure we arrive in time to take advantage of the fancy amenities! Thanks!

Praha4
08-28-2013, 20:55
They post all the info on pizza delivery and shuttles into Marion, VA on the outside of the Mt Rogers Visitor Center, which is right next to Partnership Shelter. You can't really miss seeing it as it's on the wall to the side of the doors to the visitor center. There's also a courtesy telephone there too outside the building to call the shuttle or pizza guys. I would suggest getting in there before too late, not sure when they stop running each day.

Del Q
08-28-2013, 21:48
Great spot............I raced there in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm, probably the fastest that I have moved in a long time..........and with a 30lb pack.

Got there cold wet and tired. Placed was closed down. Used every hook, door handle, etc to hang my wet gear. Had some Whiskey, that was really really nice to have. Then looked at the menu and ordered a supreme pizza and wings. Like 40 minutes later my dinner arrived by the gate.

Ate everything.............then crashed in the (really nice) shelter. Was cold out, shower was not on yet. Yes, there is a shower there.

The next morning I hiked SOBO, before long the views began and it just got better from there.

From the Partnership Shelter to Damascus is a GREAT section. Grayson Highlands is amazing.

johnnybgood
08-28-2013, 22:17
Del Q , maybe you know the answer...isn't there's a minimum $25 order for delivery ?

Slo-go'en
08-29-2013, 10:05
Del Q , maybe you know the answer...isn't there's a minimum $25 order for delivery ?

Probably, but that isn't hard to do.

The last time I was at Partnership, I took one look at the crowd there and kept walking. Actually, I hitched into Marion and got a room - I was heading home the next day anyway.

Rain Man
08-29-2013, 10:17
I plan on staying at Partnership Shelter in VA on Friday night. I've never been there, but am looking forward to it. I wanted to get some more details beforehand though. I've heard about the pizza delivery...is there a certain time that delivery stops?...

I was there about 4 years ago, so my info may be dated. Still, here are the two pizza delivery numbers I have from that time. You might just call them and ask?

Atkins Pizza Hut 276-783-3104
Atkins Pizza Plua 276-781-2006

Although I liked the pizza, I probably enjoyed the sweet tea and ICE that they delivered to me just as much if not more. They do sub sandwiches and other items too.

You might also check Awol's guide book, "The A.T. Guide." He keeps it very up-to-date. http://theatguide.com/

Enjoy!
Rain:sunMan

Tennessee Viking
08-29-2013, 10:47
Pizza Hut is better but Pizza Plus is cheap. I believe they do 2 pizza order on the cheap. Pizza Sub and Bread/Cheese sticks are good.

Plodderman
08-29-2013, 16:16
Just was there in late July. Greta Shelter I do not know how crowded it will be as we only had our group of five there. When did not get in the shelter until around 8:30 so we missed the cut off time for Pizza. I believe you can order until 7 PM Enjoyed the shower and the water access by the Mt Rogers visitor Center.

When I came thorugh in June of 2010 it was packed with thru hikers but I think you miss them this time of year.

jbwood5
08-29-2013, 16:47
I was there in the early 2000's and the pizza place would deliver beer.... that is until they got busted! :)
Now I hear they are very strict about no alcohol at that site and will ticket and evict people.

onesocktwin
08-29-2013, 17:05
We were there July 4th weekend 2013. There was space in the shelter when we arrived but we chose to tent. There were tents everywhere! I believe the minimum delivery order was $20 but that wasn't a problem. We just yelled who wants to order pizza and got more than enough. It was a busy night and the wait was long but very worth it!! The shower was only cold water. Great shelter, outside sink to wash dishes or laundry. Decent outhouse with lockable doors rather than privy.

Del Q
08-29-2013, 20:33
Don't know about $25 minimum.......if there was one I do not recall, but would be HAPPY to exceed their limit. Pizza travels.

Was yet another cool, special AT experience.

Don H
08-29-2013, 21:01
Beer at Partnership?

Lone Wolf
08-29-2013, 21:03
Beer at Partnership?

Aholes like that get a lot of places shut down

Rain Man
08-29-2013, 21:17
Aholes like that get a lot of places shut down

Amen to that! NOT cool. FAIL.

:(

Slo-go'en
08-29-2013, 23:21
And tenting under the "NO TENTING" sign.

SawnieRobertson
08-30-2013, 14:34
Another reason to head into Marion, a new barbeque place on Main Street near Macados, same side of the street. I am told it is good.

carouselambra
01-19-2016, 14:50
I understand that you are not supposed to tent near the Partnership Shelter. How far away in each direction is it to the tent sites that are outside of the "no tenting" zone?

George
01-19-2016, 14:56
I understand that you are not supposed to tent near the Partnership Shelter. How far away in each direction is it to the tent sites that are outside of the "no tenting" zone?

zone is less than half mile if I remember right

Gambit McCrae
01-19-2016, 15:00

When I cam thru there were tents south of the shelter in the woods, within sight. it was an established spot, but not saying it is correct too sleep here

Picture of shelter site (http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_VAsection41/ATPictures.aspx)

bigcranky
01-19-2016, 15:03
There is also a site north of the shelter, across the road, maybe a quarter mile into the woods.