PDA

View Full Version : New Section Hiker- My Story, My Gear, My Food, Your Thoughts!

Candy Korn
08-28-2013, 22:57
Here's my story in the briefest nutshell I can manage...
This will be my first section hike of the AT. I have hiked parts of it on day hikes while living in Asheville, NC but have never spent the night and kept hiking the next day.
What took me to Asheville? Roller Derby and School! I played roller derby in Tampa, Fl. starting in 2006. In 2009, I decided to move to Asheville and skate with a league there. While there, I feel in love with the mountains and the trails, but roller derby kept me very busy (oh and school but I was way more involved with roller derby). I moved back to Tampa, Fl area in 2011 to be closer to my family and I had already graduated. I started to play rollover derby back in Tampa but had a sudden bad run of luck....turns out all the hits to my head during my 6 years of playing roller derby took its toll. I had got a mild concussion and went to get myself check out. They decided to do a scan and found out that at one point I had a brain bleed but luckily it had cleared up. I only had a mild concussion, but the doctor told me that I needed to stop playing contact sports because all of the injuries over the years have complied and I could really do permanent brain damage if I continued. I stopped playing and started coaching! This sport has taken me all over the world and I have had a blast doing it, but I am a bit tired of practice 5days a week and not getting to play too. So I am retiring after our last tournament in September.
My hike....I decided that I wanted to try a section hike of the AT to see if I was even capable of doing the whole thing, and time restraints as of now, sometime in February. I have been planning since then. I will be hiking with my service dog so when I say we, it's just me and him. He and I have been training here in Florida since mid March and doing 2-3 nights on the longest trails I can find here that also offer primitive campsites. We have encountered all animals that could be on the trail except bears, but I am confident we will be able to handle it after all the friendly help here and being vigilant in storing my food.
We will be going doing the first 110 miles staring at springer mt. I am thinking we can do about 8 miles the first few days then step it up to 11 or 12. We are tent camping the whole time so we do not disturb shelters. (We both do better in the tent!)
Here is my gear list and his and our food list. He is carrying all his own stuff and has been practicing for it so he is ready! Please feel free to Le me know if I'm missing something or feel free to leave your thoughts on my gear. I got all of this on a very tight budget but have been testing it out and getting used to it and like all that I have :)
Big items:
- Kelty Red Cloud 80women's
-kelty 20degree women's sleeping bag
-Ozark Trail 3season 2 person tent with foot print and tarp for rain fly
-sea to Summit pack cover
-thermorest self inflating sleeping pad
-crazy creek chair
-katadyn hiker pro water filter
-bear spray
-bear vault
-goal zero solar power charger
-2 32oz. Nalgene bottles
-Spot GPS tracker
Cook Bag:
-Jetboil stove kit
-GSP Outdoor cook pot, bowl, cup
-wind screen
-spork
- bandana
Clothing:
-Rain Wear Bag- Frogg Toggs Rain Suit - Ourdoor Reaserch Short length gaiters
-Separate clothes bag -2 underwear/ 1 on me, 1 packed
-3 pairs socks/ 1 on me, 2 packed
-2 convertible pants/ 1on me, 1 packed
-2 convertible shirts/ 1 on me, 1 packed
-1 bandana
-fleece packed
-2 sports bras/ 1 on me, 1 packed
-baseball cap on me
-Salomon Women's Hiking Boots
-Keen Sandles for camp
Personals Bag:
--everything in separate ziploc baggies- bug spray with deet
-Sunscreen
-Camps Suds 3oz.
- travel toothbrush
-travel toothpaste
-hand sanitizer
-1 roll portable toilet paper
-2empty ziplocks for waste
-30ft rope
Handy Bag:
- basic Swiss aArmy knife
-energizer head lamp
-foldable shovel
-sea to summit insect shield
First aid: 4-3x1 bandages, 2-2x6 bandages, 1 small roll stretch wrap, 2 alcohol pads, 2 doses aspirin, 2 doses ibprophen, 2sting relief pads, 1 small roll medical tape, 1 neosprorin on the go, 1 small roll duck tape, water proof matches, water tablets, emergency whistle
My Dogs Pack:
-rain cover for him
-pack cover
-chuck it travel bed
-ruff wear dog boot
-2 6ft leads, 1 on him, 1 back up
- 2 32oz. Nalgene bottles
-2 portable food/ water bowls
- sea to summit insect shield
-odor resistant bags for food
Our Food:
we are stopping at Neels Gap and I'm giving us 6 days to get there.
His---
- 1 packet of wet food per day/6packets
-2 cups dry food per day/ 12 cups
-3 biskit/bones per day--18
- 3 pieces of jerky a day--1 pack jerky
My Food---
-Breakfast: -combination of eggs and grits/oatmeal/granola
-dehydrated eggs and bacon-3bags=6 meal with supplement
-oatmeal and grits- 6oatmeal 3grits=6 meal supplements
-dehydrated milk and granola- 1pack=4 meal supplements
-Lunch:
-peanut butter and jelly on tortilla- 12oz peanut butter/8 indivitual jelly packets/5 tortillas
- tuna and crackers- 2 packets of tuna/ 1 sleeve crackers
-Dinner:- dehydrated meal and meat
- dehydrated meals- chilli Mac, beef stroganoff, chicken Alfredo/ 3 packages=6 meals
- pepperoni and beef jerky- 1 package of pepperoni, 1 package of jerky=6 meals
-Snacks: - gorp ( m&m, honey roasted peanuts, raisins, pretzels)
- chewy granola bars- 10 cliff and natures valley bars
- fruit leathers- 10 assorted fflavored
-cinnamon roasted almonds and walnuts
-Extra Food Stuff-- 6 tablespoons protein powder, 6 iced tea packets, 6 coffe packets, 6 emergenC, salt and pepper, 3 hot chocolate, 12 packets of honey

Ok, that's it, thanks in advance for those who read all of it

Mountain Mike
08-28-2013, 23:40
Bear spray & vault are overkill, really not needed. CC chair? I have one but seldom take it as onces add up & eventually become pounds. Clothing depends on when & where your hike is. Standard for clothing is one set for hiking & one for camp & town. Looks pretty good, just take note of what you use each hike so you only carry what you need for the next one. Starting at Springer you can mail supplies to Neels Gap & keep you weight down first 30 miles. The only way to find what works for you is to go out & try it. I have many tents, packs & stoves. Each suited for certain seasons & weather. Good luck on your hike!

rocketsocks
08-29-2013, 00:10
What, No candy corn??? prolly just an oversite, I love candy corn, the staler the better....but even more than candy corn, I love roller derby...on a tilted track....bring back the tilted track! I say....but i digress...

I guess you'll use socks for gloves, many do

Excellent culinary choice of dinners, three of my favs too

that's all i got, congrats on your choice to walk away from somethin you love to do, prolly a good call, to many brain dead hikers walkin around in the woods these days anyway. Seriously though, good move...we can't abuse our body's our entire lives. great luck to you on your hike.

oh, and one more thing, kudos for thinking about the dogs rain gear, I rarely see people post that they are bring one for the dog.

illabelle
08-29-2013, 04:50
Our Food:
we are stopping at Neels Gap and I'm giving us 6 days to get there.

Welcome to WB! Wow, that's quite a first post! Good for you for being thorough in your description. So many ask for advice without telling us their experience level, and the responses they get range from helpful to completely not. One thing that wasn't entirely clear - to me - is when you're hiking. Will you be doing this section in September after your retirement? or in February?

Regarding your food, it's only 30 miles from Springer to Neels Gap. We did this section in 3 days, and we're not fast (we didn't do the approach trail). Four days should be plenty.

You didn't tell us what your loaded pack weighs. Mountain Mike questioned you bringing a chair - almost nobody carries a chair for any length. I think the concern is whether your overall weight is too much.

Good luck with your hike!:)

Chris10
08-29-2013, 05:43
I would leave the chair and vault for sure.
and I know hike your own hike and all, but I'd wait to go until further along into Spring, early summer. February can and could be pretty brutal in the mountains. If you are trying to avoid the "crowd", leave late April, early May.

oh, and good luck and have fun!

moldy
08-29-2013, 08:48
You have way too much stuff for a 31 mile hike, seek professional help. It must weigh 50 pounds. February is all wrong.

RED-DOG
08-29-2013, 09:47
WOW that's a lot of stuff: things you don't need if you going to this in February.
1 Bear spray.
2 Bear Vault.
3 Sun Screen
4 Bug Spray.
5 G.P.S Tracker ( the AT is well marked ).
6 Crazy Creek Chair ( their's just no need for one ).
7 Insect shield ( bugs don't come out until April ).
8 Foldable shovel ( get a plastic one instead ).
9 Camp suds ( what this for ).
10 Bowl, Cup ( don't need them ).
11 Portable Toilet Paper ( that stuff don't last, get a regular roll and stuff it in a Zip-Lock bag ).
Things your dog don't need.
1 Chuck it travel bed ( he can sleep in the tent with you ).
2 Rain cover for him ( he just don't one ).
3 Nalgene Bottles ( he is not going to need those ).
4 He is not going to need a Insect shield.
The AT in February can Brutally cold, Since you are from Florida and used to the warmer climate, start later like in April, Just keep this in Mind, Good Luck and Happy Hiking.

Ezra
08-29-2013, 10:16
The folks who I see carrying rope for the most part carry parachute cord, anything heavier would be overkill.

Gray Blazer
08-29-2013, 12:12
Your gear is better than mine. Why do you have a woman's sleeping bag?

Rasty
08-29-2013, 12:29
Your gear is better than mine. Why do you have a woman's sleeping bag?

Her name is Candice.

max patch
08-29-2013, 13:12
I wouldn't go on a 110 mile hike in february with a 20 degree bag.

Candy Korn
08-29-2013, 13:38
We are going the last week of September. My pack completely loaded weighs 43pounds. I have been training with it weighted at 55 pounds ( my gear plus hand weights). I know it's a bit extreme, but I am a bit extreme as well! My thoughts are if i train for way harder situations, the actual thing I'm doing will seem like a breeze! My dog weights a solid 65 pounds and his pack is 21 pounds packed, he has been training with 25 pounds, a bit much but he is a boxer/pit bull mix with solid muscle, he loves it! Am I am a woman, hence the woman specific items ;)
The bear vault. After putting my food in a waterproof bag and then another bag to hang it, I tried hanging it. I wish I had a video cause you all would die from laughter. You would think a woman that has played sports would be able to get a rope in a tree with some aim, this was not the case. Compile that my dog loves rope, to chew on, so he thought it was a game of " let me catch that rope in the air mom". Took me close to 2 hours before I had it "properly hung". The water proof bag and diddy sack to hang that I have weigh 1.3 pounds, the vault weights 2.6. I made the very conscious choice of adding the extra 1.3.
I have been giving thoughts to ditching the crazy creek and just using the bear vault to sit on.
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I am a work in progress you might say, but I think we all are :)

Rasty
08-29-2013, 14:06
Living on flat land like I do, it is important to remember that 50# on flat land isn't a big deal. 45-50# on steep hills will kick your butt unless you got serious leg muscles.

Gray Blazer
08-29-2013, 14:19
I've seen more bears on the FT Than the AT.

Because of lack of hills in FL you may want to find some multi-story buildings in Tampa or Tampa Stadium and walk those steps a few times.

illabelle
08-29-2013, 14:51
CK, you mentioned that your dog is a service dog. Does this mean that your physical health will restrict your ability to hike? And if so, does that factor into your schedule or preparations in some way? I don't mean to pry, just wondering if we're getting an accurate picture.

I carry more weight than I should, often in the 35# range, occasionally closer to 40#, 43# is definitely getting uncomfortably heavy. If you can reduce your food a bit and leave the chair behind, that will help. But don't feel like you can't take things you want. For example, somebody above said you don't need a cup and bowl. Truthfully I suppose you don't NEED them, but if you want them, and you're able to carry them, go ahead. I don't like eating from a zip-lock. I carry a bowl, but I use it for both a cup and a bowl.

A concern about your bear vault: Does all your food fit in it? If not, you'll have to hang a bag anyway...or sleep with it in your tent. Not recommending it, just recognizing that some do. We do some of both.

Weather-man
08-29-2013, 15:38
Wow! That's a lot of stuff. Have you had a chance to weigh everything yet, to include a liter or 2 of water? I'd say 50lbs is on the light side. From reading your bio it seems that you're professional athlete so I have to assume that you're in good physical condition which means you're capable of carrying all of this....but why :) ? IMO your hike will be so much more enjoyable if you lighten this up a bit. As others have said here already many of the items that you're carrying simply aren't required for an enjoyable, safe hike. I've embedded my .02 below...

Caveat- while I'm not an ultra light hiker I do go comfortably light so that's my perspective when commenting. Also, not sure what your money constraints are but there are much lighter options for many of your items.

As another poster mentioned, race tracks in Myakka, don't equate to humping up Sassafrass mountain with 50+ pounds. Can you do? I think you can...will you like like it? Maybe not.

What's your resupply plan? Any town days in there?

Do you have AWOLs guide?

Smart phone? If so there are some great aps for the AT as well as weather aps.

I didn't comment on your food but would recommend that you shoot for about 3000 cal/per day. A stick of butter in the cold is great. When winter hiking/ camping I put a dollop in everything....even my coco in the morning. More chocolate too. Eating a bite of chocolate at night before bed or drinking a pack of hot jello will help keep you warm. Also, dry soups are great in the winter.

Have you considered going the extra 25 or so miles and stopping at the NOC? That's a wonderful place to stop and rest before heading back.

Finally, my comments below are not meant to be critical but rather just critical thinking from my perspective. I'm also in Tampa and am heading up to the smokies in mid Sep with one of my daughters. This summer has been brutal and I can't wait to get to the mountains.

Big Items
- Kelty Red Cloud 80women's- -kelty 20degree women's sleeping bag- Might be a bit light for the weather in Feb...
-Ozark Trail 3season 2 person tent with foot print and tarp for rain fly- Not sure but sounds heavy!
-sea to Summit pack cover I use a compactor bag inside my pack, ymmv...
-thermorest self inflating sleeping pad- Which model? These vary and a good R value will make life much nicer if it gets cold.
-crazy creek chair- Not for me though a small piece of foam is nice in the cold months to sit on.
-katadyn hiker pro water filter- If this freezes it's mission non capable. It's heavy as well. I'd say go with aqua mira drops for the cold weather
-bear spray- not needed
-bear vault- not needed
-goal zero solar power charger- Why? All I see is the spot tracker? Are you carrying a phone as well? I'd go with the New Trent 5000mah lithium battery, instead, if you need juice.
-2 32oz. Nalgene bottles- Heavy. Use 2, 1 qt gatorade bottles instead. I'd bring a 2 liter platypus as well for a total or 4 liters of camp water (water for your buddy as well)
-Spot GPS tracker
Cook Bag:
-Jetboil stove kit- Nice and fast but single purpose. Can't use your pot in a fire if one's available. I use a Soto with Ti pot. How much fuel are you carrying?
-GSP Outdoor cook pot, bowl, cup- Drop the bowl at least and use your pot. Did you mean GSI....? If so, there are lighter options.
-wind screen
-spork- I personally don't like sporks and opt for a long handled Ti spoon which helps with the deeper Freeze dried food bags.
- bandana
Clothing: I don't see any real warmies....Feb in the mountains can get way down into the teens or even single digits. I'd bring a light or medium down jacket and warm hat as well, for sleeping
-Rain Wear Bag- Frogg Toggs Rain Suit - Ourdoor Reaserch Short length gaiters- While I usually go light as practical with rain gear I go more durable with pit zips. I use Marmot Precip pants and jacket. Heavy but works well for me.
-2 convertible pants/ 1on me, 1 packed- drop the second pair. Be stinky and go light!
-2 convertible shirts/ 1 on me, 1 packed- same as above
-1 bandana
-fleece packed- add merino mid (or heavy...it is Feb...) weight tops and bottoms for sleeping and moving around camp.
-2 sports bras/ 1 on me, 1 packed
-baseball cap on me
-Keen Sandles for camp
Personals Bag:
--everything in separate ziploc baggies- bug spray with deet- No bugs in Feb
-Sunscreen
-Camps Suds 3oz.- Use Dr Bonners for washing, teeth, etc...instead
- travel toothbrush
-travel toothpaste
-hand sanitizer
-1 roll portable toilet paper- Roll of good ole Charmin
-30ft rope
Handy Bag:
- basic Swiss aArmy knife- not really needed, IMO
-energizer head lamp- Heavy
-foldable shovel- Not really needed
-sea to summit insect shield- Not needed in Feb
First aid: 4-3x1 bandages, 2-2x6 bandages, 1 small roll stretch wrap, 2 alcohol pads, 2 doses aspirin, 2 doses ibprophen, 2sting relief pads, 1 small roll medical tape, 1 neosprorin on the go, 1 small roll duck tape, water proof matches, water tablets, emergency whistle- I carry Leuko tape which can suffice for duct tape, medical tape and moleskin. The hand sanitizer can replace the alcohol pad. Drop the AsA and load UP (!) on the Motrin. I carry at least 3 days at 2400 mg per day.

we are stopping at Neels Gap and I'm giving us 6 days to get there.- Long time to get to Neel's. 4 days is about normal I'd say, if moving at a leisurely pace.

Ok, that's it, thanks in advance for those who read all of it

Candy Korn
08-29-2013, 15:38
Duke is a registered PTSD Emotional Support dog. My physical health is fine, I work out 15-20 hours a week with the roller derby team I coach, on top of training for this hike. My mental health is fine, now, but I have worked at that for a long time and Duke has been very helpful. I am not ashamed to talk about, in fact, I'm proud of how far I have come, but not everyone wants or needs to hear about it. I don't mind if people pry, it's a natural instinct to be curious :) I have managed to get all of that food in my bear vault (Tetris master!) and yes it is a bit heavy but food is important! The Spot GPS is for my family to alleviate some of their concerns.
After reading some of these responses, I have made some decisions:
- leaving the chair at home!
- going with 4-5 days to Neels gap instead of 6 will allow for me to take out a whole days worth of food! This will cut down some weight too
- going with 1 6ft lead for my dog (I have rope to use if I need)
-going to switch my rope out for parachute cord
- I'm also going to take out the bowl and leave that at home. I can use the cup for both!
So going buy all my lists of EVERYTHING I have written down (item,weight,description, location in bag and in pack) I just took off/out 4.1 pounds, bringing my pack to under 40! Awesome :)

Slo-go'en
08-29-2013, 15:52
The term "service dog" seems to be very loosely defined these days.

A 21 pound pack for a dog is down right cruel. That boarders on abuse. I don't even like lugging a 21 pound pack!

He might be able to handle that load on a short hike in Florida, but you get into the mountains of Georgia and I can guarentee after the 2nd day he's not going to be loving it any more. Your not going to like that 42 pound pack much either.

You definately need to lighten both your dogs and your load by a significant amount. Lots of advice available here at WB, you just have to look for it.

max patch
08-29-2013, 16:03
I don't hike with a dog so I'm not going to offer any advice, however, I will pass along what REI says:

Pack weight should be no more than 25% of dogs weight. That would give your dog a 16 pound pack.

A dog will eat more when backpacking. Up to twice as much, so plan according.

Just FYI. I hope you have a good hike.

Candy Korn
08-29-2013, 16:20
As far as his pack weight, I am going by 3 different books, talking with his vet, and tons of online research saying that up to 1/3 of the dogs weight is fine for his pack. It's not cruel nor is it abuse. If you read the entire post, you would see that we have been training for long hikes doing 2-3 day hikes. The term "nice guy" is also a very loosely defined these days. I am new to hiking the AT and open and welcoming to advice, but personal digs are not necessary.

lostagain
08-29-2013, 18:19
CK....I'm new to this forum, but have hiked many a mile and when I read your OP, my first thought was "You're humpin' too much s**t troop!" 39 - 40 lbs is waaay too heavy to be packing through the mountains in any weather. I'm +1 on all who said ditch the chair, bear vault, goal zero solar power charger, 32oz. Nalgene bottles, and the wind screen ( you can't use one with a canister stove unless the can sits outside the windscreen). Get rid of the Goal Zero and carry extra batteries. Their lighter and the GZ doesn't really work that well when it isn't consistently exposed to sunshine. (I know, I have one, and it's never worked as glowingly as the GZ folks hype it to). I'd keep one of Duke's bowls. Instead of the 32oz. Nalgenes, I'd get a couple of 1L Smartwater (or equivalent) bottles, and/or a 2L water bladder. You can use the Smartwaters not only for drinking water on the trail, but also in camp, and they weigh a lot less than the Nalgenes do. The bladder will afford you fewer water stops, as well as filtered water (presuming you used your filter to fill it) once you've stopped to camp.

I know you're on a limited budget, but if you save some $$ and look on Ebay you can find far lighter 2 person tents than that OT behemoth. In fact, I've got a 1 person tent that weighs only 3lbs and you could shelter Duke if need be by a $10 5x7 tarp (Wally World camping section). I don't see if you're using trekking poles (also not very $$ @ Wally World) which can be used to help setup the tarp. Look online and get some Aloksak Opsacs. These are odor barrier bags that come in various sizes and alleviate the bear canister need. You can replace the chair with any of these (all of which are lighter than the Crazy Creek):

http://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool http://www.rei.com/product/845302/rei-sit-pad http://www.rei.com/product/829881/therm-a-rest-z-seat-pad http://www.rei.com/product/829895/therm-a-rest-trekker-chair-kit (this one is designed to use with your sleep pad as its support)

NEVER EVER REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF FOOD YOU'RE TAKING UNLESS STOPPING FOR RESUPPLY. I can't emphasize that enough. Always carry one meal more than you htink you're going to need. There are tons of available resources (right here on this forum I'm sure) that can tell you where the shelters are and where you can resupply. Max Patch is right: Duke will eat way more on the trail. I know you've been training, but as has been said, walking in the relatively flat, humid, warm climate and terrain of FL is way different once you've gotten to the AT and you're starting out on top (mostly) of a mountain. It's a whole lot of up and down. (Duke won't need the booties either).

One last thing.....invest in some emergency duct tape (made by SOL or McNett) and a little travel sewing kit. Crap happens and you can fix almost anything with duct tape.
I don't think you've made any kind of mistake in your training. Just in your gear selection. If finances don't allow it, then you've got to go with what you've got. Just keep in mind that ~40 pounds is going to seem a chore after about the first day and a half of mountain trail walking.

Another thing that comes to mind is have you seam sealed your tent? Did you get the Frogg Toggs ultralite rain suit? If so, buy the poncho as well. Leave the pack cover at home. Not that there's anything wrong with a pack cover. They're great if you're going to use them at night to cover the pack, but when it rains and you're wearing the pack, water will run down the straps and onto/into your pack. The poncho will cover both you and your pack. (of course you could always go with one of these :): http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx?mm_replace=true&utm_campaign=7962&utm_term=golite%20poncho%20tarp&mm_campaign=886d11d34e7c9cdc29e792c5cdbfdfb0&utm_medium=google&utm_source=trada&utm_content=22056985244
)
So, take all this for what it's worth, use what you want, ignore the rest and have a good hike! Let us know how you're doing when you're on the trail.

MuddyWaters
08-29-2013, 20:30
As far as his pack weight, I am going by 3 different books, talking with his vet, and tons of online research saying that up to 1/3 of the dogs weight is fine for his pack. It's not cruel nor is it abuse. If you read the entire post, you would see that we have been training for long hikes doing 2-3 day hikes. The term "nice guy" is also a very loosely defined these days. I am new to hiking the AT and open and welcoming to advice, but personal digs are not necessary.

The same authorities will tell you its OK for a persons pack to be 30% of their bodyweight.

Maybe on flat ground for 2 miles, but definitely not in the mountains for 100 miles.

That would be 60 lbs for a 180 lb person.

Trust me, it aint so. And it wont be without effects.

Cut it in half.

Its about enjoying yourself out there, not suffering with every step.

Neels gap is easily made in 2-3 days by persons with light packs.

Slo-go'en
08-29-2013, 20:40

Sorry, being blunt and to the point comes off as harsh, when I just wish you and your dog the best. Yes, I read the whole thing and was shocked when you spoke of the weights.

Just because your dog can carry 1/3d its weight doesn't mean it should. So you read he can carry 20+ pounds so thats what you load him up with, eh?

Thankfully, your not going out for very long or very far and you have to suffer before you learn. And learning can be painful, dispite all the advice you get before hand. Posting the gear list was a good start and you got some good suggestions so far. Now do a ton of research on how to make that load 20-25 pounds for you and 10 pounds for the dog. You asked for my thoughts, so there they are.

The Cleaner
08-29-2013, 21:47
FWIW IMO Ozark tents are for kids & people at a campground, pretty much junk. If you happen to get some high winds or a lot of rain you and all your gear will be wet. You need a real tent at least something from Kelty , Eureka or other good quality. Also better tents may have a warranty in case of needed repair. Be prepared to spend 100-200$.....

Chris10
08-29-2013, 21:49
A couple of things. I think the overall idea here is to travel as light as you can, while staying in your comfort level. If you'd have a higher comfort level, using the SPOT, and the bear vault, use them, though,I would agree with most that they are unnecessary, or at least unnecessary for me when I hike.
Being from a coastal area myself, the advice is pretty sound that there is a big difference between hiking where you are at and hiking in N.Georgia. Having said that, you sound as though you are in good shape, and although you'll feel it going up Sassafras Mt., you should be fine.
With the dog, keep in mind that the trail is pretty rocky in parts, and can be tough on a Dog's paws, keep the pack weight as low as possible for it as well.
A big +1 on the hiking poles as well!

LIhikers
08-29-2013, 21:54
I'd like to make a suggestion about your dog's lead. While places that require a lead usually call for a 6 footer, there are many situations on the trail where you'll need, or want, a different length. My wife and I have been hiking with dogs for years, including just under 900 miles on the AT in sections, and find it very useful to have something called a Flexi-lead. It's an adjustable length lead that you can lock at any length. Sometimes you'll want it short and sometimes long. We put the handle through our belt so that we don't have to constantly have to hold it but can get our hands on it in an instant. Oh, the only time our dog is off lead is when we're in our tent. I know a flexi-lead is heavier than what you have planned but I believe it's worth it. Also, you might want to replace your Nalgene bottles with quart gator aide bottle to save a bunch of weigh. Also, one dog bowl will do.

Candy Korn
08-30-2013, 00:22
Updated list from suggestions made here and more research.
Big items:
- Kelty Red Cloud 80women's
-kelty 20degree women's sleeping bag
-Ozark Trail 3season 2 person tent with foot print and tarp for rain fly Looking for new one but have to wait on pay check for this and only have 100$ to spend.
-sea to Summit pack cover
-thermorest self inflating sleeping pad
-crazy creek chair Leaving this at home
-katadyn hiker pro water filter
-bear spray
-bear vault
-goal zero solar power charger
-2 32oz. Nalgene bottles Switching 1 of these to a large smart water bottle.
-Spot GPS tracker
Cook Bag:
-Jetboil stove kit
-GSP Outdoor cook pot, bowl, cup Took out the bowl.
-wind screen
-spork
- bandana
Clothing:
-Rain Wear Bag- Frogg Toggs Rain Suit - Ourdoor Reaserch Short length gaiters
-2 convertible pants/ 1on me, 1 packed Just the pair I'm wearing now.
-2 convertible shirts/ 1 on me, 1 packed Just the one I'm wearing now.
-1 bandana
-fleece packed
-2 sports bras/ 1 on me, 1 packed Just the one I'm wearing now.
-baseball cap on me
-Keen Sandles for camp Switched for lighter flip flops
Personals Bag:
--everything in separate ziploc baggies- bug spray with deet
-Sunscreen
-Camps Suds 3oz.
- travel toothbrush
-travel toothpaste
-hand sanitizer
-1 roll portable toilet paper
-30ft rope Switching to parachute cord
Handy Bag:
- basic Swiss aArmy knife
-energizer head lamp Looking for a lighter one for less than 20$.
-foldable shovel Going to use one of my tent stakes for this and leave the shovel at home.
-sea to summit insect shield
First aid: 4-3x1 bandages, 2-2x6 bandages, 1 small roll stretch wrap, 2 alcohol pads, 2 doses aspirin, 2 doses ibprophen, 2sting relief pads, 1 small roll medical tape, 1 neosprorin on the go, 1 small roll duck tape, water proof matches, water tablets, emergency whistle Adding 10 more aspirin and a little more duct tape.
My Dogs Pack:
-rain cover for him
-pack cover
-chuck it travel bed
-ruff wear dog boot
-2 6ft leads, 1 on him, 1 back up Just taking one and gonna use the parachute cord as back up.
- 2 32oz. Nalgene bottles Switched to 2 large smart water bottles.
-2 portable food/ water bowls Just taking one bowl now.
- sea to summit insect shield
-odor resistant bags for food
Our Food:
we are stopping at Neels Gap and I'm giving us 6 days to get there. Have decided that the trip to Neels gap to re supply is 4-5 days. Carrying enough for 5 days.
His---
- 1 packet of wet food per day/6packets 5
-2 cups dry food per day/ 12 cups 10
-3 biskit/bones per day--18 15
- 3 pieces of jerky a day--1 pack jerky
My Food---
-Breakfast: -combination of eggs and grits/oatmeal/granola
-dehydrated eggs and bacon-3bags=6 meal with supplement 2 bags
-oatmeal and grits- 6oatmeal 3grits=6 meal supplements 4oatmeal/ 2 grits
-dehydrated milk and granola- 1pack=4 meal supplements
-Lunch:
-peanut butter and jelly on tortilla- 12oz peanut butter/8 indivitual jelly packets/5 tortillas 5packets/4 tortillas
- tuna and crackers- 2 packets of tuna/ 1 sleeve crackers 1 pack tuna/ 1/2 sleeve crackers
-Dinner:- dehydrated meal and meat
- dehydrated meals- chilli Mac, beef stroganoff, chicken Alfredo/ 3 packages=6 meals 2 packs
- pepperoni and beef jerky- 1 package of pepperoni, 1 package of jerky=6 meals
-Snacks: - gorp ( m&m, honey roasted peanuts, raisins, pretzels)
- chewy granola bars- 10 cliff and natures valley bars 8
- fruit leathers- 10 assorted fflavored 8
-cinnamon roasted almonds and walnuts
-Extra Food Stuff-- 6 tablespoons protein powder, 6 iced tea packets, 6 coffe packets, 6 emergenC, salt and pepper, 3 hot chocolate, 12 packets honey

Studlintsean
08-30-2013, 08:08
I have seen some really good deals on light weight tarp tents on whiteblaze and BPL lately. I would keep an eye on those sites and you can shave a few pounds (and get a much better tent-safer) for $100-$150. I second what others have said about the dog pack weight. I also have an American Pit Bull Terrier that I have done winter hikes with and this is what I Bring:

Rei pack
fleece
sleeping pad (cut down to dog size -I carry)
one collapsible bowl - for food and wwaters
a pack or two of gravey mix- pour on dry food and add water
Tennis ball- he's a freak and wants to play ball at camp - away from others
Dog food
blanket

make sure everything is evenly distributed in the pack.

Good luck.

Studlintsean
08-30-2013, 09:50
I have seen some really good deals on light weight tarp tents on whiteblaze and BPL lately. I would keep an eye on those sites and you can shave a few pounds (and get a much better tent-safer) for $100-$150

This would certainly be worth checking out...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=81362

Candy Korn
08-30-2013, 11:20
I did not post the updated weights with my updated list. My pack is down to 39# and my dogs pack is down to 17#. For me, this is amazing! I appreciate everyone's concern with our pack weights. I found a Eureka Tambu 2 for less than 100$ as well! I have read that Eureka is a good brand, and this tent is 4 pounds lighter than my current tent system. Is the Tambu 2 durable enough for the AT?

SipseyFreak
08-30-2013, 11:21
I'm an old dude, so I hike slowly ... and did the Springer to Neel Gap last June ... four days is plenty of time. If you tent camp near shelters, there are bear cables at shelters. None at Lance Creek, if you stay there. I passed a female humping 45 lbs last June ... she was in shape, but not having a good time. Listen to everyone's opinion and overlook the digs ... then consider everything and hike your own hike. Take notes so you can remember stuff after your hike. Mostly you'll have fun even though your feet will pain you some. Good luck!

Del Q
08-30-2013, 12:53
Stair stepper with a fully loaded pack is great prep.

Trust WB responses, go a LOT lighter, its more about what NOT to take. I have been a high as 52 pounds, insane, frigid late winter hike, last was 28 pounds with food and water. A MUCH better way to go.............bring too much and by the 2nd big UP you will be sorry for all of the extra stuff you packed.

QHShowoman
08-30-2013, 13:11
If you can splurge for an extra $50, REI Outlet has a Big Agnes Fairview 1 on sale for $150. It weighs a little less than the Eureka and I think you'll be happier with it.

lostagain
08-30-2013, 14:44
You're on the way! But, I'm confused about a few things.

First, you really, really, really won't need the bear spray. You have a DOG with you. Black bears are opportunistic when it comes to food and will not enter a camp where they can't smell food that's been cooked, or where there is a dog. In addition to that, Duke is not going to idly stand by while you get out your spray and prepare to use it. The recommended distance for effectiveness is 16 - 25 feet. Trust me, Duke will warn you waaaay ahead of time of anything he feels is potentially dangerous and that includes other hikers. Seriously...leave it home. You will not need it. You will need to keep a tight control of Duke. your best bear deterent is Duke.

Second, your cook setup has me confused. You say you've got a Jetboil stove and a GSP (did you mean GSI?) cookset. Although I suppose you can make the stove work with any cook pot, you absolutley should NOT use a windscreen with a canister. It will overheat the canister itself and that could be dangerous. Unless the windscreen was the plastic one the JB Helios uses. That one at least has some spacing top and bottom to allow for heat venting. But again, the stoves were designed to work with the accompanying pot which has a heat exchanger on the bottom that acts as its own windscreen. If it isn't the Jetboil one, then I strongly recommend you leave that at home too.

Third, I'm confused as to why you have both bug spray AND a bug suit (I'm presuming it's the suit and not one of the bug nets). If you have one, you don't really need the other. Unless you're talking about the head net. In that case, carry on. I'm not sure you'll still need either one in September, but better safe than sorry.

I didn't look closely at your FAK (First Aid Kit), but now that I do: remove: 1 gauze pad (2x6), Ibuprofen, 1 sting relief pad, 1 alcohol pad. If you have aspirin,you won't need Ibuprofen. I would replace bandaids with superglue, and the Ibuprofen with 4x2 tabs of benedryl. Superglue will close minor cuts and benedryl will not only help with allergies, but with anaphelatic shock in the case of a severe allergy you don't know you have. Add a small piece of moleskin for blisters if they develop. (2x2" will be fine) Also add 2 burn pads or burn cream. What I learned in survival school ws that CSSBB were the primary issues with trekking through the woods. What's CSSBB? Cuts, Scrapes, Scratches, Blisters, and Burns. These are the most common medical problems you'll encounter. Antibiotic ointment/cream/liquid is enough for scrapes and scratches. For cuts, if it's not too deep, superglue it. If it bleeds, blot it, antibitoic it and superglue it. Blisters and burns can be covered by burn cream (this also works for scrapes as that's what a scrape is) and moleskin to cover it.

One last thing, although it doesn't weigh a lot, you should consider that if you take Campsuds, you won't need the hand sanitizer and vice versa. You can use the HS to wash your pot with sans water as it's full of alcohol (which is why you can use it as a firestarter).

You're doing good in what you've considered. One other thing to think of is if you weigh some of the absolutely NON-essential items (go on REI.com and look at what they consider the 10 essentials. It's a pretty good list. You'll find it under the Learn tab. look closely adn you'll see a link to over 350 articles on various things.), then, you can take enough money with you to mail them home once you get to a resupply or town. Or, you could just become a trail angel and gift it to someone who does need whatever it is. :)

Candy Korn
08-30-2013, 15:27
The bear spray.....more people have said that I don't need it than the people that have said I do. I get that my dog can and will defend me against a bear and other dangerous things on the trail. I would still feel safer with it than without it.
Yes I have a jet boil. I will leave the wind screen at home too! It could be a GSI cook set, it was a friends that had used it a few times before me and the logo is gone. Just carrying the 1 pot and a cup from that, not the full 5 piece set.
I have bug spray and a net that covers my head.
First aid kit is for both me and my dog. I will add Benadryl as well. I have a dog medical spray that I think is basically super glue that I was going to take as well 1oz bottle. This may be a silly question, but is there a specific super glue to use that works good and is not toxic?
I like having the quickness of the hand sanitizer 1oz bottle but it will dry me out after two days so I take the small size camp suds to wash with at camp.
I think that clears up the parts you had confusion about!

DLP
08-30-2013, 17:06
Two requests: 1. Can you clarify "fleece packed"? Do you have a warm hat?
2. After you have hiked the 100 miles can you check back and tell us how your pack changed? What worked for you? What you will never carry again? Something that you wished you had? I'd love to hear.

I have been training here in Florida since mid March and doing 2-3 nights on the longest trails I can find here that also offer primitive campsites. If you have been out for 2-3 nights, I'm thinking, maybe everything you carry works for you? My sister and I carry very different things. She carries about 10 lbs more stuff than I, but she LOVES her stuff and it works for her.

I threw away underpants and tent poles first dumpster I came to. Threw more things away in the next trash can I came to.

It is said that people pack their fears... And I also carry a SPOT and a bear canister. I don't carry bear spray because I fear that I will spray myself. All of my stuff (with the bear can, and minus food and water) adds up to about 14 lbs. I'd say that looking at your posts... you have a fear of being chair-less, since you are willing to lug the bear can in order to have something to sit on. :)

I have a terrible, terrible fear of blisters. Some of our fears are irrational, and some are very rational. I had terrible, terrible blisters after my first 100 miles - for the first time ever! Like you, I had gone on many over night trips or day hikes of 20 miles and NEVER got a blister. This is me, but for 6 days, I'd take about 36 ibuprofen. And two rolls of Nexcare tape (my foot/blister tape of choice). I also take 6 pairs of very thin socks (1 oz each) and a second pair of Super Feet (one pair in my shoes, one pair drying).

I fear a backpack that weighs more than 20 lbs. But rather than project my fears all over you... just check back and let us know what you will carry to the ends of the earth and the stuff that you won't carry one more step! :)

PS... I agree with everybody else. In theory, I (or my dog) can carry 1/4 to 1/3 of my weight. But the reality of doing so, is something else.
It is kind of like sleeping bag temps. You probably won't DIE in a bag rated 20 degrees. But you may not sleep well or be comfortable. You may be just on the verge of being safe. You and your dog may not DIE carrying that weight, but you/dog may be at risk for injuries carrying 1/4 or 1/3 your weight. Carrying 1/5th or 1/10th your weight is SOOOO much comfortable - at least while walking. But not as comfortable while sitting, perhaps.

DLP
08-30-2013, 17:19
My dog can and will defend me against a bear and other dangerous things on the trail. If your dog is off leash and encounters a bear... it is possible your dog will come running back to you with the bear following it. Rather than protecting you, your dog may aggravate a bear and bring it to you! With no dog, you probably would mostly never encounter a bear.

But seeing how you are going out in Feb, you probably will have no bear encounters dog or no dog.

Good video on bear safety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs--kv_iGeA

moldy
08-30-2013, 20:07
This first trip on the trail will be a real eye opener for you. You have shaved some weight from your pack and that will help. You have done your homework and asked a bunch of questions and taken some advice. This is all good and you have done better than most new hikers. Your next section will be so different. Your pack will be quite a bit lighter. Your state of exhaustion at the end of each day will be much less and you will be far happier. The truth is that you still have about 20 pounds of stuff that you don’t need and won’t even use. We all wish that we could impart this to you now but it will be one of those things you will have to learn on your own.

Blissful
08-30-2013, 20:21
I would definitely want to get some other gear for a long distance hike. Much of the main gear you list is too heavy or won't last a long distance trek or bad weather. And misery out there will send you home quicker than anything. 110 miles in the GA mountains lugging all this will indeed be misery. I would perhaps do shorter miles over a long weekend with the gear you have, then begin to change out as finances allow. But for sure you must get another tent. The one you have will leak in the first major rain.

Trailweaver
08-31-2013, 02:51
Keep working on "weeding out" things you don't need. Your pack still needs to lighten up. Trust us, you are going to suffer on those uphills with a heavy pack.

This is a little thing, but I mention it because it happened to me: I used to use the waterproof matches. I say "use" but "take" is more accurate. When I tried to "use" them they would break when I tried to strike them or blow out before I could light my stove. I had enough of that quickly. Take a lighter. I take two (in case of a loss or failure). Been a lot happier with the results there.

Also - maybe think about a liner for your sleeping bag to add warmth. It is going to be colder than you think in the mountains, and since you are coming from FL, I don't think you realize this. Don't recommend Feb. because you may well be hiking in a lot of snow (poor doggie!) and temps at night could be in the teens. Been there, done that, went home early with mild frostbite.

Wish you (and you little dog too) a safe, wonderful trip! ;-)

DLP
08-31-2013, 11:39
There is a woman in CA with a YouTube Channel who carries about 40 lbs (including a bear can and SPOT) for 50 to 200+ miles and 2-3 weeks at a time and seems to enjoy it just fine. http://www.youtube.com/user/LandmarkAdventures/videos

I'd be crying after 10 mins carrying 39 lbs and crippled after a couple of hours. But we are all different. She's in her 30's and 5'8". Me, I'm in my 50's and might be 5'1.5" on a good day... in the morning.

Her Desolation Wilderness and Tahoe to Yosemite videos are entertaining. Her 2 person tent review totally reminds me of my sister as she describes what she needs/wants in a tent. Me... I carry a tarp with some bug net sewn on it.

Butterfly58
08-31-2013, 12:32
I read somewhere, (probably here on whiteblaze) that you can be comfortable while you hike or comfortable while you camp. Which one do you prefer? Because it might not be possible to have both, especially at first. You decide.

lostagain
08-31-2013, 15:55
The bear spray.....more people have said that I don't need it than the people that have said I do. I get that my dog can and will defend me against a bear and other dangerous things on the trail. I would still feel safer with it than without it.
Yes I have a jet boil. I will leave the wind screen at home too! It could be a GSI cook set, it was a friends that had used it a few times before me and the logo is gone. Just carrying the 1 pot and a cup from that, not the full 5 piece set.
I have bug spray and a net that covers my head.
First aid kit is for both me and my dog. I will add Benadryl as well. I have a dog medical spray that I think is basically super glue that I was going to take as well 1oz bottle. This may be a silly question, but is there a specific super glue to use that works good and is not toxic?
I like having the quickness of the hand sanitizer 1oz bottle but it will dry me out after two days so I take the small size camp suds to wash with at camp.
I think that clears up the parts you had confusion about!

Yes it does clear up my confusion. As for the bear spray, if it gives you peace of mind, take it. Something I forgot to mention is that you'll want to go to Walmart and get a spray bottle of Sawyer's Permathrin to spray on your clothes and bugnet. This will keep the bugs off completely.

Superglue is non toxic so any brand will be OK.

I agree also with those who suggested a long weekend of hiking farther north so that you can get a feel for how well what you have is going to work. Also, since no-one mentioned it, Eureka is indeed a good brand, they just tend to be on the heavier side. Ebay, Amazon and Craigslist can be your friend, and if you PM me with you remail I can send you some links to some of the lightweight gear makers. A warning though...all this lightweight stuff can cost $$$, so son't worry about going super light for now. And since only a couple have mentioned this, I agree that you shouldn't get rid of anything you have. See what works for you and what doesn't before investing in anything else. The worst mistake you can make is to start getting gear because you think you'll need it, or it's much lighter than something you already have. If you haven't already read it, there's a great post by Sgt. Rock on here about gearing up and hiking for newbies. Although it's a bit out of date as far as gear goes, it still has some great suggestions as well as advice on what to take and where to get it from.

You're going to be OK for this trip, and you're pack will be lighter than you think once you get going.

Candy Korn
09-02-2013, 13:43
I would like to clear up that I am planning this hike for the last week of September. NOT February. I know I'm not ready for that with what I have.
So I purchased the Eureka tent! This takes another 6# off my pack weight! (My ozark trail tent was very heavy and did not come with a rain fly, so I was using a tarp, which added to the already heavy weight) I am now at a very comfortable 33#. This is a 10# weight difference from when I posted this thread. I am so thankful for all the advice!
I have also been experimenting with more nutritious foods foods my dog. He will eat anything I give him. I am switching out his wet food and replacing them with gravy packets, can't remember who gave this advice, but it is great! I have noticed that the better dog food recommends feeding them less of it, which means less weight per serving! I'm going with 1 and 1/2 what they say for serving size to give him the extra energy he needs and it seems to be doing good. I think I ,at post in the dog specific forum about his food and making sure he has enough.
I just want to say again how thankful I am for everyone's advice. Everyone's concerns about me and my dogs pack weights have been heart warming! So, thanks again :)

DLP
09-03-2013, 11:52
Woo hooo and congrats on the work you did to reduce pack weight.

Have a great trip and report back and let us know how it went!

Denise

fins1838
09-03-2013, 14:39
Go Baltimore Bombers!

lostagain
09-04-2013, 09:51
:banana Good job! One thing I forgot to mention about the Permathrin is that if you use it, you have to really soak your gear and let it air dry. It probably won't help with mosquitoes, but will definitely kill ticks and other pests. Good walking, safe journey, and leave a trip report when you get back!

MuddyWaters
09-04-2013, 21:39
not too bad.
Way to go.
Now go have fun!