PDA

View Full Version : Beer can stove fuel question

boulder06
08-29-2013, 12:58
Haven't used my beer can alcohol stove in a very long time.
When I hiked in '06 I was buying Heat, the gasoline additive, at convenience stores. The yellow bottle, not the red.

Headed back to the trail this weekend for a 3 week hike.

Is Heat still available? Didn't see it at my 7-11.
What other brands are out there and easily available that folks are using these days?

thanks,
boulder

Duderino
09-06-2013, 12:15
I've seen HEET at Walmart,never used it but I got some Crown Fuel at REI and it works well. A bit better than isopropyl Alcohol

treesloth
09-06-2013, 12:47
Haven't used my beer can alcohol stove in a very long time.
When I hiked in '06 I was buying Heat, the gasoline additive, at convenience stores. The yellow bottle, not the red.

Headed back to the trail this weekend for a 3 week hike.

Is Heat still available? Didn't see it at my 7-11.
What other brands are out there and easily available that folks are using these days?

thanks,
boulder

Yellow bottle heet is widely available. There is guaranteed to be some in your local auto parts store, for starters.

Another Kevin
09-06-2013, 13:10
Heet is indeed widely available, although my auto parts place here doesn't usually stock it in warm weather. I use S-L-X denatured alcohol from Home Depot.

cphobes
09-09-2013, 08:07
I've seen HEET at Walmart,never used it but I got some Crown Fuel at REI and it works well. A bit better than isopropyl Alcohol

I've also tried the alcohol stove fuel from REI, a bit pricey but seems to work very well in my alcohol stoves. It also doesn't smell like the SLX from the hardware store. I do a lot of testing indoors and the SLX stunk up the basement.

-Cphobes

VTATHiker
09-09-2013, 08:20
Last year I had trouble finding in the middle and southern states on my southbound hike. Sometimes I would check 2 or 3 gas stations, a Walmart and even an Advance Auto and still not find it. There was always an abundance of the red bottle though, and I used it once in a pinch. Never again! Took a month to get all the soot off my cooking gear. Since it was post-nobo season I assumed the stores ran out of stock and were waiting until the colder months to reload.