PDA

View Full Version : Beer can stove fuel question

boulder06
08-29-2013, 13:10
Haven't used my beer can alcohol stove in a very long time.
When I hiked in '06 I was buying Heat, the gasoline additive, at convenience stores. The yellow bottle, not the red.

Headed back to the trail this weekend for a 3 week hike.

Is Heat still available? Didn't see it at my 7-11.
What other brands are out there and easily available that folks are using these days?

thanks,

boulder '06

greentick
08-29-2013, 15:29
I just pick up a quart of denatured alcohol in the paint section of wally-world

Drybones
08-29-2013, 15:34
Heet is readily available, and easier to find than alcohol.

SipseyFreak
08-29-2013, 15:37
Almost any store that sells paints or paint supplies will have denatured alcohol ... always works for me.

BuckeyeBill
08-29-2013, 17:12
You can always find heat at any good auto parts store. I am guessing that your local 7-11 didn't have any, is because it is a seasonal item for them i/e/ winter. Check Auto Zone or some place like it.

Theosus
08-30-2013, 19:57
My Walmart has Heet year round, and this is south Carolina...

Denatured alcohol works just as well, it almost feels like it burns hotter. I use an old flip top lavender bath soap squirt bottle for my fuel bottle. It holds a lot, and it's the only flip top bottle I've found that absolutely doesn't leak when closed.

LIhikers
09-01-2013, 23:26
Haven't used my beer can alcohol stove in a very long time.
When I hiked in '06 I was buying Heat, the gasoline additive, at convenience stores. The yellow bottle, not the red.

Headed back to the trail this weekend for a 3 week hike.

Is Heat still available? Didn't see it at my 7-11.
What other brands are out there and easily available that folks are using these days?

thanks,

boulder '06

The 7-11s near me have their own brand of gas line antifreeze. I have no idea if it will work or not as I've never read the bottle, nor tried it.

atraildreamer
09-02-2013, 10:56
The 7-11s near me have their own brand of gas line antifreeze. I have no idea if it will work or not as I've never read the bottle, nor tried it.

Read the label on the bottle. If it says "Methanol", it is basically the same as Heet Yellow. Methanol generates 10,700 BTU/Lb.

Avoid dry gas that says "Iso-Propanol" (eg: Heet Red). Although it delivers 12,960 BTU/LB, It will burn dirty and mess up your cook gear. :mad:

Denatured alcohol, available in quarts, half-gallons and full gallons, is a good alternative to methanol-based dry gas. It burns clean and delivers 12,500 BTU/LB. Probably the best choice $$$ wise. :)

Pure ethanol delivers 11,570 BTU/LB. Unless you have access to a chemistry lab, you'll have to buy Everclear at the package store. Best used by pouring into a shot glass instead of a stove. :rolleyes:

I posted this article at WB a while back:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?19616-Stove-Efficiency&highlight=

A well-designed beer (or soda can) stove, under the best conditions, is only about 55% efficient. Plan to take extra fuel to account for varying conditions. :-?

Unless your trail name is "Death Wish",

NEVER USE GASOLINE IN A SODA CAN STOVE! :eek:

Theosus
09-02-2013, 12:31
Pure ethanol delivers 11,570 BTU/LB. Unless you have access to a chemistry lab, you'll have to buy Everclear at the package store. Best used by pouring into a shot glass instead of a stove. :rolleyes:

Well it IS the AT... you might be able to find everclear made locally in the woods....you dont need a chemistry lab, just a still.
Denatured alcohol is basically the same thing, ethanol with enough methanol added so you can't drink it without dying. They also call it methylated spirits.
Anything above about 120 proof will burn steadily, with higher proofs burning better. You could get by on cheaper 150 proof rum than Everclear. Imagine the shocks in the shelter when you squirt some into your alcohol stove, then some into your mouth... you just need one of those mini-cokes they sell now.

gollwoods
09-02-2013, 18:36
dollar general has high % alcohol like 90% I think I have not tried it but it should work.

da fungo
09-02-2013, 20:26
Last time I priced denatured alcohol at WalMart, it was $15 a gallon, or 12.w cents an ounce. Yellow Heet worked out to about 16.7 cents an ounce in a 4 pack.So, while denatured alcohol may be marginally cheaper, you've got to buy ( and use) an awful lot of it to realize that savings.

Theosus
09-05-2013, 19:52
dollar general has high % alcohol like 90% I think I have not tried it but it should work.

Is it 90% isopropyl? I would try that at home first. Someone brought some plain old rubbing alcohol on one of our newbie trips. It burned okay in the cat stove, but would go out when she put the cup on. Add to that she only had six ragged holes that looked like she gouged them out with a dull screwdriver... But thats why its a newbie trip. Live and learn.