PDA

View Full Version : Does AMC Huts sell food to hikers passing through?

Jordan23
08-29-2013, 16:36
Hey Guys,
Do the AMC Huts in the White mountains sell food to hikers passing by? meaning not staying overnight?

-Jordan

Tom Murphy
08-29-2013, 16:40
Yes, but they do not promise there will be food available.

So once that lunchtimenhtime batch of bread and/or soup is gone...NO FOOD FOR YOU !

jbwood5
08-29-2013, 16:41
Hey Guys,
Do the AMC Huts in the White mountains sell food to hikers passing by? meaning not staying overnight?

-Jordan

It depends on time of the day and whether or not there is any left over. Usually you can buy soup and a few snacks like a Hershey bar or a Cliff bar (about $2-$3). I hear that sometimes they give breakfast leftovers (if there is any) to thru hikers at no cost. They have to pack out any uneaten food so that make sense.

joshuasdad
08-29-2013, 16:55
I recently stopped at Madison hut and was able to purchase pumpkin/squash soup for $2 and lemonade (or tea/coffee) for $1.

fredmugs
08-29-2013, 17:09
I got breakfast leavings once or twice on my section hikes. Roll into one around 9 or so when they are cleaning up. Just go in and ask for water and you might get lucky.

FarmerChef
08-29-2013, 17:11
I was just up there a couple weeks ago and had no problem getting food at all times of day up until late afternoon. That is to say, every time I tried they had soup available, not always bread, but definitely soup. If you get there within an hour or two after breakfast there is always leftover oatmeal. The good stuff may be gone by them but sometimes you can snag the occasional strip of bacon or possibly a pancake or two.

moldy
08-29-2013, 17:55
No they don't sell food in the traditional sense. They are not a store. The sometimes sell pre cooked leftovers headed for the trash.

kayak karl
08-29-2013, 20:11
i bought a piece of pie at one for $2 at about 3pm and a candybar ?? forgot what kind. they told me i could not do work for stay, i didn't ask and wasn't planning to.

Rain Man
08-29-2013, 21:20
Last year I got soup, bread, brownies, and lemonade at every one I stopped at mid-day. Was happy to pay $1 for each. The lemonade never saw more than a lemon passed over it, however. Weak as all git-out! Still, I paid and drank several.

Rain:sunMan

Dogwood
08-29-2013, 21:56
Almost everything is made from scratch. Often in the Fall there is soup and bread(usually pretty good). Cookies, maybe cake/pie, Cliff Bars, chocolate bars, potato chips, other snacks, etc are possible. I wouldn't count on meals although you may get them with a WFS or if there are leftovers. Like Moldy said they don't sell food in the traditional sense. Coffee, tea, lemonade, hot chocolate. I've had some phenomenal meals when doing WFS though! Even when food is available these are only supplements to you trail food rather than resupply locations.