PDA

View Full Version : Why a wood stove may not be for me

Tuckahoe
08-29-2013, 19:18
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97653-Stove-Project

So if you followed the thread above, I set out about a week and a half ago to build a wood burning stove; or more accurately a multi-fuel stove. For some reason I really caught a DIY bug and watched a few too many Youtube videos of folks and their stoves.

I think what attracted me is the concept of a backpacking stove that could burn wood, alcohol and esbit, that was lighter that something like my Snow Peak and fuel canister, and then nested in my cook pot.

Now that I have had a week with the wood burner I have come to the conclusion that the wood burner may not be for me. Its neat, and its a sound idea for those that make them, like them and use them.

But for me there was too much fiddle factor. Had to gather fuel, build and light fire and tend to the fire (well duh silly its a wood fire). Fuel was consumed quickly without any real build up of coals, which again means constant feeding. I regularly cook on a hearth, but historic cooking and a wood burning stove are not the same and I should never have thought they would be similar.

I was alright with the 10 minutes, but you're still fiddling with the stove

A lot of folks are offended by the soot build up, but I dont really find that bothersome. My Imusa pot certainly looks like a real backwoods cook pot.

But what i really have to admit is that I really enjoy using my canister stove. It may be silly, but i associate backpacking with the hiss of a backpacking stove. For some reason as i was tinkering with the wood stove it didnt feel right. Maybe god is about to punish me for working with cold metal.

Rasty
08-29-2013, 19:48
For me the wood was really only as a emergency backup when I bought a Trail Designs Ti-Tri Fissure Stove. So far I have only used alcohol and esbit. The esbit came in real handy last month when I did an overnight on Garcia Mountain in NH.

Tuckahoe
08-29-2013, 20:00
One result of the project is that I have paid more attention to alcohol stoves. I made my first one Wednesday, out of a soda can I dug out of the trash, and with only a pocket knife and scissors.

I know that i will probably tinker with these a lot more because the last couple days biking to work, I have noticed each soda and beer can on the shoulder and said to myself that a stove could be made from that can.

Game Warden
08-29-2013, 20:02
Colin Fletcher, in his book The Complete Walker, commented on the cheery hiss of the fuel stove. I've used both hobo stoves and a variety of gas stoves. My conclusion: fire is a bitch goddess, even in a stove. Fire demands constant sustenance, and drives away the night and its wonders. Go with the gas.

Another Kevin
08-29-2013, 20:24
I've come to associate backpacking with the gentle gurgle of an alcohol stove.

Old Hiker
08-29-2013, 20:45
I've come to associate backpacking with the gentle gurgle of an alcohol stove.

Shouldn't that be the gentle gurgle of an alcohol bottle?

Slo-go'en
08-29-2013, 21:02
I was glad to have a wood stove (ZIP) during a month long trip into the Canadian Rockies, where getting traditional fuel wasn't easy. But other wise, the fiddle factor is a major disadvantage. That's fine sometimes, but when your cold and wet and just want something hot to drink NOW, it's not so great.

Another Kevin
08-29-2013, 21:20
Shouldn't that be the gentle gurgle of an alcohol bottle?

My alcohol stove gurgles as the alcohol boils inside, and the penny makes kind of a rattling sound. It's become a comforting sound - it means that hot food is on the way.

1azarus
08-29-2013, 22:28
My alcohol stove gurgles as the alcohol boils inside, and the penny makes kind of a rattling sound. It's become a comforting sound - it means that hot food is on the way.

and in your case, it is damn good hot food.

zelph
08-29-2013, 22:59
Only a few are good at using wood. Canisters are easy and have a sweet sound to them:eek:

Alcohol stoves rule!:D

Wood is good!!!!:banana One load of wood boils 2 cups easy with the right stove and dry fuel that is vertical stacked and top lit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr10YjUbLYI

Nooga
08-30-2013, 09:28
I have considered wood stoves several times, but the soot is the turn off for me, not to mention the simplicity of alcohol or canister.

Del Q
08-30-2013, 13:02
Off topic buy I went from an alcohol stove to esbit to no cook mode.............much happier not cooking at all. Spam single serving is new dinner favorite on pita bread with "requisitioned" mustard packets. If someone has a fire going, cook the Spam.

Bought a titanium wood stove a few years ago and never used it................like the idea but have been so much happier just not cooking. Eat heartily in town.

JAK
08-30-2013, 14:03
Just want to say pyromania is all that separates us from the lower life forms.
Keep the faith.

QiWiz
08-30-2013, 15:23
Just want to say pyromania is all that separates us from the lower life forms.
Keep the faith.

LOL
Wood fire is good for some, but not for everyone
Fiddle factor can be reduced by using a stove with an opening that lets you gradually feed in longer twigs and sticks as they burn
AND/OR a stove that can boil your water with one load of twigs

Some stoves can do both (hint, hint) and still be extremely light and take up almost no no room in your pack (hint, hint)

Another Kevin
08-30-2013, 16:04
Fiddle factor can be reduced by using a stove with an opening that lets you gradually feed in longer twigs and sticks as they burn

Some stoves can do both (hint, hint) and still be extremely light and take up almost no no room in your pack (hint, hint)

OK, I get the hint. If I used a wood stove, it would be one of yours. (I'm not yet sold on the wood-stove thing. But you live and learn.)

Tuckahoe
08-30-2013, 19:39
LOL
Wood fire is good for some, but not for everyone

Not much of a consolation prize for you, but I do like your stoves and it was one of the reasons I tinkered with the stove I made.

I may be wrong, but what I concluded was that the fuel was consumed too fast. It was constant feeding to get the keep the heat up and I couldnt stop feeding.

Just Bill
08-30-2013, 21:12
I'm a big fan of the Caldera ti-tri. It offers a solid compromise for me when traveling North of the Mason Dixon where firewood doesn't require scraping through an inch of humid rotten wood. When moving fast, I find my self back with the gas (both from the trots and the stove). When going a bit more casually though- I like to have a fire at night. My cone cooks my dinner with wood, then the wood gets built up into the nights entertainment. In the morning, when it's raining, or I'm lazy- the Esbit gets fired up. I like the system because it goes hand in hand. Feeling lazy? I scrape a little Esbit off a tab and use it to start a fire. A half dozen tabs covers breakfast, occasional tea, and dinner for a weekend. If I'm a bit more frugal I can make do on one tab per day solo. (Although I always carry two extra)

When it's all said and done- a campfire is the most pleasant part of my evenings, so the cone makes the most sense overall for me. It's the lightest system overall- and hey- what's the rush. Stop and smell the fire. ;)