PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian

blue indian
08-29-2013, 22:39
Howdy good people

Im interested in doing a loop out of Standing Indian. I found one other post on WB about it but I couldn’t get all my questions answered there. Was hoping someone could help me out

Im looking to take Kimsey Creek up to the AT and stay at Carter gap (which sounds likes its about halfway..?) unless I decide to do 2 nights. Then the AT to Long Branch back to my car at the SI campgrounds. From what I have read it looks to be about 24 miles. Is this correct?

I was also hoping to get a confirmation on how many miles I would be on each trail as well. This is what Ive found…

- Kimsey Creek = 3.7 mi

- AT = 18.1 mi

- Long Branch = 2.2 mi

Ive never needed a map for the AT, except for elevation changes, but would I need one since this includes other trails? Are they well marked? I doubt I would but have read an account in which someone got mixed up with the other trails..

If anyone knows a good resource or any other suggestions for this loop let me know. Thanks as always WB!

Train Wreck
08-29-2013, 23:16
I'm a map nut, anyway, but this really is a good one to have if you're hiking in the area. The trail junctions are well marked, but you might want to get ths map anyway: http://www.nationalforeststore.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NFS&Product_Code=NC-13&Category_Code=NC
It's excellent! There are other easily accessible points of interest in the Standing Indian Basin area, including 3 short hikes (under 1 mile one way) off Forest Service Roads, and many other points of interest.
The hike you described is one of the classic loops. The map shows several other options. Worth the $4 bucks :)

Kerosene
08-29-2013, 23:23
The junctions with these trails are well marked. The Kimsey Creek Trail heads to the left ("west") as you're looking at Standing Indian. I can't recall the exact Long Branch location, but I recall passing it. I've done the Kimsey Creek and AT sections, but not Long Branch. I found the AT section to be much easier than it was described (my newbie 20-year old out-of-shape daughter covered it just fine), and the descent of the Kimsey Creek Trail late in the day was magical with the April sun shining behind me as I descended. The KC Trail can be a bit wet at times (unlikely in September), and can be overgrown, but it was easy to follow in 2004 up until I reached the outskirts of the Standing Indian Campground.

Nooga
08-30-2013, 09:26
This is a great 2 or 3 day loop. I have not tried the Long Branch trail. I usually stay on the AT until Rock Gap and then just walk back the road to the Standing Indian Campground to the car.

joshuasdad
08-30-2013, 09:33
See this post by Ron Haven.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?42747-Kimsey-Creek-Trail-Map&highlight=kimsey

It can be a bit difficult to find the trail from the campground. This should help.

blue indian
08-30-2013, 17:54
I'm a map nut, anyway, but this really is a good one to have if you're hiking in the area. The trail junctions are well marked, but you might want to get ths map anyway: http://www.nationalforeststore.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NFS&Product_Code=NC-13&Category_Code=NC
It's excellent! There are other easily accessible points of interest in the Standing Indian Basin area, including 3 short hikes (under 1 mile one way) off Forest Service Roads, and many other points of interest.
The hike you described is one of the classic loops. The map shows several other options. Worth the $4 bucks :)

I like maps too. Definitely work $4. Thanks!

blue indian
08-30-2013, 17:56
See this post by Ron Haven.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?42747-Kimsey-Creek-Trail-Map&highlight=kimsey

It can be a bit difficult to find the trail from the campground. This should help.

That link wasnt working for me. Ill try it again later. Thanks!

daddytwosticks
09-01-2013, 19:38
The Long Branch Trail as it intersects with the AT is well marked and leads right down to the Information kiosk on the FS road at SI campground. The Kimsey Creek Trail can be a bit tricky as it winds around the campground. They recently put up some better signage, but yahoos love to tear them down. The first time I hiked it I was very confused w/o proper signage. The KC trail can be wet year round due to the many little "creeklets" flowing into the main creek. Your shoes will get wet. This is one of my favorite hikes to take, spending the night at Carter Gap shelter. :)

blue indian
09-03-2013, 16:31
The Long Branch Trail as it intersects with the AT is well marked and leads right down to the Information kiosk on the FS road at SI campground. The Kimsey Creek Trail can be a bit tricky as it winds around the campground. They recently put up some better signage, but yahoos love to tear them down. The first time I hiked it I was very confused w/o proper signage. The KC trail can be wet year round due to the many little "creeklets" flowing into the main creek. Your shoes will get wet. This is one of my favorite hikes to take, spending the night at Carter Gap shelter. :)

I was waiting for you to chime in daddytwosticks! You seem well versed with southeast. You gave me some advice for my last trip from stecoah gap to NOC. Thanks for the tips.

Would you suggest starting with Long Branch or Kimsey Creek?
Or a different variation of trails?

dmax
09-03-2013, 17:02
I've always parked at the backcountry packing area. The Long Branch Trail starts right there. I take that up to the AT. Depending upon what time the hike starts, either camp before or after Albert Mt. Night 2 on Standing Indian. Hike out by the Lower Ridge Trail. ... What ever you decide, enjoy!

dmax
09-03-2013, 17:04
I think starting at Long Branch is easier.

flemdawg1
09-03-2013, 17:56
Howdy good people

Im interested in doing a loop out of Standing Indian. I found one other post on WB about it but I couldn’t get all my questions answered there. Was hoping someone could help me out

Im looking to take Kimsey Creek up to the AT and stay at Carter gap (which sounds likes its about halfway..?) unless I decide to do 2 nights. Then the AT to Long Branch back to my car at the SI campgrounds. From what I have read it looks to be about 24 miles. Is this correct?

I was also hoping to get a confirmation on how many miles I would be on each trail as well. This is what Ive found…

- Kimsey Creek = 3.7 mi

- AT = 18.1 mi

- Long Branch = 2.2 mi

Ive never needed a map for the AT, except for elevation changes, but would I need one since this includes other trails? Are they well marked? I doubt I would but have read an account in which someone got mixed up with the other trails..

If anyone knows a good resource or any other suggestions for this loop let me know. Thanks as always WB!

I did the loop 2 years ago with my kids (girls 11, 7, 5 at the time). We parked at the kiosk called the Backcountry Information Center, and walked thru the campground to the Kimsey Creek Trail (south end thru the group campsites) we did it in 3 nights. At Glassmine Gap, I distinctly remember that there wasn't a sign for the Long Branch Trail (if you're Nobo, turn left) and was grilled for most of the hike back down by my wife (Are you SURE this is the right way?).

daddytwosticks
09-04-2013, 07:27
I was waiting for you to chime in daddytwosticks! You seem well versed with southeast. You gave me some advice for my last trip from stecoah gap to NOC. Thanks for the tips.

Would you suggest starting with Long Branch or Kimsey Creek?
Or a different variation of trails?
If you do it clockwise (starting at Long Branch Trail), you will have an easier climb up Albert and get your shoes wet on the last day (Kimsey Creek Trail). Kerosene makes a good point...finishing up the hike down Kimsey Creek Trail will leave you with a good feeling. :)

blue indian
09-04-2013, 18:57
Good point. Looks like thats what Im gonna do. Thanks folks!

daddytwosticks
09-05-2013, 07:25
Let us know how it goes and what the conditions are. May be doing this loop in a few weeks. :)

vzett
09-08-2013, 12:49
Great discussion. I'm am hoping to do this loop with my 10yr old son starting this Saturday if the current weather forecast holds.

Slo-go'en
09-08-2013, 14:43
The KC trail can be wet year round due to the many little "creeklets" flowing into the main creek. Your shoes will get wet. This is one of my favorite hikes to take, spending the night at Carter Gap shelter. :)

I took the KC trial down from the AT once to get out of some bad weather and the lower part of the trial was under water. But that was in mid April during a rainy spring. It's not a real well maintained trail so you have to pay attention.