PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta/Athens Callout!Trail Maintenance with Walt Cook, August 27, Sat., Athens GA.

Tha Wookie
08-07-2005, 22:03
This is for everyone who with a desire to learn trail construction/maintenance techniques with Walt Cook, one of the most knowledgable trail builders alive today.

This is to annouce an August 27th (saturday), 2005, trail work day in Athens, GA. It will be on a new loop trail of the beautiful riparian Cook's Trail that is an integral natural-path component of the urban-to-rural Athens Greenway Trails System. Meet the man who has inspired and hand-built a large part of this impressive accomplishment. He is also widely noted for his long career as a Forestry professor at UGA and a major force in the building of the recently dedicated Benton Mackaye Trail.

If you are interested in coming to meet us between 8:45-9AM on Saturday 8/27 at Sandy Creek Nature Center to help complete a brand new trail and learn techniques under the guidance of Dr. Cook, please resond in this thread or email me.

I will post directions shortly. You might want to review a similar thread to this I posted recently for a past work day for general info.

Knowing how many will come helps us plan and know how many tools to bring! Thanks for volunteering! It's always a lot of fun.

Building trail is like working a Zen garden that comes alive.

SGT Rock
08-08-2005, 00:03
Thanks for the heads up Wookie, too bad I will be in Wisconsin then, but keep us updated when y'all do these please!

Tha Wookie
08-24-2005, 10:08
Hello again everyone, please check out the original post on this thread and consider joining us for several hours this Saturday in Athens, GA, for some great trail building lessons that you can apply to be a part of the new Oxbow Lake Trail!!!!

I hope to see some wber's there, and anyone else who wants to learn with the legendary Dr. Walt Cook!

Please feel free to PM me for questions, or email directly the volunteer coordinator, Carly Robinson, at [email protected] ([email protected])

See you there!:D

Footslogger
08-24-2005, 11:17
Hey Wook ...Sandy Creek is on the way out of town northbound on 441, correct ??

Turns out I'm flying to Atlanta on Friday and might be able to get out there. Have to work out some transportation issues but if I can deal with that would love to stop out and help/learn something. Can't hurt since I'm in the process of getting involved with trail maintenance out here on the CDT.

Might just see you there.

'Slogger

Tha Wookie
08-24-2005, 15:58
Hey Wook ...Sandy Creek is on the way out of town northbound on 441, correct ??

Turns out I'm flying to Atlanta on Friday and might be able to get out there. Have to work out some transportation issues but if I can deal with that would love to stop out and help/learn something. Can't hurt since I'm in the process of getting involved with trail maintenance out here on the CDT.

Might just see you there.

'Slogger
FS,

let me know if I can give you a ride in this area. It'd be great to see you again and break some new trail together!

Map to Sandy Creek Nature Center:
http://www.sandycreeknaturecenter.c.../directions.php (http://www.sandycreeknaturecenter.com/scnc/directions.php)

Map of exactly where we meet -parking available (printable pdf): http://www.sandycreeknaturecenter.com/scnc/scncmap.pdf (see you at the
YOU ARE HERE arrow!)

Footslogger
08-24-2005, 16:32
[QUOTE=Tha Wookie]FS,

let me know if I can give you a ride in this area. It'd be great to see you again and break some new trail together!

==========================================
Will do ...and from the map I can tell this is the exact place I was thinking of. BA Turtle and I use to take the kayaks out there to the lake when she was in grad school at UGA.

'Slogger

Footslogger
08-25-2005, 13:03
Looks like everything is a GO for Saturday. Looking forward to seeing everyone who can make it. Something tells me l may get the nod for having come the furthest !!

'Slogger

Tha Wookie
08-26-2005, 15:35
Is anyone else going to join us for trail maintenance tomorrow in Athens, GA?

We have about 14 people so far, and about a third of those are from this site. Thanks, Atroll and Rock for providing this useful resource.

Speak up if you plan on coming, so I can make sure we have enough tools.

I watched "Surface Water Control Techniques" last night on our VCR/TV unit. Man, I am pumped up!

See you there!!

Footslogger
08-26-2005, 19:22
Yahoo ...just landed in Atlanta and was whisked off to my daughters place. Damn ya'll have a lot of humidity here !!

See you in the morning Wook !!

'Slogger

Tha Wookie
08-26-2005, 19:47
Yahoo ...just landed in Atlanta and was whisked off to my daughters place. Damn ya'll have a lot of humidity here !!

See you in the morning Wook !!

'Slogger
What? THIS? This ain't humidity.

Ya'll been away fer I while I see.

Tha Wookie
08-31-2005, 19:44
I want to thank everyone for making the Oxbow Lake Trail work day a success. Walt Cook, project leader, said he ws very pleased with the turnout. We had more volunteers (15) than National Trails Day!

Thanks to Footslogger, his daughter, Two-speed, Catherine, and Pac-man fwho formed my crew (mostly wber's) and laid some serious sidehill trail along a beautiful fern bank! We had differrent levels of experience, and had a great time mingling and sharing thoughts and skills.

I was SO IMPRESSED that Footslogger would make during his once-in-while family trip to Atl from Wyoming. Also, Two-speed woke up early on his Saturday and drove almost 2 hours to get there!

Thanks for all your hard work and great attitudes. I never realized that buildin' em can be just as fun as hikin' em!

Please hang tight for some pictures taken by Team Footslogger!

Also, thanks to Whiteblaze for this "callout" thread and to the BMTA for providing a professional trail builder!

I'l see ya'll next time.... someone more local might have to fill in for the 'slogger!

Footslogger
08-31-2005, 22:40
Had a great time Wook. Thanks for including me and my daughter in the project. I burned a couple CD's tonight with all the shots from that day and will put one in the mail to you and one to Carly the project coordinator.

'Slogger