PDA

View Full Version : how many carry a handgun (RE: safety concerns) while hiking on the AT

opfldc
08-29-2013, 23:23
just wondering
with a valid concealed weapons license of course

BirdBrain
08-30-2013, 00:01
just wondering

Please folks, let this thread die without comment.

MuddyWaters
08-30-2013, 03:51
Ill just point out the obvious.
You dont need a concealed license, if you dont conceal it

You might want to conceal around town
No reason to in the woods.

If its concealed, its of little use to you, unless its small enough to put in pocket.

leaftye
08-30-2013, 04:08
just wondering

Just make up a number.

Hill Ape
08-30-2013, 05:25
214 people carried concealed on the appalachian trail last year

mtnkngxt
08-30-2013, 05:29
The only place I don't carry a handgun is on the AT. Sure there's been some crazies on the AT, but proportionally there's really nothing to worry about. Keep your wits about you near towns especially in southern va, and hike on.

rickb
08-30-2013, 06:24
just wondering

There is no good way of getting a good estimate because most all responsible gun owners do not want anyone to know what they have. They are like people with herpes-- you might see some indication but they sure as hell are not going to advertise the fact.

Only rarely do you see guys carrying in the open-- just 2 or 3 Trail states allow unregulated open carry (VA & NC?) and at least one prohibits open carry even if you do have a carry permit. In the northeast I suspect more people carry than most realize, but you almost never see someone carrying a handgun on their hip. For the most part, a carry permit allows one to carry concealed and gun owners know the mechanics of carrying discreetly while mainlining access to their guns.

One thing is certain, of the 5 thru hikers (yes, thru hikers) and 1 long-distance section hiker that were murdered on the AT, none had a hand gun to protect him or herself. Would a gun have even helped them? Who knows..

In general, I think that very few thru hikers carry a handgun. If you aren't a former LEO who is up to date with requirements, it is virtually impossible to be legal in all 14 states. So you question would really apply to weekenders and such.

Its a good question, though.

Fairway
08-30-2013, 06:29
My girlfriend gives me too many compliments.

Trebor66
08-30-2013, 06:50
214 people carried concealed on the appalachian trail last year

It's actually 215. I forgot to tell anyone....

Old Hiker
08-30-2013, 06:53
Did not see the straight-forward category. Apologies to the mods.

No idea - no way to know - don't care either way.

fins1838
08-30-2013, 06:55
I like turtles.

Don H
08-30-2013, 06:55
Ill just point out the obvious.
You dont need a concealed license, if you dont conceal it

You might want to conceal around town
No reason to in the woods.

If its concealed, its of little use to you, unless its small enough to put in pocket.

Some states allow open carry but if you do that in MD, NY, NJ you'll have your hike cut short.

Most of the AT states will allow you to carry with a non-resident permit. Utah issues a non-resident permit that is good (has reciprocity) with all the southern AT states and PA.

Tuckahoe
08-30-2013, 07:14
I'll be the a$$hole and point out that this is the Straight Forward forum and there is only one topic here from the OP's question, and that is whether one carries concealed or not.

Smart concealed carry is like fight club, we dont talk about fight club.

stranger
08-30-2013, 07:25
just wondering

You serious? I hope not, I'll just chalk this up as being naive

Gray Blazer
08-30-2013, 07:30
I, myself, want you to guess if I'm carrying.

A.T.Lt
08-30-2013, 07:47
As a LEO, I myself do not carry while hiking, and don't carry probably 95% of the time when off duty. Each state has its own laws and rules on carrying and use off deadly physical force and justification, as everyone saw in the Zimmermann trial recently. If you don't know these laws and aren't familiar with each jurisdictions regulations then I would recommend leaving your firearm at home. Last I checked there aren't roaming bands of criminals robbing thru hikers of there dirty sweaty underwear and socks and stealing our gourmet taken noodle dinners.

BirdBrain
08-30-2013, 08:33
Come on guys. This is an obvious attempt to start a fight on Whiteblaze. The OP is not serious. Putting on ignore. Don't care if my post gets deleted. Don't feed the jollies of this troll post. Putting thread on ignore.

R1ma
08-30-2013, 08:43
Only rarely do you see guys carrying in the open-- just 2 or 3 Trail states allow unregulated open carry (VA & NC?) and at least one prohibits open carry even if you do have a carry permit. In the northeast I suspect more people carry than most realize, but you almost never see someone carrying a handgun on their hip. For the most part, a carry permit allows one to carry concealed and gun owners know the mechanics of carrying discreetly while mainlining access to their guns.

VT is an open carry state too. And you can carry concealed in VT without a permit. Cross the border into MA, and your in a world of hurt ;)
If you make it all the way to NY, not only do you probably not have the right permit, but your gun could be illegal to carry too. In MA there are a number of firearms illegal for a store to sell, but not illegal to own, like a target shooting 22lr pistol. In NY, most those guns are illegal to carry, transport, own, etc.

moytoy
08-30-2013, 08:45

FarmerChef
08-30-2013, 08:49

Here, here...........

max patch
08-30-2013, 09:05
Come on guys. This is an obvious attempt to start a fight on Whiteblaze. The OP is not serious. Putting on ignore. Don't care if my post gets deleted. Don't feed the jollies of this troll post. Putting thread on ignore.

I disagree. The OP has only been here 3 weeks and his other posts are all hiking related. He doesn't know that the gun topic turns a bunch of you into blithering idiots and the thread eventually turns to crap and then Mr. Gator shuts everyone up.

Tuckahoe
08-30-2013, 09:14

The problem is not the OP's question. It is an honest and legit question, and it is even within the Straight Forward forum which means that the only discussion that should even be had is whether one carries concealed or not. Whether one should or should not carry or gun control or anything else was not opened up for discussion. This is why we have a straight forward forum.

moldy
08-30-2013, 09:17
Walther PK380 Pro Carry Shirt Tuck Tuckable Concealed Carry IWB Leather Gun Holster, $29 amazon

Deco
08-30-2013, 09:29
Don't want the weight of a gun.

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 09:31
during the 6 weeks i was on the trail this spring, i didnt meet anyone who owned up to carrying(although i never asked), which is hpw it should be. noone should know if you are.
the subject came up in damscus, and i only heard one hiker say they had met someone who had told him he was carrying.

Nooga
08-30-2013, 09:45
At my wife's insistence, I carried one last year from Springer to the NOC. Sent it home with a friend. Never missed it the remainder of the trail. When I flew home from Maine, I didn't have to worry about shipping the gun. My issue was keeping the gun dry, meant that I kept it in a ziplock bag in my pack. Invariably, it ended up at the bottom of my pack, where it would be of little use if needed. My other concern was how to secure the gun when I was away from my pack getting water or in town. I think there is a real liability risk of having a loaded gun and not being able to secure it.

Nooga
08-30-2013, 09:49
I forgot to mention that I have a TN carry permit. I would not have been legal in Maryland, NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH, or ME.

Turk6177
08-30-2013, 09:50
I carry a gun every day in my non-hiking life. That being said, I have never carried a gun on the AT. For me, when I hike on the AT, I surrender myself to the theory of "what happens, happens." I hike to reestablish my belief in the goodness of humanity, and I have yet to be disappointed. I hiked with a friend who did carry a gun, and it just became a hassle. One of us always had to stay near his bag so no one would steal it, etc. I am not opposed to anyone who feels the need to carry a weapon. I just personally believe that the goodness in the woods outweighs all my reasons of why I carry when I am not hiking. Believe, me, I am a pro gun guy. But for me, I have found that the AT is one of the few places I have been where I don't feel I need to carry a gun.

RED-DOG
08-30-2013, 10:05
I don't carry and i don't hike with people that carries, If i do find out that some one is carrying a hand gun around me I tell them to hike on or i will hike on, Personally I think it's stupid and an very stupid item to Carry.

vamelungeon
08-30-2013, 10:26
I carry a firearm every day, hiking or not.

Sarcasm the elf
08-30-2013, 11:48
just wondering

The straight forward answer is that the vast majority of hikers dont carry, but a good number do choose to. Many people on this site would be surprised at the number of people that do carry concealed while hiking, those that carry just know better than talk about it with people they don't trust. That said, while I am an admitted gun nut, I dont carry while i hike because i dont find it necessary or practical.

You will also find that more section hikers carry than thru hikers, mostly due to legal and logistical problems that have been mentioned in previous posts. Thru hikers have to hike through 13 states with a nonsensical web of conflicting laws, it's impractical/impossible to get permits for all of the states that the trail passes though.

Mr. Bumpy
08-30-2013, 12:04
Hiking the woods with a gun?
Me think it would take away fun
Just be aware
If anyone dare
My fight skills will scare you, Just run!

bfayer
08-30-2013, 12:11
The straight forward answer is that the vast majority of hikers dont carry, but a good number do choose to. Many people on this site would be surprised at the number of people that do carry concealed while hiking, those that carry just know better than talk about it with people they don't trust. That said, while I am an admitted gun nut, I dont carry while i hike because i dont find it necessary or practical.

You will also find that more section hikers carry than thru hikers, mostly due to legal and logistical problems that have been mentioned in previous posts. Thru hikers have to hike through 13 states with a nonsensical web of conflicting laws, it's impractical/impossible to get permits for all of the states that the trail passes though.

This is probably to most correct answer anyone will ever get to this question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Solemates
08-30-2013, 12:15

You serious? I hope not, I'll just chalk this up as being naive

These responses are hiliarious to me. I don't quite understand them, but then again I am from a different world than you guys. In my world people carry all the time and no one ever thinks anything of it. Its just part of life, like old men talking about the weather.

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 12:24
Very few! I know 100's, if not a couple 1000, of hikers. When I do carry it' s a sawed off 12 g. that is disguised as a trekking pole. But I got skills, Fightin skills. Tae kwon do, Brazilian Jujitsu, hand to hand. I've worked as an alligator wrestler. I also carry a knife that makes Rambo's look like a toothpick. I know how to use it too. Ex military. All is true except for the shotgun. Not needed and too heavy. Hmm, maybe I should saw some more off?

Drybones
08-30-2013, 12:27
I don't carry and i don't hike with people that carries, If i do find out that some one is carrying a hand gun around me I tell them to hike on or i will hike on, Personally I think it's stupid and an very stupid item to Carry.

I don't have a problem with someone carrying if I never see it, it's the cowboys with a gun strapped on their side I'd worry about. I have a permit to carry but never do, I have no safety concerns on the trail but would probably carry just because I have it if not for the weight.

Drybones
08-30-2013, 12:29
These responses are hiliarious to me. I don't quite understand them, but then again I am from a different world than you guys. In my world people carry all the time and no one ever thinks anything of it. Its just part of life, like old men talking about the weather.

Guns is kinda like dogs, people that don't know anything at all about them are freightened by them.

rickb
08-30-2013, 12:38
The actual number of people who carry is also probably lessened by the advice of Trail Organizations, and the way Law Enforcement reports the limited number of crimes on the Trail.

When section hiker Scott Lilley's body was found partially buried along the AT two years ago, the authorities were quick to tell hikers there was nothing to worry about (use normal precautions) and would not even confirm the death was a homicide until required to by statute-- the coroner in that county was required to publish cause within 6 months.

The ATC will always follow up these events with a reminder that millions use the Trail every year, and that the history of 5 thru hikers and 1 section hiker getting killed on the AT requires perspective-- as if that is what should be expected.

On the net this sentiment is reinforced by those who are male, hike during the traditional season and/or with a buddy, and have not had any problems themselves.

Its an emotional topic, which further keep most of those who carry silent. Not everyone e is as open with their choice as one of this sites more pithy members.

Bottom line, if you want to be one who does, discretion is a good way to go.

max patch
08-30-2013, 13:23
Remember Carl Rowan? What a F'ing hypocrite he turned out to be!

Nutbrown
08-30-2013, 14:02
I don't, but my husband does. Most I hike with don't.

leaftye
08-30-2013, 15:29
There is no good way of getting a good estimate because most all responsible gun owners do not want anyone to know what they have. They are like people with herpes-- you might see some indication but they sure as hell are not going to advertise the fact.

Rick gets it. That's why you can make up a number.

max patch
08-30-2013, 15:35
i didn't know that most people who carry guns have herpes. Learn something new everyday.

Traffic Jam
08-30-2013, 16:36
No, I'm still struggling with the idea of carrying pepper spray.

Sarcasm the elf
08-30-2013, 16:38
i didn't know that most people who carry guns have herpes. Learn something new everyday.

Only about one out of every five people that carry guns have herpes.

max patch
08-30-2013, 16:48
Only about one out of every five people that carry guns have herpes.

They are probably looking for the person who gave them herpes.

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 17:01
They are probably looking for the person who gave them herpes.
he wont be able to tell

A.T.Lt
08-30-2013, 17:41
He's the guy with the dirty gun

atmilkman
08-30-2013, 17:46
Rick gets it. That's why you can make up a number.

It's either 11 or 42.

Another Kevin
08-30-2013, 18:04
I carry a lot of things on the trail. Some of them are concealed. Sometimes it's none of your business what I'm carrying. Including whether or not there is a firearm among the things I'm carrying. (I guess that implies that there is no firearm among the things that I'm carrying openly.) And I'd be foolish to say more.

max patch
08-30-2013, 18:11
I carry a lot of things on the trail. Some of them are concealed. Sometimes it's none of your business what I'm carrying. Including whether or not there is a firearm among the things I'm carrying. (I guess that implies that there is no firearm among the things that I'm carrying openly.) And I'd be foolish to say more.

Assuming you carry, and are legal, why is it "foolish" to admit you are carrying?

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 18:14
Assuming you carry, and are legal, why is it "foolish" to admit you are carrying?
coupla reasons. 1- someone with a grudge could report you in a non carry state.2- someone could manage to take your gun when it was left unattended, possibly use it against you.

Tuckahoe
08-30-2013, 18:22

The simplist reason is because of reactions of folks such as RedDog. His is rather mild but there are far too many people who suffer hoplophobia and just lose it when even the discussion of firearms comes up.

My preference is to be discreet. I dont know who can keep their mouth shut and never mention or let it slip by accident. I dont want folks to treat me any different or to target me. Im not carrying to be their sheep dog.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2013, 18:36
just wondering

maybe. sometimes. once in awhile sometimes. i may or may not

Another Kevin
08-30-2013, 18:55
My preference is to be discreet. I dont know who can keep their mouth shut and never mention or let it slip by accident. I dont want folks to treat me any different or to target me. Im not carrying to be their sheep dog.

I'm not carrying to be anyone's sheepdog. Indeed.

Of course, that proposition could be satisfied by "I'm not carrying." As I said before, I'm not telling. For most of the reasons that anyone would ask, neither answer can help me and the wrong answer can hurt me.

Your signature is right. Fire + steel = power. Be it a forge, an engine, a furnace or a gun.

Lugnut
08-30-2013, 19:23
just wondering

Usually, but never mention it.

Drybones
08-30-2013, 19:27

It's only people boasting about having a gun that concerns me, they probably shouldn't have one....keep it to youself.

Rasty
08-30-2013, 19:34
No one has asked how many bullets is the proper number on the AT.

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 19:41
No one has asked how many bullets is the proper number on the AT. the correct number is 5

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 19:49
Guys, I'm just messing around. Don't take it personally anyone. How long did you think it was going to stay on topic even in this forum? Where did you think this thread was going anyhow? Guns and gun control are currently some of the hottest of the hot button topics. Read the posts and examine the content. Already, it's largely fluff.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2013, 19:49
the correct number is 5

correct. my little friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmpQqtBAVc

Theosus
08-30-2013, 20:02
I do not. If I did I would carry a revolver. No sense throwing evidence all over the woods. I have a knife, and if I have to defend myself I would rather get close and get messy. Plus, throwing a 20 dollar knife in the creek or burying it in the woods doesn't feel as bad, and no serial numbers...

Tuckahoe
08-30-2013, 20:12
I do not. If I did I would carry a revolver. No sense throwing evidence all over the woods. I have a knife, and if I have to defend myself I would rather get close and get messy. Plus, throwing a 20 dollar knife in the creek or burying it in the woods doesn't feel as bad, and no serial numbers...

Do you realize how stupid this is? You have defended yourself and are going to turn what is more than likely a clear case of self-defense into what LEOs would now likely view as a murder?

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 20:15
correct. my little friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmpQqtBAVc

you helped us determine that last year:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85736-how-many-bullets&highlight=

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 20:19
Perhaps, I got your intent incorrect? It seemed you just wanted to beat your chest in regard to your weapon of choice which seems like it is IS NOT in line with the OP's question?

Lone Wolf
08-30-2013, 20:19
you helped us determine that last year:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85736-how-many-bullets&highlight=

oh yeah:D...............

Rasty
08-30-2013, 20:21
Perhaps, I got your intent incorrect? It seemed you just wanted to beat your chest in regard to your weapon of choice which seems like it is IS NOT in line with the OP's question?

That is the contrarian in him

Hill Ape
08-30-2013, 20:26
either way, good to see hickock referenced here on whiteblaze

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 20:32
Do you realize how stupid this is? You have defended yourself and are going to turn what is more than likely a clear case of self-defense into what LEOs would now likely view as a murder?

Please help me understand how this opinion directly answers the OP's question. Seems like when posts aren't going in the direction in which you want the thread to go you label those posts as being non relevant and childish. BTW, absolutely agree with you that my post was childish but if your post here is relevant to the OP's question perhaps mine was too.

Blissful
08-30-2013, 20:33
I saw a hiker off the AT on the Bluff trail in Shenandoah with an open revolver. it is allowed in the park, though it made me a bit nervous, I have to admit. I did kind of wondered why he had it, esp in a park with families out hiking.

Slo-go'en
08-30-2013, 21:02
I saw a hiker off the AT on the Bluff trail in Shenandoah with an open revolver. it is allowed in the park, though it made me a bit nervous, I have to admit. I did kind of wondered why he had it, esp in a park with families out hiking.

You can't be too careful since there all those rabid deer running loose in the park....

Just Bill
08-30-2013, 22:24
Ideally the answer to the OP's question would be zero. People who cannot responsibly carry a gun should not. People who can responsibly carry a gun won't tell you.

In the top five questions I get asked about hiking- what kind of gun do you carry is right up there. Not do you carry- but what kind do I carry. I haven't carried a gun on a trip for over a decade. There is no good spot to keep one, they weight too much, and while you could probably buy a fairly weatherproof revolver- you can't keep them dry. Sure, a one-in-a-million event may occur where one might come in handy- but the same could be said for thousands of items. I think that most hikers, even LEO's eventually come to the conclusion that a gun is poor choice.

Southerners and folks from out west assume I am lying when I tell them I don't carry. Rural folks (who actually use guns) generally see the wisdom in not bringing one. Northerners, city dwellers, and liberals are shocked by the mention of the word gun, but many of them eventually ask if I carry a gun.

I think the OP was asking a legit question, one that many hikers ask. In my opinion there are two folks who could carry a gun-
Law, military, country, or other folks who just plain old wouldn't walk out the door without their wallet or their gun and would stay home otherwise. Most of these people think no more of it than carrying ID or twenty bucks- you'll never know they have a gun. Eventually, 99% of these folks stop carrying. But no reason to tell a responsible person not to do something they are free to do- they will reach that conclusion on their own.

I also strongly believe in the right of a lone woman to carry a gun. Not because she needs it, but because she would stay home otherwise. I have hiked with women who know they do not need the gun, but have had an issue in their past that prevents them from going otherwise. Sexual assault is more common than many people like to discuss IN TOWN. It is unspeakably rare on the trail. The trail is a healing place however, and if the only thing between you and the trail is a one pound block of metal- then bring it. My experience has been that the empowerment of hiking has been enough to prevent future carrying of a weapon- but that healing would have never happened without it.

Lest you think otherwise- I am speaking of real people. Two of whom were rape victims who put their lives back together by taking control. Once they had it back, they no longer carried.

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 23:21
"People who can responsibly carry a gun won't tell you."

This is often the case. Almost all of those that I know who do responsibly, and that means legally carry, conceal it. Even with the handful I know who "bend the rules" and carry on a long distance hike it's concealed. One of the reasons why they say they most often conceal it is that they don't feel the need to advertise it. They are secure enough in themselves, in their environment, and with the extremely low possibilities of having to use it. All that I know who do CCF would only use it as a last resort. Most are LEOs. They are trained and I would say would act responsibly and knowledgeably! Can't say that about every gun owner though!

So, attempting to get anything that resembles an accurate reasonable account of those carrying isn't likely to happen. Others knew this as well and made posts regarding it.

Even with the one admitted LEO posting on this thread examine his level headed mindset and opinion carefully. If anyone could find legitimate justification for CCF I think it would be him.

MikenSalem
08-30-2013, 23:51
I don't need a gun, my socks are considered a deadly weapon... My thoughts are the handgun is too much trouble to carry, even if it's one of those little 9oz .380's that Ruger makes... not that I know anything about CC or guns or anything... but it would be hard to keep it dry, handy, and on or near my person when I can't stand a candy rapper in my pocket on the trail..

RF_ace
08-31-2013, 07:51
one would be surprised how much damage a tungsten tip of a hiking pole can do if used correctly

Drybones
08-31-2013, 08:04
And, this post w/ the vid is sticking to the OP's question? Do you want us too assume you're sticking to the subject and not going off on a tangent, as these topics ALWAYS ALWAYS do?

Do as I say, not as I do.

Drybones
08-31-2013, 08:07

He's being a responsible parent...he needs it to control his kids.

RCBear
08-31-2013, 08:25
Let me know how I can logistically carry my xd45 concealed, readily accessible, over varying terrain, without sweating on it, for 8 hrs, without noticing the additional 32 ozs, and you can add a plus 1 to your count.

Camping, I do....hiking, I don't.

fins1838
08-31-2013, 12:48
I forgot to mention that I have a TN carry permit. I would not have been legal in Maryland, NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH, or ME.
No one carries in MD. Our governor is anti-gun, anti-working class, anti.....................................But pro-taxing!

Slo-go'en
08-31-2013, 12:50
I'd much rather spend my money on camping gear then on guns.

Don H
08-31-2013, 13:11
No one carries in MD. Our governor is anti-gun, anti-working class, anti.....................................But pro-taxing!

The MD gov. even taxes the rain!

Some people carry in a fanny pack turned so it's in front that are designed just for carrying.

Happy44
08-31-2013, 14:14
i count the number of q-tips im carrying at all times DAT WEIGHT OF A GUN nope nope nope , and more nope, i dont need a gun here in CLE why would i need one in a much safer place like the AT!

MuddyWaters
08-31-2013, 15:00
The adults I was around growing up always openly carried a pistol in a holster on their belt during summer on the hunting lease, and during fall bowhunting. I have done the same myself for many years, so Im quite used to being around people carrying handguns openly in the woods. It doesnt bother me in the least, I think of it as normal.

The main reasons are 1) two legged tresspassers, poachers, thiefs, possible meth labs, etc 2) wild hogs (+ other nuisance non-native animals) 3) poisionous snakes.

Although I dont tend to kill poisionous snakes anymore, the first 2 are still valid reasons to not go into the woods unarmed, ever, on private land.

I have no problem with someone openly carrying weapons.

Some states allow open carry, and some still require a license for that too.

Some states require a concealed carry permit to even carry a large knife! openly or concealed! It is considered a weapon. Dont think it only applies to firearms! For instance in GA , a knife with a blade over 5" must have a carry permit, whether open or concealed!

However, I agree there is little need for it on the AT.

gollwoods
08-31-2013, 15:50
i feel a person should do as they please about carrying. end of opinion. save the applause or applesauce

Weather-man
08-31-2013, 17:09
Let me know how I can logistically carry my xd45 concealed, readily accessible, over varying terrain, without sweating on it, for 8 hrs, without noticing the additional 32 ozs, and you can add a plus 1 to your count.

Camping, I do....hiking, I don't.

Hmmm....http://www.ribzwear.com/store/

Not sure what to do about the extra 32oz though. Maybe switch over to a G-27? That will get about 5 oz saved.

There was also a person that asked about CCW permit reciprocity, I believe that he was from TN. This is a great link that has an interactive map based on your home state: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

I personally think this is a relevant topic and I treasure the differences of opinion that are exhibited politely on this site.

Sugarfoot
08-31-2013, 17:41
Okay, true story. Twenty years ago when I was reoutfitting myself for hiking after years of neglect, I placed a large order with Campmor. Back then, it was done by phone. The salesman was chatting me up and asked me where I would be hiking. I answered, "The southern Appalachians." Being from New Jersey and terrified of crazed hillbillies, the salesman asked, "Will you be carrying protection?" I didn't know what he meant and answered, "Condoms?" He, of course, meant a gun. In twenty years, I have carried neither on the Appalachian Trail and have felt quite safe. Perhaps we need a new string, "Do you carry a condom when you hike?" Safe hiking, everyone.

A.T.Lt
08-31-2013, 19:23
Okay, true story. Twenty years ago when I was reoutfitting myself for hiking after years of neglect, I placed a large order with Campmor. Back then, it was done by phone. The salesman was chatting me up and asked me where I would be hiking. I answered, "The southern Appalachians." Being from New Jersey and terrified of crazed hillbillies, the salesman asked, "Will you be carrying protection?" I didn't know what he meant and answered, "Condoms?" He, of course, meant a gun. In twenty years, I have carried neither on the Appalachian Trail and have felt quite safe. Perhaps we need a new string, "Do you carry a condom when you hike?" Safe hiking, everyone.

The only condoment i carry is Franks red hot......

MuddyWaters
08-31-2013, 19:26
actually some will carry condoms as emergency spare water containers.

Or at least thats their story.

hikerboy57
08-31-2013, 19:33

wait a minute. i just posted that on the bullets thread.................?

hikerboy57
08-31-2013, 19:38

before or after use?

max patch
08-31-2013, 19:39
Looks like at some point this thread was moved from straight forward to general. So let it rip WBers, no need to stay on topic any longer. :)

Drybones
08-31-2013, 19:47

Not sure what to do about the extra 32oz though. Maybe switch over to a G-27? That will get about 5 oz saved.

There was also a person that asked about CCW permit reciprocity, I believe that he was from TN. This is a great link that has an interactive map based on your home state: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

I personally think this is a relevant topic and I treasure the differences of opinion that are exhibited politely on this site.

That's a great link WM...thanks.

Rasty
08-31-2013, 19:47
Looks like at some point this thread was moved from straight forward to general. So let it rip WBers, no need to stay on topic any longer. :)

This isn't the Dog forum?

RCBear
09-01-2013, 10:31

Thanks for the link. I had a 23 some years ago actually. Not as compact as the 27. I do like the .40 round. The problem I have with Glocks is that the thickness just never felt right. I haven't held one of their newer single stack models however.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Theosus
09-01-2013, 11:44
before or after use?

You can re-use a condom. You just have to wash the f&^k out of it...

I have heard they can be put inside a leaky water bladder to make it hold water. I filled one in a sink one day just to see it's capacity. It held about a gallon before breaking, so they are pretty tough.
I would have a very hard time convincing the wife, "No no - these are just in case the water bladder leaks!"

I once heard of a guy whose trail name was "two dogs", because his girlfriend told him if he went hiking again, the only thing that would be in the house when he got back were his Two Dogs.
If I got caught taking condoms into the woods, my trail name would be "crap's in the yard" - as in "honey: your crap's in the yard, come get it".

bangorme
09-01-2013, 14:17
It's amazing how often I'm asked this question by non-backpackers. I'm retired LEO and a CCP holder, and never even thought about carrying on the trail. People are drilling holes in their toothbrushes, but hauling around a weapon? That's funny.

hikerboy57
09-01-2013, 14:20
It's amazing how often I'm asked this question by non-backpackers. I'm retired LEO and a CCP holder, and never even thought about carrying on the trail. People are drilling holes in their toothbrushes, but hauling around a weapon? That's funny.
think .357 toothbrush/revolver

Train Wreck
09-01-2013, 14:54
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by bangorme http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1523389#post1523389)

think .357 toothbrush/revolver

That invention could really spit bullets :D

Weather-man
09-01-2013, 18:38

I have heard they can be put inside a leaky water bladder to make it hold water. I filled one in a sink one day just to see it's capacity. It held about a gallon before breaking, so they are pretty tough.
I would have a very hard time convincing the wife, "No no - these are just in case the water bladder leaks!"

An old survival trick was to put an un-lubed condom in your kit to serve as an emergency water bladder. The condom was to be placed in a sock and then filled with water. That's the story and I'm sticking to it!

Nooga
09-01-2013, 19:31

Thanks! That is a great link

Dogwood
09-01-2013, 21:32
Could make for fun times instigating a water balloon fight at a shelter with a dull crowd too.

Cure
09-02-2013, 23:05
Use common sense if you do and ensure you obey the laws of the state you are traveling through. You can diffuse many situations by simply walking away smartly, because once you pull that trigger, you have opened the door up to many legal issues coming your way. Invest in a ACR mobile locator beacon and GPS rhino from Garmin, they are safer and will be much more effective in getting you help. If you mind your business, other's will mind their's, in the event you come across a yahoo, just get away quickly and smartly, they will leave you alone once they know they cannot intimidate you. Last file an ATC incident report at the ranger station or as soon as you make contact for help.

Don H
09-03-2013, 06:41
If you mind your business, other's will mind their's, in the event you come across a yahoo, just get away quickly and smartly

Not necessarily so.

I had a run in with some locals several miles south of Erwin. Myself and two other thru-hikers were camped and preparing dinner when two guys on horseback came down the AT and rode into our camp. They were obviously looking for trouble but there were three of us and two of them. I talked with other hikers who have had problems with the same guys. Kinda hard to walk away when your set up for the evening. Sometimes you gotta just stand your ground. In over 3,000 miles of hiking on the AT that was the only time I wished I had a gun.

Drybones
09-03-2013, 08:13
Not necessarily so.

I had a run in with some locals several miles south of Erwin. Myself and two other thru-hikers were camped and preparing dinner when two guys on horseback came down the AT and rode into our camp. They were obviously looking for trouble but there were three of us and two of them. I talked with other hikers who have had problems with the same guys. Kinda hard to walk away when your set up for the evening. Sometimes you gotta just stand your ground. In over 3,000 miles of hiking on the AT that was the only time I wished I had a gun.

Proverb: "He who looks for trouble will find it". How'd that encounter end?

RCBear
09-03-2013, 08:49
There should NEVER be a need to break camp at night to walk away from anything two legged. The thing about legally carrying concealed is that you also have the right to decide to never reveal your firearm at all, even in a situation that you would otherwise be within your rights to. And the very overwhelming majority (almost all) of those that take the time to care about legally carrying, care no more to find trouble than those that dont carry. Im far more concerned with the guy texting in the lane next to me than I am the guy carrying next to me, especially considering I will not know about it.

bfayer
09-03-2013, 09:33
.. And the very overwhelming majority (almost all) of those that take the time to care about legally carrying, care no more to find trouble than those that dont carry. Im far more concerned with the guy texting in the lane next to me than I am the guy carrying next to me, especially considering I will not know about it...

RCBear, I'll take it even further than that. Every person I know that has a CCW (and that is a lot of people) have a distinct propensity to avoid situations that would lead to a confrontation. The vast majority of them have a CCW because despite their best efforts they (or their families) were put into a dangerous situation through no fault of their own and they had no effective means to defend themselves.

The country is a big place and there exceptions to every rule, but if you talk to just about anyone with a CCW they will tell you just about the same thing.

The idea that someone jumps through all the hoops to obtain a CCW because they are on a power trip or because they feel inferior is a presumption fallacy.

The bottom line is I am much more comfortable around people that I know have CCWs than I am around the general public.

As for carrying on the AT, as stated earlier it is logistically and legally very difficult for a thru hiker to do.

Another Kevin
09-03-2013, 10:37
As for carrying on the AT, as stated earlier it is logistically and legally very difficult for a thru hiker to do.
Particularly in NY and MA, which allow carry for out-of-staters only if they're Federal law enforcement in uniform or active-duty military in uniform. Moreover, NY CCW's are presumed valid only in the issuing county. Many of the urban counties - including at least one that the A-T traverses - do NOT honor CCW's issued by any sheriff but their own. And some of those counties are effectively no-issue counties: the sheriff is directed to issue no CCW's. (There are exemptions in the law to allow security guards to carry on duty and in transit to their place of employment.)

NJ convicted one guy once for unlicensed carry because his flight (between two states where he was lawful) connected in Newark, and his connecting flight was cancelled. The gun was declared and in checked baggage, which had to be returned to him so that he could re-check it on another airline. The judge said that it was a shame that he was stranded in the airport with nothing lawful that he could have done with the weapon - he would have been convicted even if he was caught trying to surrender it to the police - but rules are rules.

The southerners have Absolutely No Idea how restrictive the law is in Yankee country.

bfayer
09-03-2013, 11:14
...The southerners have Absolutely No Idea how restrictive the law is in Yankee country...

That is very true. North of VA (OK WV for the nano second you're there) it becomes very difficult. Having said that even in the south, you have the problem with federal facilities such as post offices and just about every building in a national park.

Leaving it in your pack outside unguarded is to say the least unwise, and you can't legally take it inside.

Don H
09-03-2013, 12:02
Proverb: "He who looks for trouble will find it". How'd that encounter end?

This incident happened in 2011 at Whistling Gap campsite (328.6 in the AT Guide). The three of us were preparing dinner when I spotted 2 guys on horses coming north on the AT towards our campsite. They came into our campsite staying on their horses Note that for the last few miles before camp we had seen several "No Horses" signs that were in various states of destruction. One rider did all the talking while the other circled around and stayed behind us.

The discussion that followed went like this (I did all the talking):
Rider: How ya'll doin'?
Me: OK, thank you.
Rider: Ya'll seen any anybody ridin' horses around here?
Me: Nope.
Rider: Ya'll seen any game around here?
Me: No, I haven't.
Rider: Well we're looking to kill some game, ya'll sure you haven't seen any?
Me: Nope, no game.
Rider: We killed us a big bear this spring just behind Bald Mountain shelter just up the trail, weighed 400 pounds. We kilt a lot of deer around here too. We hunt all this land around here. Ya know my grand pappy was born just over the hill in a little cabin, this was all my family's land here.
Me: well we're just passing through, we'll be gone in the morning.
Rider: OK, we'll you all have a nice evening.

Both riders continue through the middle of our campsite and down a blue blazed trail, through the spring and down over the hill.

Their words, tone and body language told me that they were armed (they were hunting), that they wanted us to know that we were on their land, and that they would do whatever they wanted on that land regardless of what the law said. They were challenging us to confront them about their illegal activities. I refused.

We certainly weren't doing anything that could be considered looking for trouble.

I spoke with someone in Erwin who said these guys have had several run ins with the law including convictions for poaching and selling bear parts.

Slo-go'en
09-03-2013, 12:14
I spoke with someone in Erwin who said these guys have had several run ins with the law including convictions for poaching and selling bear parts.

And if you had pulled a gun on these guys, what do you think would have happened? I doubt it would have been pretty...

hikerboy57
09-03-2013, 12:27
dont know whether they were looking for trouble or looking for bear.
were there any complaints about them about a possible assault?

Don H
09-03-2013, 14:58
And if you had pulled a gun on these guys, what do you think would have happened? I doubt it would have been pretty...

Anyone who has a CCW knows that use of it is a last resort. And no, it wouldn't have been pretty.
I know these guys were just looking for a reason to escalate the situation.
I would not have done anything different but we were very lucky they THEY didn't do something different.

Weather-man
09-03-2013, 19:34
Anyone who has a CCW knows that use of it is a last resort. And no, it wouldn't have been pretty.
I would not have done anything different but we were very lucky they THEY didn't do something different.

I wasn't there and can't comment on your sense of the situation but I sure would've loved to hear the stories of their grand dad and what life was like in those mountains.

I guess they weren't up for an invite for a cup of coffee though :)

Game Warden
09-03-2013, 19:58
As a LEO, if I don't carry at the Walmart or convenience store, I feel half naked. However, I feel quite comfortable going unarmed on the AT or side trails. As I've said in other posts, a small group of people wants to paint the AT as a dangerous adventure--it's not. The most dangerous person on the AT is you, if you put yourself into dangerous situations. And there a gun won't help you. If I'm on the AT on duty, I have a gun, handcuffs, radio, etc because my employer says that's part of my uniform. Off duty, it's wonderfully liberating to leave the pistol behind.

Don H
09-03-2013, 19:59
I sympathize with those who had their land taken from them.

hikerboy57
09-03-2013, 20:02

I wasn't there and can't comment on your sense of the situation but I sure would've loved to hear the stories of their grand dad and what life was like in those mountains.

I guess they weren't up for an invite for a cup of coffee though :) I wonder what would have happened if they did exactly that .invited them for a cup of coffee

Game Warden
09-03-2013, 20:03
Don, you clearly encountered some jerks on the trail. As Jesus said. "Jerks will always be among you. Learn to live with it." Gunplay is not the antidote to jerks. Nor is the silly macho game of "gundisplay." Walk away.

Don H
09-03-2013, 21:31
Don, you clearly encountered some jerks on the trail. As Jesus said. "Jerks will always be among you. Learn to live with it." Gunplay is not the antidote to jerks. Nor is the silly macho game of "gundisplay." Walk away.

You totally missed the point.

There was no silly macho game of "gundisplay". I believe I handled the incident exactly as I should have.

Game Warden
09-03-2013, 22:31
Don, I get your point and you handled that situation with prudence and wisdom. My point is that another gun would accomplish nothing that your good sense didn't already do.

Sarcasm the elf
09-03-2013, 22:50
Wait a second, somehow this thread escaped from the straightforward forum. I think that's the first time I've seen that happen. :-?

Sarcasm the elf
09-03-2013, 22:53
I'd never carry a pistol, it's much more practical to use a holster. :p

rocketsocks
09-03-2013, 23:29
I'd let my dog carry it, but he's got a record...stole some bones from the pet store.

Weather-man
09-04-2013, 09:43
Another interesting method of concealed pistol and looks like it would integrate well with a backpack....anyone have one of these that can comment?

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/35/Default.aspx (http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/35/Default.aspx)

Or this model which is designed to integrate into the pack straps.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/8/Default.aspx

rocketsocks
09-04-2013, 10:06
I suppose if I were to carry, I'd look something like this. Also, Many Women's purses have become popular and have a false back, and side Velcro entry for a quick grab.

http://www.amazon.com/Concealment-Hide-A-Gun-Waist-Pack-Galati/dp/B002PAOI4W/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1378303524&sr=8-26&keywords=conceal+carry+fanny+pack

Drybones
09-04-2013, 14:26
I'd let my dog carry it, but he's got a record...stole some bones from the pet store.

I saw his photo at the post office.

Weather-man
09-04-2013, 16:33
Another interesting method of concealed pistol and looks like it would integrate well with a backpack....anyone have one of these that can comment?

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/35/Default.aspx (http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/35/Default.aspx)

Or this model which is designed to integrate into the pack straps.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/8/Default.aspx

Here're some reviews of the HPG chest packs that I found. It's heavy, the one I'm looking at is about 16oz, but folks seem to like it

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/660247_Hill_People_Gear_Recon_bag_.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBBB13ekTOw

Rolls Kanardly
09-04-2013, 16:53
I forgot to mention that I have a TN carry permit. I would not have been legal in Maryland, NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH, or ME.My son wants me to carry a weapon when I do my attempted thru hike. I live in AZ and can carry open or concealed. I did some research and found that 7 states have reciprocal agreements and 7 others do not. This is taking a big chance carrying an illegal firearm in sevens states while fulfilling a dream My vote is to not carry. Now a BB gun or pellet gun for the mice..... Rolls Kanardly

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2013, 17:14
My son wants me to carry a weapon when I do my attempted thru hike. I live in AZ and can carry open or concealed. I did some research and found that 7 states have reciprocal agreements and 7 others do not. This is taking a big chance carrying an illegal firearm in sevens states while fulfilling a dream My vote is to not carry. Now a BB gun or pellet gun for the mice..... Rolls Kanardly

I assume your permit has reciprocity with the southernmost states. If you're starting in springer GA, then you will probably end up mailing it back home (have an FFL mail it for you) long before you hit the nonreciprocity northern states. As others have said, there is little need for a gun on the A.T. And the extra weight and responsibility will end up convincing you not to carry it.

Nooga
09-04-2013, 18:55
My son wants me to carry a weapon when I do my attempted thru hike. I live in AZ and can carry open or concealed. I did some research and found that 7 states have reciprocal agreements and 7 others do not. This is taking a big chance carrying an illegal firearm in sevens states while fulfilling a dream My vote is to not carry. Now a BB gun or pellet gun for the mice..... Rolls Kanardly

Sling shot

adamkrz
09-04-2013, 19:37
I carry 100% of the time - concealed and ready to go, Real pain to get a mass. permit but worth the effort in my opinion.

I'm a retired corrections officer and had to show my weapon twice in the past 20 years just walking in town where I live- So far never on the trail, You folks could say what you want but I'd rather have it and not need it than to be without and needing it..

Trebor66
09-05-2013, 07:25
I've been carrying a gun 5 days a week for the last 20 years. I go hiking to get away from the city and the job. The last thing I'm going to take is my pistol. Just my opinion....

rocketsocks
09-05-2013, 07:34
I've been carrying a gun 5 days a week for the last 20 years. I go hiking to get away from the city and the job. The last thing I'm going to take is my pistol. Just my opinion....

Fox in the hen house :D:)

moytoy
09-05-2013, 07:44
The discussion of whether to carry or not is just pointless. It's like arguing religion. But if you carry legally then I don't see a problem. Total weight of a Keltec p32 is 9 oz loaded. I think the same gun in a .380 ACP is 11 oz. loaded. Kinda takes away the too heavy argument.

rocketsocks
09-05-2013, 07:47
The discussion of whether to carry or not is just pointless. It's like arguing religion. But if you carry legally then I don't see a problem. Total weight of a Keltec p32 is 9 oz loaded. I think the same gun in a .380 ACP is 11 oz. loaded. Kinda takes away the too heavy argument.
Agree, not a big deal weight wise...at all.

Drybones
09-05-2013, 15:11
Kinda takes away the too heavy argument.

If I could find a 4 oz version I might start carrying...any item over 2 oz is subject to elemination if I can get by without it.

RCBear
09-05-2013, 15:55

Not really. If you are going to trail carry, then you may as well have a caliber that is suitable for human threat as well as for that which has thicker hide and greater muscle and bone density.

Sarcasm the elf
09-05-2013, 18:18
Meh...who really needs a gun anyway...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-23971183 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-23971183)

Kazakhstan: Wolf v ex-police officer

News from Elsewhere...

Wolves rarely attack people, but one tried its luck on a passer-by near the village of Zhetybai in the remote Kazakh steppes.

Unluckily for the wolf, burly retired policeman Daulet Tuyeshiyev was more than a match for it. "I was having a look around beside my car when some beast attacked me. At first I thought it was a dog, then I realised I was wrestling with a wolf," he told Lada newspaper. The powerful animal bit him repeatedly on the back, arms and legs, but Tuyeshiyev managed to strangle it with his bare hands.

Villagers say they burned the wolf while Daulet made his own way to hospital, but not before photographing the body. Elders are surprised at the attack on a human, but recall that local huntsman Aldaberdy Akshabayev has stopped his regular wolf culls since the council cut off funding. Mangistau region police warn that the wolves are now becoming bolder as they compete for food.

Use #NewsfromElsewhere to stay up-to-date with our reports via Twitter.

Trebor66
09-05-2013, 20:01
Fox in the hen house :D:)

It's all good🙈🙉🙊