PDA

View Full Version : How quickly do the Data Books/Thru Hiker's Companions go out of date?

Turkey Sandwich
08-30-2013, 03:38
I'm beginning planning for a February 2014 thru-hike. I'd like to start drafting a rough itinerary before the new year, so my questions are:

What month do these books typically come out?
Would it be silly to start some planning now with the 2013 books? Would that end up getting me lost or over/underestimating timing and distances?

Thanks!

MuddyWaters
08-30-2013, 04:15
Well, just because you buy a new one for a given year, doesnt mean there wont be any changes during the year.

The previous years is probably 99+% correct.

moldy
08-30-2013, 09:06
They are normally out un Jan. AWOL's guide is far better.

09-05-2013, 20:31
I have a 1999 data book and I think I would have few issues using it to hike, little has changed and there is information out there.

Rain Man
09-05-2013, 20:45
For the $10 to join ALDHA, you can get the current pdf electronic version of the Companion as part of the membership. At least, that's how I remember it. I put the pages for my section hikes on my smart phone.

I take actual current pages from The A.T. Guide.

Though there are hundreds of changes each year, I don't think you'd get lost nor do any serious mis-planning by using the 2013 versions now.

Rain:sunMan

atmilkman
09-05-2013, 20:50
For the $10 to join ALDHA, you can get the current pdf version of the Companion as part of the membership. At least, that's how I remember it. I put the pages for my section hikes on my smart phone.

I take actual current pages from The A.T. Guide.

Rain:sunMan

This is a good deal. It's $8 for the Companion pdf for non-members so it's like getting a membership for 2 bucks. To me it's a no brainer.

Slo-go'en
09-06-2013, 12:04
The trail is pretty stable, very little changes from year to year these days. Towns don't move nor do shelters (except on rare occasions).

The biggest variable are the services along the way. Hostels come and go, stores open or close.

I just got around to replacing my 2004 guide, mainly because I've been cutting pages out of it for section hikes and there isn't much left to it in one piece and I've lost a bunch of sections.

It's probably a good idea to get the current guide before starting a thru-hike, but for getting a general idea before hand, nothing wrong with an old guide. And of course, any itnerary you come up with now will be null and void as soon as you set foot on the trail.

Cookerhiker
09-09-2013, 09:10
If you're getting one of the guides to services e.g. Companion, then you don't need the data book.

Venchka
09-09-2013, 09:15
Good luck with a February start. Be prepared.

Wayne

Turkey Sandwich
09-10-2013, 09:17
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice, folks! My books are in the mail...

tiptoe
09-10-2013, 10:44
I use guides that are quite a bit older than 2013 books and haven't seen a whole lot of changes. I do belong to ALDHA and check the current online version as well. WhiteBlaze is as good a place as any to check for new shuttlers, hostels, restaurant closings/openings and similar stuff.

TEXMAN
09-10-2013, 17:50
Good luck with a February start. Be prepared.

Wayne
Check out my journal at www.trailjournals.com/omriver (http://www.trailjournals.com/omriver) I started my hike on Feb 15th in 2009 and again in 2010 ....the journals will let you see what the weather is like then......Old Man River