PDA

View Full Version : Injury on the AT - Very good thing I had my cell phone

Mrs Baggins
08-30-2013, 05:40
I led a day hike yesterday on the AT from Keys Gap nobo to Harpers Ferry. Three miles into the hike one of the ladies slipped on a wet rock and went down, breaking her right wrist. One of the other ladies is Veterinarian and quickly managed a splint from two sticks and bandanas, and another person pulled out there water bladder (filled with very cold water) and we rested her wrist on it. In the meantime I got out my phone and dialed 911. I have Verizon and coverage there was excellent. An hour later we had firefighters coming up the mountainside and EMTs and a park ranger coming up the trail from Chestnut Hill Road. Then an ATV "gator" made it's way up the steep mountainside to us. They resplinted the wrist, got her up on her feet (she was in too much pain and was definitely not willing to try to hike out) and got her on the ATV and down to a waiting ambulance. The Vet went back with one of the EMTs to his vehicle on the road and he took her back to the HF visitors center to get her car so that she could get to the hospital to be with the injured hiker and get her back home. The rest of us went on to HF.

There is always chatter about how cell phones should be left at home, how no one needs to be connected all the time, etc. Only two of us brought a phone and the other one was nearly dead. Had I not had my phone to call 911 our only alternative would have been to turn around and go all the way back to Keys Gap, get the vehicle we'd shuttled up there in, drive all the way back to the HF visitors center and get the rangers to call 911. Because of my phone, the 911 dispatcher said that they had "pinged" me and knew exactly where we were on the trail and that's how the firefighters were able to come up the mountainside straight to us. The whole ordeal took an hour start to finish - not the hours it could have taken had we had to get back to the car and back to town. We're not fast hikers and it took us nearly two hours to cover that first 3 - 3 1/2 miles. No phone and we'd have been looking at a good 3 - 4 hours with that poor lady laying there in terrible pain.

Grits
08-30-2013, 06:40
I am glad that everything turned out ok. Macon County NC Commissioners (Ron Haven) just approved a cell tower that will have a similar impact.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/news/item/11617-trail-official-worries-new-cell-tower-will-mar-views

Mrs Baggins
08-30-2013, 07:45
This was all handled by the Jefferson County 911 communications center. They were so very kind and kept us up to date on where everyone was who was on the way. We ended the call knowing that help was just minutes away and then another 911 person called back just to make sure we were all okay and that there were no changes. I was able to text another member of our group (she wasn't hiking with us on this day) who is an EMT/Search and Rescue person and she gave us tips on how to treat the injury til the EMTs could get there. Turned out we were doing everything right. I also had a ziplock with Advil in it and we got the injured person to down 4 of them. I bring Advil, aspirin (in case of a suspected heart attack), and Benadryl for allergic reactions - all just til we can get professional help in the event of injury/illness.

fredmugs
08-30-2013, 08:29
A broken ankle I get but a broken wrist? A crew of rescue workers had to go up and retrieve someone capable of walking?

Kerosene
08-30-2013, 08:37
Sorry, that's not the example I'd use to justify carrying a cell phone.

HooKooDooKu
08-30-2013, 09:08
IMHO, this isn't a story of "this is why you should carry your cell-phone into the wilderness". It is a story of people going hiking unprepared, and relying on technology.

Its the perfect example of why it is important to be extra cautious when you are out in the wilderness, the reason why I fuss at my boys when we are a mile deep into the woods and I find them trying to balance themselves on a wet log.

And it's a perfect example of why, even on a day hike, you have to go prepared... prepared for the possibility of someone getting hurt (first aid kit?) and having to spend extra time in the woods (any warm clothing should you suddenly find yourself staying out much longer than you expected).

Mrs Baggins
08-30-2013, 09:13
Good lord. She simply slipped on a wet rock. Of course none of you EVER make an odd step and slip. Ever. And no she was not about to risk hiking out with only one arm to hold a pole or keep her balance. There are long sections of that part of the trail that are quite rocky and narrow. I've been hiking with her for 3 years and she's quite fit and capable. Some of you are highly self-righteous and insulting. As for the number of crew sent up - that was hardly up to us, was it? Dispatch knew the situation and it was THEIR call to send so many up. Ask them about it, not me. And yes it was an EXCELLENT reason to have a charged up cell phone at the ready. The he-man swagger has never impressed me. I find it laughable.

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 09:17
it is indeed an excellent reason to carry a charged cell phone. i carry a phone myself. ive always assumed i would not get a signal when i needed it the most.i do not feel a phone should be relied on as a survival tool. just a supplement.

Deco
08-30-2013, 09:22
Sounds like a great reason for a cell. I hike with mine for just such an emergency. And yes depending on how bad the brake is and perhaps the age of the injured a broken arm can be very debilitating. Sounds like you were prepared and did the right thing.

imscotty
08-30-2013, 09:48
I am glad things worked out for you and your friend Mrs. Baggens. 'Let he who as never slipped on a wet rock throw the first stone.' This could happen to anyone. It is a good thing that your group had a cell phone and coverage.

Having said that, I usually do not bring a cell phone with me on my hikes. I know that many people now consider cell phones a 'necessity' and that hiking without one is irresponsible. We all must live with the consequences our decisions. I am willing to live with mine.

Malto
08-30-2013, 11:18
glad your friend is OK.

What would have happened if you didn't have a cell phone? Likely you would have walked backed to the car and went to the hospital and everything would have worked out fine. I'm not sure the cell phone did much other than give someone a bit of comfort as they were surrounded by the Calvary going out.

hayshaker170
08-30-2013, 11:42
A broken ankle I get but a broken wrist? A crew of rescue workers had to go up and retrieve someone capable of walking?

Man, that is a little hard core.

max patch
08-30-2013, 12:11
Aaron Ralston intentionally broke his arm, amputated his arm with a leatherman knock off, rappelled one-handed down a 65 foot cliff, and hiked 8 miles to his car. The Aristrocrats.

QHShowoman
08-30-2013, 12:23
I hike alone, mostly, and I always carry my cell phone "just in case."

As harsh as Fredmugs' post was, I have to say, as I was reading the OP, I was thinking the same thing.
But, people react to injuries and stress differently and I am glad that everything worked out for the hiker in question.

Mrs Baggins
08-30-2013, 12:25
Aaron Ralston intentionally broke his arm, amputated his arm with a leatherman knock off, rappelled one-handed down a 65 foot cliff, and hiked 8 miles to his car. The Aristrocrats.

Good for him. Still glad we used the phone and got help. If this lady was your mom would you order her onto her feet and to keep hiking? Sure sounds like it.

Drybones
08-30-2013, 12:37
Good for him. Still glad we used the phone and got help. If this lady was your mom would you order her onto her feet and to keep hiking? Sure sounds like it.

No, but if it was me, my mom would probably whip me for breaking something and chase me up the trail with a switch.

max patch
08-30-2013, 12:37
I'm glad your friend got out with a minimum of pain. My point was to show that the cell phone didn't "save the day" and that she could have gotten out on her own albeit with a bit of pain.

Gorgiewave
08-30-2013, 12:47
I entirely agree with Mrs Baggins. Those who think they are wilder and further from civilisation are those who come on and have to boast over the internet, which to my mind, is not a good way of being a hardman.

I will carry a phone with me.

bfayer
08-30-2013, 12:48

I'm with you on this one Mrs B, I can't tell you how many SAR cases I've been involved in where we had to ask the folks "why didn't you call us sooner". Simple problems turn into not so simple problems very quickly.

Folks this a case of an actual injury, not someone that lost their bottle of sparkly water and couldn't bear to drink from a puddle. It takes more brain cells to know when to call for help than is does to tough it out and die cold and alone.

Good job Mrs B!

-SEEKER-
08-30-2013, 13:15
I'm glad your friend got out with a minimum of pain. My point was to show that the cell phone didn't "save the day" and that she could have gotten out on her own albeit with a bit of pain.

I broke my tibia on Mt. Madison this year and I hiked on it for another 15 miles. I had a cell but chose not to use it. Everyone has a different pain tolerance level.

kayak karl
08-30-2013, 13:51
nothing to do with pain, it's being smart. in a class i teach we talk about these situations. ranger said if hurt call somebody. tell them what happened and your plans. hiking on or hiking out. you never really know how bad your hurt sometimes. complications set in, shock, internal bleeding, clots form, etc.

Mrs. Baggin, glad you and others helped your friend. i carry a phone also when alone and with a group.

To the doctors on here. I have seen broken wrists on job site and we were told when the ambulance got there "Glad yous didn't move him". Would of it been wise to hike out????

Nutbrown
08-30-2013, 13:54
Good job Mrs. B. That's what EMS is there for. Some emergencies are more critical, but EMS is for anyone that needs help.

PeaPicker
08-30-2013, 14:10
IMHO...Did I do what I felt was the right thing? other opinions matter not

atmilkman
08-30-2013, 15:07
She could of pulled a bullet from it's casing, bit down on it real hard and poured the gunpowder on her wrist and lit it. (what the hell - it works in the movies) Glad your friend faired well Mrs. B.

lostagain
08-30-2013, 15:40
I always carry my cell with me. When I'm going back country, I also carry a PLB. Better safe than sorry.

Mrs Baggins
08-30-2013, 16:20

Just one more thing - something I should have said in my first response to this one: Do you believe that if Ralston had had a phone with him he wouldn't have USED it?!?! Because that's how it sounds to me - - he didn't do any of that because he could have gotten help if he'd had phone with him. He did it because he had no way of getting any help. He wasn't swinging his ego around and saying "Not me! I don't no stinkin' phone! I'll just throw it over a cliff and by God cut my own arm off!"

max patch
08-30-2013, 16:34
LOL, he would have tried his phone and where he was he wouldn't have a signal. So he'd walk out.

What would your friend have done if you didn't have a signal? She woulda walked out.

No one is begrudging the fact that you used a cell to get help and saved your friend some pain. But as another poster said, this is not the example to use that cell phones are a must have item on the AT.

magneto
08-30-2013, 17:10
It was smart to contact SAR for assistance. If the injured person was not comfortable walking out because of pain, shock or whatever and she had tried (or been coerced into trying), she would certainly be open to receiving more serious injuries. The OP showed excellent leadership skills by evaluating the situation and using the available resources to effect a safe outcome. He was able to utilize the skills of people in his group and his equipment in an effective way. It would be an example of poor leadership to not use all resources at his disposal to resolve an emergency.

Thanks to the OP for posting, his account is instructive!

magneto
08-30-2013, 17:12
My apologies, Mrs. Baggins, for messing up the gender pronouns - I should have said:

"It was smart to contact SAR for assistance. If the injured person was not comfortable walking out because of pain, shock or whatever and she had tried (or been coerced into trying), she would certainly be open to receiving more serious injuries. The OP showed excellent leadership skills by evaluating the situation and using the available resources to effect a safe outcome. She was able to utilize the skills of people in his group and her equipment in an effective way. It would be an example of poor leadership to not use all resources at her disposal to resolve an emergency.

Thanks to the OP for posting, her account is instructive! "

kayak karl
08-30-2013, 17:15
its MRS Baggins not MR :) ,but i am sure she appreciates your kind words.

canoe
08-30-2013, 17:27
My question is, Why would you not carry a cell phone? Of all the safety tools one can have on the AT why would you leave it at home. Some say I am self reliant. That is very important. Will a phone fail. Yes. So one should be self reliant with all the skills and tools at ones disposal. That includes a phone. WHen one says there is not place for a phone on the trail... I have a compass and a map(important to have and important to know how to use) its sort of like the Amish who say we will use technology up to the 1800s but we shall not use any modern technology because it goes against our beliefs. For me I want to have at hand every good tool for survival when I am in the "wilderness". Glad you had your phone and could use it Mrs Bag

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 17:31
My question is, Why would you not carry a cell phone? Of all the safety tools one can have on the AT why would you leave it at home. Some say I am self reliant. That is very important. Will a phone fail. Yes. So one should be self reliant with all the skills and tools at ones disposal. That includes a phone. WHen one says there is not place for a phone on the trail... I have a compass and a map(important to have and important to know how to use) its sort of like the Amish who say we will use technology up to the 1800s but we shall not use any modern technology because it goes against our beliefs. For me I want to have at hand every good tool for survival when I am in the "wilderness". Glad you had your phone and could use it Mrs Bag very well said

jeffmeh
08-30-2013, 19:02
My question is, Why would you not carry a cell phone? Of all the safety tools one can have on the AT why would you leave it at home. Some say I am self reliant. That is very important. Will a phone fail. Yes. So one should be self reliant with all the skills and tools at ones disposal. That includes a phone. WHen one says there is not place for a phone on the trail... I have a compass and a map(important to have and important to know how to use) its sort of like the Amish who say we will use technology up to the 1800s but we shall not use any modern technology because it goes against our beliefs. For me I want to have at hand every good tool for survival when I am in the "wilderness". Glad you had your phone and could use it Mrs Bag

+1.

I'm happy it all worked out Mrs. B. That said, I am certainly stubborn enough that I would try to hike out with a broken wrist, but even in that scenario safety would be enhanced if someone below were aware of the situation. :)

magneto
08-30-2013, 19:10
its MRS Baggins not MR :) ,but i am sure she appreciates your kind words.

Yes - she did a good job - even though I got the pronouns wrong. That story reminded me of a leadership training / survival course I took years ago. Had a very similar scenario, but back there there was no GPS and no cell phones. One scenario involved dealing making decisions based on injured members of the party and what impact their injuries would have as time passed. Trying to move someone who is injured across difficult terrain is not as easy it sounds. A broken wrist is going to hurt, making it hard to concentrate on the trail. At a minimum it will be a massive distraction. If the person with the broken wrist falls, other members of the party may have to put themselves at risk for a rescue, and then things snowball from bad to worse.

jeffmeh
08-30-2013, 21:07
Yes - she did a good job - even though I got the pronouns wrong. That story reminded me of a leadership training / survival course I took years ago. Had a very similar scenario, but back there there was no GPS and no cell phones. One scenario involved dealing making decisions based on injured members of the party and what impact their injuries would have as time passed. Trying to move someone who is injured across difficult terrain is not as easy it sounds. A broken wrist is going to hurt, making it hard to concentrate on the trail. At a minimum it will be a massive distraction. If the person with the broken wrist falls, other members of the party may have to put themselves at risk for a rescue, and then things snowball from bad to worse.

Absolutely a possible scenario. However, when there were no cell phones, or even today where there is no reception, one really only has a few choices:

1) If there are at least 3 people in the party, one stays and tends to the injured hiker and the other bails out to get help. Leaving the injured hiker alone is a very bad idea.

2) Wait for another hiker to pass by and follow number 1). If this is not a well-traveled trail, this may not be a good idea, as waiting indefinitely makes little sense. On the other hand, if the injury is truly debilitating, and it is just you and the injured hiker, your only choice might be to apply first aid and wait. This should make it clear why it is smart to make sure someone knows your planned itinerary, so your lack of arrival can trigger a response.

3) Assist the injured hiker to hike out.

Malto
08-30-2013, 21:30

Everything you said makes sense....... But this area was hardly difficult terrain, it was a well worn fairly easy trail. If this was the Whites or Lehigh Gap, Dragon Tooth etc, it would apply. If this was an injury that prevent walking then again it would be a different story. On my PCT thru hike I dislocated my shoulder and had to have the guy I was hiking with reset it. We then preceded to kick and climb a 45+ degree ridge. I guess we could have called for help but there is a point at which hikers and groups need to be self sufficient. Clearly wouldn't apply to a life threatening situation but there was no indication that this (or my situation) was anywhere near that level.

Marta
08-30-2013, 21:46
I'm glad the situation worked out.

My husband was hiking with a couple of ER nurses several years ago, in the Smokies, in an area with no cell reception. They came upon a woman who'd broken her upper arm. One of the nurses was carrying an air splint (!), stabilized the fracture, made a sling from the husband's belt, and got the woman up and walking herself out.

The reason--by the time someone got out, got help, help was mobilized and reached her (Alum Cave Trail, very steep), hours would have passed. Best to send someone for help and then start hiking out to meet it as close to the road as possible.

There are so many possible scenarios--each case is different. Sometimes you can wait for help; sometimes you can't. It's always good to be aware of how difficult rescue would be. I ask myself...if I suddenly dropped on the spot and couldn't continue hiking, do I have enough clothes and a ground pad that would enable me to live through the night?

bfayer
08-30-2013, 21:47
Everything you said makes sense....... But this area was hardly difficult terrain, it was a well worn fairly easy trail. If this was the Whites or Lehigh Gap, Dragon Tooth etc, it would apply. If this was an injury that prevent walking then again it would be a different story. On my PCT thru hike I dislocated my shoulder and had to have the guy I was hiking with reset it. We then preceded to kick and climb a 45+ degree ridge. I guess we could have called for help but there is a point at which hikers and groups need to be self sufficient. Clearly wouldn't apply to a life threatening situation but there was no indication that this (or my situation) was anywhere near that level.

Life threatening is situational and does not always have a lot to do with the type of injury. Calling for help early and getting the victim to proper medical care while it's still light out is never a bad decision. It's safer for the SAR crew too.

Malto
08-30-2013, 22:05
Life threatening is situational and does not always have a lot to do with the type of injury. Calling for help early and getting the victim to proper medical care while it's still light out is never a bad decision. It's safer for the SAR crew too.

Agree with the logic and I'm not second guessing what was done in this situation. But these type of event cause us to consider where our trigger points are that we would push the 911 button. This situation is in no way extreme compared with other reported emergency calls. But as technology increases in the backcountry (or front country) and as this technogy creates a comfort zone for folks that won't venture into these areas if the technogy didn't exist, it creates a situation where the technology becomes a crutch for those that don't believe that hikers should first solve their own problems then rely on others in a pinch. There was a classic series of spot 911 in the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago that triggered a similiar discussion on what the threshold needs to be before the 911 button gets pushed.

Another Kevin
08-30-2013, 22:53
Agree with the logic and I'm not second guessing what was done in this situation. But these type of event cause us to consider where our trigger points are that we would push the 911 button. This situation is in no way extreme compared with other reported emergency calls. But as technology increases in the backcountry (or front country) and as this technogy creates a comfort zone for folks that won't venture into these areas if the technogy didn't exist, it creates a situation where the technology becomes a crutch for those that don't believe that hikers should first solve their own problems then rely on others in a pinch. There was a classic series of spot 911 in the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago that triggered a similiar discussion on what the threshold needs to be before the 911 button gets pushed.

Those cases are the ones that draw all the publicity, but they're in fact a vanishingly small minority of the calls. Most parties err on the side of waiting too long. Any serious problem with ABCDE (Airway, Bleeding, Circulation, Deformity, Environment) - that is, cardiovascular and respiratory incidents, drowning, severe bleeding, broken bones, burns exceeding 5-10% of body area or involving face, hand or genitals, severe hypothermia, sunstroke, heat prostration - warrants immediate emergency support. Just as any of those would get an ambulance in town. (Show up at a doctor's office or urgent care center with any of the above, and you'll leave in an ambulance.)

Marta
08-30-2013, 22:57
A case of someone who should have called for help, but didn't: My then 17-year-old son broke his collarbone while snowboarding in the Alps Christmas Day 1999. Huge windstorm. No one else around. (He and his brother were supposed to stick together but Ben wanted to take one more run...) All lifts but the main gondola shut down. Instead of calling for the ski patrol, who had a base of operation not far from the site of the accident, the kid spent the next hour slowly making his way down the mountain, a vertical kilometer of altitude, several miles of trail. When we took him to the Ortho clinic, thoughtfully located next to the base of the gondola, one broken end of the collarbone was very close to severing his jugular. Makes me feel pretty sick to think about how close we came to losing him through his own stupidity. Fortunately the price he paid was pain and months of inactivity during the recovery, rather than death alone on the mountain.

Mags
08-30-2013, 23:23
How apropos. I cut my recent trip a little short (70 vs 95 miles) because my buddy had a bad shin splint/ankle issues.

He was making perhaps 1.5 miles an hour and really rugged terrain was coming up.

I doubt cell phone reception was to be had.

So what to do?

We looked at the map, made some plans, walked out to a popular trailhead and some good Samaritans gave my myself and a buddy a ride to a nearby town (nearby being 40-50 miles away! :) ) . Garlic, who was on the trip with me, busted his hump to make miles (thanks Garlic!!!), power hiked to our car parked at our original exit point, and he met us the following day.

We had maps. We knew how to read them. We came up with a plan. We adjusted accordingly.

Cell phones can be useful. But needed? That's another ball of wax. Heck, they do not work in even semo-remote areas most of the time.

The upside? The wife and I now have a few days to spend together in the Medicine Bows this weekend. :)

rocketsocks
08-30-2013, 23:24
Good call Mrs. B, glad it worked out.

dmax
08-30-2013, 23:24
Who's to stay that a ride down the mountain on a sled wouldn't have severed it?

My wife is a nurse and worked EMS. A few years back we found a teenager on the side of the trail with a broken collar bone. After assessing, etc, my wife told him to come with us and we'd help him out. He said he wasn't moving. Help was on the way. She told him that he would be walking out so we might as well start now. No luck. After a long time they showed up. Etc... They asked him to stand up and start walking out ..... And walk out he did!

Cosmo
09-02-2013, 10:03
Key items of note regarding this incident:
1. Group was equipped with skills to render appropriate level of first-aid. Injured hiker probably COULD have walked out if the situation had called for it, especially since she had the assistance of fellow hikers--'tho shock can be more dangerous than the initial injury.
BUT
2. Caller was able to tell EMS where they were and what had happened. We've all read reports of hikers who did not know where they were, or unable to describe the extent of their injuries--the kind of event that really uses up responder resources.

IMHO, Completely appropriate use of available resources. We got hikers calling for pizza for crying out loud, why not for appropriate medical care?

Cosmo

booney_1
09-02-2013, 11:41
Remember the first rule of wilderness first aid-Don't make the situation/injury worse. If EMS could not get there for hours perhaps walking out would be called for. Walking 3 miles in the mountains with an injured person could take a LONG time. Another fall or slip could greatly increase the injury. Even the movement associated with waking could have made the injury worse. With an internal injury it's very difficult to establish the extent of the injury. It sounds like it was very serious. The blood supply to the fingers and hands could be seriously reduced.

Another point in fall types of injuries is that there maybe another undiagnosed injury. Most wilderness first aid courses teach you to make a through examination. Too often the person giving aid is drawn to the most obvious injury, but in a fall the head or neck may have been hurt, and moving the person, or delaying medical attention might result in serious injury.

Congratulations on making the correct call.

There are lots of spots on the AT that look like wilderness, but close by is a ATV trail hunters or locals might use. It's always a good idea to contact help in the case of an injury. At the very least they can offer an educated opinion on the proper first aid to administer.

WalksInDark
09-02-2013, 11:54
Mrs. Baggins...just right to call for help.

Someone else's "shake it off...and walk out under your own power."

I am very glad it all worked out...and I think that there are a lot of lessons that can be learned from this post:
(1) Always carry first aid (appropriate meds for you, and your hiking partner(s) as well)
(2) Know first aid. Get trained on how to handle most typical trail emergencies, before you hit the trail!)
(3) Access all expertise that is available to you. (Some hikers may never have thought to ask a Vet, but their knowledge of how to deal with broken bones and shock could be very helpful).
(4) If available, call a lifeline. (Sure you can pool all available local knowledge....and still come up short. But by asking others for help you increase the chances of ending up with the right answer(s).)
5) Always plan ahead, as life will often throw a few curves at you.

I like to tell folks that I am one of the "Stop" signs in life. If you listen and/or watch me make mistakes...you can learn from my errors and not have to make them yourself. I like to think of myself as kind of a walking/talking/hiking "Public Service Announcement!

Case in point:

A couple of years ago I was hiking solo on a section of the AT in PA. Due to a combination of errors (some, no doubt, could have been avoided), I caught the tip of my boot while going down a steep incline...and in a matter of seconds fell face first upon a jutting rock...which promptly knocked me unconscious and gave me a moderate concussion. When I came to minutes later, I could not remember where I was or what I had been doing. Lying on the ground, blood streaming down my forehead/nose/face, with my arms trapped under me, and a large heave pack locking me to the ground; I came to the conclusion that I had been mugged. (Don't ask me how I came to this conclusion, as I have never in my life ever been mugged.)

After a few more minutes I really came to and realized that I had taken a bad fall. Throwing off my pack, I managed to sit up and take a picture of my face (so that I could tell how badly I had been injured.). Seeing lots of blood and a few contusions and abrasions, I opened up my over sized first aid kit and proceeded to clean and debride my wounds and took some ibuprofen. I thought about using my phone to ask for help, but decided that I wasn't really hurt that bad. Later, I got up, put my pack back on, and hiked multiple hours back to the nearest trail head. A good Samaritan at the trail head summoned a fee-for-service driver for me...and I was transported back to my car.

Looking back at my accident, it might have been nice to have gotten some help...but my fear of incurring huge ambulance/rescue/ER fees....and not having any health insurance.....made me willing to walk out on my own. However, I do not recommend this "Lone Ranger" approach to anyone. What works for one person, no doubt will NOT WORK for many others; so HYOH!

ChuckT
09-02-2013, 16:31
Even a broken toe can put you down! Makes me wonder if they ever tried to hike with a broken wrist.
cvt