PDA

View Full Version : hiking skirts/skorts

marshbirder
08-30-2013, 10:50
I'm interested in recommendations for hiking skirts or skorts. It seems that skorts would kind of defeat the purpose, but my friend who thrued in 2009 (Gangsta) seemed to love hers.

Good skirts/skorts and thoughts on hiking in them?

Thanks!

Traffic Jam
08-30-2013, 11:16
I've hiked in a running skort. It's comfortable and quick drying. It looks a little silly with my boots but hey, I've never seen any fashion police out patrolling the AT.

DLP
08-30-2013, 12:26
I've hiked in nylon skirts that I've gotten from thrift stores. I started wearing a skirt my second time hiking Mt Lassen where we spent 4 hours above treeline and the only place to pee was while standing on the trail. I also find hiking in a skirt especially useful on trails with a lot of people, as I can quickly pee (standing up) with minimal exposure. Skirts are a drag if you need to climb over a lot of downed trees. Also a drag in mosquito or tick infested areas or where the trail is overgrown. I've also needed to wear compression shorts under the skirt to prevent chaffing. Needed to wear gaiters to keep debris out of shoes.

I just got back from doing a section of the PCT and happily went back to wearing light colored, nylon long pants. I didn't take a skirt, and didn't really miss it. Several times where I was glad that I was wearing long pants.

This is me, but given what I heard about ticks on the AT... I think that I'd wear long pants if/when I have the opportunity to hike in the East. But plenty of people certainly hike the AT with bare legs.

QHShowoman
08-30-2013, 12:40
I like the Bettona skorts from Athleta.
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=86354&vid=1&pid=567658012

The fabric is moisture-wicking and very comfy. The shorts are probably the best I've had in a skort. They're made of stretchy -- but hardy -- mesh-like fabric and they stay put -- no riding up or bunching. The one downside is that the skirt fabric takes a while to dry if it gets truly soaked. But, it's pretty versatile -- I've worn it to the office on casual days and out to dinner at restaurants.

I may try this one next, because I have a gift card I am itching to use. It looks a little more durable for hiking:
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=86354&vid=1&pid=918973002

Just Bill
08-30-2013, 21:46
Apologies for the invasion ladies- but as a fellow skirt wearer I thought I'd chime in, I researched this topic recently and ended up making my own. While most men call em kilts, I call em skirts.
To Marshbirder; If the reason you are considering a skirt is to avoid/reduce chafing- you're right- the skort is pointless. There are modesty/fashion reasons for a skort- but eliminating the inseam is the point of the skirt. Panties with skirt is a bigger help than skirt with built in shorts or a skort. Or go commando.

Body Glide, even with a skirt- seems to be the only solution for me during the hottest times of the year. You can find it at many running or sporting goods stores- it goes on like deodorant and because it's made for high temps- the stick doesn't melt in the heat like deodorant can in your pack.

As DLP mentioned- your best bet seems to be a homemade or cheap nylon skirt. They are fairly easy to make- I make mine out of M50 (from thru-hiker.com). With two pockets and an elastic waistband it comes out to around an ounce. One solution to the tick issue is to wear tall socks. On the AT specifically- that's enough. On less well maintained trails- well pants are pants.

QHShowoman has found the biggest issue with most commercial skirts (and many running clothes)- the spandex/lycra count does help the garment retain it's shape/look/feel- but for backpackers- they are a bitch to dry. Perfect fabric for a sweaty run, but not for days of backpacking away from the dryer.

Sport Kilt is one source, but they don't really have much info available- http://sportkilt.com/
Mountain hardware (several other skirts too but this is one I've heard good reviews of) http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Women%27s-Yuma%E2%84%A2-Trekkin-Skirt/OL5221,default,pd.html
I was surprised to find that running skirts were hard to find- although my wife has recently had good luck with cheap workout stuff at TJMaxx.

I went with the homemade- weight is good, drytime is awesome. The M50 fabric does have a DWR coating, but a few runs followed by washing with standard detergent has stripped most of that away. I do have to put something small in the pocket (like a quarter) or the skirt drifts up because it's so light. If you want some info on making a skirt PM me.

chiefduffy
08-31-2013, 07:27
My wife wears an old Mountain Hardware Hiking Kilt, won't hike in anything else. Not sure if they are still available...

Hot Flash
08-31-2013, 09:38
I often hike in a Macabi convertible skirt.

http://www.macabiskirt.com/

DLP
08-31-2013, 10:54
...the biggest issue with most commercial skirts (and many running clothes)- the spandex/lycra count does help the garment retain it's shape/look/feel- but for backpackers- they are a bitch to dry. That's why I stopped wearing sports bras... but that's another thread. :)

ScottishLass
08-31-2013, 15:54
I love the Macabi skirt because you can clip it into various lengths depending on what you're doing. It dries quickly and has lots of pockets. I'm surprised everyone doesn't wear one!

dzierzak
09-03-2013, 07:51
My wife wears an old Mountain Hardware Hiking Kilt, won't hike in anything else. Not sure if they are still available...

I have one of those. They changed models the following year. Looks more like a kilt than a skirt.

scooterdogma
09-05-2013, 18:53
I hiked NC and TN in a Mountain Hardware Kilt. Loved it! Easy to pee, easy to change into long underwear in the shelters, and plenty of air circulation to keep problems at bay. Only drawback of the MH is it is heavy. That is why I will be rocking a sportkilt this time around. Much lighter with all the benefits.

scooterdogma
09-05-2013, 18:56
Hmmm, there are times when I have seen "double" in my life, but this is a first seeing "triple", lol.

I hiked NC and TN in a Mountain Hardware Kilt. Loved it! Easy to pee, easy to change into long underwear in the shelters, and plenty of air circulation to keep problems at bay. Only drawback of the MH is it is heavy. That is why I will be rocking a sportkilt this time around. Much lighter with all the benefits.

Northern Lights
09-05-2013, 22:35
I bought two REI skorts for my trip to Europe. They were absolutely comfortable. Definitely would wear them on the AT

marshbirder
09-05-2013, 23:21
Thanks for all of the input! I don't wear short skirts in the "real world" but I think that would be a better option for me on the trail because I don't want anything rubbing on my knees. At least when I'm in sections that don't require a lot of sliding on my butt or climbing over large fallen trees. I have an L.L. Bean skort that rubs too much on the top of my legs if I'm walking for a long time. I have plenty of time to try some out...

quasarr
09-13-2013, 11:58
I also don't see the point of a skort ... it's the same as shorts! I guess the point is that it's cuter, which I totally understand. Lookin' good never takes a day off. :D

cdngrl
09-16-2013, 12:52
I'm pretty new to backpacking, but I did a 4-day backpacking trip to Kings Peak (http://woodthrushhikes.wordpress.com/2013/08/29/backpacking-to-kings-peak-utah/), Utah, and I LIVED in this running skort (http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-mesh-skort-assorted-colors/-/A-14554685#prodSlot=large_1_7)I bought at Target: http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-mesh-skort-assorted-colors/-/A-14554685#prodSlot=large_1_7

It was seriously the most comfortable thing ever. I packed capris on the trip and wore them the first day, but never went back.

Just Bill
09-16-2013, 13:29
Ladies (and interested gentleman)- I'm leaving for the LT in a few hours, so I'll have some trail tested feedback soon. Since making my M50 skirts I also found some non-coated ripstop material and have played with that too. I plan to take both with me on my trip, but find myself liking the ripstop model better. My M50 model weighs a whopping 1 ounce. It is so thin and wispy though that I need to put a small rock in my pocket to stop it from floating away. I'm also a bit worried about long term durability, although no issues on 10 days worth of trips and a few dozen day trips. I have a hard time believing it would make it though a thru hike or even a busy season.

The "heavy duty" model came in at 2.5 ounces. It dries in 15 minutes (I wore it in the shower, washed it, wrung it out, and put it on) and has two pockets, comes to knee length. My other skirts are mid thigh- very comfy, breezy and more than modest enough when walking- but not so much when taking a break. This slightly longer model, if you'll forgive the mental image, leaves me much more contained when taking a break. If all goes well on the trip I'll let you know- but if folks are interested I can provide some instructions for those that sew or possibly make a few for folks if needed.

Skirts are the way to go, when temps dip you can add your own undies if needed. Keeping them separate makes laundry easier and leaves you cleaner and more versatile. I experimented with built in (sewn in) undies but found that to be less versatile and no weight savings overall, and the longer length (just touching your knee) seems perfect all around. While probably not a fair comparison- I can tell you ladies that squatting to poop in a skirt is a much more comfy choice than balancing with short-cuffs around your ankles- and no risk of accidently peeing on your shorts (you're still on your own with your shoes). I even found myself squatting to pee a few times when hiking the crowded local forest preserves here at home- a quick squat seems much less conspicuous. There are a lot of easily alarmed rich suburban housewives on the trails by me that don't like furry fellows with pigtails and a skirt to be standing around peeing while they walk their designer dogs. So as an occasional pee squatter (don't get to excited hill-ape)- skirts seem to be the garment of choice.

If any of you have info on the sport kilt (weight and reviews) please share- they seem to be the closest thing available. All the others were heavy- near a half pound, slow to dry, and had high lycra counts. Maybe no biggie out west, but in the humid east- even my New Balance running shorts at four ounces turn into 16 ounce sponges for the bulk of the trip. Keep that in mind when checking out a commercial skirt.

quasarr
09-17-2013, 13:57
While probably not a fair comparison- I can tell you ladies that squatting to poop in a skirt is a much more comfy choice than balancing with short-cuffs around your ankles- and no risk of accidently peeing on your shorts (you're still on your own with your shoes). I even found myself squatting to pee a few times when hiking the crowded local forest preserves here at home- a quick squat seems much less conspicuous.

LOL us ladies have figured out that if you squat, you should pull your pants/shorts down to your knees. Why would you pull them all the way down? This makes no sense, and as you pointed out only increases the risk of soiling them. But I applaud your efforts to enter the glorious domain of squatting.
:banana

KacePace
04-28-2014, 22:16
I have a related question about underwear and skirts. I love the idea of a hiking skirt since it would be so much easier to pee, but is it safe/acceptable to just wear them with normal underwear? Or is it better to wear shorties to keep the bugs/dirt/rocks away?

slbirdnerd
04-29-2014, 08:34
KacePace, I've been looking for and trying on hiking skirts but having issues with fit including them being VERY short (useless)--still looking. But I did get some women's boxer briefs from a company called Wickers to try under the skirt when I find the right one. I plan on wearing those or my regular wicking hiking undies under the skirt. Right now I'm seriously contemplating the men's Mountain Hardwear kilt, nothing quite so useful specifically for women. :(

Surridge
05-03-2014, 12:09
I posted about this earlier: My girlfriend thru hiked the AT in 2012. Her trail name is Purple Rain. She started out with convertible pants from Rei. Those lasted about 100 miles. Soon moved to a running shorts/ icebreaker legging combo. Finished the hike out in a similar combo to this. She was frustrated by the combo for many reasons. She spent the winter after her hike designing a hiking skirt which we took on the PCT last summer, hiking the Oregon section. The skirt uses a yoga style waistband so there are no buttons or other awkward fasteners that apply pressure with a backpack's waist belt. The skirts have pockets which allow for easy access to phone and map/guidebook pages. Easy to layer with leggings (I.e. You don't have to take off your shorts to remove leggings when getting hot. Airflow is huge she says. Also, she can stop, squat, and pee with little effort. She just started selling them on etsy and locally here in portland. Here's a link to her site for all you awesome female thrus: http://etsy.com/shop/purplerainskirts
feel free to contact her through etsy or look her up on Facebook (purple rain adventure skirts) and ask any questions. I'm pretty sure she forwent underwear and bra completely at some point. Some sports gel for chaffing, but only when it was hot and humid in the mid Atlantic.

lemon b
05-04-2014, 09:58
Just marking this one because I know my female hiking partner was asking me this exact question. Thinking she would be more comfortable hiking in some kind of skirt. Hope ya get some good info smili.

SafetyFirst
05-04-2014, 10:31
I hike in skirts I find at trail thrift stores, I've been changing out my wardrobe about once a week. I like them because they make me feel feminine on trail and make peeing easier. I believe the gels and ointments and long underwear aren't necessary to prevent chaffing if stringent hygiene is adhered to. I have learned to prevent chaffing by:

1. I wash my lady bits and thighs every night with some Dr Bonner's and about a half liter of water.

2. I carry a "piss rag" (aka a bandana) on the outside of my pack to wipe with.

3. I carry two pair exofficio underwear and I wear a pair and wash a pair every day.

It took me until mile 1100 on the PCT to figure this out but I haven't chaffed since, whether I choose to wear underwear or not.

QHShowoman
05-07-2014, 22:59
I just received a Purple Rain hiking skirt in the mail. It's well-made and even though the yoga-style waistband isn't the most flattering if you have a "pooch," I'm not vain enough to care. What I especially like is the dual pockets on each side! It's so hard to find skirts with functional pockets and when I hike in leggings or running tights, I lose out on having pockets. I plan to wear the skirt over Capri length running tights for hiking and it'll provide a bit of modesty while peeing as well. Thanks for sharing.

squeezebox
05-07-2014, 23:29
Another man in a skirt. I shortened it some so it wouldn't chafe my calves.
Mountain Handwear lots of good pockets.

Surridge
05-08-2014, 10:17
QHS, let us know how you enjoy the skirt after getting it outside for a trip! Enjoy the hiking

slbirdnerd
05-08-2014, 13:02
I went ahead and ordered the MH men's hiking kilt and, you know, it actually fits okay and with the built-in webbing belt, is flexible enough to work. It's long enough, like the fabric, and I like the pockets. It has a very soft waist lining. These things were not true with the other skirts I tried on. Apparently they used to make a women's, but oh well. The trail isn't a fashion show for me and all I care is that my clothes do what I want them to. As an added bonus, I'm ready for the Irish festival! :)

hkanz
05-11-2014, 14:06
I don't see the point of a skort... it just seems like shorts with another layer of fabric to add extra weight? I haven't tried hiking in a skirt. I think this would be awkward when navigating trails with downed trees or scrambling. Plus, you can't just zip the legs back on when it's cold or exposed, they don't protect as well from bugs, you can't wear rain pants with them, etc... I don't see any benefits, but maybe it's a chafing issue. I've never experienced chafing so can't speak to that.

cheetahgeek
05-16-2014, 03:17
I found that shorts left my legs exposed to bugs and other irritants. I'd was always slapping a long piece of grass with something crawly on it. Also, during the hot months the sweat was a magnet for dirt. I'm short and found a pair of quick drying capris that worked out great. I'm a 5'2" so they came to my boot top. I think I stayed cooler than those wearing shorts as the material would wick away the sweat.

Adriana
08-25-2014, 06:41
I'm a regular day-hiker on the Georgia AT. While I love, love, love my Athleta skort for in-town walks, dog-walks, etc. I would not wear it hiking due to poison ivy concerns. I am, however curious if any of you Athleta wearers go commando. How is the comfort?

Traffic Jam
08-25-2014, 07:48
I'm a regular day-hiker on the Georgia AT. While I love, love, love my Athleta skort for in-town walks, dog-walks, etc. I would not wear it hiking due to poison ivy concerns. I am, however curious if any of you Athleta wearers go commando. How is the comfort?

I love my Athleta skort too and wear it hiking all the time. I haven't worn it commando though, mainly for hygiene reasons. My ex officio undies are easier to rinse out and dry. I've worn the skort for 5 days straight with no chafing and buy the tall version to have more coverage for my legs.

Riocielo
08-26-2014, 04:00
If you like wearing running tights for hiking and can use a sewing machine, try putting a 7in invisible zipper in the crotch. It doesnt go where a man's zipper goes, but right over the "exits."

It makes it so easy to unzip and go, especially when it is hot and humid. I find pulling my pants up when it is humid is the hardest part! :-) With the zipper, it isn't necessary.

Dogtra
08-26-2014, 21:47
If you like wearing running tights for hiking and can use a sewing machine, try putting a 7in invisible zipper in the crotch. It doesnt go where a man's zipper goes, but right over the "exits."

It makes it so easy to unzip and go, especially when it is hot and humid. I find pulling my pants up when it is humid is the hardest part! :-) With the zipper, it isn't necessary.

That... is an interesting idea. :-?

squeezebox
08-27-2014, 06:23
That pretty much what women's knickers , ( knee length undies) , were before the 20th century. A friend of mine does Civil War reinactments, she is an excellent seamstress. makes her own Civil War clothes, including knickers and corset., corsets are much different than even long line bras.
But anyway the knickers are "split leg" a flap at the crotch that can be sepperated, (pre zipper) , squat and do your stuff.

naperica
08-27-2014, 13:52
All you women need to invest in a Pstyle http://www.thepstyle.com or something of the like. It has been one of the best things in my pack.

I wear boxer brief style cotton undies while on the trail (I found some trouble with the spandex/lycra/poly type of underwear), and I think that gives me enough protection. No one is really looking up the skirt on purpose, but I suppose if they are, then give a show ;).

Just Bill, what is the M50? I type of material? I sew and was looking into making a skirt for me that is lighter, but wasn't sure what fabric to use....

HeartFire
08-27-2014, 17:48
I can't imagine what it would be like to hike with a zipper in the crotch area - they are quite stiff - I think just a slit and even that could become uncomfortable.

Just Bill
08-27-2014, 20:54
No one is really looking up the skirt on purpose, but I suppose if they are, then give a show ;).

Just Bill, what is the M50? I type of material? I sew and was looking into making a skirt for me that is lighter, but wasn't sure what fabric to use....

Excellent attitude regarding the show!

M50- has been out of stock for some time, but comes from http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php
Although I have since given up on it- a bit too thin and wispy, gets a bit clingy too when sweaty.

My revised opinion- Full rain skirt- use Sil-Nylon, regular hiking skirt- use uncoated (plain ripstop). If you want a hybrid and you are wearing something underneath- try the DWR. It is unlikely the DWR would last a full thru, but cheap and easy enough to make an extra or two to send via mail drop.

If you wanted super light- Argon .67 is the currently available substitute for M50. It is same weight but still has a DWR coating- Will produce a one ounce skirt.
http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-67.html
If you did want a light rain skirt- I would recommend the Argon .90- http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-90.html

If you have access to a Jo-Ann- their 1.9 oz ripstop nylon is what I currently use. The uncoated dries better and drapes well. It is more durable than the M50, doesn't cling, and only adds an ounce to a finished skirt. If you are only making a skirt, this is you cheapest option as you don't have to pay for shipping. My Men's Large size is about 2.5 ounces.

If no access- then many options depending on what else you need to spread the shipping costs. Quest outfitters, Rockywoods, DIYgear supply and others.

I was working on a pattern with instructions but never fine tuned it. If you need one let me know via PM, I'll give you what I have.

Making a skirt this way is far lighter than anything else available- highly recommend it.

As fer sewing a fly or zipper into shorts- I'm with Heartfire.

Regarding the overall-
I just got a pair of the compression sleeves to try. No feedback yet- but as discussed in another thread- regardless of the medical/fitness/recovery benefits- if you are concerned about ticks, poisonous plants, etc getting at you below the knee. Skirt, Ex-officio briefs (not boxers), compression sleeves and the socks of your choice seem like a chafing solution and full coverage all in one.

naperica
08-28-2014, 08:57
Regarding the overall-
I just got a pair of the compression sleeves to try. No feedback yet- but as discussed in another thread- regardless of the medical/fitness/recovery benefits- if you are concerned about ticks, poisonous plants, etc getting at you below the knee. Skirt, Ex-officio briefs (not boxers), compression sleeves and the socks of your choice seem like a chafing solution and full coverage all in one.

I run, and use the compression socks and calf sleeves after a long run, but did not event think about putting them in my hiking wardrobe.

I have some rip-stop at home, but was not sure how it would feel sticking against me, but I don't think it is 1.9 oz. I am there often getting fabric for customers, I will check it out. Thanks!

Riocielo
08-29-2014, 04:58
The invisible zippers are softer with tiny teeth. I did sew some satin ribbon over the zipper material just to make it smoother. To be honest, I never notice the zipper is there until I need it.

illabelle
08-29-2014, 09:33
All you women need to invest in a Pstyle http://www.thepstyle.com or something of the like. It has been one of the best things in my pack.

+1, P-style is great!

Riocielo
08-29-2014, 17:21
1+ on the Pstyle for me, too!

Superbugz
08-30-2014, 08:42
PStyle for this gal too!

nonameslob
09-24-2014, 15:11
I had the Royal Robbins Discovery skirt for a long time. It had some mesh pockets and a zipper pocket, washed up nicely and dried quickly. Never wore it hiking because I was too big at the time (way too much chafing for my thighs!) but it was great for camping. I finally got rid of it because it got too big for me, but I think it would be great for hiking now in a smaller size. I believe they still sell it at REI.