PDA

View Full Version : Myxoid, Ganglion or Mucoid Cysts

imscotty
08-30-2013, 13:38
I have developed a Myxoid Cyst on my big toe. I 'self treat' it by lancing and draining about once a week. It only hurts if I hit it and it has not caused me any problems on my weekend hikes or everyday life. The other treatment options do not sound very promising to me. It is really just a minor inconvenience now; I just hope it would not be an issue on a thru-hike.

So my question is if anyone here has dealt with Myxoid Cysts on a long distance hike and if it caused any problems for them?

Hill Ape
08-30-2013, 14:01
excise and cauterize... deeply. it is important to remove both the sac and the stalk underneath it. the stalk acts as a straw/relief valve for the excess fluid in the joint to escape. that fluid buildup will not be solved by removing the cyst though, and may compound the problem. the fluid that is building up in your joint has to go somewhere. may want to look at larger/different shoes

imscotty
09-02-2013, 13:47
Thank you for the advice Hill Ape. I understand that is the recommended course of treatment for these things. I am not ready to deal with surgery so for now I will live with it. Scott