PDA

View Full Version : What to do with pack at night on the AT

bpowell1014
08-30-2013, 14:34
Hi everyone,

Leaving on my first section hike in NY tomorrow. A friend told me that in addition to hanging my food and keep my tent a good distance away from that, I should also store my pack far away too. He suggested just laying my pack on the ground (empty of course) away from my tent (instead of in my tent). That way bears wouldn't be tempted to raid my tent in the middle of the night for any residual smells that might be in the pack.

What would you suggest I do with my pack at night?

Thanks!

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 14:45
Hi everyone,

Leaving on my first section hike in NY tomorrow. A friend told me that in addition to hanging my food and keep my tent a good distance away from that, I should also store my pack far away too. He suggested just laying my pack on the ground (empty of course) away from my tent (instead of in my tent). That way bears wouldn't be tempted to raid my tent in the middle of the night for any residual smells that might be in the pack.

What would you suggest I do with my pack at night?

Thanks! my pack Is in my tent with me at night

lostagain
08-30-2013, 14:49
hang it too, or in the tent. I wouldn't worry about bears. racoons, squirrels, mice and rats are your main worry.

RED-DOG
08-30-2013, 14:50
I have completed the AT three times, I have always slept with my pack either inside my tent or sitting beside me in a shelter and I have never had problems with bears trying to get my food or my pack, if you pack your food correctly inside your pack they shouldn't be any residual smells left inside your pack after you hang your food bag, but if you still have a problem with it just Hang your pack with your food bag, On the other hand MICE is what you should be worried about getting in your pack, that's if you stay at a shelter. Good luck and happy hiking

illabelle
08-30-2013, 14:53
Residual smells will be in your pack and on yourself, but it's not a concern. I wouldn't worry too much about bears trying to get into your pack. I certainly wouldn't leave it out on the ground to be hauled off by raccoons or coyotes. How would you carry your gear the next day if your pack is gone or ripped up? Whether we hang our food or not, our packs are usually either inside the tent, or inside the vestibule.

We've mostly hung our food, but have been experimenting with keeping it in the tent in the last few trips. Lots of discussion in this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?84718-Storing-food-in-your-tent-when-you-re-sleeping

Rasty
08-30-2013, 14:57
My pack is my pillow. Bears don't need pillows.

garlic08
08-30-2013, 15:27
Ditto the above. Hang your food, sleep with or on your pack. If your pack straps get salty, they will be irresistible to the deer and little critters. Same with trekking pole straps, socks, shoes, etc.

max patch
08-30-2013, 15:32
My pack was next to my tent leaning against a tree. If my tent is big enough (depends on which one I take) its inside with me. Never had a problem/

moldy
08-30-2013, 15:53
When you are new to hiking the AT you don’t know what’s important. It all plays to just how much of a bear safety fanatic you want to be. If put on a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 is a true fanatic. A hiker who is a 8 will hang his pack. So my opinion is that most experienced hikers on the AT are a 3. They will hang their food if they are in bear country and there are warning signs about recent bear activity and put the pack in the tent.

FarmerChef
08-30-2013, 16:06
I sleep with mine in my tent if I'm not using it as the food bag for hanging. Only problems I've ever had have been with mice and squirrels. Thankfully no chew holes in my pack and definitely no bear claw marks ;)

Hill Ape
08-30-2013, 16:07
after that first adrenaline rush, being around a black bear is kind of interesting. i talk to them. i hang my food bag, mostly just out of habit, as i do it in winter as well. my pack is in the vestibule

Malto
08-30-2013, 16:15
It is stuffed in my clothing stuff sack and used as a pillow.

Another Kevin
08-30-2013, 16:37
When you are new to hiking the AT you don’t know what’s important. It all plays to just how much of a bear safety fanatic you want to be. If put on a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 is a true fanatic. A hiker who is a 8 will hang his pack. So my opinion is that most experienced hikers on the AT are a 3. They will hang their food if they are in bear country and there are warning signs about recent bear activity and put the pack in the tent.

You need to be about an 8 in grizzly country, and a 3 will do fine in black bear country (with a few exceptional spots like the Eastern High Peaks of the Adirondacks, where they have genius bears). In black bear country, I don't worry about food scents on my clothing or backpack unless I've actually spilt food on them.

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 17:03
It's not the worst idea to separate you pack from where you sleep in Grizz country. I don't do it in just B Bear areas though. I usually have it under my legs for added insulation or padding under a trap or cowboying. Never had a problem with bears when doing this. I keep my pack clean though. Wash it every few wks as I hike. As an ULer I was shocked to realize how much additional weight my backpack could absorb from trail grime, sweat, rain, etc. I currently prevent that to some extent by switching to cuben packs or applying WP/DWR to my other fabric packs.

Catnip514
08-30-2013, 17:21
I've laid mine under a poncho resting against a tree, stuck it under the vestibule section of my tent, and I have slept in a tent with all my hiking partners packs before. (I like to sleep alone) I never really thought about it all that much. If you are really nervous about bears hang it with your bear bag but I really can't see the reason to bother.

Drybones
08-30-2013, 17:25
I hang my pack on one of the hiking poles that support my tent.

swjohnsey
08-30-2013, 21:45
If you pack properly your pack is empty at night. Put it under your feet.

Big Dawg
08-31-2013, 00:21
My pack and food bag stay with me in my tent. Never had a problem.

BirdBrain
08-31-2013, 00:21
My pack is in the vestibule of the rain fly. Not going to say where I hide the food. It is a secret.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2013, 03:32

same here......

rocketsocks
08-31-2013, 04:03
say me same

mrcoffeect
08-31-2013, 06:35
My pack is my pillow. Bears don't need pillows.

+1 this right here

Theosus
08-31-2013, 08:17
Hammock Hanger here... I always have the pack right under my hammock, or hung a few inches off the ground on the tree at the hammock exit, if I think it might get wet. It's mostly empty at night any way. I've never had a problem with critters. On our last trip we had some people hang their food incorrectly and a coon or squirrel shredded their food bag, so i know the little critters were around.

Old Hiker
08-31-2013, 08:23
If it's going to rain or raining, I have my pack in the vestibule. If not, I have a length of paracord with a big 'biner on it. I tie the cord at or about eye level and clip my pack to it so it's handy when I have to dig into it. Pack cover over it at night.

When using my hammock, it's underneath my hammock on a piece of Tyvek.

Never have had a problem with anything chewing into my pack at night, regardless of where I have it.

mtnkngxt
08-31-2013, 08:25
Keep it in my tent. If I'm in an area that doesn't have problem bears, I'll sleep with my food bag as well.

rusty bumper
08-31-2013, 08:32
My food bag hangs from a tree branch and my pack is in the tent serving as a leg and foot pad under my sleeping bag.

Nooga
08-31-2013, 10:35

Food bag in tent = mice. Nothing like waking up a 4 am with a mouse in the tent. No more sleep for that night. Now have a duck tape patch on netting. Hang food bag.

hikerboy57
08-31-2013, 10:57
i use the opsak odor proof bags inside my food bag for the past few years with no mice issues in my tent or pack

Weather-man
08-31-2013, 11:42
Pack stays with me under the vestibule if using a tent or under the tarp and I hang my food out of courtesy when on the AT. It seems to be the norm on the AT and I make the effort to play well with others.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2013, 16:30
Food bag in tent = mice. .

hmmmm. i always sleep with my food in my tent. 5 thru-hikes worth. Never had a mouse in my tent

Nooga
08-31-2013, 16:33
hmmmm. i always sleep with my food in my tent. 5 thru-hikes worth. Never had a mouse in my tent

Apparently the mice are afraid of you?

MuddyWaters
08-31-2013, 17:07
Ive had mouse in tent with no food in it . No sooner had I laid down than the little buggar was on my shoulder.

Tenting near a shelter , where the mice were accustomed to finding food was the problem.
That and not zipping the zippers together completely.

with pack under sleeping pad, mice cant get to it to eat the salty material btw when sleeping in a shelter. Obviously wouldnt work for heavy framed packs.

wornoutboots
09-01-2013, 10:06
in my vestibule

WalksInDark
09-01-2013, 11:48
Had my day pack hung off of my hammock strap, Woke up in the morning to find that a mouse had chewed through the day pack pocket where I normally put my empty power bar warps.

Now, I put the empty wraps into my pants pockets and zip my pants into my hammock at night.

Slo-go'en
09-01-2013, 12:20
Now, I put the empty wraps into my pants pockets and zip my pants into my hammock at night.

I put my empty wraps in the trash bag and hang it with my food. Unless I forget, which is why there isn't much to hold my water bottles in the mesh side pockets anymore. (which is where I stuff the wrappers during the day...)

Use the pack as a pillow? I wouldn't be able to stand the stench :) My pack gets hung from a near-by tree branch with the pack cover on if I'm tenting. Although my new Trekker Skyscape tent has a double vestabule, so I've been putting the pack under the one on the side which doesn't open.

Zippy Morocco
09-02-2013, 11:06
My pack becomes part of my sleep system. I use a torso length pad and rest my feet on the pack.

09-02-2013, 11:31
in my vestibule, Nemo OBI 2 has side entry, and a nice big vestibule. Proper waste management also may help, all empty packets, especially drink mix powders put the empty into a zip-lock bag. What happens is little bits of stuff fall out and if you have a nice waist belt with a nice pocket on your pack you tend to put drink packets and candie bars in these pockest, you also put the wrappers in the pocket and an accumulation of little bits of food attract rodents and such. better to have them in you vestibule vs eat a hole in your tent! have fun.