PDA

View Full Version : Most bombproof adjustable trekking poles?

Paddlefoot
09-01-2013, 00:01
I used a pair of Leki AS Summits on my summer's thru hike of the Colorado Trail. Both poles broke (the screw in the upper expander) toward the end of the hike - luckily at 145cm, the length I use them at.

Leki immediately sent me new mid-sections when I informed them of the problem, but I am a little leery of taking them on a longer hike. The poles were used at the proper length, never extended past 145 while hiking, but I was surprised that how small that screw is.

Any tips on beefier poles. I'm a big guy (6'8" 230 lbs.), so I'm probably pretty tough on this type of equipment.

moytoy
09-01-2013, 03:09
I really don't have any input on bombproof poles. I use Exped UL alpine 125 and haven't had any breakage but I weigh 180 max. I'm wondering if you didn't over tighten the twist lock. Just a thought. One of the reasons I like the Exped poles is the ridge twist lock system. I don't need to over tighten the lock because there is a ridge that holds the inner pole from slipping.

Maui Rhino
09-01-2013, 06:37
I'm also a big guy at 6'2", 250# and I tend to be hard on gear. My hiking stick of choice is the Cabelas Alaskan Guide (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alaskan-Guide-Hiking-Staff/732512.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dhiking%2Bstick%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSea rch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=hiking+stick&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products)Hiking staff. It is a twist lock, which is not the most recommended on this site, but it works well for me. I really like the wooden knob for the handle. I find it much more comfortable than the usual handle designs. I tend to rest my palm on top of the pole, cupping the knob, and it swings easily. I broke the tip on one, but still continue to use it 2 years later. That particular pole was one that my wife gave me several years ago. I used it for a couple of months, and lost it on Haleakala volcano when I had it strapped to my pack. 4 1/2 years later, I found it again. I had to sand and refinish the wooden knob, but otherwise it was fine, including the foam handle. The tip broke after another year of hard use, but I am impressed, considering the high UV exposre it had laying in the sun at 8000' in Hawaii for more than 4 years. Its mate that didn't lay in the sun is still going strong, I expect to get several more years of use out of both of them. I also find the camera mount under the knob to be quite handy. One bummer is that Cabelas does not sell them as a pair....you have to buy two.

chiefiepoo
09-01-2013, 07:25
I have a pair of Leki photo sierra poles and have had similar difficulties locking up at 115 125 mm range. One one occasion I was able to free the pole up without using tools but then it would not lock at any position. One thing i have stopped doing is to strike the pole into the ground forcefully when stopping for a break or the end of the day so it will stand on its' own. You know, shove it into the ground so you don't have to bend over to pick it up. My thinking is that the force of the down stroke exceeds the limitations of the hardware. Since I have quit doing that I've had no recent problems.

garlic08
09-01-2013, 08:13
The Black Diamond flick locks are the best pole joint around, though they're not perfect and need adjusting once in a great while. If you use twist lock joints, just count on them loosening and breaking more often.

jeffmeh
09-01-2013, 08:39
I would take a serious look at the Black Diamond Contour Elliptics.

jeffmeh
09-01-2013, 08:43
Best price I could find on the Contour Elliptics Carbon poles. http://www.sunnysports.com/p-bkdcecn/black-diamond-contour-elliptic-carbon-poles-pair?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=BKDCECN

msupple
09-01-2013, 09:34
I would take a serious look at the Black Diamond Contour Elliptics. Very Sturdy poles!

Shonryu
09-09-2013, 02:40
Leki thermolite antishock. My favorite even over my corklite antishock.

Mr Breeze
09-09-2013, 04:15
I used a pair of the Black Diamond Contour Shock Elliptic Poles on my thru hike last year. Had to replace the tips in Harpers Ferry. Other than that, they were outstanding.

Ktaadn
09-09-2013, 15:51
I would take a serious look at the Black Diamond Contour Elliptics.

I own these as well and have been using them for about 5 years. I have put a lot of torque on them at times and even thought that they would have broken, but they are still going strong.