PDA

View Full Version : best backpack for back/neck support

xalex
09-01-2013, 03:07
Please move this thread if i've posted it in the wrong place. but what would be the best backpack for someone struggling maintaining a good posture carrying 30+ pounds of gear??? does anyone have any advice or experience in this arena? :-?

leaftye
09-01-2013, 06:19
Your back and neck will thank you for reducing your load and getting your ankles and feet in really good shape. Both together will help keep your torso and neck upright, which I've found is key to reducing soreness.

bert304
09-01-2013, 07:23
You have to go to an store and try on different backpacks until you find one that fits. What fits one person well does not fit the next person at all.

garlic08
09-01-2013, 08:14
Your back and neck will thank you for reducing your load and getting your ankles and feet in really good shape. Both together will help keep your torso and neck upright, which I've found is key to reducing soreness.

You beat me to it. I was going to say, "A very small one!"

kayak karl
09-01-2013, 08:23
if you have posture problems do the exercises your doc asked you to do. always remember to stand straight even as the day goes on. tryt to keep weight below 30.

kneeling one arm row is good (third down)
http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/back/

Rocket Jones
09-01-2013, 08:57
Core exercises, like planks. Strengthen the iliotibial band on both sides. Ankle, knee and hip mobility and strengthening. Those will all help with what you want, over and above the excellent advice above about a correctly fitted pack and going as light as possible.

MuddyWaters
09-01-2013, 09:05
backpacks dont provide back or neck support.

With most of the load on the hips, I dont know what you are going after.

Its not possible to maintain"posture" going uphill, leaning forward, and watching the ground for where you step.

With any load you have to lean forward to bring your center of mass over your lower body so you are balanced and dont fall over.

Lower loads, and packs that ride closer to the back, make this better

Slo-go'en
09-01-2013, 11:31
Internal frame packs which are the norm today aren't much good with loads which consistantly exceed 30 pounds.
For 30+ loads use an external aluminum frame pack.
For 45+ loads use a wood pack board.

But really, getting the load lighter is the best thing to do. Unless you just need to lug a whole lot of crap in for a base camp, then use the external frame.

BFI
09-01-2013, 16:01
Core exercises, like planks. Strengthen the iliotibial band on both sides. Ankle, knee and hip mobility and strengthening. Those will all help with what you want, over and above the excellent advice above about a correctly fitted pack and going as light as possible.
Go to your local gym and ask for some specific back, neck, stomach, & torso (core) strengthening exercises. Then follow a regimented schedule for doing them without overdoing. I’ve never heard anyone say that they were Too strong for the A.T.

Dogwood
09-01-2013, 16:34
As others are saying, if you're struggling to maintain good posture that probably shouldn't be addressed solely by backpack choice. Backpack type probably has little to do with your posture when compare to other factors. I would suggest, in combination with what's already been shared, to NOT opt for a ruck sack type(frameless) backpack.

k2basecamp
09-01-2013, 16:44
Get an alpenlite external frame pack.