PDA

View Full Version : the lastest version of a fluid list

Hill Ape
09-01-2013, 13:45
This is my current gear list, pretty much as is. Welcome all comments, even the sarcastic ones. Weight is always a consideration, but I am no gram counter. If anything is glaringly missing, or simply a waste of space and weight, please advise. I'm not super precise on the weights, they are as advertised rounded up the ounce. Same with price, many have fluctuated since I bought most of this, and when possible I buy on sale, not reflected here.

MSRP Ounces
Keen Targhee II Mid ****ake 11 120 36
Granite Gear Crown R M 200 34
Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trek 250 24
Enlightened RevelationX 20* 215 24
Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad R Corn 165 16
Leki Corklite Aergon 140 17
Packa Poncho #1 Green M 120 13

Platypus Big Zip 2 35 6
Evernew Ti UL Pot #3 ECA253 65 5
SnowPeak Giga Manual 40 4
SnowPeak 110 Fuel 5 4
SnowPeak Ti 450 Single Mug 30 3
Leatherman Squirt S4 Blue 20 2
CRKT Mini Bowie 40 2
Petzl Tikka XP 2 LED 40 3
Light My FireSteel 2 Scout 15
Light My Fire Ti Spork 15
P-51 can opener 1
Adventure Medical Kit UL .7 25
Aqua Mira Tabs 24 15
JetScream Whistle Orange 7
StarFlash Signal Mirror 10
Silva Explorer 3 Compass 20
Dr Bronners Eucalyptus 5
Bens Max 100% Deet 5
Purell Sanitizer 5
Tom's Toothbrush Med 5
Bic lighter 1
TP and or Baby Wipes 2
50' paracord Orange 5
AT PocketProfile Maps 85

MH Mesa Crossing Khaki 32x10 50 6
SWl Men's Micro T M White 50 4
FF Daybreak Vest M Moss 170 6
MH Monkey Man M Black 150 15
MH Mesa Pants 32x30 Khaki 45 9
SW Mid LS Crew Top M Black 85 10
SW Mid Bottom M Black 85 10
SW Cuffed Beanie Black 30
SW Liner Gloves M Black 25
Darn Tough 1/4 Hike Sock 20x2
SuperFeet Green 40
Crocs Baya Slides 11 Black 25
Buff Wool Black 20
Bandana White 3x2
Fujifilm X20

weights as advertised. 25-30 lb total with food and water. all prices retail 2012, rounded up
Food ~5000 calories per day, ~ 2lb per day. average of 4 days food between resupply
Water one liter weighs 2.25 lb

~$3000 for gear, prehike
~$5000 for on trail
Planning Resources
15 MPD average http://theatguide.com/PlanNobo2010-15.html
mail drops/hostels, mail drops no longer necessary, but good to know http://www.soruck.net/at/
hostels http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?533-Hostels-and-Lodging-along-the-Appalachian-Trail
guide book david miller's the AT guide, loose leaf edition
mid-april early may start for a '15 NOBO GAME

Hill Ape
09-01-2013, 13:54
hmm, sorry about the price and weight columns, they were nice indented in the preview

hikerboy57
09-01-2013, 14:05
hmm, sorry about the price and weight columns, they were nice indented in the preview I see film listed but not a camera. The hologram on a debit card can be used as a signal mirror

hikerboy57
09-01-2013, 14:11
you could probably pare down your first aid kit. i just carry a half dozen large patch style bandaids, 6 second skin blister pads, moleskin, vitamin i,and small tube of neosporin.knife- bring the smallest you can find, you can even get away with a single edge razor blade.the leatherman is probably overkill.whats the can opener for?

capehiker
09-01-2013, 14:35
Since you have the Leatherman w/ knife, think about leaving the Bowie knife at home. Also, are you taking the AT Guide with you or just the pocket maps? Lastly, don't forget the weight of misc items such as charging cables, stuff sacks, food bag, and pack liners (I know you have the Packa but consider a liner as well). Those little things add up.

Hill Ape
09-01-2013, 15:50
x20 is a digital camera, fujifilm is the manufacturer. this item stays, photography is as a big a hobby as hiking. its my newest toy, and i'm still playing with it, when the new wears off, maybe i'll take my old canon elph, smaller and lighter but nowhere near the quality.

first aid and survival 10, habit more than anything. other than moleskin, a couple bandaids, alcohol wipe, and a dab of neosporin, i've never used any of it. its already been gone through. grams like that, i'll let the trail decide. p51 is a finger opener, weighs less than a gram. personally i think leatherman should intergrate one into the micra. it lives in the first aid pouch. so does the mirror, an item i'd have no problem with dropping, same with the flint striker. i also carry a bic

the crkt is a bowie shaped blade, but it is a miniature neck knife. 2 ounces. there are two knives on this list, if i dropped one it would be the crkt and keep the leatherman (a discontinued version of the micra size) same weight as the "bowie" at two ounces.

pack liner and stuff sacks are not on this list. granite gear e-sil m liner and a couple of sil sacks for clothes and food

loose leaf guide and map, only for the section i'm in. swapped by mail. really i don't need either until north of shenandoah

total weight, with food and water, i don't like to go above 30lb

this rig is what i use, call them sections or shake downs or just everytime i'm not working for 2-3 days in a row. i've hiked this rig (only difference with a FF 40*) from springer to fontana without thinking about sawing down the toothbrush

shi take.... censor bots? seriously?

thanks for the feedback. it comforts me that the suggestions so far are minor nit-picks i've already thought about.

two items that may get swapped by mail, the fleece and the vest. i really hate being cold, thats why i'm leaning to a later start. but those two are a little over a pound right there, soon as i think its too warm, they go back home.

Slo-go'en
09-01-2013, 15:54
I discoverd the pocketprofile maps this year on my 500 mile section hike last spring and thier great. Pretty much all the info you actually need at a reasonable price and very light. I found one at a shelter early on and then started to buy them as I needed new sections along the way.

Personally, I don't do skin out weights, just what goes into the pack. If you go that way, the total weight will seem more reasonable. Food and water is highly variable, so I don't count that in either, but it is in the back of my mind as to how heavy the pack will eventually be.

You probably aren't going to need the P-51 or signal mirror, but heck they don't weigh much. Nail clippers and a small pair of sissors might be more useful. A small locking blade pocket knife is usually more useful then a leatherman tool.

I like to carry a long sleeve thermal top and long johns - the ligthest weight possible. That's just enough to make all the difference in the world on a chilly night. Maybe you have those, I just don't know all the specific brand names for various clothing items. There are just too many to keep track of.

You might want to consider a digital camara. Oh wait a mintue, the Fujifilm X20 is a high end digital camara - never mind! I thought it might be one of those disposable film camaras...

hikerboy57
09-01-2013, 16:32
looks pretty good to me.
i like to carry 3 pair of socks. one always stays dry for camp/sleep. and the other two to alternate.

swjohnsey
09-02-2013, 19:12
You are not likely to get 5,000 calories out of 2 lbs of food.

bobp
09-02-2013, 19:33
You are not likely to get 5,000 Calories out of 2 lbs of food.

If you can carry pure carbohydrate or protein, 2 lbs should give you almost 4100 Calories ( think hardtack). Fat doubles that, so 2 lbs of lard would give you nearly 8200 Calories. Samoa Girl Scout cookies will give you around 4500 Calories in 2 lbs (nertz!). Now, if you want balanced nutrition in hat 5000 Calories, it will be more difficult to achieve, since one needs to go high on fat to attain the 5000 Calorie mark. But if you are willing to shove any old thing down your gullet, you can get 5K in less than 2 lbs. For 5K, butter cookies are your friend....

q-tip
09-03-2013, 07:46
looks about right to me--I have a similar list for U/L, Summer and 3-seaon lightweight, PM me if you think it might help-has weights and costs....

Drybones
09-03-2013, 08:07
Your list looks good. You'll probably find after a few weeks you have a few items you never use and will discard them, but nothing major. Like HB, I recommend three pairs of socks to keep the feet as healthy as possible.

The Cleaner
09-03-2013, 08:11
Got wool? I've gone to wearing a merino wool short sleeve tee in warm months and LS for cooler months. Last weekend a guy out on his 1st day & night was complaining about the stink factor only after wearing a synthetic shirt 1 day. I had my merino tee soaked after 3 hours hiking, let it dry in the sun and could still smell the Ivory Snow it was washed in. As for warmth, when wearing any synthetic baselayer I feel chilled as soon as I stop, where as with wool even if partially wet I still feel warm and just put something on over it and it will dry in a while depending on outside temp. Saves taking something off and putting on a wet shirt next AM...

The Cleaner
09-03-2013, 08:14
Excuse my post I guess SW is Smart Wool brand ? Good choice...

Venchka
09-03-2013, 11:42
You are not likely to get 5,000 calories out of 2 lbs of food.

Amen! Butter or lard are the only way to carry 5,000 calories and stay under 2 pounds per day. 1 pound 9 ounces of butter = 5,000 calories. 5,000 calories per day on the trail is an Internet Myth!