PDA

View Full Version : Glastonbury Shelter Replacement

Cosmo
08-08-2005, 08:01
Below is the schedule from the GMC outlining the project to replace the ageing Glastonbury Shelter in S.Vt. Looks like a fun and exciting project on arguably one of the best shelter sites on the AT/LT. I'll cross post this on the Shelter forum as well.

Cosmo

Hello everyone,
The moment you have been waiting for is here. The much awaited work schedule for the Glastenbury Tower and Goddard Shelter work is as follows:

Aug 13/14/15: with Matt- shelter destruction
Aug 17/18: Materials Prep in Shaftsbury **We need LOTS of volunteers for this**
Aug 18: late afternoon-Helicopter briefing
Aug 19: fly in
Aug 20: fly-in rain date OR privy, tower, foundation
Aug 21/22: with Matt, Paul Austin and the Tobiasons- tower, privy, foundation (unless it is done)
Aug 27/28: Foundation (unless it is done), tower
Aug 31-sept 5: with Matt- tower, campsite destruction
Sept 7-9: with Matt- tower, campsite destruction
Sept 10/11: Shelter building weekend with the Tobiasons, wrap up tower, summit trail work

Matt Wels (who some of you remember from the Lamoille Bridge project) will be the project manager and will be up there during times when volunteers are working. The Volunteer Long Trail Patrol will also be working up there for 3 weeks.
Please come on down and join us for this exciting project. If you know that you will be coming, please RSVP so we know what resources we have.
If you have any questions, please contact me.
Hope to see you there!
Kate

Kate Fish
GMC Southern Field Assistant
802-244-7037 x 32
802-548-8650
[email protected]

Minerva
08-08-2005, 13:52
Cosmo,
There is no "Glastonbury Shelter". It's Goddard Shelter on Glastenbury Mountain.
Cindy

Sleepy the Arab
08-08-2005, 22:43
Well, it's finally happened. The planned destruction and replacement of a shelter I really liked. It was old, had all those weathered logs...I'm talking character I guess. And now to be torn down to be replaced by some prefab monster like Churchill Scott, or that thing by Stratton pond.

Crud. I'm starting to sound like Earl Shaffer.

Hammock Hanger
08-09-2005, 08:16
Was it really in need of being replaced?? When I was there in 2001 it appeared to be a pretty nice. somewhat large shelter. I did not stay there after cooking dinner but to my memory it wasn't that bad. Now Oven Bake Knob shelter... there is a shelter in need of replacement.

Blue Jay
08-09-2005, 10:24
Well, it's finally happened. The planned destruction and replacement of a shelter I really liked. It was old, had all those weathered logs...I'm talking character I guess. And now to be torn down to be replaced by some prefab monster like Churchill Scott, or that thing by Stratton pond.

Crud. I'm starting to sound like Earl Shaffer.

I agree with you 100%. I'm also puzzled by the tower, campsite destruction. Hopefully it's not what it sounds like. I spent a night there last winter and the roof didn't leak althought it didn't rain very hard. I appreciate all the work they do in Vermont, however this is very sad.

Minerva
08-09-2005, 13:04
This 1985 shelter is being replaced due to a serious case of wood rot. The tower is being renovated not torn down. If you like the cool mountain breezes come and be a part of the volunteer effort to get both structures back into shape for all hikers to enjoy. Contact Kate at the email in the first post of this thread for details on how you can help.
Cindy

Tim Rich
08-09-2005, 13:53
This 1985 shelter is being replaced due to a serious case of wood rot. The tower is being renovated not torn down. If you like the cool mountain breezes come and be a part of the volunteer effort to get both structures back into shape for all hikers to enjoy. Contact Kate at the email in the first post of this thread for details on how you can help.
Cindy

Another note: The campsite that's being destroyed is adjacent and above the spring near the shelter, so they're doing it to protect the water source.