PDA

View Full Version : Be a tester for Osprey

cathyss2000
09-01-2013, 18:03
My daughter and husband are thru hiking, currently in Andover, ME. My daughter loves her Osprey Kestrel backpack. I just found this on their website, too late for us but good deal for a 2014 thru hiker to get some good equipment. http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/join_our_test_team
Cathy

Trailweaver
09-02-2013, 02:20
That's what my husband would call "getting ice cream with your birthday cake!" Wish I could get that deal! Thanks for putting it up.

slbirdnerd
09-02-2013, 18:31
I love everything about Osprey packs, except I can't find one that fits me right. :(

evansprater
09-03-2013, 13:21
I just applied, thanks for posting!

No Directions
09-03-2013, 17:02
I'm surprised this offer is only available to thru hikers. I backpack about 300 miles a year and will spend about 30 nights in the woods this year. I believe I could evaluate a pack better than someone that may not have any backpacking experience and may bail out at Neels Gap.

Venchka
09-03-2013, 17:11
And if I were to attempt a Thru-Hike, I'm not entirely convinced that I would carry a phone.
I'll stick to the 2 packs that I have. I know they fit. I know they work. They ain't broke. No point in fixing them.

Wayne

magic_game03
09-03-2013, 22:23
I'm surprised this offer is only available to thru hikers. I backpack about 300 miles a year and will spend about 30 nights in the woods this year. I believe I could evaluate a pack better than someone that may not have any backpacking experience and may bail out at Neels Gap.

Sorry No Directions but your understanding of thru hiking is misguided. Maybe one day you will get to go on a thru hike and your mind will be blown. More over, 2100 miles of AT hiking wouldn't stand up to even a 1000 miles of PCT hiking. I will only use two kinds of bag, Osprey for hiking and Arcteryx for mountaineering. With enough hiking/climbing one day your pack will save your life.

No Directions
09-04-2013, 05:37
Sorry No Directions but your understanding of thru hiking is misguided. Maybe one day you will get to go on a thru hike and your mind will be blown. More over, 2100 miles of AT hiking wouldn't stand up to even a 1000 miles of PCT hiking. I will only use two kinds of bag, Osprey for hiking and Arcteryx for mountaineering. With enough hiking/climbing one day your pack will save your life.
I have been backpacking for nearly 50 years. I'm pretty sure I have figured out the role of the pack by now.

slbirdnerd
09-04-2013, 08:20

I think you missed No Directions' point: Clueless wannabe thru hiker takes a pack for free to evaluate and quits at Neel Gap. I agree a long-time section hiker would know a hell of a lot more than the drop out. :)

evansprater
09-04-2013, 11:59
I agree, I think Osprey has enough wit about them to only allow people with very convincing applications that detail a good amount of backpacking experience.

capehiker
09-04-2013, 23:10
I would imagine the selection process will entail a few more inquiries beyond the initial email. I'm curious as to how many testers they take. 25 per trail? I'm sure they will factor in injuries and drop outs.

Poedog
09-04-2013, 23:25
Back in the day this would have been a dream, when they were based out of Montrose. These days, I dunno.

Now if ULA or MLD had something similar...

Dogwood
09-05-2013, 02:14
I agree, I think Osprey has enough wit about them to only allow people with very convincing applications that detail a good amount of backpacking experience.

I would imagine the selection process will entail a few more inquiries beyond the initial email. I'm curious as to how many testers they take. 25 per trail? I'm sure they will factor in injuries and drop outs.

Back in the day this would have been a dream, when they were based out of Montrose. These days, I dunno.

Now if ULA or MLD had something similar...

It amazes me that some people think this offer is about getting a free pack in return for nothing as if Osprey is in the biz of mailing out free gear to all who ask or apply. Damn right they are going to want to qualify some things about potential pack donees before being given a pack. Osprey is going to want something in return too.

Marmaduke
09-10-2013, 12:05
I've got an osprey aether 70............ It's fantastic.

two isles
09-10-2013, 12:27
I used the Osprey 65 last year on the AT.
Unless something comes along in cuben that fits like this,
I won't be changing anytime soon!

Thanks for the link :)

Symba
09-10-2013, 12:41
I used the Osprey 65 last year on the AT.
Unless something comes along in cuben that fits like this,
I won't be changing anytime soon!

Thanks for the link :) Me too, I have an Osprey Atmos 65, love it. Only change i'd make would be to get rid of the two coinciding side zippers...I didn't use them. I may look into a smaller version, maybe the Ethos 46? Now I need to look at that link :D

Poedog
09-12-2013, 15:12
It amazes me that some people think this offer is about getting a free pack in return for nothing as if Osprey is in the biz of mailing out free gear to all who ask or apply. Damn right they are going to want to qualify some things about potential pack donees before being given a pack. Osprey is going to want something in return too.

Obviously they want something in return, as stated clearly in this sentence, "You must have the ability to communicate with us via email, photos and/or phone call check-ins as the trip progresses to give us updates on pack performance." It's not like they want your firstborn child.

I don't think anyone here thinks it's about just getting a "free pack in return for nothing as if Osprey is in the biz of mailing out free gear to all who ask or apply". We're not talking about welfare here.

Poedog
09-12-2013, 15:23

This post is hilarious. This must be the Whiteblaze "noise" I've heard you have to filter through.

Dogwood
09-12-2013, 15:36
Obviously they want something in return, as stated clearly in this sentence, "You must have the ability to communicate with us via email, photos and/or phone call check-ins as the trip progresses to give us updates on pack performance." It's not like they want your firstborn child.

I don't think anyone here thinks it's about just getting a "free pack in return for nothing as if Osprey is in the biz of mailing out free gear to all who ask or apply". We're not talking about welfare here.

So, I must be incorrect in noticing some people want things without having to earn them? You have wisely considered what Osprey wants in return and noted the qualifications of the type of donees Osprey would consider for in the field backpack evaluations. I would sincerely hope all do the same before applying.

Poedog
09-12-2013, 16:01
So, I must be incorrect in noticing some people want things without having to earn them?

On the contrary, you are completely correct in your observation. I just didn't see anyone who had posted on this thread that seemed to be under that assumption.

I am not applying, as I am comfortable and confident with my current pack(s) (ULA Circuit and GG Virga). But for a motivated newbie, or someone who is willing to go on a blind date with their gear during a thru, it could be good experience. Or a bad one.

annamagpie
09-16-2013, 08:25
Wow--thanks for posting this!