PDA

View Full Version : Vermont in October.

illabelle
09-01-2013, 19:53
We're planning to hike the section between N Adams, Massachusetts, and Danby, VT, about 76 miles in the first or second week of October. We expect that first and last days will be half air travel and half hiking, about 7 mpd each, with five full days of hiking between, roughly 12 mpd. I assume by this time the bugs are gone gone gone, and we'll have chilly temperatures, especially at night. We're really looking forward to the fall colors!

Don't be jealous, just put your boots on. There's always room on the trail for more! :D

Your advice please, and thank you very much!
1. NOBO or SOBO?
2. Carry 6 days of food, or resupply somewhere?
3. If resupply, we will try to combine it with a hostel/motel one night. Recommendations? (Prefer not to hitch if we can avoid it. Maybe there's a hostel that will pick us up???)
4. Which airport should we aim for?
5. Best way to travel between trail and airport?
6. And just for fun, "Do we really need to bring a tent?" :bse

Slo-go'en
09-01-2013, 20:21
The only effective resupply is at Manchester Center, which would be about half way. Green Mountian house (hostel) closes Sept 7th, so you'll have to hitch in, which isn't hard to do. However, there is an old road which leaves the trail a few miles before the highway and comes out at the edge of town. Up to you if you want to go back that way or skip a few miles and get back on at the Bromley ski area crossing. Lodging in Manchester Center during peak folage season could be pricey. Try not to get there on a weekend for sure. Rooms go for a stiff premium that time of year.

There is a bus from Boston to Williamstown, MA (right next N. Adams) if you time it right. You could go to Albany, NY or Burlington, VT but getting to Williamstown would be more difficult to arrange.

About the only way to get back out is via the bus at Williamstown and the only way to get there will be bribe someone to drive you or hitch. Thankfully, it's a straight shot down RT7.

I wouldn't bother with a tent.

Hopefully it will be pretty chilly at night. Hopefully it won't be too rainy.

illabelle
09-02-2013, 05:48
Thank you, Slo-go'en. Always appreciate hearing from someone familiar with the local area. You've made several good points and we'll certainly benefit from your knowledge.

Jeff
09-02-2013, 06:35
Green Mountain House Hostel in Manchester will be open in early October until the ALDHA Gathering.

illabelle
09-02-2013, 07:08
Green Mountain House Hostel in Manchester will be open in early October until the ALDHA Gathering.

Awesome! That fits nicely with our schedule. You'll probably get a call from us when we get our dates firmed up.

chiefiepoo
09-02-2013, 07:35
Another way out would be the Amtrak Vermonter from Rutland which looks to be about 23 miles n of Danby. The train leaves Rutland at 8am M-F and check the schedule for Sat / Sun. Rutland cab could come down a pick yo up the night before departure and you might arrange a 1 night stay at the hostel in Rutland which is about a block from Amtrak. Vermonter runs into NYC but there are connections en route to Boston, I think.

tiptoe
09-02-2013, 13:01
There is also bus service between Williamstown and NYC, I believe. Check Peter Pan Bus Lines. If you can't get this route to come up online, use the Live Chat to get info.
http://secure4.gatewayticketing.com/PeterPanBus/Transportation/ETickets.aspx?Merchant=tranweb&CategoryGroupExternalID=5&CategoryExternalID=1&__utma=204267281.373829811.1378141146.1378141146.1 378141146.1&__utmb=204267281.5.9.1378141239009&__utmc=204267281&__utmx=-&__utmz=204267281.1378141146.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|ut mccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=67554834

pettas
09-03-2013, 14:33
For what it's worth, the peak of the leaf season may be over by the second week in October. You'll still see lots of colors but maybe not in the abundance you're thinking of. Typically peak has been a bit earlier than that; think last week of September into the first week of October. Of course, nothing is set in stone since it's nature's call but that tends to be the case. Your situation may not follow in the same way. Either way, best of luck with your hike.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Slo-go'en
09-03-2013, 15:12
For what it's worth, the peak of the leaf season may be over by the second week in October. That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.
snapper

Southern Vermont usually lasts a bit into October. By Columbus Day weekend it's usually mostly over, at least farther north. But all it takes is one good rain storm with a lot of wind and it's over. It's not like that has happend much this year, right?

I'm already seeing leaves turn and fall off the trees here in Northen NH and that seems a bit early. I hope the season lingers a bit as I can't really get out for a week or two long trip until after Sept 28th and I hope that isn't too late.

Cookerhiker
09-09-2013, 09:23
I hope you experience better weather than I did hiking VT the same time last year. Rained 11 out of 12 days.

1azarus
09-09-2013, 09:41
I hope you experience better weather than I did hiking VT the same time last year. Rained 11 out of 12 days.

but only rained at night, right? ... i'll be hiking north from killington starting oct 18th and counting on good weather:sun! trying to convince myself that i prefer hiking after the leaves are partially down so the views are better. we'll see.

Cookerhiker
09-09-2013, 11:18
but only rained at night, right? ... i'll be hiking north from killington starting oct 18th and counting on good weather:sun! trying to convince myself that i prefer hiking after the leaves are partially down so the views are better. we'll see.

My hike was pre-ALDHA Gathering and I thought I heard that the weather improved by Oct. 18 - hope so!

illabelle
09-09-2013, 11:51
Thanks everybody for the input. We've settled on October 8-15 for our hike, SOBO from Wallingford to N. Adams, with an overnight stop at Green Mountain House Hostel. Looking forward to some sunshine, cool breezes, colorful leaves, happy birds, and smiling butterflies!

If it doesn't work out that way, then I guess we're looking forward to mud, sweat, fog, mice, and frost-resistant ticks. If we miss the fall colors in VT, I suppose we can just come home and enjoy them here. ;)
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsf6zkDdsyYKcD1IqFKmLRsGdNk3Z1F tW7fGw1IIAgLAkUsSDy