PDA

View Full Version : Maybe, we have more in common with other animals than sometimes are taught to ignore?

Dogwood
09-01-2013, 22:19
http://news.yahoo.com/why-wolves-howl-love-scientists-015113288--abc-news-tech.html

Perhaps, similar conditioning techniques used by the military in de humanizing other humans such as "the enemy", making it easier for your side's soldiers to kill the enemy, are being applied to those big bad ferocious heartless apex predatory animals that some humans want to get rid of? By demonizing what conflicts with one's self serving agenda, and getting others conditioned to defining it the same way, you can control behaviors and consequently attain self serving agendas. Hitler did it. But you don't have to go to pre WW II Germany to see it. It happens regularly right here in the U.S. Mix this with some fear and that's a lot of motivation a group, nation, agency, etc can leverage.

canoe
09-01-2013, 22:22
You think....what an epiphany

Lone Wolf
09-02-2013, 06:48
and this has what to do with the AT and hiking? 0:-?

illabelle
09-02-2013, 13:18
Interesting article, Dogwood. We just watched Lord of the Flies last night. I noticed how the boys started out in their school uniforms, and behaved in an orderly manner. Soon the jackets came off, then the shirts. Later the pants got cut into shorts, and then breechclothes - with a corresponding social degeneration. Last, that "veneer of civilization" peeled off and they ended up killing each other. How easy it is to kill people/animals once we characterize them as enemies. Many of us hikers feel a special kinship with the wild creatures, and would like to be part of their world.

Drybones
09-02-2013, 13:51
Interesting article, Dogwood. We just watched Lord of the Flies last night. I noticed how the boys started out in their school uniforms, and behaved in an orderly manner. Soon the jackets came off, then the shirts. Later the pants got cut into shorts, and then breechclothes - with a corresponding social degeneration. Last, that "veneer of civilization" peeled off and they ended up killing each other. How easy it is to kill people/animals once we characterize them as enemies. Many of us hikers feel a special kinship with the wild creatures, and would like to be part of their world.

People fear what they don't understand...and tend to believe anything written or on TV.

Dogwood
09-02-2013, 17:30
That's an excellent question LW. I think devaluing life, in all its forms, has a lot to do with hiking and and how hikers behave. When hikers or people lose that connection with nature and each other it can lead to all manner of abuse. I posted the link to hopefully get people to ponder that not only are different humans more connected than we are sometimes led to believe but we are possibly more connected to other living species than than we sometimes assume. When humans are made more aware of that connection I think they are more considerate and respectful of life.

Dogwood
09-02-2013, 17:40
We might also broaden our view of what this website is about. It is NOT just about the AT. It's about all things related to hiking. There are some(many?) here who've had hiking/outdoors experiences with things like wolves, mountain lions, grizzly bears, bison, redwood trees, etc. OR who would like to experience these things.

Lone Wolf
09-02-2013, 19:15
sorry dude. your animal philosophies ain't got nothin' to do with walkin' the AT

Malto
09-02-2013, 19:42
sorry dude. your animal philosophies ain't got nothin' to do with walkin' the AT

But animal philosophies have to do with animals. Animals are part of the AT. People walk the AT. Therefore animal philosophies have something tondo with walkin the AT.

just remember..... It ain't all about walkin!

bfayer
09-02-2013, 20:13
But animal philosophies have to do with animals. Animals are part of the AT. People walk the AT. Therefore animal philosophies have something tondo with walkin the AT.

just remember..... It ain't all about walkin!

Sorry I'm with LW on this one, and your logic has more in common with a bungee cord than anything else.

Drybones
09-02-2013, 20:23

Neither does 80% of what's on this site but it's still good reading, loosen up, some enjoy it, don't understand why you came back to this thread once you knew what it was about if you only want to read pure hiking talk.

Tri-Pod Bob
09-02-2013, 21:56
That's an excellent question LW. I think devaluing life, in all its forms, has a lot to do with hiking and and how hikers behave. When hikers or people lose that connection with nature and each other it can lead to all manner of abuse. I posted the link to hopefully get people to ponder that not only are different humans more connected than we are sometimes led to believe but we are possibly more connected to other living species than than we sometimes assume. When humans are made more aware of that connection I think they are more considerate and respectful of life.
I get it, Dogwood.......I choose this as my sig for a reason......................."Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect."
Chief Seattle

Dogwood
09-02-2013, 22:37
Here's something some of you might consider in its entirety. You have to watch the whole thing because it comes full circle and is not what it might at first seem.

The documentary I AM by Tom Shadyac

You got it Tri-Pod Bob. Be careful though. Some will fight you on it.

Gray Blazer
09-03-2013, 14:22
I heard the military is breeding Big Foots to be super soldiers. Talk about tangling the web.

moytoy
09-03-2013, 16:24
I heard the military is breeding Big Foots to be super soldiers. Talk about tangling the web.
I too thought of Big Foot when I saw the OP. We must be drinking out of the same stagnant pond:)

Gray Blazer
09-04-2013, 10:03
I too thought of Big Foot when I saw the OP. We must be drinking out of the same stagnant pond:)

Have you seen all those black helicopters in the ONF?