PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Thruhike: my gear, what I changed and what I learned

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 09:54
I just completed a thru hike on August 26th, 2013. I used Whiteblaze so much when researching for the hike. It was a site that I visited daily. I remember a successful 2012 thru hiker posting a review of his gear and strategies for his hike. I found that very helpful, so I decided to do the same thing for any future thru hikers.

Before you read what I wrote below, keep in mind that I was not obsessed with weight. This is for hikers who have an open mind. This is what worked for me, not what works for everyone. Hike your own hike.

Height: 5' 11"
Weight at start: 165 (I gained 11 pounds before the hike on purpose)
Weight at end: 143

Start: Approach Trail on March 13
End: Katahdin on August 26
Days: 168
Avg Miles per day: 13
Number of zero days: 15

Trail name: Salad Days

Here is my gear list I started my hike with:

Pack/Stuff Sacs:
Backpack - Osprey Atmos 65L
Clothe bag - Sea to Summit 8L Ultra Sil
Food/Bear bag - Zpacks Roll top Blast Food Bag
Misc stuff sack - Sea to Summit 2L Ultra Sil
Sleeping bag stuff sac - Zpacks Medium Roll Top Dry Bag

Sleep System:
REI Igneo, Long, 19F
Therm-a-rest NeoAir X-light
Pillow - Cocoon Hyperlite
Sleeping Bag Liner - Sea to Summit Reactor
Tent - Eureka Solitaire
4x Stakes - MSR Groudhogs
Tent Tarp - Tyvec Ground Sheet

Cook System:
Jetboil - Sol
Fuel - Jetboil 100g
Utensil - Sea to Summit Alpha Spork
Towel - Bandana
Water Purifier - Sawyer Squeeze
Water Fetch Bag - Platypus 34oz
32oz Nalgene
2L Camelback Bladder

Clothes:
Base Layer Top - REI Midweight Long Sleeve
Base Layer Bottom - REI Midweight Long Johns
1x Underwear (to sleep in)
3x Smartwool Socks
Middle Layer Top - Mountain Hardwear Zip Up
Outer Layer - Patagonia Nano Puff Hoodie
Rain Jacket - Frogg Toggs
Rain Pants - Showers Pass
Gaiters - Black Diamond GTX
Shoes - Brooks Cascadia 8 w/Super Feet
Shorts - Nylon running shorts
Pants - Columbia zip offs
Hat - Smartwool beanie
Gloves - Cheap Mil-spec

Misc:
Knife - Leatherman Juice
Black Diamond Head Lamp
REI Backpack Rain Cover
First Aid Kit
Soap - Brommer's 2oz
Bear Bag Rope - 50ft Parachute chord
1x Carabiner
Trekking Poles - Black Diamond Z-Poles
iPhone 4S
Camp towel - Zpacks Lightload Towel
Pen and Notepad
AWOL's AT Guide
Sunglasses - Smith Precept
Zagg 6000 mha Battery pack (I loved this and carried it the entire trip, it was much better than a solar panel)

I had many pack strip downs while on the hike. Just about every 500 miles, I would reevaluate what I was carrying.

Here is what I dropped or replaced:

My pack lasted the entire hike. The zippers on my hip belt wore out though. I was unable to close them. I did ditch the brain (top cover) of my pack in Vermont. I would purchase another Osprey for a long hike. The suspension alone was worth the extra weight over the UL packs, in my opinion.

My Sawyer Squeeze froze the second night (my fault) and then a bag ripped. In Neal's Gap, I switched to Aquamira Drops for the rest of the trip. I did have a pump filter sent to me for Pennsylvania, because I heard the water can be untrustworthy. There was never a time that I needed to use the pump filter though. That is to say, I had a lot of rain while I was in PA and I started mid-March.

My Zpacks bags lasted the entire trip, but they started to fray on the roll top part. I would purchase them again if I were to do another long distance trip.

I swapped out my Winter bag for my Summer bag in Waynesboro, VA. We had a cool Spring this year. I still had nights that went below freezing temps well into Virginia. I purchased a 45 degree Marmot bag. I shortly sent back my sleeping bag liner. I used the liner for warmth and keeping my down bag clean. I didn't need the extra warmth anymore and my summer bag is synthetic, so I could wash it in town if I wanted to (although I never did, and it stinks).

I carried my pillow the entire way. I tried my clothe bag for a pillow a few times but hated it. I didn't mind the few grams of weight for comfort at night.

My Tyvec ground sheet worked great until around Vermont. It became so soft that it started to hold water when it rained. I could wring it out in the morning. If I were to do another long trip, I'd have a new ground sheet mailed to me halfway through the hike.

My tent performed great. Most hikers who owned the same tent hated it. You cannot sit up in it. I am 5' 11" and didn't seem to have an issue with its size. It cost me $80 and weighed just over 2 pounds. I cannot complain.

I loved my Jetboil. I would cook, eat and cleanup before some hikers finished cooking. I did need to replace it in Lincoln, NH because the threads on the stove stripped.

I ditched my Nalgene bottle in Vermont. I didn't use it often enough.

Clothes:
I carried my base layers the entire hike.
I always hiked with compression underwear on. If I didn't, I would get chaffing (I'm a skinny guy too).
I sent home my Nanopuff jacket in Waynesboro
My Frogg Togg jacket and pants didn't last. They ripped within the first 100 miles. I replaced the jacket for a Patagonia H2no and had Shower Pass rain pants sent to me. I sent home the rain pants in Virginia. I carried the rain jacket the whole way.
I sent home my gaiters at Neal's Gap. I never wore them. Dirty Girl gaiters (or a similar style) are the only thing I would recommend for the AT.
I went through 3 pairs of Brooks Cascadia 8 shoes. One pair went over 1200 miles. Amazing.
I sent home my zip off pants in North Carolina. I hiked in shorts every day and put my base layer pants on in camp. If it was really cold, I'd wear my rain pants.
I carried my beanie the entire trip although I sent my gloves home in Virginia.

I sent home my Leatherman in Virginia. I purchased a cheap, light box cutter and still only used it a few times.

I ditched my soap. I never used it.

I snapped one of my Z-poles in Pennsylvania. Those rocks are brutal. Black Diamond allowed me to purchase a new pair for 40% off their lowest retail price. I purchased new BD poles and had them sent home. I purchased Leki poles in New Jersey and saved the new BD poles for another hike.

I sent home my camp towel. I used my bandana for any cleaning.

I sent home my sunglasses in Vermont. I had a few days when I wished I had them, but I did not miss them.

I purchased an emergency blanket somewhere in Georgia. It was the best purchase, especially once I reached the North. There were a few nights in Maine that got down into the mid 40's. I only had my Summer bag with me. I laid out the emergency blanket inside my sleeping bag and slept comfortably the entire night.

Resupplying was the biggest adjustment for me. The first four resupplies, I spent about an hour in the grocery store and then an hour tearing apart the food packaging, repacking it all and then stuffing it all back into my pack. By the end of the hike, I was in the store for 15 minutes and was packed up in another 15 minutes. I slowly learned how much I needed to eat, what I liked and what was easy to cook. I call myself a lazy hiker once in camp. I want to be eating in less than 15 minutes after setting up my tent. I would buy food that would help with my laziness.
I am also the type of hiker to snack a lot. I could never eat large amounts of food at once. I could eat a regular meal and then eat another one an hour later. Because of this, I would pack snacks in my hip belt pocket so I could walk and eat. I always ate on flat ground or downhills.
I always tried to purchase food that was already in a ziplock bag. For example, a lot of bit size candy now comes in 16oz bags with a zip top.

Here is an average 4 day resupply for me:

4x Poptarts (Smores tend not to grumble as easily)
4x Carnation Instant Breakfast
1x Quart ziplock of dry milk (I always tried to find Nido, but the further North I got, the harder it was to find)
6x Snickers
2x box of cookies or bars (Fignewtons, Chocolate/Coconut Bars, Oreos)
1x box of Cheezits (I never got sick of them)
1x Candy (I became hooked on Hersey Almond bites)
10x Tortillas
1x 8 oz jar of Nutritious peanut butter
6x Thomas bagels (I would step on them so I could fit three in one quart size ziplock bag. Thomas bagels seemed to last the longest.)
6x Easy Mac
2x Tuna packs
4x Ramen
2x Instant mashed potatoes
1x Uncle Ben's rice side
1x 16 oz pack of Ravioli

At the beginning of the hike, I thought I would make coffee every morning and drink tea or hot chocolate at night. That happened about twice and I became lazy.

Here is some advice that was passed down to me:

Wear liner socks!!! I wore one pair of Injinji toe socks the entire hike. They lasted the whole hike with no holes. Amazing. I also went the entire hike without a single blister. No joke. I read a book called Fixing Your Feet before the hike. I'd recommend it to any long distance hiker or runner.

If there is a view, waterfall, tower, etc within 0.5 miles off the trail, go see it. An extra mile might seem annoying, but there are some really interesting things not far off the trail.

Always eat the tastiest thing in your food bag first. Then, you'll always be eating the best thing.

Don't be afraid to change your plans, even halfway through your day. For example, the group I was with planned to hike 17 miles one day. 4 miles into the day, we met a local that offered to drive us to a lake for the day. It ended up being one of the best days on the trail.

Take a ton of pictures. Even if you don't feel like taking photos, do it. You will not regret it.

Don't take what previous hikers say about certain dates as gospel. Use them only as a reference. So many hikers recommend to send your Winter gear home in Damascus and get your Winter gear back before the Whites. We had a cold Spring and a warmer Summer. I got my Summer gear in Waynesboro, VA and never got my Winter gear back. Everyone starts on a different date and every year the weather is different. I hiked with people who had some uncomfortable nights in Virginia because they sent their Winter gear home too early.

Most of all, enjoy every day, even the days that suck. You remember the amazing days and the crappy days the most.

Here is a video that I put together from my hike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx5QQyG-Z7s

Here is my blog that I wrote about each day: http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Good luck class of 2014!!

DeerPath
09-02-2013, 10:29
Good information using common sense.
This video is in my top 10.
Thanks for shearing.
Happy Trails

bangorme
09-02-2013, 10:52
Here is an average 4 day resupply for me:

4x Poptarts (Smores tend not to grumble as easily)
4x Carnation Instant Breakfast
1x Quart ziplock of dry milk (I always tried to find Nido, but the further North I got, the harder it was to find)
6x Snickers
2x box of cookies or bars (Fignewtons, Chocolate/Coconut Bars, Oreos)
1x box of Cheezits (I never got sick of them)
1x Candy (I became hooked on Hersey Almond bites)
10x Tortillas
1x 8 oz jar of Nutritious peanut butter
6x Thomas bagels (I would step on them so I could fit three in one quart size ziplock bag. Thomas bagels seemed to last the longest.)
6x Easy Mac
2x Tuna packs
4x Ramen
2x Instant mashed potatoes
1x Uncle Ben's rice side
1x 16 oz pack of Ravioli

Great post. I'm trying to figure out what you ate for meals.

Breakfast: Pop Tarts & instant breakfast
Lunch: peanut butter concoction
Supper: ????

Seems like you've got about 12 meals there. Just wondering what you actually ate. Also, what did you buy for Mac & Cheese? Did you do freezer bag cooking?

Thanks.

sfdoc
09-02-2013, 10:56
Thanks for great info. I'm planning a 2014 thru-hike, and I'm sure this contribution will make it a more probable success. Again, thanks for your info, especially how you started and what "corrections" you made.

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 11:57
Good information using common sense.
This video is in my top 10.
Thanks for shearing.
Happy Trails
Thank you!

Drybones
09-02-2013, 12:00
Best post I've seen for anyone contemplating the long walk...great post, great video, great music.

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 12:02
Great post. I'm trying to figure out what you ate for meals.

Breakfast: Pop Tarts & instant breakfast
Lunch: peanut butter concoction
Supper: ????

Seems like you've got about 12 meals there. Just wondering what you actually ate. Also, what did you buy for Mac & Cheese? Did you do freezer bag cooking?

Thanks.
Yes, I mainly used freezer bag cooking or just boiled water in my Jetboil and added pasta to the water.

Breakfast: Poptart and instant breakfast
Snack: Snickers bar and something else (fignewton, cliff bar, etc)
Lunch: Bagel with peanut butter, a few handfuls of cheezits, some cookies and whatever else I felt like snacking on
Dinner: This is where I would mix things up. I would always buy Kraft easy mac, the kind in the box, not the microwave kind. I would use 3 packs of easy mac and mix in one pack of tuna. Then I would put that mixture into tortillas. It was a very tasty meal.
Another dinner was two packs of ramen and a pack of Uncle Ben's rice. Then I'd do a meal of two packs of ramen and use the leftover "broth" and mix that with instant mashed potatoes. It gave some extra flavor to the taters. The ravioli I would make as one dinner. It had about 1200 calories for one package. Sometimes I would buy a Knor side of alfredo sauce and mix it into the ravioli.

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 12:03
Thanks for great info. I'm planning a 2014 thru-hike, and I'm sure this contribution will make it a more probable success. Again, thanks for your info, especially how you started and what "corrections" you made.
Best of luck!

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 12:04
Best post I've seen for anyone contemplating the long walk...great post, great video, great music.
Thank you! :D

Rayo
09-02-2013, 12:34
This is a helpful thread because it shows newbies what gear--although maybe not the lightest, etc.--can work for a successful thru. Those shakedowns are part of the experience though and I'm glad I did one--otherwise I might've carried my rain pants past day three...

Hike on!

tiptoe
09-02-2013, 12:56
Very entertaining video that is sure to inspire. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck with wherever life leads you.

Double Wide
09-02-2013, 13:00
Excellent info.

Can't wait to read the blog!

A.T.Lt
09-02-2013, 13:35
I agree. One of the best posts hike Ive ever read. Congratulations on your hike. Ive watched your youtube videos and read some of your blog. Fantastic job!

Jeff
09-02-2013, 14:54
Thanks for taking time to "give back" to next years class hiking the AT.

marshbirder
09-02-2013, 15:01
Awesome video! Great music and it looks like you two had a lot of fun out there. Thanks for sharing.

bangorme
09-02-2013, 15:04
Breakfast: Poptart and instant breakfast
Snack: Snickers bar and something else (fignewton, cliff bar, etc)
Lunch: Bagel with peanut butter, a few handfuls of cheezits, some cookies and whatever else I felt like snacking on
Dinner: This is where I would mix things up. I would always buy Kraft easy mac, the kind in the box, not the microwave kind. I would use 3 packs of easy mac and mix in one pack of tuna. Then I would put that mixture into tortillas. It was a very tasty meal.
Another dinner was two packs of ramen and a pack of Uncle Ben's rice. Then I'd do a meal of two packs of ramen and use the leftover "broth" and mix that with instant mashed potatoes. It gave some extra flavor to the taters. The ravioli I would make as one dinner. It had about 1200 calories for one package. Sometimes I would buy a Knor side of alfredo sauce and mix it into the ravioli.

Ok, I'm seeing very little protein here. Was that a conscious decision, a matter of weight, matter of cost?

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 15:15
I did not stay at your hostel but I visited it three times! My father lives down the street and we stopped by to drop things off at your place. I must say, your hostel was one of the best (if not the best) I visited on the AT.

Thank YOU for taking the time to give back.

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 15:20
Ok, I'm seeing very little protein here. Was that a conscious decision, a matter of weight, matter of cost?
You are correct. I loaded up on protein in town. I would sometimes buy jerky, but it is expensive. Tuna fish was my main source of protein while on the trail.
I am no health expert but seemed to manage on the diet I ate. I am not saying it was a perfect diet and it would probably not work for everyone.

mtntopper
09-02-2013, 15:28
Did you use your iphone for the photos and video? Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 15:39
Did you use your iphone for the photos and video? Thanks for sharing!!!!!!
I used my iPhone for 90% of my photos and videos. I would bounce a GoPro Hero 1 camera ahead of me and carry it for a few days at a time. I also used a Nikon P330 as my "fancy camera" until it broke right after the Smokies.

Dogwood
09-02-2013, 16:24
Welcome to The Tribe Cro-Mag/Salad days. Bright invigorating energizing blog with material not all the same as the usual trail blog. With the way you did it it's great to see the evolution you went through with the regular readjusting and adaptation both as a hiker and probably as a person. People who finish long hikes have to be flexible, adapt, and manage themselves and their hikes well. You did that. The ability to learn and do that tells me a lot about a person. Being able to do this as a hiker also tells me that's what they are capable of with other life experiences.

You earned the memories of a lifetime that will never die.

Love the "Out of step with the world" thought.

I would be interested in learning how your broader views of life may have changed post hike from pre-hike.

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 17:22
Welcome to The Tribe Cro-Mag/Salad days. Bright invigorating energizing blog with material not all the same as the usual trail blog. With the way you did it it's great to see the evolution you went through with the regular readjusting and adaptation both as a hiker and probably as a person. People who finish long hikes have to be flexible, adapt, and manage themselves and their hikes well. You did that. The ability to learn and do that tells me a lot about a person. Being able to do this as a hiker also tells me that's what they are capable of with other life experiences.

You earned the memories of a lifetime that will never die.

Love the "Out of step with the world" thought.

I would be interested in learning how your broader views of life may have changed post hike from pre-hike.
Thank you Dogwood! I appreciate the kind words.

I learned two important lessons during my hike. I learned that I can put up with discomfort more than I thought I would be able to. The other lesson I learned is how simply I can live my life off the trail. I do not feel the need to have security in material objects.

I will also never complain about having to walk somewhere or how many stairs I need to go up. I'll always take the stairs now.

hikerboy57
09-02-2013, 17:26
cro-mag, thanks so much for coming back and sharing. i encourage the thrus i meet on the trail to do exactly that. yours and others contributions are what make whiteblaze such a valuable resource for long distance hikersand those thinking of thru hiking.

it is a transformative event to find out how little you truly "need" to find happiness.

msupple
09-02-2013, 17:38
Just curious...what happened to the young lady you were hiking with? She was in most of the video but I didn't notice her at the very end. Great advice btw and one of my favorite AT vids. Cat in the Hat

msupple
09-02-2013, 17:41
Just curious...what happened to the young lady you were hiking with? She was in most of the video but I didn't notice her at the very end. Great advice btw and one of my favorite AT vids. Cat in the Hat
Never mind....I saw her in your most excellent blog.

Dogwood
09-02-2013, 18:04
I learned two important lessons during my hike. I learned that I can put up with discomfort more than I thought I would be able to. The other lesson I learned is how simply I can live my life off the trail. I do not feel the need to have security in material objects.

I will also never complain about having to walk somewhere or how many stairs I need to go up. I'll always take the stairs now.

Do you see how counter culture this is? Do you see it took 5 1/2 months largely abstaining from the influences of society and societal norms to gain these perspectives? Can you now see the VAST extent of those that try to influence on a daily, on a min to min, basis? Let me ask, HOW AWARE DO YOU NOW FEEL?

In a real sense you got sober from the "self serving influences" of modern American society after decades of them having a POWERFUL control over you. You have the choice NOW what path you will continue on. Thru-hiking(long distance hiking) is one of the most self actualizing things you can do! NOTICE the awareness you have gained! That's greater power over your own life. That's taking your life back!

Cro-Mag
09-02-2013, 18:04
Never mind....I saw her in your most excellent blog.

No problem and thank you ;)

Chair-man
09-02-2013, 20:32
Step on your Thomas Bagels. I'll have to remember that.

QiWiz
09-02-2013, 20:34
Loved your video compilation. Thanks.

Cro-Mag
09-03-2013, 12:59
Loved your video compilation. Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks!

ATMountainTime
09-03-2013, 13:54
Great Gear list. I too like the evolution of your list. Was ecspecially interested in the jet boil. i was leaning toward getting rid of it. now im probably going to keep.

also liked the "If there is a view, waterfall, tower, etc within 0.5 miles off the trail, go see it. An extra mile might seem annoying, but there are some really interesting things not far off the trail."

It always struck me odd how people wouldn't do such a thing. i mean whats a mile or 5 even in the grand scheme of 2100 miles? Id hike an extra couple miles for a pizza or brewski, this shouldn't be different.

Bog Balls
09-03-2013, 15:41
Thanks for some great info

DandT40
09-03-2013, 17:16
Thanks for the info. Enjoyed the video a lot too. Looks like you had a lot of fun and great hike!

DLP
09-04-2013, 12:08
Reading your blog....
Thanks for posting!

icdaywee
09-04-2013, 12:22
Just read through your blog yesterday. Thanks for the info!

lostagain
09-04-2013, 12:33
Great post, great vid and I'm going to read the blog. One thing I'm curious about...why did you send back your zip off pants and stick with running shorts. Why not ditch the running shorts and simply zip off the pant bottoms and stow the legs in your pack, or just send those back?

Cro-Mag
09-04-2013, 12:50
Great post, great vid and I'm going to read the blog. One thing I'm curious about...why did you send back your zip off pants and stick with running shorts. Why not ditch the running shorts and simply zip off the pant bottoms and stow the legs in your pack, or just send those back?
Very good question. It was mainly a comfort thing. When I lost weight, the pants did not fit me as well. The zipoff shorts were also a little bit longer than I wanted. I liked the length and comfort of my running shorts. Just preference.

12TH Man
12-10-2013, 20:33
Thanks for the post. I hope to NOBO Feb 17th. Same taste in food!

Nick P
12-10-2013, 22:10
Very helpful; thanks a bill!
I'm glad to hear the Solitaire tent was useful; am counting on one in my SOBO next year.
Nick

Paul the Brit
12-11-2013, 00:18
Great post and thanks for the information! I was looking at Frog Togs but think I'll re-evaluate.

SunnyWalker
12-11-2013, 01:01
Dear Salad Days: Thank you for this very entertaining and fun video. Congrats on your hike. Thanks for the equipment lists and so forth. Way to go!

Son Driven
12-11-2013, 01:10
I agree with all you shared here. Early in my hike I carried to much food, not only did the weight slow me down, but I found myself hiking to my food bag. Getting low on food served as a motivator, to get on to the next re supply point. I used potato flakes, and NIDO as my emergency food, I grew tired of them, and when I was down to just potato flakes I became very motivated. Potato flakes weigh very little, so I would buy them by the box, and re package them in zip locks. NIDO powdered cream is fantastic, I added it to almost everything. When NIDO was hard to find I would buy powdered buttermilk or milk instead. Every morning I would mix up NIDO, instant coffee, coco mix, honey, or real maple syrup in New England, shook it up real good in a one quart bottle, got my caffeine fix this way, without using my stove. I am still loving this off trail.

Nick P
12-11-2013, 10:43
Cro-mag,
I saw from your blog that you were shopping for aluminum poles for the eureka solitaire...did you ever find them? I have been looking myself.
thanks
nick

Rain Man
12-11-2013, 10:44
I just completed a thru hike on August 26th, 2013. I used Whiteblaze so much when researching for the hike. It was a site that I visited daily. I remember a successful 2012 thru hiker posting a review of his gear and strategies for his hike. I found that very helpful, so I decided to do the same thing for any future thru hikers.

Very nice and great to read. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Rain:sunMan

CalebJ
12-11-2013, 11:10
Cro-mag,
I saw from your blog that you were shopping for aluminum poles for the eureka solitaire...did you ever find them? I have been looking myself.
thanks
nick
It's a shame Eureka stopped making the Gossamer years ago. Almost identical to the Solitaire but $10 or so more and it came with Easton poles.

Cro-Mag
12-11-2013, 14:58
Cro-mag,
thanks
nick
Hi Nick,

I actually ordered some from Easton, had them cut to size, but when I went to go bend them, I damaged the poles. I tried using a spring inside, I tried filling them with sand, but both still snapped the pole when trying to bend them. It was just too much of a severe curve.

I purchased some back up poles from Eureka before the hike and had them ready at home if I needed them. I went the entire hike without needing to replace them.

Cro-Mag
12-11-2013, 14:59
Very nice and great to read. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Rain:sunMan

You're welcome!

Cro-Mag
12-11-2013, 15:00
I agree with all you shared here. Early in my hike I carried to much food, not only did the weight slow me down, but I found myself hiking to my food bag. Getting low on food served as a motivator, to get on to the next re supply point. I used potato flakes, and NIDO as my emergency food, I grew tired of them, and when I was down to just potato flakes I became very motivated. Potato flakes weigh very little, so I would buy them by the box, and re package them in zip locks. NIDO powdered cream is fantastic, I added it to almost everything. When NIDO was hard to find I would buy powdered buttermilk or milk instead. Every morning I would mix up NIDO, instant coffee, coco mix, honey, or real maple syrup in New England, shook it up real good in a one quart bottle, got my caffeine fix this way, without using my stove. I am still loving this off trail.
Hey Son Driven!

I met you right after the Smokies and then ran into you in Maine when you were hiking SOBO. So glad that you completed your hike. Much respect sir!!

All the best,
Salad Days

Nick P
12-11-2013, 18:14
Hi Nick,

I actually ordered some from Easton, had them cut to size, but when I went to go bend them, I damaged the poles. I tried using a spring inside, I tried filling them with sand, but both still snapped the pole when trying to bend them. It was just too much of a severe curve.

I purchased some back up poles from Eureka before the hike and had them ready at home if I needed them. I went the entire hike without needing to replace them.

GTK ("good to know"), as the cool kids say.
My poles are fraying, so a backup set is the way I'll go.
Thanks again.
nick

Austin 2014
12-12-2013, 11:40

Agreed! This was super helpful!

Cro-Mag
12-28-2013, 23:07
Agreed! This was super helpful!

Good luck!!

Pony
12-29-2013, 13:04
Nice video, brings back a lot of memories. Glad to see you had fun along the way. It amazes me how many people are out there and are not taking any time to goof off. It cracks me up how ridiculous one would look in the "real world" playing in a playground or using a stick as a javelin, yet this is part of life on the trail. Also it's always cool to see pictures of hikers pre hike and post hike. Beard and worn clothes aside something about them always looks different. The other day I was discussing beards with a few coworkers so I showed them my summit picture. They couldn't tell it was me and it took me a minute to convince them. Good stuff, well done.

theinfamousj
12-29-2013, 14:39
It cracks me up how ridiculous one would look in the "real world" playing in a playground or using a stick as a javelin, yet this is part of life on the trail.

I don't like your concept of the real world. I totally play on playgrounds, slide down slides, and jump on trampolines in my normal life.

Anyone looking at me with a judgy expression is trying to keep my fun away so they can justify their own lack of it or cowardice in letting themselves have any.

Don't let acts if fun, joy, and imagination be limited just to the trail!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Whack-a-mole
01-01-2014, 13:45
I just read three pages of positive encouraging posts, and then this. Wow. Cro-Mag, Loved the video, loved the posts and advice! Keep it going, and congratulations on your thru!

FinnMelanson
01-06-2014, 13:47
Hey Salad Days-I think I met you while having lunch at the Abol Campground at the end of the 100 mile wilderness back in late August. You had mentioned that you have lived in Cape Elizabeth for while. Congrats on finishing your thru-hike.

Best,
Finn Melanson

FinnMelanson
01-06-2014, 14:09
*had lived

BuckeyeBill
01-07-2014, 05:04
Excellent post and video. You could easily turn your post into an article for newbies. Your video shows that one can have fun on the trail. The only thing I would change is picking up the big black snake.......... LOL

peakbagger
01-07-2014, 07:20
This post deserves to be an article !

clb
01-12-2014, 12:04
"Most of all, enjoy every day, even the days that suck. You remember the amazing days and the crappy days the most."

Do you see how counter culture this is? Do you see it took 5 1/2 months largely abstaining from the influences of society and societal norms to gain these perspectives? Can you now see the VAST extent of those that try to influence on a daily, on a min to min, basis? Let me ask, HOW AWARE DO YOU NOW FEEL?

In a real sense you got sober from the "self serving influences" of modern American society after decades of them having a POWERFUL control over you. You have the choice NOW what path you will continue on. Thru-hiking(long distance hiking) is one of the most self actualizing things you can do! NOTICE the awareness you have gained! That's greater power over your own life. That's taking your life back!

+1111111!

Salad Days,
Thanks for your wonderful insight. It's posts like this that make this forum truly worthwhile, IMHO. Thanks for giving back. I absolutely loved your video; great balance of the macro and micro. I'm a herp geek, lol. I loved your choice of music as well.

Praha4
01-12-2014, 13:05
hey saladdays - this was a great WB post, thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences with us, you shared some great advice to future AT hikers, both thru hikers and section hikers. I will definitely get to watching your video and trail blog. Spring-2013 in the southern Appalachians brought many weather surprises to hikers, not to mention all the rain, mud and bugs through most of the year into New England also. Each year will bring different weather challenges to AT hikers. I really enjoyed reading how your clothing and gear choices evolved over your hike, can relate to many of your selections. I have used the Osprey Atmos 50 my last two section hikes, and absolutely love the Osprey Atmos series packs. If I was doing an entire thru hike, I'd also pick the Atmos 65. Oh boy you mentioned pillows. I also used a clothes bag for years as a pillow, to varying degrees of comfort or discomfort. This past fall, I picked up an Exped pillow, and now love it, never slept better on the trail. (thanks to another 2013 AT thru hiker, "Lady Grey", for that recommendation over on Trail Journals). The Neoaire X-lite pad is the best pad I've ever used also, good choice. For water treatment, I gave up any pump filters or the Sawyer Squeeze, too many problems, they get clogged, the SS bags break, etc. Have used Aqua Mira on every hike the last 3 years, always worked great. I was especially impressed that you used an inexpensive tent like the Eureka Spitfire and was pleased with it. Shows you don't have to buy a $300 shelter to have a good hike. Again, it's to each his own on gear, clothing and shoes. What works for one, might not work for another. Which Mountain Hardwear Zip Up (middle layer) did you use? Was this a midweight fleece? Food was an area I liked reading, this is the biggest phase of hiking I am constantly changing. Great post, good tips, good luck in your future endeavors, maybe meet you on the trail some day. I'll be heading up to Glasgow, VA in mid April to do another AT section heading north, and maybe heading back to Vermont in September for another LT e2e hike. Happy trails! "Florida Mike"

Praha4
01-12-2014, 13:14
hey sadaddays: gear/clothing questions. Ques 1: You said you sent back your rainpants in VA, but later said you wore your rainpants when it got cold. (having sent back your convertible pants). Was it never cold enough in New England to need the rain pants or did your baselayer suffice in NE? Ques 2: which MH mid-layer zip up? a MH fleece jacket? Ques 3: ever have any problems with that food bag relative to rodents or bears? Ques 4: use a pack cover? (sorry if I overlooked that) Ques 5: did you use a hydration bladder/hoser (Platypus or Camelbak) or did you strictly carry water in your bottles/bladders? Ques 6: what did you carry in the line of a first aid kit? Were the liner socks good enough for you, or did you use any type Hydropel or Sportsslick to help prevent foot blisters? what socks did you use? merino or synthetic? thanks again, great info you shared! "Florida Mike"

Cro-Mag
01-13-2014, 11:09
Hey Salad Days-I think I met you while having lunch at the Abol Campground at the end of the 100 mile wilderness back in late August. You had mentioned that you have lived in Cape Elizabeth for while. Congrats on finishing your thru-hike.

Best,
Finn Melanson
Hey! Yes, that is me. I hope you made it back to school on time!

Cro-Mag
01-13-2014, 11:29
hey saladdays - this was a great WB post, thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences with us, you shared some great advice to future AT hikers, both thru hikers and section hikers. I will definitely get to watching your video and trail blog. Spring-2013 in the southern Appalachians brought many weather surprises to hikers, not to mention all the rain, mud and bugs through most of the year into New England also. Each year will bring different weather challenges to AT hikers. I really enjoyed reading how your clothing and gear choices evolved over your hike, can relate to many of your selections. I have used the Osprey Atmos 50 my last two section hikes, and absolutely love the Osprey Atmos series packs. If I was doing an entire thru hike, I'd also pick the Atmos 65. Oh boy you mentioned pillows. I also used a clothes bag for years as a pillow, to varying degrees of comfort or discomfort. This past fall, I picked up an Exped pillow, and now love it, never slept better on the trail. (thanks to another 2013 AT thru hiker, "Lady Grey", for that recommendation over on Trail Journals). The Neoaire X-lite pad is the best pad I've ever used also, good choice. For water treatment, I gave up any pump filters or the Sawyer Squeeze, too many problems, they get clogged, the SS bags break, etc. Have used Aqua Mira on every hike the last 3 years, always worked great. I was especially impressed that you used an inexpensive tent like the Eureka Spitfire and was pleased with it. Shows you don't have to buy a $300 shelter to have a good hike. Again, it's to each his own on gear, clothing and shoes. What works for one, might not work for another. Which Mountain Hardwear Zip Up (middle layer) did you use? Was this a midweight fleece? Food was an area I liked reading, this is the biggest phase of hiking I am constantly changing. Great post, good tips, good luck in your future endeavors, maybe meet you on the trail some day. I'll be heading up to Glasgow, VA in mid April to do another AT section heading north, and maybe heading back to Vermont in September for another LT e2e hike. Happy trails! "Florida Mike"
Hey Florida Mike,

Thanks for the post. The Mountain Hardwear fleece is about 9 years old. It would be considered a midweight fleece. It is not the lightest option, but it is my favorite piece of clothing I own. Consider it a security blanket for a toddler haha

Cro-Mag
01-13-2014, 12:04
hey sadaddays: gear/clothing questions. Ques 1: You said you sent back your rainpants in VA, but later said you wore your rainpants when it got cold. (having sent back your convertible pants). Was it never cold enough in New England to need the rain pants or did your baselayer suffice in NE? Ques 2: which MH mid-layer zip up? a MH fleece jacket? Ques 3: ever have any problems with that food bag relative to rodents or bears? Ques 4: use a pack cover? (sorry if I overlooked that) Ques 5: did you use a hydration bladder/hoser (Platypus or Camelbak) or did you strictly carry water in your bottles/bladders? Ques 6: what did you carry in the line of a first aid kit? Were the liner socks good enough for you, or did you use any type Hydropel or Sportsslick to help prevent foot blisters? what socks did you use? merino or synthetic? thanks again, great info you shared! "Florida Mike"
1. It was chilly evenings in NE, but I just wore my baselayer pants at night. I am one of those people that can be comfortable in shorts all year round. It is my torso that needs to be warm.
2. MH Fleece 3/4 zipup. It is about 9 years old.
3. I luckily never had my food back damaged by rodents or bears. I had some rodents get into my backpack at night, but the damage was not too bad. Around VT (I think) I stopped hanging my food in a tree and started to sleep with it.
4. Yes, I used an REI duck's back pack cover. I wouldn't use one again though. After a full day of rain my pack would still be wet. My thought at the start of the trip was "Keep my pack dry to keep the weight down". I found out that my pack would dry within 30 minutes after the sun came out, so it was never an issue. I would go for a trash bag as a liner next time around.
5. For the first half of the hike I would fetch water in a Platy bag and mix my Aquamira inside that bag. I would then pour the purified water into my Camelback or Nalgene (I only used my Nalgene for Carnation Instant Breakfast). By VT, I ditched my Platy bag and Nalgene. I just fetched straight with my Camelback, purified in it and drank from it. If I wanted to mix something or scoop water, I would use my cup from my Jetboil.
6. My first aide was not the best, to be honest. I would have a few band-aides, medical tape, tweezers, neosporin, a few larger bandages, Pepto, Ibuprofen, anti-diarrhea and Benadryl. I really need to take a wilderness first aide course :)
7. My liner socks were the best surprise in gear for my hike. Again, a single pair lasted my entire hike. I never added any cream or lubricant to them to stop blisters. I know that is unique, but it is what worked for me.
8. I stared with Smartwool and then switched to Darntough in VT.

Thanks!