PDA

View Full Version : describe the slickest most pricey geared up hiker you have met on AT

DavidNH
08-08-2005, 15:13
Hi,

This is just to have some fun.

You thru and long distance AT hikers.. please share the description of the hiker(s) you have met who have the most pricey gear, the fanciest and the yuppiest! Many seek to hike with 1000 or less of gear..some parhaps may go with 5000+ dollars worth of gear. What have you noticed? Any 700 dollar tents? 1000 dollar parkas? etc etc. Any one seen hikers with way over priced gear with more functionality than could ever be used on the AT? what are most extreme examples?

BTW..just for the record..I place my self in the middle somewhere..I dont try to go bare bones and scrimp, but nor do I necessarily seek to use the newest, fanciest, best.

nhhiker

jimmyjob
08-08-2005, 15:26
its funny you would post this now. i am looking for all new gear and there is pretty expensive and over top gear for AT hiking, but i can't help think :-? that if i had a few more bucks i would definitly end up going over the top with gear:D:D:D.. but i don't so like most i am have a moderate budget for gear:)

jimmyjob

SGT Rock
08-08-2005, 15:30
Honestly I don't normally pay attention to that. The only time I ever remember someone sticking out was a couple of day hikers near Mount Rogers with matching outfits that looked like they came straight from the LL Bean catalog or something.

Mags
08-08-2005, 15:54
It is off the AT..but still afunny story.

Last year I was onthe my Colorado Trail hike just north (trail wise) from where the CT and the CDT split for the last time. The CT heads south and west towards Durango, the CDT heads south towards Wolf Creek Pass.

Anyway, I am hiking up the trail. I see a genteman with thick, heavy leather boots. A HUGE pack (Dana Designs, maybe?). Had the Nalgenes and every other item it seems from the outfitter.

Here I am: Nike sneakers a bit torn, my lightweight all mesh pack. Banged up ski poles. Dirty polyester dress shirt. Almost three weeks beard growth.

I said "Hello'.
He said "Interesting gear you have". (While eyeing me up and down with a *** look on his face)
Me: "Yep. Works for me"
He said: "Well, always more to learn as you backpack more. When you backpack more, perhaps you will have different gear"
Me: "You are right. Always more to learn"
He: "Enjoy your hike. Be careful".
Me: "You too! It is a great day!"

:)

The guy probably thought I was a total moron (Well...he may be right, but not in the context of backpacking. :D). Probably thought I'd died somewhere in the San Juan mountains!

Anyway, not quite the story you asked..but a good story I think.

Cookerhiker
08-08-2005, 15:59

Last year I was onthe my Colorado Trail hike just north (trail wise) from where the CT and the CDT split for the last time. The CT heads south and west towards Durango, the CDT heads south towards Wolf Creek Pass.

Anyway, I am hiking up the trail. I see a genteman with thick, heavy leather boots. A HUGE pack (Dana Designs, maybe?). Had the Nalgenes and every other item it seems from the outfitter.

Here I am: Nike sneakers a bit torn, my lightweight all mesh pack. Banged up ski poles. Dirty polyester dress shirt. Almost three weeks beard growth.

I said "Hello'.
He said "Interesting gear you have". (While eyeing me up and down with a *** look on his face)
He said: "Well, always more to learn as you backpack more. When you backpack more, perhaps you will have different gear"

The guy probably thought I was a total moron (Well...he may be right, but not in the context of backpacking. :D). Probably thought I'd died somewhere in the San Juan mountains!

Good story and I admire you for your sense of perspective and levity in responding to the dude.

Gadog430
08-08-2005, 16:26
This year Shelly and I met up with a group of hikers on the AT right after Hgihtower Gap. They each had a two-man tent. Each one weighed at lest five pounds. One was a doctor and he was carrying a 60 pound pack that included a full medical kit. Now, I can't fault the guy for wanting to be prepared, but I bet that kit weighed ten pounds. The doctor also had a huge knife that he could have killed a bear with. Shelly and I tried to talk to them about going lighter, and we were rebuffed. They were not interested at all. Oh well...so be it. We tried.

Dawg

Tin Man
08-08-2005, 17:23

I said "Hello'.

Mags,

If I may suggest, the next time you run into a "GQ" Backpacker and he says something about "when you get more experience..." maybe you could say something like "well, after [x,xxx] miles you would think I would know better and cut out some of the extra weight, like can you believe I still haven't cut the handle off my toothbrush!"

SGT Rock
08-08-2005, 17:28
Mags,

If I may suggest, the next time you run into a "GQ" Backpacker and he says something about "when you get more experience..." maybe you could say something like "well, after [x,xxx] miles you would think I would know better and cut out some of the extra weight, like can you believe I still haven't cut the handle off my toothbrush!"
LOL, that was funny.

Anyone remember old Mad Magazine's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions?:jump

Sorcerer
08-08-2005, 17:37
I'm probably a border line over the topper:

Granite Gear Vapor Trail Pack- $150
Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20 degree (long version) - $330
MSR Titanium Cookset (only carry one pot now) - $80
Pepsi can stove - $0.01
Leki Super Makulu Anti-Shock Poles - $140
Shelters: Varied
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 3 CD (yes, 3 person!) - $250
Homemade Sil-nylon Tarp - $55
Cloudburst Tarptent (extended sewn-in floor) - $250
Sleeping Pad: Insulmat - $35
Pack Cover: Equinox sil-nylon - $30
Clothing: Silk Weight Patagonia Capilene T-shirt - $32
Medium Weight Patagonia Capilene Long Sleeve - $40
Mountain Hardwear Mountain Kilt - $50
Mountain Hardwear Wicked T - $28
3 pairs Smartwool hiking socks - $15 each
3 pairs Bridgedale liner socks - $7 each
Equinox Poncho/Tarp - $50

That's about $1250. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I usually buy something stupid each year that's too expensive and doesn't work well. I bought one of those $50 Montaine Rain Jackets at Hot Springs a couple of years ago........it got soaked in about 3 minutes of rain. :datz

I'm a sort of a gear head. I'll spend the extra cash for something lightweight and durable. Only problem is that lightweight and durable are hard to come by. At least I have a brand-spanking-new Vapor Trail though (warranty work!)

Mags
08-08-2005, 17:42
Mags,

Heh..just as easy to smile. Though, your reply would have been funny to say!

Giving him my backcountry resume probably wouldn't do too much. In my experience, I find people who feel compelled to give you their "expert" opinion unasked are usually the one least likely to be impressed by other people's accomplishments. He'd probably still give me the *** luck! ;)

Besides, gave me a great anecdote!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-08-2005, 18:35
Not a pricey, high-tech story, but.... We ran into two fellows about 20 miles from the southern terminus in 2003 that told us they had retired a few years before, gotten bored and decided to thru-hike the AT. Neither had any hiking experience. They described just how helpful the guys at the outfitters had been. The salesmen at that outfitter saw these guys coming and unloaded on them.

These poor guys were carrying at least 60 lbs apiece and had all sorts of things that they really didn't need - they had things like lanterns and a cookset I could have used to make dinner for six. I hope they stopped off at Walasi-Yiand lightened up if they made it that far. They were looking pretty rough when we saw them.

Kerosene
08-08-2005, 18:43
I'm on the high side myself. The only things I tend to spend money on are backpacking gear, soccer player fees, and a nice car every 4-5 years.

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone w/ Top Lid - $220
Western Mountaineering Ultralite - $315
Snow Peak Titanium Pot - $35
Snow Peak GigaPower Ti Canister Stove w/ Piezo - $75
Leki Super Makulu Anti-Shock Poles - $140
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo w/ lightweight stakes: $200
Hennessey Backpacker A-Sym Hammock: $125
Bozeman Mountain Works TorsoLite Sleeping Pad - $50
Sil-nyl Pack Cover - $30
2 CoolMax Alta shirts - $60
Columbia Convertible Pants - $20
Garmont Eclipse GTX Boots - $120
TNF softshell - $85
Smartwool Hiking Socks - $15 *3 = $45
Injinji Liners - $12 * 4 = $48
Sil-nyl Stuff Sacks - $15 * 3 = $45
Frogg Toggs Rainsuit - $80
Black Diamond Ion - $20
Pentax Optio 5Si Digicam w/ 1GB card & extra battery - $400
Nalgene 1L Cantenes = $7 * 2 = $14
Nalgene Tubing & Bite Valve = $12

So that comes to $2,139 (ouch! Don't tell my wife!). Now add in all those generations of older equipment that I've replaced over the years, plus the transportation costs to get to and from the AT for 15 section hikes, plus food, fuel, towns, etc., and pretty soon it gets to be real money. :sun

Could I hike with less expensive equipment? Sure, but I get a whole lot of enjoyment out of researching and shaving off weight. I've spent a big chunk of my disposable income on gear ever since I started having disposable "income" as a teenager. Why grow up now?

Tin Man
08-08-2005, 20:18
$1,250, $2,139, more?

Oops. I think I am "GQ" Backpacker! :eek:

Well, I did all the wrong things before, heavy equipment and cotton clothing. When I went to lighten the load, I found that it is not an inexpensive proposition. I guess I went from "I know how to backpack" to "I know how to spend money on backpacking." :datz

In addition to all the "best" gear, I think the best piece of equipment is the sub-one pound fold up saw ($60) that I made my brother buy and carry :D - helps make for a good fire.

Sly
08-08-2005, 22:31
This year Shelly and I met up with a group of hikers on the AT right after Hgihtower Gap. They each had a two-man tent. Each one weighed at lest five pounds. One was a doctor and he was carrying a 60 pound pack that included a full medical kit. Now, I can't fault the guy for wanting to be prepared, but I bet that kit weighed ten pounds. The doctor also had a huge knife that he could have killed a bear with. Shelly and I tried to talk to them about going lighter, and we were rebuffed. They were not interested at all. Oh well...so be it. We tried.
Dawg

Except for the doctor part, it's sounds exactly like Baltimore Jack! :D

fiddlehead
08-08-2005, 23:00
I think any year hiking GA starting in March, you'll find the most geared out people you ever saw. A few that i remember: an older couple with a "Maine or Bust" flag hanging from their overloaded packs, took a break with me and in all sincerity asked me "what i was doing about the water?" I wasn't sure what they meant but after asking them, they said they'd been carrying all their water from the start and were scared of what to do when it ran out. (this was around Blood Mt and their 3rd day!) They looked on in horror when i told them i drink the water as it comes. I found out later, they went home the next day!
Another time i remember was when 8 of us shared a shelter in Maine waiting out a hurricane ('91 i believe) Two of the hikers there had an incredible amount of gear and after lots of talk (we didn't hike that day as it was coming down the worst i have ever seen) These guys said that their packs were 15-20 lbs lighter than they had been the year before when they carried over 100 lbs each! After some reflection on this statement, i said: "what do you take out of your pack to get it down to 80+lbs?" They said: " last year we carried a gallon of fresh whold milk and 3 books each!" among some other things.
Anyway, as to the story from the CT about the geared out guy thinking they were inexperienced. more than once on our JMT run in 2000 with my 8 lb pack and my buddies 4 lb one, people asked us how we could possibly be day hiking so far from any trailhead? after a while, we stopped trying to explain and just said we are going to have a long day getting back. You could tell they thought we were going to have to spend a horrible night out there with no shelter or whatever.

RedneckRye
08-09-2005, 07:57
I've worked at a gear shop since 98 and alot of times it is really difficult to convince folks that there are some pieces of gear that they just plain don't need. I try to explain hydration bladders and gatorade bottles, but to folks with limited or no experience, invariably they look loke they will explode and drench everything in their pack. So out they walk with 3 or 4 Nalgene bottles. Carabiners to hook the bottles on, huge first aid kit, a hatchet and a saw, a clean shirt every day, a dry bag for the sleeping bag, etc, etc, etc.
Also, it is nearly impossible to convince someone with no experience to buy a 1 person tent. "It is so small, where will I put my gear??"
And although I've never ran into a group of them, a herd of NOLS kids have got to be the most overgeared people on the planet. I've helped many folks drop $1500-$2500 on the required gear that is on "the list"

Youngblood
08-09-2005, 09:11
I've worked at a gear shop since 98 and alot of times it is really difficult to convince folks that there are some pieces of gear that they just plain don't need. I try to explain hydration bladders and gatorade bottles, but to folks with limited or no experience, invariably they look loke they will explode and drench everything in their pack. So out they walk with 3 or 4 Nalgene bottles. Carabiners to hook the bottles on, huge first aid kit, a hatchet and a saw, a clean shirt every day, a dry bag for the sleeping bag, etc, etc, etc.
Also, it is nearly impossible to convince someone with no experience to buy a 1 person tent. "It is so small, where will I put my gear??"
And although I've never ran into a group of them, a herd of NOLS kids have got to be the most overgeared people on the planet. I've helped many folks drop $1500-$2500 on the required gear that is on "the list"
If you got the money... and that is a big if... a big part of the initial entry into a new hobby is all the neat toys you get to select from and BUY. Like I said, if you have the money. At that point it is the dreaming, selecting and acquiring that is the fun part, not the using of said gear... hopefully that comes later and then you need to replace the crap you bought with the stuff you want to use. And some people don't want their bubble burst with a dose of reality until they are ready for it. I ain't mentioning names, but I know somebody like that. :cool:

Youngblood

Big Dawg
08-09-2005, 09:33
If you got the money... and that is a big if... a big part of the initial entry into a new hobby is all the neat toys you get to select from and BUY. Like I said, if you have the money. At that point it is the dreaming, selecting and acquiring that is the fun part, not the using of said gear... hopefully that comes later and then you need to replace the crap you bought with the stuff you want to use. And some people don't want their bubble burst with a dose of reality until they are ready for it.
Thinking back...... when I first started @ Springer w/ a hiking buddy,, we were both maxed out @ 75+ lbs,, thought we were bad ass. All kinds of gear... 10 lb Eureka K2 XT tent,,, hmmmm,,,, just for me,,,, & a CD player w/ all kinds of CD's, etc, etc, etc. So, w/in the 1st 10 miles we run across a SOBO who seemed to have total pack weight around 15 lbs & was hiking in Chaco's or something. I wish we could of had a snapshot of our faces back then. We were amazed. Thinking back, he was pretty cool & didn't embarrass us by giving us the major talking we needed. He was probably busting a gut inside, though. He was probably thinking,,, "they'll learn". Well we did,, but even after 314 miles, my pack is still in the high 40's because I can't afford all of the new gear yet. I have a complete gear wish-list (some I have now, some I don't) bringing me down to a base pack weight of around 15 lbs & as soon as $$ is available, I'll be there, dancing on the trail. W/ the light/ultra-light craze going on,, hopefully more new hikers are coming across these options before they spend their $$ on the heavy stuff, only to replace it later, like a lot of us have. Live & learn, huh? :datz

Big Dawg
08-09-2005, 09:40
my pack is still in the high 40's
That's w/ 5 days of food & 3 liters of water--- (yea, I'm cuttin back to carrying 2, maybe 1 liter of water going forward, as well as cuttin out my 1 lb filter & replacing w/ aqua mira).

I thought we had the edit button for 15 minutes after post---not available on prev post, hence this post.

Mags
08-09-2005, 11:19
people asked us how we could possibly be day hiking so far from any trailhead? after a while, we stopped trying to explain and just said we are going to have a long day getting back. You could tell they thought we were going to have to spend a horrible night out there with no shelter or whatever.

You'll appreciate this story being a trail runner.. :)

About two weeks ago I did the Maroon Bells loop aka "Ringing the Bells". This loop is easily one of the most scenic, if not THE most scenic in Colorado. Four passes, alpine meadows, lots of wildflowers.

This loop is normaly a 2-3 day (or even 4 day) backpacking loop. I wanted to do it in a day. I enjoy massive day hikes and I need the training for Leadville. This hike qualified. Not only did I do the classic loop (26 miles, 4 passes, 8k elev gain), did the Geneva Lake option (makes it 30 miles and ~10k elev gain in addition to four passes).

Anyway, as I was hiking down the trail saw two people with the largest packs I've ever seen. If this pack was "only" 50 lbs, I'd be shocked. Knew I was in for an interesting situation when I said hello to the husband and did not get an answer. Even on big hikes (and trail runs) always make a point of at least saying a simple hello. After this brush off from the dude, had a conversation with the wife (or partner or girlriend, or whatever)

WOMAN: Are you one of those... **RUNNERS**?
(She paused and said "runners" almost as a swear)
MAGS: No Ma'am [1], just doing a day hike at a quick pace
WOMAN: Well, that does not sound like much fun to me.
MAGS: I just enjoy big hikes
WOMAN: You are one those exercise Nazis, aren't you?
MAGS: Well, different strokes for different folks
WOMAN: I guess so (said very flippant/sarcastic).

That same day, saw another backpacker. He was VERY concerned about me. Wanted to know if I had a tent and sleeping bag. Implied I did not know what I was doing and that I would more or less die an awful death out here. :) He too was decked our with the entire catalog of REI (or so it seemed).

Is there a corelation between expensive gear and telling people what to do? ;)

Anyway...just another little story.

[1] Always get ultrapolite with rude/antaganostic people. Serves me well in my "real world" job at a local ISP.

Gadog430
08-09-2005, 11:50
Except for the doctor part, it's sounds exactly like Baltimore Jack! :D
Hehehe, Sly is exactly right. But this was about an hour after we had passed Baltimore Jack and Mtn Dew, then they passed us on the way to Horse-whatever-Gap. Jack cracks me up. He doesn't like anything on the outside of his pack. NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL. Me...I go down the trail looking like a peddler. The happiest I have been recently on the trail was when I went overnight with my day pack. I had stuf hanging from every available loop. Jack would be horrified.

Dawg

Jack Tarlin
08-09-2005, 16:27
Nah, not horrified at all. Everyone has to figure out what works for THEM.

I remember a guy I met briefly on Springer Mountain. His stuff, all top-of-the-line, was so new that some of it probably still had price tags on it. I couldn't see what was IN his pack, of course, but I've no doubt that it was probably around $5,000 worth of very expensive stuff.

Incidentally, when I met him, he was going SOUTH on Springer, back towards Amicalola Park. He never made it thru the Approach Trail, quitting his thru-hike before he saw even one white blaze.

Moral of story: What's in your head and your heart is a lot more important than what's on your back.

SGT Rock
08-09-2005, 16:40
Moral of story: What's in your head and your heart is a lot more important than what's on your back.
Great philosophy!:clap

bearbag hanger
08-09-2005, 19:05
If you don't know him, he's done one or two thru hikes. The last four pargraphs of this entry were interesting and, I think, relavent to this discussion:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=111527

fiddlehead
08-10-2005, 00:36
You'll appreciate this story being a trail runner.. :)

About two weeks ago I did the Maroon Bells loop aka "Ringing the Bells". This loop is easily one of the most scenic, if not THE most scenic in Colorado. Four passes, alpine meadows, lots of wildflowers.

This loop is normaly a 2-3 day (or even 4 day) backpacking loop. I wanted to do it in a day. I enjoy massive day hikes and I need the training for Leadville. This hike qualified. Not only did I do the classic loop (26 miles, 4 passes, 8k elev gain), did the Geneva Lake option (makes it 30 miles and ~10k elev gain in addition to four passes).

Anyway, as I was hiking down the trail saw two people with the largest packs I've ever seen. If this pack was "only" 50 lbs, I'd be shocked. Knew I was in for an interesting situation when I said hello to the husband and did not get an answer. Even on big hikes (and trail runs) always make a point of at least saying a simple hello. After this brush off from the dude, had a conversation with the wife (or partner or girlriend, or whatever)

WOMAN: Are you one of those... **RUNNERS**?
(She paused and said "runners" almost as a swear)
MAGS: No Ma'am [1], just doing a day hike at a quick pace
WOMAN: Well, that does not sound like much fun to me.
MAGS: I just enjoy big hikes
WOMAN: You are one those exercise Nazis, aren't you?
MAGS: Well, different strokes for different folks
WOMAN: I guess so (said very flippant/sarcastic).

That same day, saw another backpacker. He was VERY concerned about me. Wanted to know if I had a tent and sleeping bag. Implied I did not know what I was doing and that I would more or less die an awful death out here. :) He too was decked our with the entire catalog of REI (or so it seemed).

Is there a corelation between expensive gear and telling people what to do? ;)

Anyway...just another little story.

[1] Always get ultrapolite with rude/antaganostic people. Serves me well in my "real world" job at a local ISP.
I remember when i was in the Leadville race and going up Hope pass the 1st time, there was a man and wife backpacking up also, in the middle of the race. They were pretty cool about it and i even stopped to talk to them as i am a backpacker 1st and a runner second (and i needed a slight rest anyway) They were very overwhelmed that some people were actually running up this thing. they were very polite about things and respectfully stepped off the trail every time a runner came along. (with 500+ runners in the race, that is pretty admirable)
Anyway, good luck in Leadville. I imagine it's coming up in a week or so, aye? I thoroughly enjoyed that race. (except the last 18 miles. I was ready to sleep by that time)

rpettit
08-10-2005, 07:06
I guess that I qualify as a "GQ" hiker. I wear and carry about $2200 worth of gear, if I include the cost of my digital camera. It works for me, I only carry what I use, and I can afford it. HYOH.

SGT Rock
08-10-2005, 08:08
You know, I added up the price of everything I wear and carry, and it is easy to get to about $1,500 if you take the time to look at it. I use empty gatorade bottles, I make some of my own stuff from trash, and I have some gear that is pretty darn cheap. But then again I have one or two items I carry where I wanted to spend some money on them because I wanted something specific and even the price of socks, batteries, and parachute cord adds up.

jaywalke
08-10-2005, 08:16
[QUOTE=RedneckRye]I've worked at a gear shop since 98 and alot of times it is really difficult to convince folks that there are some pieces of gear that they just plain don't need.]

Amen to that. I'll always remember the guy who gave me a hard time that our store didn't have enough lightweight packs, then almost without pause asked where the cast iron cookware "suitable for backpacking" was kept.

Scouts were the worst for me. . . Skinny little nine-year-olds whose leaders gave them a 50lb. shopping list. I always tried to talk them into smaller internal frame packs and lighter/less gear [we were not on commission :-] but they rarely went for it.

Gear price, like most hobbies, is only relevant as a percentage of what you make. I have friends who spend a few grand a year getting the latest/greatest stuff, but it is a small fraction of their overall income, so it's like someone who makes less spending a few hundred.

Jaywalke

Mags
08-10-2005, 10:17
I as i am a backpacker 1st and a runner second (and i needed a slight rest anyway)

That's how I view myself as well. Too slow to be a runner first. ;)

Anyway, good luck in Leadville. I imagine it's coming up in a week or so, aye? I thoroughly enjoyed that race. (except the last 18 miles. I was ready to sleep by that time)

Yep..coming up the 20th. I'll need the luck. Thanks!

Mags
08-10-2005, 10:21
If you don't know him, he's done one or two thru hikes. The last four pargraphs of this entry were interesting and, I think, relavent to this discussion:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=111527

From the Journal:

"This particular hiker looked at my backpack and said to me; "When you walk 1800 miles like I have, you'll find that you want to carry more stuff with you than what you're carrying now."
I looked at the large backpack that nobo was carrying and smiled and said; "Maybe....when I've walked that far, I will."

I wonder if this NoBo hikes in Colorado too? Sounds almost indentical to the situation I had!

docllamacoy
08-10-2005, 11:17

I said "Hello'.

Anyway, not quite the story you asked..but a good story I think.That's funny, Mags!! I remember your pack on the PCT. He probably thought you were too poor to afford more than just a piece of mesh! LOL!! Now, if he saw Doc and me, he'd probably think, "Now, there are some more experienced hikers," as we trudge up the hill carrying 10lbs. of dog food a piece in addition to our 3-man tent and other crazy gear. Ha ha ha!!

Mags
08-10-2005, 12:03
That's funny, Mags!! I remember your pack on the PCT. He probably thought you were too poor to afford more than just a piece of mesh! LOL!! Now, if he saw Doc and me, he'd probably think, "Now, there are some more experienced hikers," as we trudge up the hill carrying 10lbs. of dog food a piece in addition to our 3-man tent and other crazy gear. Ha ha ha!!

Here's what an inexperiened backpacker uses:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsct04
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsct04/aag

TwoForty
08-10-2005, 20:05
Well, I guess there are a few kinds of slicked up hikers. Some have the high dollar ultralight stuff and some have the high dollar mountaineering stuff. You can spend as much on a tarp tent, go lite pack, an epic jacket, and a WM bag as someone decked out with brand new North Face equipment.

I've seen some people doing weekend trips in the Smokies with 4 season tents, goretex everything, and more designer outdoor labels than I could count.

Doctari
08-11-2005, 00:30
I guess it would be me on my first AT section hike. I had near 60 Lbs in the pack, with a FSO of close to 65 or more.

Not expensive gear, just alot of it. In 9 days, I MAY have used 1/2 of it, & some of that only once, just because I had it with me, not that I needed it.

I probably would have (at least the first 2 or 3 days) been less than reseptive to any advice to lighten the load by removing any of the "very nessicary gear" I had.

Funny now. And, I still get to see myself in others as they start out with the new (useless?) gear. I try to help only when asked, but sometimes it's hard to not comment when the 120 lb hiker has an 80 Lb pack.

Doctari.

DLFrost
08-11-2005, 02:47
You know, I added up the price of everything I wear and carry, and it is easy to get to about $1,500 if you take the time to look at it. I use empty gatorade bottles, I make some of my own stuff from trash, and I have some gear that is pretty darn cheap. But then again I have one or two items I carry where I wanted to spend some money on them because I wanted something specific and even the price of socks, batteries, and parachute cord adds up.
Ayup... There's a certain elegance to putting together an ultralight backpacking setup cheaply. Why spend $50 on an alky stove when you can make a nearly perfect one yourself for almost nothing? That said, I shelled out over $300 for an WM Ultralite and didn't bat an eye because of the huge weight/size reduction I was gaining. I've dropped about half of my 90's base packweight. (Three season base: 21lbs; high summer: 16.) Worth every penny.

The real hero in all this is the internet. The instant availability of tons of information, experiment and opinion has played a huge role in cutting pack weight & cost while maintaining function. Recently I had a look at Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker IV. No info on syl-ny, newer alcohol stove systems, camping hammocks, LED lights...? It's taken just a few years to outdate this text. Yet version III was valid and useful for well over a decade. But the internet is always current.

Doug Frost

Kerosene
08-11-2005, 08:54
Recently I had a look at Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker IV.I did DWG to Unionville in April 1973 wearing jeans and a jeans jacket, wrapping my heavy camping sleeping bag in my plastic groundcloth (can you say "condensation"?), etc. The following year I got the vast majority of my backpacking information from Ed Garvey's first edition of Appalachian Hiker, published in 1971. I devoured that book as only a young person can, so that by my third hike in 1975 I was reasonably accomplished (although not fully aware of the symptoms of hypothermia and still carrying too much weight).

The Solemates
08-11-2005, 10:15

I believe I will do just that, mainly just because I am curious myself. This is just what I carry on a weekend 3-season hike and includes only money that I personally spent. I have hundreds more dollars worth of gear that I have accumulated through the years that i didnt include as well.

Gregory ZPack: $0 (my outfitter gave it to me cause hes cool like that)
Mtn Hdwr Waypt 2: $0 (Christmas gift...$200 on sale normally)
Mtnsmith Wisp 30 deg: $150 (clearance)
ZRest 3/4 length: $15
MSR Simmerlite w/ fuel bottle: $100 (although I got my current one free, I had one before that that I purchased, so Im including the price)
Ex Oficio Pants: $0 (Christmas gift..$70 normally, but worth it)
Wicking Tee: $0 (free, found on trail...I have like 4 I found on the trail)
Patagonia Top: $0 (Christmas gift...$35 normally)
Marmot Precip pants/jacket: $150 (on sale)
Walmart Socks: $6
Vasque trail runners: $0 (Christmas gift..$110 normally)
PUR filter: $0/$30 for filter (free, found on trail/had to buy filter)
Aurora headlamp: $0 (gift...$30 normally)
1L water bottle: $2 (for a coke)
2L Platypus: $12
Snowpeak Ti cookset: $50
Lexan spoon: $1 (really 2/$1)
Handkerchief: $1 (really 3/$1)

So the grand total of money outta my pocket: around $467.

..not bad. $445 more if you include the stuff i got as gifts, so just over $900 total.

The Solemates
08-11-2005, 10:17
i forgot the 2mil plastic groudcloth for my tent....cheap painters plastic at any hardware store...not sure of price

Mags
08-11-2005, 13:58
Well, I guess there are a few kinds of slicked up hikers. Some have the high dollar ultralight stuff and some have the high dollar mountaineering stuff. You can spend as much on a tarp tent, go lite pack, an epic jacket, and a WM bag as someone decked out with brand new North Face equipment.

I know what you mean..my $4 cook pot was expensive. :)

I am finally doing my interview for a local paper tomorrow. Touching upon what you said.

. I live in the town where GoLite, Montbell, Kelty, Sierra Designs, etc. all call home. Seems the paradigm has shifted from "you need HEAVY, expensive equipment" to "you need LIGHT expensive equipment".

So many manufactuters slap "lightweight" on their gear. To sell it to even more people they slap the now-meanigless label "fastpacking gear" on their goods.

In any case, the interview is lightweight gear on the cheap.

Some items (a sleeping bag comes to mind) you will want to get the best bang for your buck. Other items? Can usually find inexpensive alternatives. I buy many of my items on clearence, at the thrift store, or take off the shelf stuff.

Gadog430
08-11-2005, 15:40
Mags, your above comments about fastpacking brings up a sore point with me.

You know, when did irresponsible marketing replace service to customers? This is one of my BIG BIG nitpicks with most industries. No one is out there to service the customer anymore, they are all out there to sell at any cost.

There is a local outfitter here in Greenville that I personally like. But I have had varying opinions from other residents of our fair city that have visited and then had friends visit a few days later that have gotten varying opinions from this outfitter on what gear would be appropriate, and they were essentially asking the same question.

Although I haven't has this happen to me (although I cannot be 100% sure), it put the thought into my mind and theirs that this outfitter might push whatever he needs to get rid of. That is the Death Knell for any local outfitter. You have to have the trust of the market. For a small store, you have to love your customers and do right by them….and then the rest should fall in line.

Whatever happened to loving your customer? I personally am a good buyer…meaning if I trust someone and I need a piece of gear, price becomes a lesser concern. You already have my money if you do right by me. Don't worry about the sale. Get me what I need in good quality. Most of my hiking friends are the same way. They will spend the money if it is something needed and it is good quality.

Let's get back to the customer.

Sorry for the rant,
Dawg

neo
08-11-2005, 16:04
i would say medicine man,he has collection of high price hammock quilts,luxury lite pack and frame:cool: neo

neo
08-11-2005, 16:07
i would say medicine man,he has collection of high price hammock quilts,luxury lite pack and frame:cool: neo

http://www.luxurylite.com/packindex.html

Kerosene
08-11-2005, 18:18
Mags notes that the big guys are pushing expensive lightweight equipment; you need big margins in order to do the marketing and establish the distribution channels that these big boys have developed. You may also have a big R+D lab to fund, one where 80% of the products never fly.

Gadog430 notes that you can't seem to trust a salesperson, which is certainly a stereotype but there's a lot of evidence that supports such a generalization. For a specific store/salesperson, I do think you need to be careful about reaching a conclusion based on opinions that claim they were asking "essentially the same question". I can tell you from my product development experience that they're probably not really the same question at all.

That said, when these sorts of issue become frustrating enough, you tend to end up moving to models like co-ops and open source software that provide sufficient or better quality, at lower total cost...at least until the next big thing comes along.

Mags
08-11-2005, 18:32
Mags notes that the big guys are pushing expensive lightweight equipment; you need big margins in order to do the marketing and establish the distribution channels that these big boys have developed. You may also have a big R+D lab to fund, one where 80% of the products never fly.

Not quite sure I understand the point. Please forgive me.

The way I see it is that "lightweight" is in right now for a variety of reasons (aging market, with adventure sports becoming popular more chances to sell, etc.). So they slap a "lightweight" label on a 5 lb tent.

Seems to me, also, thay many of the big boys are copying what the cottage industries have done for years.

It would be like it Microsoft copied what smaller comapnies have done and then marketed the innovation as their own. Oh..er, oops...never mind. :)

Tin Man
08-11-2005, 21:10
The internet age is changing the way people shop. I like to go into the store just to touch and feel the product, then I go back to my PC to get the best price. Of course, resisting impulse buying is always a challenge. As far as salespeople go, we all have become at least as informed as them from our own experiences and sharing information here.

Just Jeff
08-11-2005, 22:03
Me too - I like to go to big box stores to check out the selection, then I check prices on eBay (and others) before I buy.

However, I'll spend an extra few bucks at a local outfitter for the same item if he has good service. At my outfitter in Charleston, he'd look it up on eBay while I was standing there and tell me how close he could come to the price...usually it was about the same if we added in shipping and such. I got to take it home right then AND support a local guy!

I also agree that those of us who are really involved here are probably just as informed as the salesfolks at most outfitters. Especially with backpackgeartest.org! I'd take info from these forums over a salesman's words most of the time.

Tin Man
08-11-2005, 22:52
Me too - I like to go to big box stores to check out the selection, then I check prices on eBay (and others) before I buy.

However, I'll spend an extra few bucks at a local outfitter for the same item if he has good service. At my outfitter in Charleston, he'd look it up on eBay while I was standing there and tell me how close he could come to the price...usually it was about the same if we added in shipping and such. I got to take it home right then AND support a local guy!

I also agree that those of us who are really involved here are probably just as informed as the salesfolks at most outfitters. Especially with backpackgeartest.org! I'd take info from these forums over a salesman's words most of the time.

I also like to support the local guy too if the service is good. My local chain store's prices are high and the service is often bad.

dougmeredith
08-12-2005, 08:41
I won't go to a store to check out gear if I know I am going to order it from the Internet. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Doug

Heater
08-12-2005, 09:49
I won't go to a store to check out gear if I know I am going to order it from the Internet. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Doug
I usually do it opposite. I search the internet for prices then buy locally if it is available locally and the prices are comparable.

Gadog430
08-12-2005, 10:25
I totally support 'supporting your local guy', but I was merely relating the local experience as come across by a few people. Wasn't leaning one way or the other. :)

Dawg

carolinahiker
02-01-2006, 11:39
Well i guess my pack goes about 45 pounds i hope but im a cheapskate on stuff except boots and socks i have a surplus three piece german army mess kit ive used for 20 plus years in the army and hiking, as for clothes i carry the min needed if i meet you on the trail and i offend im sorry lol. Also i use a shelter or my hammock and tarp no big knives i like my leatherman. oh what else carry what you want its your back and knees .

mweinstone
02-01-2006, 17:40
marmot -20 col eq 900 fill down 700.00
every stitch of clothing is patagonia >700.00
asolo boots 215.00
titanium everythin
msr,black diamond everything else with a smattering of nalge.
i work hard and i buy the most exspensive everything.
im a welfafe babie who owns no furniture,no possesions ,no car,house,no savings,no insurance,no education,no chick,no dishes,no towels,one set of clothes,sleepin on the floor,no heat havin,bad boy who...............owns the ultimate gear since i was 15.i put all my money into gear.it must be the lightest,best or i dont have it.grew up hiking with a tube tent and an emergency blanket and string.watched thru hikers come thru PA each year and made myself a dream watching them.since then i allways keep the newest best all the time.never had cable or internet(using neighbors)or heat in my life. dont belive in it.i give money to the poor and i hike and i work and i illustrate the bible for 14 years in crayons with my eyes shut.weird and weirder.matthewski tells all.

sleepwalker
02-01-2006, 20:57
I think I might be the poster child for the GQ hiker. I have a terrible addiction to gear shopping. Although I do beleive, ultimately, you get what you pay for. Not only do I have my main configuration, I have auxiliary configs for whatever may come up...if I had not been buying hiking gear for the last few years, I could be driving a Bentley...but hey, you gotta do what you love.;)

Osprey Atmos 50 pack- $200
Marmot Helium EQ- $480
Sierra Designs Ultra Light Year- $150
MSR Titan Kettle- $40
Snowpeak Ti GigaPower- $62
Snowpeak 450 mug- $18
Arc'Teryx Alpha SV shell- $500(that I wear to work...tooth brush treatment every saturday!:D )
Arc'teryx Beta AR pant- $325
Arc'teryx Delta SV soft shell- $225
Marmot base layers(2 pair)- $35
First need purifier- $90
Gerber Nautilus Multitool- $60
Petzyl Myo XP Headlamp- $70
Komperdell Trail lite Titanal poles- $100
Asolo Fugitives- $165
2 pair wright sock merino wool- $40

$2560+ innumerable incidentals. But I like being comfy and the gear lasts forever. I know that could be accomplished for much less, like I said...a terrible addiction!:bse

timhines
02-01-2006, 22:12
dude, i don't even know what some of that stuff is. And at that price, i won't even google it!

I'm a cheap SOB, but i'm trying to break that mold and get stuff that will last instead of something i'll replace within a year or two.

Thank God for Sierra Trading Post.

sarbar
02-02-2006, 00:04
I have friends in the gear industry :D
I try to NEVER pay retail!
I am a gear whore. I "need" new gear every year..but due to to incredible guilt, I sell off my old gear when I get new gear.

I don't want to list what I own....I have 6 backpacks currently.

Thermarest pads? Uhhhhhh...I could start a hostel in my house.

But I am frugal-I look and look for what I want, trying on gear a zillion times. Waiting, waiting for a sale, a clearance, a coupon. Waiting for the inside scoop.

Two years ago, we were halfway thru our Wonderland hike, my friend Steve and me had our matching Ghosts on, both of us carrying minimal gear. We had daypack weights on. We encounted the SNOTTIEST people! That had been my first summer going truly light, and using a somewhat light pack. One lady stopped us up on the Cowlitz Divide-which is pretty far out, for only strong dayhikers-and proceeds to lecture on us, since there is "no way we were prepared for backpacking". We looked at her politely and asked her what her mileage was per day. Politely told her our schedule, and MPD. She stomped off. Later in the same day we encountered a group of external framers, carrying 50+ lb loads each. Same lecture.
On the same trip we encountered a pair of gents that showed up with new packs full of heavy, new gear. They quit one day in, and went shopping, and came back...lol!

I enjoy doing long dayhikes-of loops that are normally 2-4 day trips. It is fun! I don't run, I just keep walking, and never stop for more than 15 minutes. I still see everything..I just get to eat greasy pizza at night ;) I have gotten some very nasty comments from overloaded hikers.

Why, I can never understand! I am not skinny, nor am I 18. I am a typical early 30's female, who is packing a few extra lbs. Is it that they are cranky that they didn't think of going light?

I could do without the snotty comments about my FedEx padded mailers I use for a sit pad. "Planning on mailing something?" <rolling eyes>
Last summer I did my first trip with a daypack-and I felt SO free! Yet, on the way back, we encountered a number of groups of overburdened hikers who glared at me! It didn't help that I was with a heavy packing buddy of mine-and most likely it was assumed that he was carrying my crud.

Just Jeff
02-02-2006, 11:28
I could do without the snotty comments about my FedEx padded mailers I use for a sit pad. "Planning on mailing something?"

HAHA....THAT's funny! I'd probably say that (then quietly go get myself one). Actually, I might go get one for my next trip. You can even put extra clothes inside it for more insulation. That's a great idea...thanks for passing it on.

I think people just assume lightweight hikers aren't prepared, and that we're putting "imposing" on others by possibly putting ourselves in danger. And they're already cranky from carrying heavy packs all day! They just don't understand the principles of going lighter, so they don't realize that we can be just as safe and comfortable as them. No biggie.

I was asking a Ranger for a recommended loop hike in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness in SC and he asked me 4 times if I was backpacking. When I said yes, he was like, "Your putting everything you need in your pack and carrying it all to the next site?" Yes. "You won't need to go back to your car for anything?" No. My pack wasn't even very small by most lightweight standards - about 40L and 25lbs. I just smiled at him, took his advice on the route, and had an excellent hike.

Gray Blazer
02-02-2006, 15:47
I would say that I am probably the least GQ and cheapest hiker on the AT, although I would love to have one of those $300 2oz sleeping bags.

QHShowoman
02-02-2006, 16:07
I could do without the snotty comments about my FedEx padded mailers I use for a sit pad. "Planning on mailing something?" <rolling eyes="">

What a great idea!

Q. (off to the supply room at work to snag a few)
</rolling>

Alligator
02-02-2006, 16:29
Too bad, no padded ones here:( . But the non-padded 12X15 one weighed 0.6 oz on the postal scale. Cutting it and half and removing the flap could esily get that down to 0.3 oz.

sarbar
02-02-2006, 20:48
Too bad, no padded ones here:( . But the non-padded 12X15 one weighed 0.6 oz on the postal scale. Cutting it and half and removing the flap could esily get that down to 0.3 oz.

I hear the call of the wanker "wankerwankerwanker" :D (Lol..I hike with a lot of light packers, and if someone starts getting really into their light gear you'll hear one of us going "wankerwankerwanker!!" behind them :rolleyes: Like the time my buddy Steve decided to bring his WHITE seethru silnylon tarp on a trip in the snow. Pretty hilarious when he couldn't find his tarp after it snowed for 10 minutes. He is known as King Wanker.

I do love them FedEx padded mailers..all I do in summer is lift 2 every week :D When it gets good and dirty I toss 'em. Everyone snickers at me-and then the next trip? Yep, they have one rolled up :rolleyes:

Alligator
02-02-2006, 22:21
LOL, I was bored! The scale was right there:D . I'll never be an ultralighter, maybe I'll make wankerwanker. Com'n, you know if I didn't say cut it in half, someone else would have;) .

Are those padded mailers any good in the snow?

sarbar
02-03-2006, 00:08
LOL, I was bored! The scale was right there:D . I'll never be an ultralighter, maybe I'll make wankerwanker. Com'n, you know if I didn't say cut it in half, someone else would have;) .

They work great in snow..they are water proof.
The other reason I love them is for getting in and out of my tent. I lay one down right in front of the door-just tucked under the tent a bit. Then you have a clean place to put your feet when getting in and out. And to stand on when putting boots on.

Chef2000
02-03-2006, 15:59
If you have to ask how much it is, you probably can not afford ti

Twofiddy
02-03-2006, 23:55
2003 Florida Hiker Cool Foot.

He was like a walking GO-LITE BILLBOARD.

The dude got new clean trail runners at every road crossing.

Heater
02-04-2006, 02:04

Nice avatar! :D

Alligator
02-04-2006, 12:59
Nice avatar! :D
Slightly less detail than my rattlesnake picture
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=4230&original=1&c=665&userid=978
I may switch to white, but I don't know when I can free up another evening.

brz
02-05-2006, 07:55
Isn't it USUALLY the case that those that preach the most are the ones that need to learn the most?

One of the best pieces of wisdom that I have learned as a Teacher, Instructor is that the "We teach best what we need to learn most."(i.e. Everyone still has a lot to learn.)

I've found that those that usually pro-offer unsolicited advise are usually scared/ignorant (which is usually why they are so arrogant as arrogance is a cover for ingnorance and fear).

The process of "convincing" you is really an excercise in convincing themselves.

If you missed the "how to get along with people lecture," its rude to go around judging and critizing strangers. Its also quite dangerous - especially out in the wilderness where it's unlikely anyones going to ever find the body.

Skidsteer
02-05-2006, 10:03
Isn't it USUALLY the case that those that preach the most are the ones that need to learn the most?

One of the best pieces of wisdom that I have learned as a Teacher, Instructor is that the "We teach best what we need to learn most."(i.e. Everyone still has a lot to learn.)

I've found that those that usually pro-offer unsolicited advise are usually scared/ignorant (which is usually why they are so arrogant as arrogance is a cover for ingnorance and fear).

The process of "convincing" you is really an excercise in convincing themselves.

If you missed the "how to get along with people lecture," its rude to go around judging and critizing strangers. Its also quite dangerous - especially out in the wilderness where it's unlikely anyones going to ever find the body.

To whom are you speaking? :confused: :welcome

eightiesguy
02-05-2006, 11:32
I've gotten a good laugh out of many of these stories, so I thought I'd share a couple of my own from a trip last spring to Mt. Laconte. A group of four of us went on a weekend trip (3day, 2 night) hiking a loop to Icewater Springs shelter for night one and Mt Laconte Shelter for night two. Since we were staying in the shelters, we didn't take a tent, but our pack weight (including food and water) was probably around 30-35 lbs each (we are far from being lightweight LOL). On the morning of the third day, we left the shelter shortly after day break. About 2-3 miles down the trail we encountered our first group of day hikers (or hikers that were staying at the Laconte Lodge). We stopped for a couple of minutes and had some pleasant conversation with them and went on our way. When we got to the bottom of the last major decent before reaching the parkinglot, we stopped for a quick break (I always find going downhill more challenging than uphill). While sitting there, I look over and a little elderly woman is filming us with a video camera, and her husband is taking our picture. Come to find out they wanted pictures of the only "real hikers/mountain men" they had encountered on the trail. After talking with that couple for awhile we started on the remaining mile (if that, probably less) to the parking lot. About 100 yards down the trail we pass a couple that is going in the opposite direction. As we pass, we notice that the woman is wearing high heels. I don't mean little, wide heels.... these were 4"-5" stiletos (sp?). We got a little chuckle out of that as they passes us, and an even bigger laugh when they passed us again with the husband mumbling "I told you not to wear those shoes....what in the f@ck were you thinking?" Apparently they had gotten to the point where we had taken our break and decided that the woman couldn't handle the rocky up hill in those shoes. Guess that wasn't so much a story of having over priced gear, but a story of not being prepared for the hike.

vipahman
02-05-2006, 12:22
My ultralight 2-season setup weighs under 7 lbs fully loaded for a 2-day weekend and costs $630.

UberPest
02-13-2006, 13:09
As we pass, we notice that the woman is wearing high heels. I don't mean little, wide heels.... these were 4"-5" stiletos (sp?). We got a little chuckle out of that as they passes us, and an even bigger laugh when they passed us again with the husband mumbling "I told you not to wear those shoes....what in the f@ck were you thinking?" Apparently they had gotten to the point where we had taken our break and decided that the woman couldn't handle the rocky up hill in those shoes. Guess that wasn't so much a story of having over priced gear, but a story of not being prepared for the hike.

I went canoeing once and there was a girl like this helping her BF get the boat in the river... she was SHOCKED when he said she would have to paddle, too, and she started a screaming hysterical fit. My boat companion and I (a now-ex BF) were nearly struck by lightning on one of those legendary West Michigan "10% chance of light rain" days... never did see that couple again and I wonder what happened to them.

FWIW, I have some nice "high end" gear that I either traded for or got from backpackgeartest.org. I live on Indiana State Employee wages, so I have to get good stuff somewhere. I also make a lot of my own gear. I think my fav rain jacket, though, is my walmart special (stern's) unlined rainjacket. have one in green for work and another about the same color as my MSR missing link. I also really like my hand knit hat that fits just right because I made it. :)

Hey, here's an idea for staying busy in shelters-- size 3 circular needles and sock yarn only weighs about 4 oz, keeps you entertained on zero days AND you have a brand new pair of hiking socks when you're all done! I'll bet if you're halfway speedy you'll have a new pair just when your last ones give out. ta-da!

NINpigNIN
11-08-2006, 10:42
That was pretty dang funny to watch. That lady was also wearing ultra-tight blue jeans that we couldn't figure out how on earth she managed to squeeze her booty in to. :)

(On that trip, my pack weight was way over where it should be. The night before we got on the trail, I was trying to figure out which of my two watter bladders I was going to take with me. I filled up both to see how they fit in the pack. Just for giggles, I put 'em both in to see if it would fit. They did. And then I forgot they were both in there until after we were on the trail. D'OH! No chance of me getting dehydrated on that trip, that's for sure. And I learned to always double-check the contents of my pack before I leave the vehicle.)

Jim Adams
11-08-2006, 11:12
a few months ago BP magazine had sent people to wal-mart, army/navy etc. to see who could put together the best / cheapest pack for a thru hike. i sat down, went thru catalogues of outdoor gear on sale and put together a 14lb pack that only needed food and water to be thru hike capable. total cost was $566.
on the other hand go to the Whites in august, at a hut when they ring the dinner bell--looks like a friggin L.L.Bean commercial.
geek

ShakeyLeggs
11-08-2006, 11:25
This happened about 5 or so years ago. I was hiking here in PA and had been on the trail a few days already. I was coming up to a road crossing and saw this fellow coming up the trail with the biggest pack I had ever seen. He was all bent over under the weight and huffing and puffing. Did not look like a happy camper. As I always do I stopped and struck up a conversation with him. As we were talking the conversation as it always seems to do turned to gear. After a bit of gear comparison I was totally amazed at what he was carrying. He had gone to an outfitter and bought everything they recommended. Just as we were parting ways I had the thought to ask him if he was carrying an iron skillet. His reply was yes. And as he walked away I saw it lashed to the back of his massive pack.

Boat Drinks
11-08-2006, 13:01

Yup, that really pisses them off! It's kinda fun.:D

Footslogger
11-08-2006, 13:11
I think it would have to be a guy named "Tinkerbell" or "JingleBells" (or something along those lines) in 2003. He had 1" metal bells tied to his boot laces so needless to say you could hear him coming a mile away and by the time we got to Irwin we had all had our fill of bells.

Anyway ...the guy was dressed to the 9's and had the latest and most expensive gear I had ever seen on any hiker, much less someone who was supposedly going "all the way". I say "supposedly" because after a while he faded away and was never seen again.

I actually did meet and speak with him once or twice and all I can remember was that he was in his 50's, had a dark suntan and wore obnoxious cologne/aftershave. He seemed to be in pretty good shape and made a somewhat public ritual of stretching and flexing. His goal (stated by him) was to meet the ladies, which to my knowledge never ocurred.

'Slogger

dloome
11-08-2006, 18:53
I'm kind of all over the place, but overall probably on the low end of things. I spend the money on the more important gear- Super sexy down bag, high-end ice axe, high quality insulation, etc. On the other hand, I like the $3 el cheapo Duofold t-shirts from Campmor, stripped down Golite pack, shabby home made stuff sacks, pepsi bottles, beer can stove, etc.

I camped near a couple on the Superior Trail in northern MN earlier this year that had the most swank gear I've seen, all of it brand spanking new and purchased specifically for a 50 mile trip on the trail- Arc Teryx rain gear, that one Mountain Hardwear pack that looks like a spaceship with that silly yoke thing, brand new full leather boots, probably 4 Nalgenes each, new Leki yuppie poles with shocks, massive Primus stove, stainless steel cook set, huge free standing tent, I don't even know what kind it was, Western Mountaineering bags, these silly OR hats. They looked like they were on a safari. I'd guess a good $6,000 worth of gear among the two of them. For 50 miles.

It was pretty entertaining, they'd obviously been taken advantage of big time by a salesman and had all kinds of ridiculous crap- Folding spatula, big thing of waterproof matches, bear canisters, mugs. I was fastpacking the whole trail (206 miles) in just over 5 days and had trouble convincing them I had just hiked 46 miles that day. When they saw my pack with 5 lbs of well worn gear inside, they kept asking me questions as if they were concerned about my safety. At the same time, they had their stove INSIDE their tent cooking canned beef stew in an active bear area. When I made a few gentle suggestions such as losing some of the extravagent cooking gear, they just nodded and smiled as if humoring me. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2006, 19:50
Slogger, that's pretty funny.

Reminds me of one I haven't told in awhile:

Back in '03 we were somehow SURROUNDED by these terrified folks really into bear bells, and I mean, TOTALLY into them----they were tied to their trekking poles, strung thru their boot laces, hanging from their packs, they were everywhere, and they were driving us nuts. In addition to hearing this horrible jingle-jangle clinking all day long, your chances of seeing wildlife disappear when you're anywhere near folks with bells.

We tried to get ahead of them, but somehow they always caught up. We tried slowing down and letting them get way ahead, but then THEY'D slow down and we'd catch up.

Finally, we got back on the scoreboard by buying up a s***load of bells in this dollar store in town, got a day ahead of them, and waited.

As great luck would have it, we came across this titanic pile of bear crap a few days later, and quite deftly managed to insert a string of bells into the center of the pile. Anyone hiking from the south could not help but see this enormous turd pile.....with a few dented bells and this forlorn little piece of ribbon sticking out.

We were quite curious to how our musical friends reacted to this little tableaux, but alas, we never saw them again.

We heard they got off pretty soon after that, and we were consumed with guilt over this for quite some time, like for at least a minute and a half.

To this day, every time I hear bells in the woods, I smile.

Footslogger
11-08-2006, 20:34
[quote=Jack Tarlin;268587]Slogger, that's pretty funny.

Reminds me of one I haven't told in awhile:
===============================

Jack ...do you remember the guy I'm talking about ??

Last time I saw him was at No Business shelter. You and I were in Irwin at the same time in '03 so I'm guessing you at least heard of him.

Anyway, like you, when I hear bells or someone tells the "dangerous bear" story I always think of that dude. Bet he's STILL out there somewhere trying to hook up with the babes.

'Slogger

hopefulhiker
11-09-2006, 08:56
Well I am sort of ashamed of this but if you went by list price, I probably had the most expensive gear (list price) on the trail.... I am not proud of it, and in some ways consider it a weakness... I figured that money was one of the few advantages that I had as an old out of shape hiker... The only consolation I have was that I did not pay full price and got most of the gear used on ebay.... It was a trip that I had been dreaming about for thirty some years... I think that people could accomplish the hike for a fraction of the gear cost that I spent.....

Gaiter
11-09-2006, 10:42
I could do without the snotty comments about my FedEx padded mailers I use for a sit pad. "Planning on mailing something?" <rolling eyes>

Learned this from Lil'red, use a placematt, like for kitchen tables, get the rubber one (i think its rubber please correct me if i'm wrong), light and durable. I found one at dollar general for a buck or two, it was a blue flower (find one to fit your personality). Folded it in half and rolled it up.

Newb
11-09-2006, 12:28
I was hiking overnight out of Harpers Ferry last spring and ran into two kids who were NBing from Harpers to Katahdin. I say kids, they were about 20/21 or so.
These guys had hiked from Harpers to the first shelter northbound (about 4 miles, just above Weverton cliffs). They were pooped, and ready to hang it up for the day (at noon). So, I took an interest in what they were carrying. I couldn't believe it..

They both had first aid kits that would be the envy of a field medic. They both had rope, though they weren't planning on climbing. They had voluminous amounts of clothing, full cooking kits, Boots, sandals, shoes...every doodad and widget you could imagine in their packs. I sat with them and calmly explained what they should drop off at the first opportunity...I must have pulled 20 pounds of stuff off each of them.

I hope they made it.

Nightwalker
11-13-2006, 05:34
Honestly I don't normally pay attention to that. The only time I ever remember someone sticking out was a couple of day hikers near Mount Rogers with matching outfits that looked like they came straight from the LL Bean catalog or something.

I saw this guy in early April of '05 at Tray Mtn. that looked like one of those sissy LL Bean models. He had a beautifully trimmed beard and a gigantic altimeter/watch/whatever thingie on that he was SO proud of. There isn't room here for the whole story, but you shoulda been there...

Nightwalker
11-13-2006, 05:51
Mags, your above comments about fastpacking brings up a sore point with me.

You know, when did irresponsible marketing replace service to customers? This is one of my BIG BIG nitpicks with most industries. No one is out there to service the customer anymore, they are all out there to sell at any cost.

There is a local outfitter here in Greenville that I personally like. But I have had varying opinions from other residents of our fair city that have visited and then had friends visit a few days later that have gotten varying opinions from this outfitter on what gear would be appropriate, and they were essentially asking the same question.

Although I haven't has this happen to me (although I cannot be 100% sure), it put the thought into my mind and theirs that this outfitter might push whatever he needs to get rid of. That is the Death Knell for any local outfitter. You have to have the trust of the market. For a small store, you have to love your customers and do right by them….and then the rest should fall in line.

Whatever happened to loving your customer? I personally am a good buyer…meaning if I trust someone and I need a piece of gear, price becomes a lesser concern. You already have my money if you do right by me. Don't worry about the sale. Get me what I need in good quality. Most of my hiking friends are the same way. They will spend the money if it is something needed and it is good quality.

Let's get back to the customer.

Sorry for the rant,
Dawg

You've GOT to be talking about Appalachian Outfitters, right?

skeeterfeeder
11-13-2006, 05:57
I was in Maine when I arrived at a shelter that already had two weekend hikers there. The two 'hikers' had enough gear four four thru hikers and a friend. They had a four man tent, camp chairs and table and lots of other stuff. And they were outfitted like models for LL Bean. I was really expecting to see a tv.

iamscottym
12-01-2006, 06:20
Sadly, I fell under the category of yuppie geared out hiker this past trip. In my defense, I hadn't hiked since jr high(now in college) so I had to buy all new gear.

Osprey Crescent 85 $400
Marmot Pinnacle 15F $300
Thermarest Prolite 4 $100
Jetboil $80
Steripen $100
Garmin 60CSX $500
Asolo Boots w/ superfeet $200
REI zip off pants $40
Under Armour short sleeve shirt(2) $50
Under armour long sleeve $50
TNF Light weight tights $50
TNF heavy weight tights $50
Smartwool socks(3 pairs) $50
Smartwool liners (3 pairs) $50
Big Agnes SL1 $250
Ipod $300
Marmot Rain pants $100
TNF shell $300
TNF fleece hat $30
TNF fleece gloves $30
TNF Down jacket $200
Tikka XP $40
Snow Peak Ti Cup $30
Ti Spork $10
Asst'd other crap..don't wanna know

And for the pleasure of spending $3500 on gear...an 80lb pack with 2 weeks worth of food (both my dad and I), + some of his gear.
Now I'm in the process of blowing more money, but this time saving some weight. :)

rswanson
12-01-2006, 15:38
This thread is a real hoot. Reading stories about overburdened, inexperienced hikers killing themselves under 60+ lb. loads never ceases to amuse me! Likewise, the backpackers I meet who express concern about my safety after comparing my pack to their mobile warehouse. But neophyte hikers aren't the only ones guilty of this...Some time ago I read a great story over at BPL by (I think) Ryan Jordan, talking about a backcountry ranger in the Yellowstone or some such that almost made him leave the trail because of his tiny pack. It wasn't until he pulled all his gear out and convinced the ranger that he had his bases covered that he was allowed to hike on.

The Weasel
12-01-2006, 15:56
Slickest and most pricey....ahhhhhh, the memory!

It was in early May in GSMNP - Smoky Mountain Steve will remember too - and I arrived at the first shelter north of Newfound Gap, where Steve was, to my pleasure, serving as the Shelter Host. A fine place, and among the first to arrive was an older - remember, I was 53 then - guy was there with his wife. She was, in every respect, a true trophy. Perhaps 30, blonde, and just flat out, howling at the moon, gorgeous. With a great big, honkin' huge diamond ring and, yes, it was apparently their honeymoon. So right there, I think she was a little pricier than not only the rest of us, but everyone else.

They were section hiking in some loop, and we chatted (as did every other male there did), and everyone ate and finally went to sleep. (To sleep! Perchance to dream! Oh my.)

Well, anyhow, their gear wasn't anything far beyond normal, until, the next morning, she pulled out a very expensive leather case from her pack, filled with cosmetics. Those of us still there watched, awestruck, as she did a complete makeup jog there on the shelter ledge. There must have been a thousand bucks of stuff in that case. Damn.

Her guy and her sort of hemmed and hawwed as the rest of us finally departed. Anything else that occured is both off-topic and, being unknown to me, something that only Steve might be able to relate.

The Weasel

BlackCloud
12-01-2006, 16:56
It was somewhere in Maryland south of PenMar, but I ran across several models and a photo crew taking shots for a catalog. Obviously they had all the latest stuff.....

rswanson
12-01-2006, 18:33
Well, anyhow, their gear wasn't anything far beyond normal, until, the next morning, she pulled out a very expensive leather case from her pack, filled with cosmetics.
I still can't get my wife to leave the deodorant at home if we're out for more than a night.

troglobil
12-01-2006, 19:10
most of my gear is along the lines of your average WB'er. However, my other main hobby is caving and I have developed a weakness for headlamps. I am sad to say that I have to date spend over $1400 on varoius models. My favorite was $300+ by itself. Luckily my wife is either very understanding or has just flat out gave up.

Just Jeff
12-01-2006, 19:28
Flat out gave up, or just flat out gave up understanding?

That's some pretty serious dough on head lamps. I'm about like that on bags, though. I have, in no particular order...
- 35 F synthetic Wiggys bag
- 0 F synthetic Wiggys bag that mates to it
- Speer PeaPod, 900fp, 2 oz overstuff
- JRB NS
- JRB Nest
- JRB Weather Shield top and bottom
- Two homemade synthetic quilts
- REI TravelSack
- Cheap synthetic 20F bag
- Two down insulated hammocks
- One synthetic insulated hammock
- Sierra Designs Wicked Fast down 30F bag

I think that's it. Maybe it's time to clean out the gear locker...

troglobil
12-01-2006, 19:32
gave up asking why I need another light.

briarpatch
12-01-2006, 22:54
Slogger, that's pretty funny.
. . . Anyone hiking from the south could not help but see this enormous turd pile.....with a few dented bells and this forlorn little piece of ribbon sticking out. . . .

An old joke but a good one:

When in areas where bears are known to be active, you should do 3 things to prepare:
1) Carry bear strength pepper spray
2) Tie little bells to your boots so the bears can hear you coming
3) Watch for bear crap and try to determine whether its black bear crap or grizzly bear crap. If it has seeds and undigested berries in it, its probably black bear crap. If it has little bells in it and smells like pepper, its grizzly bear crap.