PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Magazine

Game Warden
09-03-2013, 17:59
I've been subscribing to Backpacker Magazine for a couple years now. If I was a new hiker, I would draw two conclusions about backpacking from their magazine: First, backpacking is extremely expensive; every piece of gear or clothing costs at least $300, regardless of what it is or what it does. Second, backpacking is extremely dangerous; hikers are always getting washed away in floods, struck by lightning, eaten by bears, falling off cliffs, bit by snakes, etc. Their local hike info is good, but they seem beholden to their advertisers at the expense of content. I bet you will never find an DIY alcohol stove article, or supermarket hiker-food article, cuz that might impact their advertisers. I sometimes feel like I'm reading a catalog instead of a hiking magazine. Ultimately, if backpacking is perceived as dangerous and expensive, there will be fewer backpackers. Is there a better magazine out there?

flemdawg1
09-03-2013, 18:02
Nope, there isn't a Dirtbagger Magazine. BPer is as good as it gets in print, the articles on BackpackingLight.com are good though.

hikerboy57
09-03-2013, 18:08
whiteblaze is unavailable in print

Different Socks
09-03-2013, 18:09
I stopped my subscrription a few years ago b/c it seemed like every year they would talk about the same things: Do it this way, how to use a compass, first aid, how to stay in shape, avoid this, reading the sky, how to stay dry/warm/cool/positive, etc. For awhile I would simply read it hoping that they featured a new place to go or a trail I've never done. After 15 years or so, it got awfully redundant. A few years back there was a mag called Adventure West, and another called National Geo Adventure, and a 3rd called Outdoor Odysey or something like that. All 3 were good mags, but they have stopped printing them. Those 3 would publish stories c about many things I'd never seen in 15 years of BPers.

da fungo
09-03-2013, 18:11
The same criiticisms apply, in the same degree, to Outside magazine, and to National Geographic's Acventure Travel, before it folded.BP Mag does have some DIY and self-help info on their website.

hikerboy57
09-03-2013, 18:13
their trip reports are now useless unless you use gps.
no descriptions, only waypoints.
makes for fascinating reading

Mags
09-03-2013, 18:32
Check out Trailgroove.com

Basically an on-line magazine dedicated to backpacking. "Real world" reviews, gorgeous photography, good tips and excellent writing. Give a look.

Rasty
09-03-2013, 18:44
Backpacker Magazine has been mediocre for close to twenty years. Most magazines in general are mediocre. The whole thing is designed to facilitate advertisements.

The only great magazine is M.A.D. magazine. What me Worry

nastynate
09-03-2013, 18:44
Yep, Trail Groove is awesome!

garlic08
09-03-2013, 18:48
I read it at the library. Then I don't get mad that I subscribe to it, and once in a while find an article that basically says I'm doing something right.

It seems like if they tell you how to lighten your load, it's only so you have more room to buy more expensive stuff. Buy a single-wall tent so you can buy a titanium espresso maker!

Rasty
09-03-2013, 19:13
Check out Trailgroove.com

Basically an on-line magazine dedicated to backpacking. "Real world" reviews, gorgeous photography, good tips and excellent writing. Give a look.

Just subscribed. Thanks looks really good.

Slo-go'en
09-03-2013, 19:23
You could submit an article, there's a slight chance they'd publish it.

Game Warden
09-03-2013, 19:23
TG looks good, but I want a print magazine. I spend all day looking at puter screens as it is, even though I am a "professional" outdoorsman. Also a print mag reaches out to you when you pull it out of your mailbox. It reminds you that you are not a chairborne ranger, even if you are at that moment. An online mag waits for you to come to it, when you're already in the zone. It lacks the palpability and immediacy of print.

mtnkngxt
09-03-2013, 20:34
Just signed up for trailgroove. BPL has been a let down since 2011, and is only getting worse. I needed a fresh site and writers. Thanks Mags!

Drybones
09-03-2013, 20:42
I stopped subscribing when they stopped with the annual gear listing, that was the only reason I subscribed.

MuddyWaters
09-03-2013, 21:01
Magazines in the US pretty much exist only to sell advertisements.
Certainly not to bring you honest and unbiased information.

Drybones
09-03-2013, 21:13
Magazines in the US pretty much exist only to sell advertisements.
Certainly not to bring you honest and unbiased information.

They're in the business to make money, can't blame them for doing whatever it takes to be profitable, trick is to find a business model that works long term.

Game Warden
09-03-2013, 21:24
They must balance between attracting advertisers, and also subscribers to read them, finding the right balance. BP has erred towards the advertisers. Hate to say it, but I won't be renewing. I get better hiking info from Field & Stream.

Dogwood
09-03-2013, 21:32
Funny thing. I just picked up the Sept issue of Backpacker mag today at Barnes and Noble. I don't currently have a subscription. I often try to get what I want out of it, AND I ALWAYS FIND THINGS IN EVERY SINGLE ISSUE THAT INTEREST ME AND CAN MAKE ME A BETTER HIKER, by reading it through at the library or at B & N. I'm ALWAYS getting ideas from BP. I take notes down from every issue. I think BP has done a very good job of expanding their variety of topics, diversity of hikes and hiking locals, and content!

While BP may not always hit every hiker's hot button hiking topics like they would like on a monthly basis, I get tired of the BP naysayers. I seek to find value where others may be missing it when it's right under their noses. I strongly doubt that anyone here knows how to run a national magazine that's issued on a monthly basis. Just as in the TV and radio mediums the print medium often survives not solely on subscriptions but to varying degrees on advertising dollars. We need to remember that. You wouldn't get to watch the Super Bowl unless advertising was involved. Same here. Take that into context when you start bashing BP for supporting its advertisers. And, before you all get on the BP bashing bandwagon glance through some other mags. You'll see much of the same if not more of that catalog experience. I think BP does a good job NOT just catering to its advertisers. IMHO, they've kept well aware of their readership and primarily cater to that side of the biz in putting out a monthly on target with a good variety of backpacking related topics magazine. The hiking content is there if you look for it!

I've been subscribing to Backpacker Magazine for a couple years now. If I was a new hiker, I would draw two conclusions about backpacking from their magazine: First, backpacking is extremely expensive; every piece of gear or clothing costs at least $300, regardless of what it is or what it does. Second, backpacking is extremely dangerous; hikers are always getting washed away in floods, struck by lightning, eaten by bears, falling off cliffs, bit by snakes, etc. Their local hike info is good, but they seem beholden to their advertisers at the expense of content. I bet you will never find an DIY alcohol stove article, or supermarket hiker-food article, cuz that might impact their advertisers. I sometimes feel like I'm reading a catalog instead of a hiking magazine. Ultimately, if backpacking is perceived as dangerous and expensive, there will be fewer backpackers. Is there a better magazine out there?

I think BP has been offering up Survival or countering trail threat topics for some time. It makes sense as SO MANY people are bound up in fear and some of these scenarios are a real concern for some backpackers.

BP's coverage, for the size that it is, in its variety of hiking location info, is very well done! One of the things that I immensely enjoy each month is them telling me about new locations to hike.

In regards to not having articles on DIY alcohol stoves and supermarket hiker-food ideas cuz that might impact their advertisers that is simply not true! For example, within the last few months BP had articles on these topics. Actually, EACH MONTH. they provide DIY gear ideas/fixes/etc and have recipe articles describing how you can go into grocery stores and make your own meals! I think they have done a very good job of expanding their trails food articles and bringing different out of the box trail food ideas to light!

I stopped subscribing when they stopped with the annual gear listing, that was the only reason I subscribed - DryBones

What? BP does a separate gear review issue each yr dedicated to JUST that topic. It's quite comprehensive with new product evaluations, specs, etc. Where I think it lacks, from my perspective, is that it doesn't always go as deeply into the emerging and established UL cottage market as I would personally like. That may be for several reasons ONE of which, admittedly, may be advertising related. They also have monthly gear review bits.

MuddyWaters
09-03-2013, 21:33
I used to read a british boating mag, talk about night/day difference with american.
Real articles, real tests, not afraid to rip a shoddy product to shreds.

American magazines suck up to mfgs, period.

Of course, when you realize who actually owns many of the magazines, you begin to understand. What a tangled web is woven for the consumer

johnnybgood
09-03-2013, 21:34
The "see this now" articles and local hikes near you are the main gems, if you can find them.

NY HIKER 50
09-03-2013, 21:42
They did a DIY alcohol stove in their mag. earlier this year. I agree that everything is expensive. It's like anything else: We're here for the advertizers. That means 300.00 jackets, 150.00 stoves and VERY expensive tents. I don't know of any magazine out there. Here's wht I usually do: I subscribe for a given amount of issues, then stop for a few years. Nothing really changes. They have not come out with much of anything new except the new water resistant down. Do we really need a 500.00 tent to survive?

hikerboy57
09-03-2013, 21:53
its just walkin

hikerboy57
09-03-2013, 21:54
The "see this now" articles and local hikes near you are the main gems, if you can find them.
you need a gps. they use waypoints instead of page numbers

coach lou
09-03-2013, 21:57
Still looking for that 'Outdoor Youth Organization' that wants a 90% complete 38 year old Backpacker/Wilderness Camping magazine collection. Backbone of a great 'Troop Library' :)

Game Warden
09-03-2013, 22:14
Dogwood, I didn't know there was a BPer-bashing bandwagon. I thought I was the only one, How do I get on the bandwagon? Will it cost me $300? Also, I know you speak with authority because you use lots of CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamation marks!!!!

Dogwood
09-03-2013, 22:28
You honestly don't know what you're talking about when you say things like this in referring to BP's content: "If I was a new hiker, I would draw two conclusions about backpacking from their magazine: First, backpacking is extremely expensive; every piece of gear or clothing costs at least $300, regardless of what it is or what it does."

and

"....I agree that everything is expensive. It's like anything else: We're here for the advertizers. That means 300.00 jackets, 150.00 stoves and VERY expensive tents.,,,, Nothing really changes. They have not come out with much of anything new except the new water resistant down. Do we really need a 500.00 tent to survive?

BS. While what's expensive can be relative to the individual, BP has "Best Bargain", "Cheap Deal", "Killer Deal", etc gear recommendations WELL UNDER the prices your exaggerating about, as well as other money saving tips/alternatives. I would like to see them expand their content on lower priced gear options and DIY gear topics though. Don't you think that voicing your concerns DIRECTLY to BP would be more constructive input being part of positively influencing the direction of the content of the mag?

Before you say something as if its so absolute about the mag go to their website and do a "Cheap(inexpensive) Rain/Wind Jacket" or "Bargain Backpacking Stove Deals" search and see what they come up with! You're may be more likely to find some useful recommendations.

magic_game03
09-03-2013, 22:40
American Alpine Journal (AAJ) is what brings goosebumps to my skin page after page, especially some of their older editions.

Dogwood
09-03-2013, 22:45
Dogwood, I didn't know there was a BPer-bashing bandwagon. I thought I was the only one, How do I get on the bandwagon? Will it cost me $300? Also, I know you speak with authority because you use lots of CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamation marks!!!!

Say what you want about me but get it right of you're going to condemn. No doubt, there's room for improvement in BP, but YOU(as in capital letters) said, "every piece of gear or clothing they recommend is at least $300." Ridiculous unfounded exaggeration.

Here's just one article that Karen Hosttetler refers to in BP about rain jackets that all cost around $100. While none BP directly talks about itself is in the Frogg Togg price range nevertheless a reader weighed in on it. You can get advice that way too.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/277

Drybones
09-04-2013, 14:52
[QUOTE=Game Warden;1524200]Dogwood, I know you speak with authority because you use lots of CAPITAL LETTERS and exclamation marks!!!![/QUOTE ]

*@%875%, &%**&, @!#$*^%!

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 16:30
LOL, It's not meant to be authoritative just emphatic!!!!!

rocketsocks
09-04-2013, 17:02
I don't currently subscribe to it, though I do peruse it on the news stand...if I see something I like and have to have, I buy it. I did subscribe for about two years, than let it slip away to other interests. I'm sure I'll subscribe again, but I limit myself to one mag subscription a year...this is not backpackers year. I think it's a pretty good mag, and I usually find something in it that makes it worth my time.

treesloth
09-04-2013, 17:22
LOL, It's not meant to be authoritative just emphatic!!!!!

I thought you were the pontificator? I'm starting to lose track of all your nicknames.

At any rate, to the original OP: If you think hiking can be an expensive sport, try skydiving.

Two Speed
09-04-2013, 18:13
I view Backpacker the same as the National Enquirer. I'll read a copy for grins and giggles if I find one laying around but there's no way I'm gonna pay for that crap.

Drybones
09-04-2013, 18:52
Speak of the Devil, a copy just came in the mail and I didn't re-subscribe, it's a good read for the john, or at least look at the pictures.

Drybones
09-04-2013, 18:58
If you think hiking can be an expensive sport, try skydiving.

My son got into skydiving and called his Mom all excited about buying a used parachute for $5000 (?), told her it was a great deal and only had a few bad rips that needed patching...had her convinced...guess torturing mother is part of a kids job description.

da fungo
09-04-2013, 19:26
I think the best light-weght, minimal equipment information is in Hustler.(If it's still published.)

Mother Natures Son
09-04-2013, 19:42
I haven't subscribed to Backpacker for several years because it started to read like the Conde Nast travel magazine. It seems lately they've become a clone of their former co-magazine, Bicycling. Better known as Buy-cyling. It seems that moving to Boulder hasn't changed that rag but only made them worse.

ki0eh
09-04-2013, 20:41
I have subscribed for years as an AHS member. They started adding some more Eastern hikes after the mag moved west but they talk about all the same old places for the most part. They would do well to get more editorial ideas from their own forums to freshen things up a bit.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2013, 20:59
TG looks good, but I want a print magazine. I spend all day looking at puter screens as it is, even though I am a "professional" outdoorsman. Also a print mag reaches out to you when you pull it out of your mailbox. It reminds you that you are not a chairborne ranger, even if you are at that moment. An online mag waits for you to come to it, when you're already in the zone. It lacks the palpability and immediacy of print.

GW a couple of years back I would have agreed with you - then I find out from written story to print for most mags is 6 months... have you considered Kindle? Over last weekend I was down at the shore and had a three hour drive home ... I didn't have my favorite mag or kindle book.... so I sucked it off the cloud onto my smart phone... its always at your fingertips..

rickb
09-04-2013, 21:00
Bunch of snobs. Where else are you going to read about boiling water in a plastic bottle.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2013, 21:25
its just walkin

Funny how LW's observation has caught on round here....

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 21:28
I have subscribed for years as an AHS member. They started adding some more Eastern hikes after the mag moved west but they talk about all the same old places for the most part. They would do well to get more editorial ideas from their own forums to freshen things up a bit.

To keep a national mag devoted to one topic, such as backpacking, continually interesting to that broad of a readership base on a regular basis is a tiresome under appreciated job requiring great creativity to keep things fresh. If you think you can do it better than do it or at least do what kiOeh and myself are suggesting - provide fresh input to Backpacker through the editorial process or contact them by email, phone, in writing, etc about the direction you wish the mag to take. I get tired of people complaining and not doing much of ANYTHING or offering solutions to change things. Bitch Bitch Bitch. And, when the bitching starts the tendency around WB is for others to join in. This can apply to quite a few topics here on WB. I get tired with it. That hostel permit denial in Front Royal is another prime example

Personally, I think Backpacker has done a fairly reasonable job in being conscientious of their national readership by expanding the variety and geographical range of the hiking opps that we are afforded in the U.S. and to a lesser extent internationally that might appeal to its readership. BP does not just have an east coast or AT focused readership! I'm going to say something that some here might take offense at. We talk about that sense of entitlement that some thru-hikers have. I think that can definitely also apply to entitled east coast or entitled AT focused hikers.

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 21:34

To keep a national mag devoted to one topic, such as backpacking, continually interesting to that broad of a readership base on a regular basis is a tiresome under appreciated job requiring great creativity to keep things fresh. If you think you can do it better than do it or at least do what kiOeh and myself are suggesting - provide fresh input to Backpacker through the editorial process or contact them by email, phone, in writing, etc about the direction you wish the mag to take. I get tired of people complaining and not doing much of ANYTHING or offering NO solutions to change things. Bitch Bitch Bitch. And, when the bitching starts the tendency around WB is for others to join in. This can apply to quite a few topics here on WB. I get tired with it. That hostel permit denial in Front Royal is another prime example

Personally, I think Backpacker has done a fairly reasonable job in being conscientious of their national readership by expanding the variety and geographical range of the hiking opps that we are afforded in the U.S. and to a lesser extent, internationally, that might appeal to its readership. BP does not just have an east coast or AT focused readership! I'm going to say something that some here might take offense at. We talk about that sense of entitlement that some thru-hikers have. I think that can definitely also apply to entitled east coast or entitled narrow minded AT focused hikers.

treesloth
09-04-2013, 21:36
My son got into skydiving and called his Mom all excited about buying a used parachute for $5000 (?), told her it was a great deal and only had a few bad rips that needed patching...had her convinced...guess torturing mother is part of a kids job description.

Truth. I tortured mine a bit as well, but I couldn't help it. It was a very broke and very fun time of my life. But tell her to do some research please. The dangerous part of skydiving is driving to and from the drop zone. Sorry for the thread drift.

treesloth
09-04-2013, 21:38
Funny how LW's observation has caught on round here....

He sure is a trendsetter

Rasty
09-04-2013, 21:43
I think Dogwood needs to go hiking just slightly more then me.

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 22:12

Oh no, not at all. I enjoy endless posting and hrs here on WB compared to being out on a hike.

No argument from me. Damn right you are Rasty.

hikerboy57
09-04-2013, 22:19
dogwood has something of a point. just as here we answer the SAME QUESTIONS over and over again, so does backpacker, and in the end ITS JUST WALKING. im not sure what we're looking for in a magazine anyway.lighter duct tape?most products shown are placed by advertisers, thats undeniable.but they do show a variety of price points. what i no longer can understand is advertising any kind of heavy equipment. whether you're doing long distance, or just a weekender, is there really a place for a 7lb pack?but just like rei, and ems, the magazine doesnt cater towards the lightweight category, rather to a much broader base that their advertisers want to sell to .thats what the whole purpose of a magazine is. advertising space.i do check out the online version from time to time.
i however never get tired of the bitching. its what KEEPS ME COMING BACK to wb.

johnnybgood
09-04-2013, 22:20
Geez...must I ask again ?
Who needs to stop posting and go hiking....

hikerboy57
09-04-2013, 22:22
i leave for maine 4am sunday morning for 8 days.
chompin at the bit

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAkGBxQTEhUUExQWFRQXFxcYFxcXFxgYGBcaFxcXFxgYFx gYHCggGBolHBgUITEhJSksLi4uFx8zODMsNygtLisBCgoKDg0O GxAQGiwlICQsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLC wsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLP/AABEIAPkAygMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAcAAABBQEBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAFAAIDBAYHAQj/xABAEAABAwIEAwUGAwYFBAMAAAABAAIRAyEEBRIxQVFhBhNxgZ EiMqGx0fAHUsEUI0JisuEkM3KC8RWSotI0Q1P/xAAaAQACAwEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAwABBAUG/8QAJREAAgICAgICAgMBAAAAAAAAAAECEQMhEjEiQQQyUWETQnE U/9oADAMBAAIRAxEAPwDuKZVqBoLiYAEk9AnoB2vx4ZRLB7z7eA4 lDKSirZcVboMYPFsqtD2EOaeIUxXLMkzSph3ksu0+8w7HqORW8 wvaOg9mou0ni07+XNBjyqSDnjcWQ47PdJhsKoe05HKVlsdi9Ty RtJjw4KqaiVPM10MjjTNTW7RvPH0sh2Kzt54lCTiWtBLuCG4rN BpJaL9Vnnll+TRDBfSDT81dzKnZjnniVkw6rLSJJJG0QOZMq6/MS0mdv1S1m/Y1/FaNAMwdzKlbmTttRWU/biX+9ZXaWp3uuEcjujWZi5fH4q2arD5m8GZK1OXZkHgA2d81zO pmIpD2gfEXR3sxj6b3atdmiQ0buPKOC148hmnifZtcdixTbJ34 BZTFEvcXOMn5eClxmIdUcSSOgnYKPujwhJzZOWgscOOxlOjeyt huyZTPOy9qVL2SQ27DeUs3PKyJqrl1OKYnc39VaXRxqooySdsS SSSMESSSShBJJJKEPHGLrmOfY01aridpMdBwXTagsfArkGaVoq OHVZPlt8UaPjrbGtcp2jiqsyFYbTMLHF7NbVkOOxAY0uJ29fAB CqmZuMFsjnZFMThu8ERdXMu7PuIhwE/p1KZtkThFbMpVxD6ogbcZ681OMG/QXG5aJaG31ReOi6LgOy9No9q/QWCKsyqk0QKbY8E1fGk9sB/MUdROLHE4ys5oZg3OgyD7UeZECPFXD2fx9QnvKbKcjq4z5bWXZ GUQLAADkE1xA4Smf88UhT+ZP0znGEyItgaTYXMXKNUcrB4x4wt Q5x4NHmoatQR7TQEt4or2U88pGbxeTBwiYPqPBQYbBmmbC44j9 FoHU23v8VWceSF0hkZspUCWmTN1dw+KndQF42+CqGsATwCS9dB 9h6s8Qq+Fd3j2sH5h6cSqj8Rqa0bz+iMdlcKC8vj3W/Eo4LlJICXjFs1bBAhepJLpmESSSShBJJJKEEkkkoQ8XLu2uSPp VC8CWOMg/oupIb2hDTh6gdEEWnnwSssFKOxmObjI4/hqsxK0ODoyAIlCv2Vo2F5RzLpY25gLnRas3S6COEy9vvH6IpR3 sBCCPzR0GNuZsh1TGvcS5zj0ATlljES8bl2bkHrK8LlnckxTnT tCN1KkC61xyKSsyzx8XQ6oSlSKibUlSSpbsqiPHYsMbtKCHGaj Kizd1TVvA4DZD6VVwsduqx5crbNeLGkrClSv14bKJ9+Kql0j1+ 7pzRfrH3KS2xqiWnwRBmUOxdPeL9IVrVxPh5KhmNUlh0+XXz8E LVhLRCyq5txMDhzW97FVWuoW31GfhC4m7te5pLXTA48fRWOznb +pRqzTsCfaa73XeNrHqteDFKDtiM01JUj6FSQ7Ic2biqLarLTY ji0jcIitxjEkkkoQSSSShBJJJKEIcViG02F7zDWiSVzbPO0ja9 SC/S0Wa39T1Xn4z52W0BRaSBMvItMRAHmuPf4gMbVc14Ydnf3SMvl 4j8a47o6hhqzS4wZg+St1qpcefgsv2OqF1HV/MRPPafE3WiYwzc38VglDi6NSd7JXckmN4Ql3UDqpaTomOHH4qk i2wxk7gDxNrnl0RiJ4IDkskx5nwWjAW7F9THm+xGynyXpC9aE8 NTEhTA2Z0zI4j5dUPDLefJHMewj2mm/I/VCalMxO31WXJHZpxy0UnU5M8jeE97eIiDw5p1ETsFMaUcf7pTW h1lTRzBv98VXrtIFo9NlexHx6pteIuY2QpEsweWdkKVR9atiKz adNlQjTcEWDruJs0hw2upc7w2V91opupaohr6Zu033i58+SXb3 JKj6ZqUSSAQ6pTH8WkQHxxIE2+i5vSdLgOZA+K2xXNXYrnxdUd o/B3tEQ19GpcB0T12ldeaZuFxf8Ncm7vDCoQQ6oS7/bs34XXSsrx5bY3b8vBOgqRnm02H0lHSrBwkFSIwBJJJKEEkkko Q4x+M2CJcLGCTJ6CHfJZTst2ob3b6GIAqMgaLD3diD4WXcO2WQ DFUSB74Fvp6Er5wwnZyqMT3BBDgYJ5DmlTiqY6E3Zt+zWA/dFzHQwveWC8kTH6LQ6Pdi9lVpUgxrWNENaAAPDf1Vtz4A8P1lc +bttmqPRYDR1PHwXjWW6KIVDwKlqXaI3VRZbQXyVwBJ8PPojpM LK9nqDi8zsL/RaWVtg6iZMn2J6VQSnVn2sqdMHgVMXIlIBoo4ytz4IPj8aHCL7 8P1Wgq4NrpnZZzMMI1lgLffql5Ivsdja6H5c8geakL7kx9VQy+ rpBHDf/hTOq/e+6yyY9IcXb3njbZR1myRxtfqnvHKD+vSOa91wZFoF/iqRbGUac3A8uiwfaPshprd5RaA1xOpvLmWx93XQ8PUAJEb/AH9FXzSkHNj4ixB5eCdGdC2r7H4LPcGzD03GvTYwRSu4CHNEFp G4NloaFdj2B1JzXsOzmkOB8CF86ZzgzTr1Gj85nlcyD6ELq34U 5+x9L9mLGMewFzdAgVJ94kfn4nmtinaM0sb20bmnWLSIJnoiuF zEGzrHnwQx4Vd7iq50BRqQV6stSx72e6fLgjGDzQO972T8Eakm RoIpLwFeoihLk2chv7VVeB7Rn0sIXWFzjtJlfdV3O4OuCkZ74j cP2BFGhzNyrJZb1UTHct057+C50qNqs9Y2IlW6U2QyoTqsdth8 1YbV4TA4qo6CZpMNiWU6YJsXTHgOK9/6uz7+7LNY7GFwB5CI5IbXxNh0G3zlaJZ3dIQsCZtW5m2feCfTx klYCnjCDIO/w80ay3MtUAT481IzbKlj4mxbiIsh2PpBwuRF9uChqPuIPiUyrJ BgzPzT07VMTVO0DnENtP8AdMqiOFvH4yq2p7C6RZpM9I8eCjfj faEbbnl/ayzOJqRYqYiHtjgL8/NWnVNQBBtf6+iDGt7XAiI+inw9cC03QsILMFwbnr85SzMHTqHN Nwtbeelxf4R4p+MeHU7KJ6KrZzHtrRDcS14Hv0wY6tJB+EeqPf hRhA7FMqAaQGPd5RoHnJQ3tgQX4dvGHny9kLS/hnX0MLtNwxjfKSfmFoUqimyqdNI6RUYqtVSnMGmyZWaIVykn0Z VFrsibVbtAUrQPBCK7/agC3NSUcSW9Qosnot4/wG6OKczYyOXBXBm7eR9UF7wEWVcuTVMXxNqsP29xHttbyC3CwP bUfvvT5K878AsP2AeHFkqjwASfAdVLot5KGo2wB6rmM3oVFwIn 4p7KeoyLAW+Ch0wLbKwyq0CfL76ql2WyHFMA9njuYWezbExAHp x/sjGJqiTe52CC4zLKz/4Q3jcgE+vBGlyZV8UDe+JRTK8Y4cfKVTdl5px3jXOnZrL7cyNk Yw+B1ARRq07G5jSOMkuAhaI42tip5E9B6jipaDtv6/REspol9KWkTe6y1DHsp+z/AJnwF+XNajs9mdJ7CGN0OE+zNijirYmfRJjy5zJIbqHsvnjbfz WRxlBtKQBAvb6LU5rU/d9402O8Hx3WQzqoSwPadjfzQZVTGYXaGzHG3T1+iI5fTDr2vse BHigWHcXmQLQLeXBaPJjAgiB4eKTY1lzQWtPUWKj0ua2OH39+S uVSDAG313QvPcxFGk6oTYAwOJnaBzMhB26RaOd5vX14uu+C4Uz oA4ADf4ytP2MzMMqGmWluoNAnhEkA+MlYrG1HMZf36zy5/TUZ3+HktHl9Quq0YH8ZDj4CRPkFpmtBQ6aOmF4K8OKI3QvD4jg rJqSLrNyA4lgVOKm7wclR1xCna4QeMBXGTbBlFBDL3TIVjSEJy XGBzjwR2Fqg9GbIqZplge3TNNUO4ELfLO9t8AKmGc8CXU/aHgPeHpK05Y8otC8cqkmYfD17X+/uyZVM8UJw2aNIkO5j6+am/bgQfuFy+LOiW8XW0t1E7DnyQbEZ7MBoJAHhfjCDZp2iAe5pGoX ABNm9fFR4Su2vTAbIAku6LQsWrYv+RXRrOyX719Sq4GKTNQ2u7 YG6oZpj3aiSZJudzCI9kQ0UX6idL5aCOQ/vKEZhQcwSSCJsByTVBJCXO5ELc1fTOprr7iDfzCdm3aevWYGud A/lET4xug2IcHEnbfyUdKo4gDccPvki4lNl7DOcZi60nZisWVJvI sYMeqyuCaZOm3DfeUfOJFODN+JAvsqI3Ydo40VBUpl0AyWn6LO vrNaXMLjpkgkm3jdQ1MT7UtM8fsoFnGXVCO9pk1GEyRMFk8COP iq4qXZak49Grwz2NADXAoxhq8NJ4ATtyuVzvLjU2BTM6z2uA2k HFjWtiRZz7zLjv0hLeG2GpnQHdqsOxupxLjE6W7kcN+CyGY5q7 Ev1uBa3VFOnNgI3dPvO4zwuheHcKlKm+2tssEmBzE+h9VG/vKbhrcA7cEGAIMQPorhjSdIddLlWiTPCWUmjmdTjwLuAHQBE8F Wc3TVbY2Mc7aiPTUPNOy2gzFRSe2NQe4nY6gDBH8s3TcF7Pdsc CXt9gtFzb2SI9VG1VDF9r9UbhhG42N1Ix6r4ZmlrQeAAUg3WIF ousqA2OyG4rFOoutdpn+ysgwnYyjqZKHaZar2Vuy2KJqH+afqt kKnVYbJBFT1WsFXqtWKWhGaPkb1VMzxFNlNxquDWQQSeRG3VW1 z/APGdk4Jszo7wahMC4MajyXSfRhj3s4vmlUUqryx/7svMDab2MeEKxTzAlshZvHUjUB0gANPDbyI3HVXMrpO0w46biX cB1WdwXZr5P8aIcbSl0k8VssnykfszWMcRLv3p5xtCblWHwneg PpiqBAkuMHrARjHY1rHFrWhrQLNGw5D75KOXoBR9lqlUbTHdge y0QBy5mUIxAc73didpUuVfvNdR20wPJTV6zG2BG8RwBO6ID2Z3 E4N/H3QfNT4OieA5wirHsdbcySOvUclZwdBoMbbknfa8QgboYlYPwl ACQ4X4Hr1XuNwrg0GRcwi1U0/dAFo4802lSZufaEz4FCphOGgHg8GdQdwM78IVLC400nuE2Dj1t 92WrrVNxMA8gPTxWHzUEVnCInmmaa0K2ns0OYVKdZgeBpqNs6D G/FZsYMvrsaLl7g0RxkwPiVWo1i3jfby6jkiGCqe1TqsPtU3td4X mfIwhqmMTTVCxWHdrrUGt0uY6J4BzHQfl1UWbaXNED3XN+Y2n0 80aY0txbhU9551Hr3gDwfPUFXGT1MQXspFgLYJ1SLaug6IHOpm xY6wt/ou9i6TjUlxbLWE2HB0Bo+a1wpCZAbq5wJ9VUyTLn0KDWVHte4O N2tAAEWEwC473PNXRzWTK/IrlZGU0hOJScLJKIIFW8MJEFUm8FPh3QUSKZQ06KqOB3RC84ZD g5eNxBRxlRUlZ19Bu2GWftODr0gJLqbtP+oCR8UZXjl2Tlnyhl I0h2qAWhzCDzLhc/fFX8MQcPBiWvcBHFrgCPjq9UW7U9jsRh61WrV0xU7xxgyHEumW gAR5rN5dV003jkQf0Wea3o2RlcVZPgq5a8OIgAzHOETp1S90u2 Mud8gOiA06mo9P0CJNxGlp5u+EbKkgWwk7MtFLS2QSbeVgOiGs e9xmTv8VTw81Hho4H0R4CB7IsPipOVBYcTmzzL3aTv0RNmLixk k8PjdCidLYm+/6/NWnm4jj/AOoWeTdm6OCKK/7Y4vI0gQBBHMXv8VPVxFTR7J0xBsOe4XtPCw6/L1gqwaJEGLHf9FVhuEUii7GVWaXE62fEJnaLD96wV2GYifDn0V pkAaT7p/8AEz8k2ie7cQRLHe83hPPwTYSpiMuJSWjIbqTDkhwI3RHOcuNN 0tgsftHyTcPg4GsprZhS2WO0dctxFJ4cAXNoEhsgsIpMbE85bP mt7kDW9y1wF3tBeYF38S48byuZdqqhfVbUMCS0W2kRyHJdL7NH/DsEbT9fO6V8iqsdibpovu4qN1lOW26m5UThKwSHoicmvTi1ROK WEeEp9JyiLvmnUzdWmW0e52fYnlCHjEK7mJmm5DGmwsiuyJaO6 pJJLunHMn+JGF14XVxa4ehkH9F88ZjQFOqODXyDy3/49F9RdoMH32Hq0+JYY8RcL5w7XYKGum0Emfh9Uiep/wCmjHuFFY0tG4gyREcrQqWKxMiD9lbbOslZGH3mrT1R1YS10eg 9VlH5K7VEcVFop7LPZ+npYXHdxjyRemy3TcqlXqtpMHIWEbk9E Lw9d1R01HQ3gwW9Ulq3Z0Ma4xSXYYrD2dR4kR4KWnXGqZVPMKL XtB2As0cAP1XmH9kBC4oam09hqo6YI3uvMtzUOPdvBY7hOx5QV BSr2+SWFphxgoKDotYrBOkwQQdwZDh+ipMeSNLwQ4cD8xzWgpv ECbmwB6ckJ7SUwXUwDBMx1iDCJdlN0iCvVYKBNT3RBBPjsFmM0 zcPYW02uA2k8lYzfMAYDwfZsB/D/YoU7Gy0gNA6gXWiK/Jy8krloI4iq14YCRDms8naQJ8iupdlmxhWbbu68VyPDYbvGM33 3812Ds1hz+zUerZmPzS79UGbovF0y04EDx81XcrlRvlBiVSGyw TNET1jVDWbwVlsR1UNcJcloNPZUenBem6a0IAx9QSFD3aeXJhK tEOypJJL0BxjwrifaLKA/HCg/wB11YNPUOd+ohdtK5d+KGGdTxDKzbEgGf5mH/hKy9WNxdtGQ7eVHPwVGuAWiniqzGmY9h49kzy1MeFh6WfV2WLt bRwdv67hbHMMR3mVV6JMmk5tRh46RW1kEcCBUqD0WDjW5rA0CT vxvv5bq9Mm0E6FXvmOeQQWaYHCHEyoGOINlZyukTiKlMf/AJPtzLQCFFRwr3O0QZNkuVI14psKsu0KwKRhV/8Apz6J0uuCJTqQqf5n8HEcglXHs1cnRcwx4nZEMGGtdcgDeTsA hdHDmo4UwYAPDjJ4+StVsO6RTduHBp68vvohckglJPQW71rhLS Dff7ug2f0XPpB/5DrEecj0RnFZa6kA6bG335p7qWrCh1oAM+CXGbckVceOjDuoh1 WDdpF56/3hWOy/Zol/fVLUmEwD/ERz/lCpsfdruB2PTgugZfiGuw/fPtTptLiPzaOHqAtGWTSpezBGK5O/RkcMwGpWYxumapYG8pLCB/V4RC61hQGNa0WDWgDmYAC5J2EqTiS98EkGsSebajQ//wAajz5LrZfO1v8AkIMuqLj1RXezeNpVYmJ8VbxW26HhwhY56Y+ OxwqKCs5OAulF0l2xiGgWUKsOFlXJVMiExqm7kckxSir1Uuizr SSSS9CcYSzXb7Lu9wriBLqftDw2P30WlTKrA4EG4Ig+BVSVqi4 unZ8x4psd63bU0j/n1CCZTOsnhEjoei2fbLLDh8TUYRYEx1BEj5LL5dTGipHAfqkRd KjRJW7LfZgzmFI/mDx56D9PitacKBjWtDI9gunmefx+C5/h8S+lVbUZ7zHBw5TyPQiQt5gc+ZiKtKoPZeGODmnn7JInjBn1Q Zo2FilQX7UYdpoF4Algk87b/qq+BwDThwDxaD4yESzbEsqUyzckOHqFFkzh3TRExTk2/KJPwulJLoNyfEzWV0tFd7eLS36/JEu0pHf06jRGosa61tQbvbndW6mWltYVo9iqIB60955WLVezKg 11B4O7dDxtILXi/W0jzTFHRTyeVk1XDmpTjcQYnrHxssfmuYto4F1NzS4kOpkdXSL +i12G7SU6UDSHFrQ4AbkgmZ6eC5j23zUVe7a0ASS94HM2g/FCoLkqIpPi7KWXGaIJvpMfNFcRmH+BdREgPqDrDQdRHmQPRC8l ZNJ46iOd+SI5ThNb+6dEagRygG8eSbLqyv7f6H8hyxtMYRxABr OqU3HpXpOZTE77hv8A3FbLB1pY0/ma0nzgn4rO9oKkUA9u9KpSqDpoeDw6Irgnkgt4Ne+OAI1Et8tJ BWWU7jf7GcfItYmpZVC7ko8bjBr0Azp38eSbTussx8VRKXJrqi Zquk+6W5B0el1kynunQmUDxVEJahUUKSolo6oikdgSSSXoDjCS SSUIYH8Uuz3e0xXYJcwQ+Ny3gfJcSyin+9c2dxBHwX1TUYCCCJ BsRzC+d+2GTDC5jUY0HQ4yyOTgHD0MpM41tDoSvTA9HCxUggWP Gfj0UnaPKatCKoA7up+T+EgD2o/hCv4pkQ7aRB8ZWq7N4unUa6hVaHU3iDPHx4wN/RUtoK6Zz/CYgkj944ec/NX8q7Q1Wy1tQtI1N2GxkfJP7c9l3YQl7Gk0pGl/D2iYB/mWMGII2sUH8dmhtLaNq7N6gfT1VHab7Gw4C23K6tZnmbS0w4lx I4ybbjoLLANxLhsU19QncqfxfsrkvwHsxz8gENEONp5D6rOiSZ O6aVouzfZp9f8AeO9igN3nj0aOM89kxJRQFuTPMvokUgBYl0z0 H90XpsFOtTcDcuhwtawHDqidTBD34002jSBta1p4kzKBZjV115 EgaoaOQHVRrxdgSlc9GzxNEupVG/ma4fAqvk2OJoyPehm97lgb82FQDMmt4nzKG5YSS0M/MQfBrpH9RWGMW4NGmWpJhrC4NwMm5JkyilNpHirjaY5XhQ1Asr bHXZHuV48CFKGJj2oKLsgcSm0G2Ujim0ihC9ErtktY5qriKh4K oaTkxKyqO6JJJLvnFEkkkoQS5V+MmEDamHrxzaf9pBHz+C6qsT +LeB7zAl3Fj2u8AbfqFT6LXYB/EbLqb8HRxNJoBOmY2uN1zbBZgWGZghd47LYOlWy2gxw103UhM9 d/DiuU9tvw9r4ZzqlEGpRmZG7RfcdEDXsNMKZV2wGnTVAewXggXt v47oXj+x+AxMPoVHYZxu5oBeze9nH2fIwsP+2uBvY8ttrXVujm zh7riPD72QhphSj+G9Qv0/tFEjUQSNQNhIMEeHFPwn4eX/fYmmwB0HSC4kRNtroW7NHjYk2iVU/a6hsJU2XyNxg+z2W4cySazxDg586QRyaLEA85UmadpWOBAaHAC w2aIPRY/D5fiqhllOofAFWKvZ7E0475ppgmRq3Pkq62y+TehZnmznu9omO HSw4eQSyzBuf7ZFuE8eq9ZgGsIJGozedloKL2wOR2ScmXWhmPH vZXw+U6lPgsMKeLDOBLXD/c1zf6gEawcWQ/tGNFejU6f0Pa8fAuSMbbdDcnRojum1qalqDimOE7pEkEmQBMeJ UjmLwNsgCKzmpgU7yoYQUGmMLVZFNRgJ91CNnXUkkl6E4wkkkl CCQntVhO9wldm803EeLfaHxCLKLE+47/AEn5KMhkPwpxerBaONN5b5H2h81s3Nmx2XO/wf8AdxP+qn/QF0VDHouXZn817GYLEXqUGTzAg/BDG/hjgBtTd/3FbNJXSJbMvQ7A4Fv/ANAPiZRTC9ncLT9yhTHXSP1RRJSkS2MZRaNmgeAAWM/FHC6qDHR7ro9Qtssz+IX/AMN3iEM1cWFB+SOKVqeoW94cOaWGxRsPveylw/vlUv4z4rAdE2WAqyJG6g7TU9VNp/K+PJzS36JmVfRWc7/yD/qZ/UErG6yIrIvFhXA1NVFjuJa0nxgT8VIDzVPJf8hngfmVaahnqRI 9Cc1R1bKWpwVXF/oltBIpurklSSh9H3lfOyFjmj0FWQqzEigTBZ//2Q==

Rasty
09-04-2013, 22:23

Hikerboy's going next week. I won't see a hill until November or December.

kayak karl
09-04-2013, 22:25
Backpacker asked to use my GPX files of the Batona trail. said yes. they did 2 articles here's one http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/hikes/1441561
I did not appreciate they made a map with files and sell it. http://www.mytopo.com/products/bpm.cfm?sku=BPM_JUNE12_03
Don't buy it, its out dated. :)

Rasty
09-04-2013, 22:27

Oh no, not at all. I enjoy endless posting and hrs here on WB compared to being out on a hike.

I've found that watching a Honey Boo Boo marathon kills enough brain cells that I can endlessly post without boredom

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 22:27
LOL. You know why I accept BP and read it? Not because every article, topic, ad, piece of gear, etc pertains to me or I agree with the content but because I look at the big picture - it probably pertains to someone else in the backpacking community or who might get interested in backpacking. And, that's my end game - to get others to enjoy backpacking. In that regard, BP and myself have the same goal.

coach lou
09-04-2013, 22:28
I like the pictures. When I'm really really bored, I grab a OLD issue and thumb thru for shoots & giggles. I also like to see how many places they showcase that I've been to. Once in Montana, we were driving along and we headed towards a place that I read about many moons ago....so we went......it was cool. I caught Grayling there.

kayak karl
i take that back. that map is accurate, but only 17.4 miles of the 51 total.

hobbs

You have it bad..Start plannin a hike it will do ya good..

coach lou
09-04-2013, 22:31
I'm not telling where:cool:

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2013, 22:32
Folks I am out on a limb here but actually I encourage beginners to take up BP mag... like everything else its a starting point.... after a while tis a little boring..

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 22:39
You have it bad..Start plannin a hike it will do ya good..

LOL. What do you mean start plannin a hike? I haven't stopped doing that in almost 12 yrs. I currently got about 5 looong distance hikes in the later stages of plannin right now with 2 ready to go awaiting an appropriate time to buy a travel ticket. This is what happens when you're addicted and you can't hike at the moment, you sometimes get as close to it as you can by reading BP articles(for the third time), posting and learning at hiking and outdoor related sites, talking to you fine folks, enjoying other's trip reports, and shooting my mouth off, etc

Rasty
09-04-2013, 22:39
If you don't like any magazines does disliking a particular magazine count? This thread could have been a discussion of Toupee Weekly and I think I would have the same thoughts.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2013, 22:45

Uh That's just Crazy!

rocketsocks
09-05-2013, 07:00
Backpacker asked to use my GPX files of the Batona trail. said yes. they did 2 articles here's one http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/hikes/1441561
I did not appreciate they made a map with files and sell it. http://www.mytopo.com/products/bpm.cfm?sku=BPM_JUNE12_03
Don't buy it, its out dated. :)
What, no Royalty check...that ain't cool :(

Monkeywrench
09-05-2013, 07:41
When Backpacker was started back in the early/mid 70's, it was a totally different magazine. Firstly, it was a square-bound magazine with simply gorgeous photography and well written essays. Their policy was to not disclose or promote trails or locations. It was about the essence of backpacking.

Alas, it was apparently economically unsustainable, and through the years went through a number of different owners and morphed into what it is today. In my mind, it's suitable only for bathroom reading and I subscribe only because it comes as part of my AHS membership.

garlic08
09-05-2013, 09:30
...If you think hiking can be an expensive sport, try skydiving.

The ultralight, dirtbagger skydiver doesn't even need a parachute to jump. You only need a chute if you want to jump again. JYOJ.

fins1838
09-05-2013, 09:55
Backpacker Magazine has been mediocre for close to twenty years. Most magazines in general are mediocre. The whole thing is designed to facilitate advertisements.

The only great magazine is M.A.D. magazine. What me Worry
Thats what I found, most magazines are just 1 big ad.

Dogwood
09-05-2013, 11:50
Sometimes, there's way too much soap opera like drama, negativity, and narrow mindedness around here for me. I'm a boots on the ground hiker seeking hiking adventure and exploration in the widest range of hiking related activities and locations, certainly not locked into an AT or east coast only mindset and not particularly into a cyber hiking blah blah blah mindset either, which I find myself being drawn into here. I have to get out more, meaning away from the keyboard, even if it means doing what Elizabeth Thomas "Snorkel" did as featured in an article in this month's Sept 2013 BP edition. Time for me to step away from the keyboard. I'm a long distance hiker and adventurer. Being here on WB isn't giving me the total fulfillment that my soul craves. I'll leave the blah blah blah to others.

ChuckT
09-05-2013, 12:20
I think you've nailed it.

cvt

Last Call
09-05-2013, 12:53
Geeze......all this talk about hiking makes want to be a throw hiker.

Last Call
09-05-2013, 12:54
Doah! Left out the word *me......

ATMountainTime
09-05-2013, 13:04
I do subscribe. but it is more like the Bear Grylls magazine. and we all know he's a phoney.

Astro
09-05-2013, 13:29
I think HB nailed it on a previous tread by describing it as being like "hiker porn". It is probably more helpful for beginners, while more experienced hikers just enjoy the pictures and an occasional article.

Rasty
09-05-2013, 14:06
If I compare Backpacker Magazine to the information available through our peers on sites like BPL, Whiteblaze, VFTT, etc there is no comparison. While it's a decent magazine it cannot compete with the information available with a quick Google search. Are we jaded? Yes. Is that a good thing? Yes

max patch
09-05-2013, 14:19
If I compare Backpacker Magazine to the information available through our peers on sites like BPL, Whiteblaze, VFTT, etc there is no comparison.

Thats true. Backpacker Mag has never claimed that the Companion and the ATC Trail Clubs are involved in a vast conspiracy against hikers.

Sometimes having something pass editorial approval before it is published is beneficial.

My take? For $5 a year I learn about at least one new trail that I want to hike. And if thats all I get then its still worth it.

max patch
09-05-2013, 14:21
Sometimes having something pass editorial approval before it is published is beneficial.

Backpacker Mag has also never claimed that if you carry a gun you are compensating for a small penis.

coach lou
09-05-2013, 14:23
I think HB nailed it on a previous tread by describing it as being like "hiker porn". It is probably more helpful for beginners, while more experienced hikers just enjoy the pictures and an occasional article.

DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!! Astro....that about closes this discussion

Rasty
09-05-2013, 14:32

Backpacker Mag has also never claimed that if you carry a gun you are compensating for a small penis.

Issue 46 page 27.

Drybones
09-05-2013, 15:06
It would be good if they'd list some 7 day + hikes instead of all the day hikes in each area, I'd assume hikers already know the hikes nearby... and whose going to travel a 1000 miles for a day hike.

Game Warden
09-05-2013, 17:43
GW a couple of years back I would have agreed with you - then I find out from written story to print for most mags is 6 months... have you considered Kindle? Over last weekend I was down at the shore and had a three hour drive home ... I didn't have my favorite mag or kindle book.... so I sucked it off the cloud onto my smart phone... its always at your fingertips..

yes, I have a kindle, but it is terrible for photos or maps;

Drybones
09-05-2013, 18:18
This may not be a bad place to advertise, just realized I go through the magazine looking for ads and bypassing the articles.

Tuckahoe
09-05-2013, 18:47
This may not be a bad place to advertise, just realized I go through the magazine looking for ads and bypassing the articles.

I enjoy the photos and some of the articles. Enjoy the reviews and the gear review issues. But I also do actually enjoy the advertising. Its a pleasent way of finding out what else is out there.

Drybones
09-05-2013, 20:07
I enjoy the photos and some of the articles. Enjoy the reviews and the gear review issues. But I also do actually enjoy the advertising. Its a pleasent way of finding out what else is out there.

Some of the reviews are pretty good, they led me make several purchases...non that I have regretted.

ATL Backpacker
09-06-2013, 16:10
At $12 for an annual subscription, I think it's worth it. As an east coaster, i like reading about BPing destinations in other parts of the country. BP does a good job covering that.

russb
09-06-2013, 18:45
Most backpackers I know don't get the mag. The people I know who do get it aren't backpackers. Like other magazines, it is ok for the photos but the real thing is better.

Theosus
09-06-2013, 20:01
Backpacker asked to use my GPX files of the Batona trail.
I did not appreciate they made a map with files and sell it.

One of the things that got me to subscribe to their magazine was the "rip and go" hiking section. I was new, and needed an idea of some good hikes. They had the little codes at the bottom to type in online, with free GPX files and waypoints and everything. Now they make you pay for it, so it's not that useful any more. I can poke around and generally find the hike somewhere else, but it WAS nice having it in one place. I've subscribed to the digital version for two years, but I might switch to the print version. Something about having it in your hands is different. Someone mentioned a hike they had printed in the Linville Gorge in the last few months, but I can't find the damn thing.
Maybe my library has it, and I can just take photos of the good articles with my cell phone camera.

BirdBrain
09-06-2013, 20:34
its just walkin

If it is just walkin, why am I also carrying?

hikerboy57
09-06-2013, 20:35
ask the silly slackers.they would ask you why you're carrying,as well.

BirdBrain
09-06-2013, 20:37
ask the silly slackers.they would ask you why you're carrying,as well.

I knew I was doing something wrong. Perhaps I need to walk in a flatter state.

hikerboy57
09-06-2013, 20:57
I knew I was doing something wrong. Perhaps I need to walk in a flatter state.
im at 28 pounds with food, and a smart water bottle of water.
smartwater. felt like a dumbass for buying smart water, but the bottle is perfect to reach my side pocket.

Drybones
09-06-2013, 21:12

What caliber?

Drybones
09-06-2013, 21:15
Just checked out www.trailgroove.com (http://www.trailgroove.com) .......pretty good site.

BirdBrain
09-06-2013, 21:16
What caliber?

Depends on where I am walking.

hikerboy57
09-06-2013, 21:18
Just checked out www.trailgroove.com (http://www.trailgroove.com) .......pretty good site.

they dont have a cafe.
yet.:)

BirdBrain
09-06-2013, 21:21
they dont have a cafe.
yet.:)

Didn't see a bistro, cafeteria, coffee shop, or diner either.

hikerboy57
09-06-2013, 21:24
not even a bus,gus

Drybones
09-07-2013, 09:32
Didn't see a bistro, cafeteria, coffee shop, or diner either.

That recipe for hash browns looked pretty good, I have a week end in the woods planed 9/20...believe I'll give it a try, maybe add some chopped corn beef and turn it into a hash brown hash.

Raymond James
09-07-2013, 10:30
What is this about football and advertisements? I only watch 1 gam a year the super bowl and that is for the adds. This your I am setting the DVR for the adds so I so not have to waste time watching the game! I do not think this is only BP magazine I found I lost interest in several magazines that I had read over decades. I think going to a library and checking out the magazines every 4 to 5 months is a better way to read them. For older magazines that you notice an article you are interested in perhaps the library would let you have the copy to put in your truck for that I got down time and need to something to read.

lemon b
09-08-2013, 11:14
I got it for a few years but kinda got bored. However, it does serve a backpacker market. Those new to the game. Also they employ backpackers. Both those are real positive.

double d
09-08-2013, 12:43
I've gotten BPer for over 15 years now and I enjoy the articles, photo's and advertising. I really don't "trust" their gear reviews all that much because I've rarely read a "bad" review of gear. But...for the price, its a good magazine in my opinion and you never know what you might learn from month to month.

ATL Backpacker
09-08-2013, 21:39
I've been subscribing to Backpacker Magazine for a couple years now...... Second, backpacking is extremely dangerous; hikers are always getting washed away in floods, struck by lightning, eaten by bears, falling off cliffs, bit by snakes, etc.

Had a good chuckle when I opened my mailbox yesterday to find (the annual?) "The Survival Issue" of Backpacker. Disaster plans, killer storms, etc

quasarr
09-09-2013, 18:13
LOL, I like reading the survival articles. That's what makes a good story! Nobody wants to read about a trip where a competent hiker has a good time and doesn't get eaten by a bear ... BORING!! ;)