PDA

View Full Version : NOBO Travel arrangements from Katahdin to home.

Siarl
09-03-2013, 20:21
This has sort of been broached before but the question really wasn't answered for me at any rate. How have some NOBO thru hikers made travel arrangements to their home after reaching Katahdin? I realize that there is plane, train, automobile but that's a general statement that doesn't really say much. For those who fly by purchasing a ticket one would need to to know the date that they would be arriving at Katahdin. There are so many variables that happen on the trail which would affect the arrival date on Katahdin. These days, airlines are way less than forgiving if you need to change the date of departure. If passengers wait until the day of arrival at Katahdin to purchase an airline ticket is well over a thousand dollars. Even $500 dollars would be prohibitive for one way travel.

What would be useful is to know what others have done regarding travel arrangements from Katahdin.

As far as getting to the trailhead at Springer Mt is much easier to arrange since there are numerous resources that are available even at the last minute from arriving in Atlanta.

Thanks everyone for any assistance with this!

Charlton

T.S.Kobzol
09-03-2013, 21:57
People hitchhike across the country all the time. Also train hop. Are you asking if we can give rides? I could theoretically give a ride from Augusta to Portland or from Portland to Portsmouth. It all depends on my work schedule or trip schedule.

WHAT!?: Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

Siarl
09-03-2013, 22:32
Thank you for your reply...but not quite the question. How have some NOBO hikers arranged for travel from Katahdin to return to their home. For example: I live in far west Texas. In order to return to Terlingua (my home at present) I would need to make arrangements such as airline reservations and retrieve my truck at longterm parking, or a train trip and have someone pick me up at Alpine (the nearest town to Terlingua -1 hr and 45 min drive), or hitch hike (not doing that) etc. Has anyone purchased an open ended airline ticket and what has their experienc been with that? Do airlines do that? If so, what was their cost of an open ended ticket? In other words, in order to purchase a ticket one would need to know the exact date that they will finish their thru hike. It's kind of difficult to know the exact date of arrival at Mt Kitahdin. One can always call or arrange for a taxi etc from Mt. Kitahdin once you arrive, that's the easy part.

T.S.Kobzol
09-04-2013, 05:55
You take a shuttle from millinockett to Medway. Then a bus to Bangor. Augusta or Portland. From Bangor or Portland or Boston you can fly. Check out last minute deals ... Google last minute fared. From Portland you could take Amtrak train to Boston and continue amtraking ;) as far as possible to Texas or additional cities with airports where last minute deals are offered.

T.S.Kobzol
09-04-2013, 05:59
http://www.expedia.com/p/multi-deal/last-minute.htm#!flights/Boston

For example

peakbagger
09-04-2013, 06:57
The airlines are set up to maximize profit for business travelers, generally business travel is booked within 10 days of the flight. If you book out more than ten days you can usually find a better deal. That would mean booking tickets at latest in Monson and then if you get done a few days early, chilling out at either BSP, the city you are flying out of or somewhere in between. Portland Maine has several airlines including Southwest so your options of getting a lesser cost flight is better. It also has an Amtrak station and several charter buses that drive to Logan Airport in Boston. Timing is also critical if you are flying from Maine. Generally the flights out are more expensive pre labor day. There is also generally a better deal flying on non holiday weekends or late Friday as the airlines have to move planes around to deal with the Monday business travel.

Many thru hikers get caught up in the psychology, that once they hit the end of the trail they are in rush to head home, if you plan in a few slack days you can normally save bucks on the ticket that you can spend on the slack days.

Old Hiker
09-04-2013, 08:22
Look into renting a car and driving back. Take your time, carry all your gear, drive back to the road crossings to do magic, relax. I got some pretty good deals (and 2 not) coming back and forth from Tampa to Tri-Cities airport in Blountville.

Amtrak train?

T.S.Kobzol
09-04-2013, 08:27
Great tip.

Look into renting a car and driving back. Take your time, carry all your gear, drive back to the road crossings to do magic, relax. I got some pretty good deals 9 and 2 not) coming back and forth from Tampa to Tri-Cities airport in Blountville.

Amtrak train?

DavidNH
09-04-2013, 10:33
get a family member with a car to meet you there. That's what I did!

cathyss2000
09-04-2013, 11:02
My family is in the same boat. I just looked up all the bus connections and amtrak. No reservations needed. They will just wing it, but I don't expect any problems. They have to get back to Iowa and I can't afford a last minute plane ticket. I noticed with amtrak though, several of the trains will not take luggage. Have to make sure you take one that does to get your pack home.
Cathy

cathyss2000
09-04-2013, 11:07
This is our tentative plan-
Cyr bus line from Medway to Bangor 12$ cash
Concord Coach lines from Bangor to Boston 42$ pp
Greyhound from Boston to NYC 28.76 pp
Amtrak from NYC Penn station to Indianapolis 100$
I'll drive and pick them up in Indianapolis
Cathy

max patch
09-04-2013, 11:14
I didn't give it a minutes thot as I figured everything would work out one way or the other.

And thats what happened. The other thru that finished with me parents picked him up at K. They dropped me off in Boston on their way home and I took Amtrak home.

PeaPicker
09-04-2013, 14:05
My family is in the same boat. I just looked up all the bus connections and amtrak. No reservations needed. They will just wing it, but I don't expect any problems. They have to get back to Iowa and I can't afford a last minute plane ticket. I noticed with amtrak though, several of the trains will not take luggage. Have to make sure you take one that does to get your pack home.
Cathy

No "checked luggage"...you carry on and store with others in lower lvl cars...been there done that..you can access your backpack 24/7 while traveling.

The Solemates
09-04-2013, 15:09
our family met us. they took 2 weeks vacation; 1 week along the eastern seaboard exploring what they wanted along the way, 1 week along the eastern seaboard exploring what we wanted on the way back. that worked out well since they wanted to be there are our finale anyways. it was also a leisurely drive since we didn't want to be driving 8+ hrs a day. they drove from SC-ME-SC.

Siarl
09-05-2013, 00:05
Thank you all for your responses. I will certainly look into these suggestions and options. Thanks again. Happy Trails!

pistol p
09-08-2013, 02:15
What I did this year was as follows: Summited Katahdin on the 14th and then hitched to Millinocket from the campground. Bought a plane ticket from Bangor to Minneapolis online for the 16th. Took a cab to Medway on the 15th. Then took the bus to Bangor. From Bangor, I went home. The last minute flight wasn't bad, just over $400. I could have found a cheaper route, but when it's time to go home, $$ won't matter.

steve0423
09-10-2013, 19:38
What I did this year:
By the time I got that far north, I was fairly good at predicting when I'd be in a given location...
I was able to buy a airline ticket out of Portland two weeks in advance, (gave myself a few extra days just in case)...
Ended up using one of the extra days at Abol bridge waiting for good summit weather...
After summiting, caught a ride to Millinocket...
Next day shuttle to bus station...
Bus to Bangor...
Bus from Bangor to Portland...
Plane from Portland to St. Louis...
Metro Link to Amtrak station...
Amtrak to my city...
Walked the 2.5 from Amtrak to my house...
Surprised my family who thought they were picking me up at the airport the next day

two isles
09-10-2013, 22:09
By the time I got that far north, I was fairly good at predicting when I'd be in a given location...
I was able to buy a airline ticket out of Portland two weeks in advance, (gave myself a few extra days just in case)...
After summiting, caught a ride to Millinocket...
Next day shuttle to bus station...
Bus to Bangor...

Yes, you will get good at predicting where you will be.
And then with a kind of "wing it" attitude, several options make themselves available.

I could've ridden with someone's parents to Boston via car.

Shuttle to Medway.....
Bus to Bangor....
Bus from Bangor to Boston......
had a friend in NH pick me up. Stayed with them for 2 weeks and booked my flight home.