PDA

View Full Version : Class Act

Lone Wolf
09-03-2013, 20:37
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/09/03/news/piscataquis/north-carolina-hiker-drunkenly-walks-into-wrong-home-in-monson-police-say/?ref=polbeat

moytoy
09-03-2013, 20:43
He looks quite pleased with himself in that mug shot.

atmilkman
09-03-2013, 20:44
Good one dude. Have another.

Rasty
09-03-2013, 20:44
Lucky he didn't get shot.

hikerboy57
09-03-2013, 20:45
i remember a time that could have been me.
i dont drink anymore.
okay , maybe a beer with lw.

A.T.Lt
09-03-2013, 20:49
No harm no foul.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2013, 20:51
No harm no foul.
typical entitled hiker response

moytoy
09-03-2013, 20:57
I wish they had published a trail name.

Rasty
09-03-2013, 20:58
No harm no foul.

Two years ago at 3am my ex-neighbor from two doors down tried to get into my house while wasted drunk. He thought it was his house and tried breaking down the door thinking his wife locked him out because they were fighting . Scared my wife and kids badly. My kids awoke to see their dad standing by the door waiting for this dirtbag to get in. He would have died right there. For months my kids were jumpy and couldn't sleep very good. No harm no foul!

atmilkman
09-03-2013, 20:58

Let's invent one.

A.T.Lt
09-03-2013, 20:59
Let's invent one.
Uncle Drunky

atmilkman
09-03-2013, 21:01
Uncle Drunky

I was thinking along the lines of s#%t for brains.

OzJacko
09-03-2013, 21:12
I was thinking along the lines of s#%t for brains.
Too common out there...
How about Hoover (as in salesman with foot in the door).

rickb
09-03-2013, 21:23
No harm no foul.

Dumb, not evil.

I suppose that with the babysitter and younger child involved criminal charges were sort of required, though.

I am figuring his last beer cost him about $2000 for the lawyer, and another couple hundred for the fine.

I hope his mom doesn't google.

ChinMusic
09-03-2013, 23:03
I'm a day and a half out of Monson. I don't recognize the guy.

RedRunnerJumper
09-03-2013, 23:08
Stumbled upon this article of a Thru-Hiker who stumbled into the wrong house and was arrested.
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/09/03/news/piscataquis/north-carolina-hiker-drunkenly-walks-into-wrong-home-in-monson-police-say/?ref=polbeat

OzJacko
09-03-2013, 23:10
I'm a day and a half out of Monson. I don't recognize the guy.
Must say I didn't either.
Then again maybe we didn't stay at the same shelters....;)

rocketsocks
09-03-2013, 23:23
Another one, what the heck is goin on here?:D

rocketsocks
09-03-2013, 23:25
Another black eye for hikers...

Train Wreck
09-04-2013, 03:20
Let's invent one.

Section Hiker

:D

Train Wreck
09-04-2013, 03:23
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by atmilkman http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1524159#post1524159)
Let's invent one.

Your Place Or Mine

Train Wreck
09-04-2013, 03:26
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by atmilkman http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1524159#post1524159)
Let's invent one.

Trail Bail

moytoy
09-04-2013, 05:37
too late LW already jumped your story:)http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98085-Class-Act

peakbagger
09-04-2013, 07:00
He is real lucky, in Maine a homeowner is well within their rights to shoot first and ask questions later when someone enters a home.

rickb
09-04-2013, 07:14
He is real lucky, in Maine a homeowner is well within their rights to shoot first and ask questions later when someone enters a home.

Or he could have gotten hit by a train.

Tuckahoe
09-04-2013, 07:25
"He got done hiking and enjoyed himself at a local bar and walked back," Wilson said. “He walked in where a young girl was babysitting a little kid. She woke up to a man standing over the little kid. He was going to lay down on the couch.

”The girl left with the child and went to the residence of family members across the street, who called police at 2:01 a.m., said Wilson.

The baby sitter did good. She was capable of getting out of the house with her charge and seeking help from a neighbor.

If the young lady had used deadly force, I would have had no heartache over it. Yes it would be a tragedy all around, but it is one of those play stupid games, win stupid prizes scenarios. I know there are some that might say, "but he was just a harmless drunk hiker trying to find his way back to the hostel." But find a strange man in your house at 2am, standing over a child, and tell me what you would do.

Don H
09-04-2013, 07:35
Pleasant Street is the same street Shaws is on.

At least he was close ;)

ChinMusic
09-04-2013, 07:43
Showed his pic to other thrus. No one recognized him.

slbirdnerd
09-04-2013, 08:17
Yikes! Thanks for sharing. Followed some of your thru on YouTube. Congrats!

1azarus
09-04-2013, 09:19
that must be the nicest shirt any hiker ever wore into Monson. If you're gonna get a professional photo taken, might as well look good.

rocketsocks
09-04-2013, 09:24
The baby sitter did good. She was capable of getting out of the house with her charge and seeking help from a neighbor.

If the young lady had used deadly force, I would have had no heartache over it. Yes it would be a tragedy all around, but it is one of those play stupid games, win stupid prizes scenarios. I know there are some that might say, "but he was just a harmless drunk hiker trying to find his way back to the hostel." But find a strange man in your house at 2am, standing over a child, and tell me what you would do.
Oh I agree, he'd a been cooked....very fortunate this fella is....could have turned out much different.

Rain Man
09-04-2013, 09:38
Alcohol is one of the worst and most harmful and abused drugs in America. Hopefully, this idiot comes to his senses and gets help before he gets worse.

Rain Man

DavidNH
09-04-2013, 10:37
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, given the large quantity of out and out alcoholics among the AT hiker population.

Tuckahoe
09-04-2013, 11:12
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, given the large quantity of out and out alcoholics among the AT hiker population.

And yet, folks thought Warren County, Virginia over reacted when zoning changes to allow a hostel near the trail were turned down, in light of some local opposition.

On the otherhand...

I live a block from the campus of William and Mary. Drunk college kids trying to find their way home or the party next door often try to get into my place. Funny since I am tucked away from the street or any view in a cottage. The drunks are really hunting when they find my place.

elray
09-04-2013, 11:39
It's a serious disease but it also makes for some interesting reading! Thanks LW

Teacher & Snacktime
09-04-2013, 14:50
Apparently his name is Indian............... https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/316316641744542/

BirdBrain
09-04-2013, 15:15
i remember a time that could have been me.
i dont drink anymore.
okay , maybe a beer with lw.

Alcohol is one of the worst and most harmful and abused drugs in America. Hopefully, this idiot comes to his senses and gets help before he gets worse.

Rain Man

I agree fully with both of these statements. But for the grace of God, I could have done worse. Alcohol is our excepted drug in America. A far less dangerous substance is becoming legal in many areas. I don't do either and haven't since 10/18/1980. We are hypocrites in America. We subsidize a dangerous drug and then call out a person who succumbs to its effects with little regard for our own less than perfect past. Not calling out anyone. Just reminding myself not to be that hypocrite.

hikerboy57
09-04-2013, 15:30
in 1996 i was arrested for dwi.
i was arrested in my apartment, not behind the wheel.
i had been driving home from a local bar(close enough to walk).on the way home, i hit a curb and blew out my right front tire, drove on it the half block to my parking lot and went upstairs to my apartment. a little while later two policeman knocked on my door. someone had called in my flat as a leaving the scene of an accident, asked if i had been drinking, if i had been driving, and i gave them a full confession. i was pretty blotto, and didnt even remember the drive home, and asked what accident, i dont remember any accident, was anyone hurt? and they didnt answer(im assuming hoping i would incriminate myself. i spent th night in long beach jail. as i started to sober up towards morning, i saw i was wearing a pair f windpants with the drawstring pulled out, dress shoes with the shoelaces pulled out, and a tshirt on inside out and backwards. i thought of my kids who were still rather young, and what they would think about their dad if they had seen me in that condition, and more importantly, i still didnt remeber any accident and was debillitated with fear that i may have hurt someone and didnt even remember!
in the morning they brought me into the courtroom, i was arraigned, pled not guilty and was released on bail. i went to the pound to see my car, saw the tire and finally remembered what i couldnt the night before, hitting a curb and blowing out the tire, that i hadnt been in an accident at all, and that noone had been hurt.it was the first time since my arrest that i was able to breathe a sigh of relief.
i checked into the local alcohol counseling program the next day, and began to rebuild my life post divorce.
i had a few small relapses the first couple of months, but each time, my desire to feel alcohol in my system continued to abate to the point i didnt care for the way it felt in my system, felt much better sober.
ive been clean since then, ive had the occasional beer, last one was with lone wolf in damascus.
a few years later a little girl, katy flynn, who my daughter had babysat for over a year, was decapitated in a head on collision with a drunk driver, and i thought, "there but for the grace of god".

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 15:53
Don't have to be a hiker to pull off that mistake. Remember, Robert Downey Jr waking up in someone else's home in a child's bed after a binge?

Hikers are generally great people but being involved with hiking doesn't automatically make one immune from being an a-hole, scoundrel, or making bone head mistakes.

BY FAR, the most destructive drug in America, from a fatalities stand pt, is tobacco. Tobacco accounts for about 430,000- 440,000 deaths annually in the U.S. More than all deaths from AIDS, heroin, crack, powder(cocaine), meth, X, and alcohol COMBINED. Interestingly, fatalities solely caused by marijuana use is virtually non existent which I find strange considering how dangerous its supposed to be from a gov't perspective. Perhaps, some are correct when they say the deaths associated with the marijuana trade are largely as a result of it being illegal.

hikerboy57
09-04-2013, 15:54
tobacco does not destroy lives the same way alcohol and drugs do.its not just about fatalities.

T.S.Kobzol
09-04-2013, 15:56
Sobering writing Hikerboy. Dependency on alcohol runs deep in my family tree and therefore it is alive in my DNA. I am scared of it, have been running away from it all my life, successfully I might add. Knock on wood, I never had an issue but I am scared to even drink socially on a regular basis like majority of my friends does.

i had been driving home from a local bar(close enough to walk).on the way home, i hit a curb and blew out my right front tire, drove on it the half block to my parking lot and went upstairs to my apartment. a little while later two policeman knocked on my door. someone had called in my flat as a leaving the scene of an accident, asked if i had been drinking, if i had been driving, and i gave them a full confession. i was pretty blotto, and didnt even remember the drive home, and asked what accident, i dont remember any accident, was anyone hurt? and they didnt answer(im assuming hoping i would incriminate myself. i spent th night in long beach jail. as i started to sober up towards morning, i saw i was wearing a pair f windpants with the drawstring pulled out, dress shoes with the shoelaces pulled out, and a tshirt on inside out and backwards. i thought of my kids who were still rather young, and what they would think about their dad if they had seen me in that condition, and more importantly, i still didnt remeber any accident and was debillitated with fear that i may have hurt someone and didnt even remember!
in the morning they brought me into the courtroom, i was arraigned, pled not guilty and was released on bail. i went to the pound to see my car, saw the tire and finally remembered what i couldnt the night before, hitting a curb and blowing out the tire, that i hadnt been in an accident at all, and that noone had been hurt.it was the first time since my arrest that i was able to breathe a sigh of relief.
i checked into the local alcohol counseling program the next day, and began to rebuild my life post divorce.
i had a few small relapses the first couple of months, but each time, my desire to feel alcohol in my system continued to abate to the point i didnt care for the way it felt in my system, felt much better sober.
ive been clean since then, ive had the occasional beer, last one was with lone wolf in damascus.
a few years later a little girl, katy flynn, who my daughter had babysat for over a year, was decapitated in a head on collision with a drunk driver, and i thought, "there but for the grace of god".

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 16:03
Want to know what can happen when you drink and drive. Check out the life behind bars scenario of Tobias Beecher(played by actor Lee Tergensen) in the HBO prison series OZ. It can be sobering.

hikerboy57
09-04-2013, 16:05
Want to know what can happen when you drink and drive. Check out the life behind bars scenario of Tobias Beecher(played by actor Lee Tergensen) in the HBO prison series OZ. It can be sobering.
and here i was thinking that reality would be more sobering than fiction.

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 16:06
tobacco does not destroy lives the same way alcohol and drugs do.its not just about fatalities.

Depends on how you look at it. HB, I think your previous post is the longest I've ever seen? THX for sharing.

hikerboy57
09-04-2013, 16:08
several years later, i went back to the officer who arrested me to thank him. he didnt understand, said noone had ever thanked him for being arrested before. i explained to him how siginficant the arrest was to me. katy flynn was the niece of our police commissioner, mike tangney, who i knew personally.
i was truly grateful for that life changing event, and the officer recognised it.
its all good.

rocketsocks
09-04-2013, 16:14
:).....

but by the grace of God, there go I.

rocketsocks
09-04-2013, 16:19
;).....

Many things go round in the dark besides Santa Claus

Dogwood
09-04-2013, 16:24
several years later, i went back to the officer who arrested me to thank him. he didnt understand, said noone had ever thanked him for being arrested before. i explained to him how siginficant the arrest was to me. katy flynn was the niece of our police commissioner, mike tangney, who i knew personally.
i was truly grateful for that life changing event, and the officer recognised it.
its all good.

I owe my life to LEOs who intervened to stop me from doing something stupid. I get it. Probably saved other people's lives too. I went back to two different officers and did the same thing - thanked them. They saw I was being genuine. Some may call it sobering up. Something, I don't know what you would call it, intervened on my behalf both times, to influence those officers. I'll be forever reminded and grateful.

Rasty
09-04-2013, 19:01
Don't have to be a hiker to pull off that mistake. Remember, Robert Downey Jr waking up in someone else's home in a child's bed after a binge?

Hikers are generally great people but being involved with hiking doesn't automatically make one immune from being an a-hole, scoundrel, or making bone head mistakes.

BY FAR, the most destructive drug in America, from a fatalities stand pt, is tobacco. Tobacco accounts for about 430,000- 440,000 deaths annually in the U.S. More than all deaths from AIDS, heroin, crack, powder(cocaine), meth, X, and alcohol COMBINED. Interestingly, fatalities solely caused by marijuana use is virtually non existent which I find strange considering how dangerous its supposed to be from a gov't perspective. Perhaps, some are correct when they say the deaths associated with the marijuana trade are largely as a result of it being illegal.

Food is far more dangerous then tobacco. Addictive, Socially Acceptable, Government Subsidized and Deadly. By the way we here in the Restaurant industry thank you for eating! :D

BirdBrain
09-05-2013, 01:15

Compelling. Many people are in denial. Hopefully this reaches and helps a few of them. Thank you for sharing.

illabelle
09-05-2013, 06:10
As a non-drinker, I've always felt like I was in a tiny minority. How nice to see that there are many others. How sad the pain and loss that some have experienced.

mfleming
09-05-2013, 12:38
Jail Blazing :)

Tom Murphy
09-05-2013, 13:21
Jail Blazing :)

+1

hahahahahaha

Astro
09-05-2013, 13:47
Must say I didn't either.
Then again maybe we didn't stay at the same shelters....;)

Oz, I didn't know that you ever stayed at shelters. ;)

jbwood5
09-05-2013, 13:51
So the the hiker made the $100 bail and was released. His court hearing is in October. Anybody really think he'll show? He's probably on the PCT now. :)

sheepdog
09-05-2013, 16:16
This is powerful stuff. I wish more would learn this lesson. Thanks for sharing.

Game Warden
09-06-2013, 20:47
He does look quite smug. Probably all part of the adventure, dude! Probably laughing about in some other bar right now.

ChinMusic
09-06-2013, 20:59
He does look quite smug. Probably all part of the adventure, dude! Probably laughing about in some other bar right now.
You could not be more wrong.

Nice try

Drybones
09-06-2013, 21:10
We're all prodigal sons.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2013, 21:26
You could not be more wrong.

Nice try

Do tell, what is the news from the front lines?

kayak karl
09-06-2013, 21:29
We're all prodigal sons. you been talking to my Dad ??

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2013, 21:33

Not making excuses for his actions, but I'm not sure that "Twenty-Six year old male gets drunk, falls asleep in wrong place." Is the sort of event that is really rare enough to warrant much news coverage. But like others have said, I wasn't there.

BirdBrain
09-06-2013, 21:39
you been talking to my Dad ??

He more likely has been talking to our Father.

Game Warden
09-06-2013, 21:44
The babysitter, the parents of the children she was babysitting, the kids she was babysitting, the neighbors she woke up for refuge at 2:00 AM, and the people who run the hostel are probablya little upset by this outdoorsman.

ChinMusic
09-06-2013, 22:53
Do tell, what is the news from the front lines?
I'm at Shaw's as I type. The perp has profusely apologized to everyone involved and is distraught over his conduct.

What someone gleans from a mugshot is just sad.

Feral Bill
09-06-2013, 23:13
Another one, what the heck is goin on here?:D Looks like just the one, which is more than enough.