PDA

View Full Version : Knorr Sides Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

WingedMonkey
09-04-2013, 12:24
Knorr Sides is venturing into the mashed potatoes market. Found these at Walmart.

Not sure if it's a trial run or permanent addition.

It's basically a tear apart package with potatoes on one side and gravy mix on the other. You still make them separately. (I'm sure someone will let us know after they do it all in one pot/bag).

Although not labeled as loaded, the ingredients do show corn syrup and buttermilk and onion powder and several other added flavorings to the potato mix. Directions call for one cup of water and one cup of milk for potatoes.

Gravy mix calls for one cup of boiling water.

Makes two cups of mashed and one cup of gravy.

I found it in beef and chicken gravy flavors.

Ewker
09-04-2013, 12:31
another mashed potato option is always good

Mosquito Bait
09-04-2013, 14:19
Very cool. I was thinking about taking some gravy mix with me. This would be great. Thanks for sharing. :)

The Old Boot
09-04-2013, 14:39
It's heavy, I picked one up off the shelf in the store the other day. The gravy is in liquid form. This means you can't separate it into individual meal packs.

IMO, it's better to pick up packs of mashed potatoes and dry gravy mix. I get mine at the bulk food store and zip-loc a 1/4 cup of gravy mix (either beef or chicken) which weighs less than a couple of ounces.

Odd Man Out
09-04-2013, 15:19
Does it have Hydrogenate Veg Oil? I find it annoying that just about all instant potatoes have HVO, for no good reason.

Ewker
09-04-2013, 16:07
Very cool. I was thinking about taking some gravy mix with me. This would be great. Thanks for sharing. :)

powdered gravy is easy to take with you. we buy it in the large container

Brer Sam
09-04-2013, 16:12
Does it have Hydrogenate Veg Oil? I find it annoying that just about all instant potatoes have HVO, for no good reason.

I buy the KNORR because it doesn't list Hydrogenated oil as an ingredient, and it tastes pretty good even without the heavy gravy package. The IDAHOAN brand is good too, but has Hydrogenated soybean oil.

WingedMonkey
09-04-2013, 16:20
It's heavy, I picked one up off the shelf in the store the other day. The gravy is in liquid form. This means you can't separate it into individual meal packs.

IMO, it's better to pick up packs of mashed potatoes and dry gravy mix. I get mine at the bulk food store and zip-loc a 1/4 cup of gravy mix (either beef or chicken) which weighs less than a couple of ounces.

Not liquid with this product. Dry gravy mix.

Net weight 5.2 oz. 5.75 with packaging.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2013, 18:33

5 ounces? serves 2-4 people...

Mashed Potatoes: Potatoes*, Corn Syrup*, Whey (Milk), Buttermilk*, Salt, Onion Powder, Mono & Diglycerides, Maltodextrin (Corn, Potato), Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Milk), Soybean Oil, Citric Acid, Sugar, Whey Protein Concentrate, Sulfites. Beef Flavored Gravy: Corn Syrup*, Modified Corn Starch, Potato Starch, Bleached And Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Salt, Whey (Milk), Maltodextrin, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Caramel And Paprika (For Color), Onion Powder, Natural Flavor (Beef), Garlic Powder, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Beef Fat*, Sulfites. Mashed Potatoes: May Contain Wheat, Egg. Beef Flavored Gravy: May Contain Egg. *Dried.

Tuckahoe
09-04-2013, 19:03
5 ounces? serves 2-4 people...

Yup...

1/2 cup is a standard and appropriate serving of mashed potatoes.

The Cleaner
09-04-2013, 19:21
Sounds great. I don't mind cooking in a pot and washing it. Probably too heavy for the UL crowd and not many want to even carry a cook pot or wash it either. After backpacking for over 30 years anything with a new taste is worth trying. I'm sure somebody will just add cold water and wait a while then chow down :eek:......

The Old Boot
09-04-2013, 21:48
Not liquid with this product. Dry gravy mix.

Net weight 5.2 oz. 5.75 with packaging.

Well poo!! Once again you guys south of the stupid white line get all the good stuff. No wonder my cross border shopping list just keeps on getting longer and longer.

The package I took a serious look at up here had the gravy as a liquid. I took a look at it cause I'm always on the lookout for new possibilities for trips into Algonquin interior where there's a can ban.

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2013, 23:04
just discovered this is not available everywhere just yet...