PDA

View Full Version : Good family hikes?

dbales
09-04-2013, 13:46
The wife and I are planning a trip to Gatlinburg next year around late September early October. We have a 3 month old girl and she will be going with us, so she will be just over a year old when we take the vacation.

My question is, what are some good family hikes that we could take that aren't too physically demanding to be taking a one year old on? We would be undoubtably carrying her 90% of the hike.

Thanks guys.

DandT40
09-04-2013, 13:57
You could go check out Laurel Falls which is just inside the park. It is paved the 1 mile to the falls. We saw plenty of people with strollers and everything else on the trail. You could also drive the cades cove loop which will be good (not a hike but something else to do with a young child in the area). Near that area is the Little River trail which is very easy too. If you are up for more miles and a little more work you could do the little river - cucumber trail loop. I'm sure some of the locals will have better ideas, but these are just the few places that I have been to with my kids that I know are easy and doable if you are carrying a small one.

HooKooDooKu
09-04-2013, 14:40
Planning early arn't ya?

I would suggest you get a child carrier (http://www.kelty.com/c-kids.aspx), then you're not limited by where you can go.

And because you're planning so early, I'll point out that with a child carrier, it's even possible to do a night at Mt. LeConte Lodge (http://www.lecontelodge.com/). We hiked up to the lodge when our 1st born was right at 14 months old. I point this out, because NOW is the time to put in your reservation requests for 2014. On Oct. 1st, 2013, the lodge will start filling reservation requests chosen at random from those that have submitted requests. You can also try calling on Oct. 1st, but the phone lines will be jammed.

Otherwise, a MUST DO trail with an infant is a hike to Laurel Falls. The trail head is only a few miles from the Sugarland's Visitors Center, is only a little over 2 miles round trip, is relatively level (for a Smokies trail) and most importantly, is paved. That means you can use a stroller.

The only other path I know of that is paved in GSMNP is the 1/2 mile path from the parking lot to Clingman's Dome. The path is fairly steep though, so the hardest part of using a stroller would be making sure it doesn't get away from you coming back down. You would also have to make sure the baby is very well wrapped up. At an elevation of over 6,600', the temperatures in Sep/Oct could be as low as below freezing at Clingman's Dome. But most likely, the day-time highs will be around 50 degrees. (Lower elevations should be in the low 70s).

Another good hike would be Abram's Falls. The path has minimal hills, is wide, and relatively smooth enough that your girl could even walk part of the way. The trail head is at the far end of Cades Cove, and the hike to the falls is about 4 miles round trip.

The 1st mile+ of Alum Cave Trail is very pretty and relatively level as it follows along a mountain stream. After a little over a mile, the trail goes THROUGH 'Arch Rock' on a steep rock stair case. The baby carrier will fit fine, you just have to watch out for the baby's head on the side walls of the arch. After arch rock, the trail gets a little steeper. After another mile+, you come out on an overlook known as 'Inspiration Point'. After a few more steep sections (some on stairs) you get to Alum Cave Bluff. If you turn around at this point, the round trip distance is about 5 miles. There's no point continuing past the bluff unless you're planning to hike all the way to LeConte Lodge.

And the Alum Cave Trail reminds me of a very import point. Make sure to have plenty of warm cloths for the baby, and make sure to check her body temperature from time to time. You can find yourself sweating from the exertion of your hike. But while your baby is in a carrier, she isn't going to be getting a workout to generate extra body heat. When you add hiking along a cool mountain stream, its real easy for your baby to get cold without you realizing it.

I can NOT recommend Chimney Tops. It's a popular trail that is getting some great improvements. But to see the view that makes its 1500' climb worth it, you have to climb up and out on some rocks I can't recommend hiking with small children of any age.

However, another good hike is out to Andrews Bald. The trailhead is in the Clingman's Dome parking lot. It is 5 miles round trip over a steep trail that has been given some excellent improvements. You will be at a high elevation, so make sure baby is bundled up.

Another relatively easy hike would be the hike to Grotto Falls, a water fall you can walk behind. It's about 3 miles round trip up a relatively modest (by GSMNP standards) hill. The trail head is along Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail road.

There is also a relatively level gravel path that is very wide between Gatlinburg and the Sugarland's Visitor's Center.

moldy
09-04-2013, 19:43
Not the AT inside GSMNP. Too rough, too isolated, shelters only. Not a good idea with a baby.

HooKooDooKu
09-04-2013, 22:15
Not the AT inside GSMNP. Too rough, too isolated, shelters only. Not a good idea with a baby.
I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression the OP is looking for day-hikes.

dbales
09-05-2013, 14:11
I wanted to go on the Alum Cave trail the last time we were in the Smokies but chose to hike another trail. I believe it was Grotto falls or another trail in that area. So we might look more into Alum Cave trail.

We do have a baby carrier and believe me, my wife will have little girl covered lol. Thanks for the input guys.

Greyson2
09-05-2013, 15:14
I hiked there just last month with a 7 year old and a two year old. My advice to you is if you want to see wildlife, go as early as possible. We drove into Roaring Fork Motor Trail (Great Motor trail 10 minutes from downtown Gatlinburg) around 7:30 AM and the first turn we came across there was a bear meandering down the Motor trail right in front of us. He walked and ate Berries for a good 1/4 mile before turning off into the Woods. We also passed Rainbow Falls and went straight to Grotto Falls. That early in the morning you will hardly see anyone on the trail, other than Bear. So i'd advice Bear spray. but know how to use it. We had an up close and personal encounter with two curious bears. It's a nice hike, with a nice waterfall at the end.
Clingmon's Dome is worth the effort (Its a big hill you have to ascend to get there) if you have never seen the A.T. and want to see it up close and personal. At the top of Clingmon's Dome there is a trail off to the side that is the A.T. There is a sign there you wont miss it. Nothing worth taking time to walk very far on, but to see Clingmons Dome and the A.T. its well worth the effort. (I would suggest stroller on this particular hike. Paved well)
My favorite was Laurel Falls because of how pretty the cascading falls was. The trail itself is rather crowded which isnt my thing, but the falls is worth the effort. All of these i have mentioned are strenuous with toddlers, but only for you. My toddler loved every second as long as if i would hold her when she asked. She got heavy, but i think the memory will last a lifetime, and that makes it worth it.

Trebor66
09-05-2013, 15:17
There's another trail that's just outside Gatlinburgh at the entrance to the park. If I remember right it's called the Gatlinburgh Trail. It follows the stream and is perfectly flat. Not paved but very wide in places. Early in the morning there are some great photo ops with the fog lifting off the water. If you continue past the bridge the scenery gets better and better. You can purchase a book that lays out all the hiking trails on the Smokys. It's proven itself to be useful to me. My wife and I is our 7 year old are headed up there in two weeks for a few days of day hikes. Enjoy !!

HooKooDooKu
09-05-2013, 15:22
There is also a relatively level gravel path that is very wide between Gatlinburg and the Sugarland's Visitor's Center.

There's another trail that's just outside Gatlinburgh at the entrance to the park. If I remember right it's called the Gatlinburgh Trail. It follows the stream and is perfectly flat. Not paved but very wide in places. Early in the morning there are some great photo ops with the fog lifting off the water. If you continue past the bridge the scenery gets better and better.

These are referencing the same path.

HooKooDooKu
09-05-2013, 15:35
You can purchase a book that lays out all the hiking trails on the Smokys.
Often referred to as "The Little Brown Book", its official title is "Hiking Trails of the Smokies (http://www.rei.com/product/608624/hiking-trails-of-the-smokies-3rd-edition)". While there are places to purchase it online, you can pick it up at any visitor's center in and around the park.

The book is about the size of a pocket, but about 1" thick. It describes every "Official" trail in the GSMNP. Each trail description includes an elevation profile so you know what you're in for (because just looking at the Trail Map, you get no sense of elevation changes).

I too would recommend it for anyone who ever expects to return to the GSMNP. Otherwise, for just a one-time trip where you're likely to only hit the popular day hikes, the rangers at the visitor's centers have copies they can use to show you the details of any particular trail you're interested in.

Likes2travel
09-06-2013, 07:46
Roaring Fork Motor trail is great, many places to pull over and enjoy the beauty. Saw two bears, waterfalls, well worth the drive.