PDA

View Full Version : Southern Virginia section help - campsite at mile 517.6

mschoger
09-04-2013, 23:58
In October I will be heading NOBO out of Damascus for about 5 days of hiking. Not crushing miles but taking in the trail and enjoying time back in the woods. I've planned out my trip and have a question about a campsite at mile 517.6 just north of Dickey Gap, in between Hurricane Mtn Shelter and Trimpi Shelter. The campsite is on the blue-blazed trail .2 miles E of the trail. Is anyone familiar with this campsite? Would it accommodate a couple tents and are there trees for hanging hammocks?

Thanks,

Launcher

Cedar Tree
09-05-2013, 08:48
If you are talking about the Comer Creek access trail, yes and yes.
CT

Kerosene
09-05-2013, 12:54
There used to be a shelter there and I do believe it will accommodate multiple tents. I vaguely recall a clearing at the side trail junction that might also be used in a pinch.

scope
09-05-2013, 13:12
If you are talking about the Comer Creek access trail, yes and yes.
CT

Isn't that south of Dickey Gap?

flemdawg1
09-05-2013, 15:03
Isn't that south of Dickey Gap?

No the one the OP is talking about is 1.5 miles NORTH of Dickey Gap, I believe.

I haven't went down to that campsite, just looking it up in the Companion.

MSChoger, I would reccomend Hurricane Creek Campground though, I car camped there back in June. Nice hot showers, and a beautiful quiet campground. We camped by the meadow next to the creek, had trees for hammocks, and lots of fireflys in the early evening.

mschoger
09-05-2013, 15:40
No the one the OP is talking about is 1.5 miles NORTH of Dickey Gap, I believe.

I haven't went down to that campsite, just looking it up in the Companion.

MSChoger, I would reccomend Hurricane Creek Campground though, I car camped there back in June. Nice hot showers, and a beautiful quiet campground. We camped by the meadow next to the creek, had trees for hammocks, and lots of fireflys in the early evening.

Thanks for the insight. I was looking at Hurricane as well. Looks like it might be a better fit for my milage.

Shonryu
09-06-2013, 01:17
My brother and I are hiking from Damascus NOBO in a few days. We planned on stopping on one or days at either Hurricane Mtn Shelter @510.9 or the USFS Hurricane Creek Campground. Accoring to The AT Guide tent sites are $16 a night and $3 shower. Restrooms and showers are closed after Labor say so your sol on that. The number for the campground is 276-783-5196. I'm sure they can answer any questions that you have. Trimpi shelter is also about 2 miles north of the blue-blazed shelter and you should be fine there too and it has water.