PDA

View Full Version : Help! AT Thruhiker needs ride to Wedding!

Sass
09-05-2013, 09:03
Hi y'all! I'm a nobo hiking right now, and am in my best friends wedding in Texas on Sept. 21st, she and I have been friends since childhood. I bought a flight from Portland, ME to Austin round trip, problem is I'm not quite certain what town ill be hiking into and if there will be a way to get to the airport. My flight departs September 19th at 10:15am, if anyone would be willing to help me (I can contribute gas money) I would so appreciate it. I may be around the Andover area at the time, but can't be certain. Even a lift to a town with a rental car company or bus transportation would be most welcome. I'm going to leave my phone number to contact me, but will check on here as well, it's (409)728-0023! Thanks y'all! Happy Trails!

Sass
09-05-2013, 09:13
Forgot to mention, a) Sept 19th is a Thursday. b) I will be in Maine. c) my trail name is lostnfound!

Slo-go'en
09-05-2013, 09:43
Where are you now? If you could time it to be in Gorham instead of Andover, you could take a bus to Boston. And if you did that, it would be worth changing your flight to go out of Logan instead of Portland. Once you get into Maine, getting over to Portland is not going to be easy. The saying "ya can't get tha fom hea" (you can't get there from here) was coined in this area.

Andover is 5 to 7 days north of Gorham. If you got here early, re-book the flight so you don't have to hang around. It would likely be worth getting to your friend's place a bit early to clean up, rest and eat a lot. Plus you don't want to push on and then find yourself in the middle of no where trying to get to Portland the next day.

When you return, I would suggest heading straight to Katahdin because your not going to have much time left to do all of Maine before the park closes October 15th.

T.S.Kobzol
09-05-2013, 10:32
Depending on your pace you may be close to Katahdin by the time September 19 rolls around. Where do you estimate to be by September 18?

Slo-go'en
09-05-2013, 11:21
Depending on your pace you may be close to Katahdin by the time September 19 rolls around. Where do you estimate to be by September 18?

She said she might be in the Andover area, so I'm guessing she's in Vermont or just getting into NH now.

T.S.Kobzol
09-05-2013, 11:38
i know. FWIW if she was in NH and you gave her a ride towards Portland, I could meet you somewhere halfway like Fryeburg or Hiram and take her to Portland. It would have to be after 5PM so that I can get out of work without trouble. :-)

I could probably swing Andover and back but during a work week this could be a haul. I live next to Portland in Windham

Sass
09-12-2013, 13:24
Alright, I'm in the whites and should be in Gorham by the 18th. It's proving difficult to find a way to Portland. The best idea I have right now is to take a concord bus to Boston then another to Portland. Or if anyone could get me to another city that has transportation to Portland. Littleton seems to have more bus times than Gorham.

Slo-go'en
09-12-2013, 17:25
The only way to get to Porland from the Whites is via Boston. You will arrive at 6:30 PM. There appears to be only one bus a day to Portland from Boston. Getting to Littleton will not be easy - the bus station is at a gas station off I-89 and several miles from Littleton proper. The Littleton bus does make stops at Franconia and Lincon NH, which would be easier and closer to where you might be. Unless you can get to Gorham soon enough, which would be the easiest way to get out of here. Good luck.

There are two buses from Litteton, but only the 6:50 AM bus will get you to Boston in time to connect to Portland. You don't want to overnight in Boston. Even the YMCA in South Boston costs $80 a night.

max patch
09-12-2013, 17:44
There are two buses from Litteton, but only the 6:50 AM bus will get you to Boston in time to connect to Portland. You don't want to overnight in Boston. Even the YMCA in South Boston costs $80 a night.

When I came home from my thru I spent the nite in the Amtrak Station. Can the OP do the same in the bus station? Is it safe to do so?

chiefiepoo
09-12-2013, 22:53
Maybe a local shuttle driver back to Hanover, NH where you can catch the Dartmouth Coach back to Logan. If rebooking out of Logan is not economical, then AMTRAK runs ( The Downeaster) to Portland several times a day out of North Station, Boston. There is a 9:05 am and an 11:35 am run up to Portland that takes about 2:35 hr/min. Later in the day. 5 pm 5:40 pm and 11:20 would be departures from Boston.

Slo-go'en
09-12-2013, 23:03
When I came home from my thru I spent the nite in the Amtrak Station. Can the OP do the same in the bus station? Is it safe to do so?

You can and it is safe. The doors are locked at midnight, but if you have a ticket and are there before midnight you can stay. However, you'll be up all night - no place to lay down, too much light and noise. I tried that last summer coming back from Glacier and ended up doing a bivy under an I-95 off ramp near by. It was an interesting, but not a very pleasent experiance. I got in at 10 PM and my bus the rest of the way home left at 5 PM the next day - a long wait!

T.S.Kobzol
09-14-2013, 10:06
I am still offering a pickup somewhere halfway between gorham and Portland, after 5pm on Thursday.

WHAT!?: Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

T.S.Kobzol
09-14-2013, 13:48
Dean read drowned

T.S.Kobzol
09-14-2013, 13:50
Ehm. Please delete the previous message. It was destined for a search engine.