PDA

View Full Version : Closest AT point to Greenfield, MA?

serenitynow
09-05-2013, 12:09
My boyfriend and I are planning a section hike from NY to MA and would like to be able to get as close to Greenfield, MA as possible (his comment about the great hiking in MA was what engendered this plan in the first place). I've been checking various maps and resources and haven't been able to ascertain if there is a trail that links up to the AT that will bring us into or close to Greenfield (Rocky Mountain Park/Poet's Seat Tower) OR barring that, what the nearest point to get off the AT would be. Can anyone point me to some helpful resources? Thank you in advance!

Another Kevin
09-05-2013, 14:32
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/interactive-map - click the 'Parking' checkbox to show the places you can park a car at the trailhead, or of course you can get a driver to let you off at any road crossing.

Greenfield to anywhere in western Massachusetts is likely to be a transportation challenge. All the bus routes in Greenfield seem to follow the Connecticut Valley. If you can make it down to Springfield, you can catch a bus or train to Pittsfield, and then get out to Dalton somehow. If someone with a car can shuttle you, the closest spot on the trail is nearer Williamstown/North Adams.

imscotty
09-05-2013, 17:18
Closest place to get off the AT would be where it crosses Rt. 2 outside of Williamstown. Just an hour drive straight up Rt. 2 to get back to Greenfield. Perhaps someone would pick you up?

Monkeywrench
09-05-2013, 18:27
Get off the AT where it crosses Rt 2 in North Adams and hitch-hike east 35 or 40 miles on Rt 2 to Greenfield.

bosborne
09-05-2013, 22:06
North Adams, MA

serenitynow
09-06-2013, 13:25
Thank you to all who replied! We have family members up there- I guess we were envisioning being able to hike into town and knock on their door :) We will likely just negotiate a pickup point with them instead.