PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 50

Tuckahoe
09-05-2013, 12:22
Anyone have any experience with Osprey Atmos 50?

Here lately l have been tinkering with my kit. Cuting out things I dont use and getting it smaller and more compact.

This one caught my eye and there are a few videos about the pack, but no real reviews.

hikerboy57
09-05-2013, 12:31
i switched from the atmos65 to the 50 for my section hike this spring, and i love it.ive had the atmos 65 for about 7 or 8 yrs and its held up real well.. as ive gotten lighter, it was too big for 3 seeason camping but ill keep it for winter.the atmos 50, so far after 500+ miles, shows hardly any signs of wear.you can adjust the length of the frame, as well as the hipbelt.

im actaully padking it right now for my section hike in maine next week.:)

ATMountainTime
09-05-2013, 12:34
I have used one for the past year. It is a VERY comfortable pack, the suspension is very impressive. Ive very much enjoyed it. Id say its the perfect size for sections and thru hikes. I find it a bit small for weekend non AT excursions as i tend to take more comfort items.

wornoutboots
09-05-2013, 13:59
Looks like a really nice pack!! I'm thinking of upgrading to one from my Golite Jam, it seems to have a little larger capacity + the Jam, without load lifters are really starting to dig into my shoulders at full capacity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3PWFCAod30

daddytwosticks
09-05-2013, 16:06
I love my ancient (2005) Atmos 50. :)

colorado_rob
09-05-2013, 16:14
FWIW, the Exos 46 is significantly lighter than the Atmos 50 with virtually the same suspension and only marginally, if at all smaller (seems just as large, even rated 4 liters less). I just gave my old and well-used Atmos 50 to my son, as there is no upside to the Atmos vs. the Exos.

rangeley
09-05-2013, 16:19
It's an awesome pack with an excellent suspension that really helps combat sweat. You still sweat but it doesnt soak the whole back of your pack, and potentially all of your stuff. The only downsides are the water bottle pocket that make it impossible to grab a bottle while walking, and the fact that the pack contours out from your back so much, making it take a little while to figure out a good packing technique. Other than that I love it, its durable and comfortable which are the main things I look for.

Tuckahoe
09-05-2013, 19:57
My current, pack is a Kelty Trekker 3950. Its a great pack, but some how I have gotten on this kick of simplifying my kit and seeing if I can get to a smaller pack. Not so much lightweight or minimalist, but certainly much more streamlined.

I was looking the Exos as well, but I dont think thats quite for me. My problem is, though, there are no local outfitters.

Big Dawg
09-05-2013, 21:59
i switched from the atmos65 to the 50 for my section hike this spring, and i love it.ive had the atmos 65 for about 7 or 8 yrs and its held up real well.. as ive gotten lighter, it was too big for 3 seeason camping but ill keep it for winter.the atmos 50, so far after 500+ miles, shows hardly any signs of wear.you can adjust the length of the frame, as well as the hipbelt.

im actaully padking it right now for my section hike in maine next week.:)

Same here. Love my old 65, but the Atmos 50 better accommodates my current gear. I have even lighter packs (ex. GG Gorilla), but still love the Atmos series best!

daddytwosticks
09-06-2013, 07:22
It's an awesome pack with an excellent suspension that really helps combat sweat. You still sweat but it doesnt soak the whole back of your pack, and potentially all of your stuff. The only downsides are the water bottle pocket that make it impossible to grab a bottle while walking, and the fact that the pack contours out from your back so much, making it take a little while to figure out a good packing technique. Other than that I love it, its durable and comfortable which are the main things I look for. Solved the water bottle issue on my Atmos 50 by using bungie cord on a shoulder strap to keep a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle handy. Still use the side pockets to tote extra water. :)

Illinois
09-06-2013, 11:08
I've got the 65. I had the '012 model, but a couple of porcupines got a hold of it and chewed the salty areas. Got the '013 model and it's great. I really love the back panel. They changed the hip pockets from mesh to a solid fabric, which is nice. The new models are more adjustable. I love the atmos pack.

Symba
09-06-2013, 12:01
I have the atmos 65 model, happy to see others love this model too; good to see they changed out the pockets from mesh to solid fabric. I'll be looking into an atmos 50 model and possibly considering the exos 46 mentioned above. Daddytwosticks is right, I am using the hiking pole holder on the strap to hold a smaller sized Gatorade bottle while keeping my two nalgenes in the side pockets.

Symba
09-06-2013, 12:20
Looks like a really nice pack!! I'm thinking of upgrading to one from my Golite Jam, it seems to have a little larger capacity + the Jam, without load lifters are really starting to dig into my shoulders at full capacity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3PWFCAod30 Great explanation on this pack, almost identical to the 65 I have; minus the mesh zipper pocket under the lid. I honestly don't like the two zipper pockets that run down the sides of the pack. I can see them as a good place for maps or data books; but otherwise I did not use them and would have been happier without the added weight of the zippers; they don't expand much when you have a full pack like I did, just enough space to slip in maps; which is kinda cool anyway. I sweat ALOT, but with this pack and the integrated airspeed system I didn't at all; eliminated a lot of issues with skin eruptions and odor. Great suspension I will continue to look for and keep on top of. I have had two other types of backpacks (lowe alpine 70 + 15; Gregory ? from Loooong ago). I'll keep with Osprey, I fell about six times on my ass in the 100 mile wilderness this past week and the materials held up well. One foot in front of the other!

Tuckahoe
09-07-2013, 08:16
im at 28 pounds with food, and a smart water bottle of water.smartwater. felt like a dumbass for buying smart water, but the bottle is perfect to reach my side pocket.

HB, this is from the Backpacker magazine thread, but is this what you carried in your Atmos 50?

hikerboy57
09-07-2013, 08:20
yeah I've had to repackage my food 3 times.it's a little tight with 6 days of food.I'm taking my down parka and micro fleece tightsthey're predicting a couple of nights down into the 30's

Tuckahoe
09-07-2013, 15:37
Ah, that's one thing I have been wondering about is how much space 4 or 5 days of food would take up.

hikerboy57
09-07-2013, 15:46
i put my rain jkt, fleece cap and gloves in the brain to give the main compartment some extra room, and for quick access if weather changes.
its the freakin mountain house packs that take up so much room. as im only out for 6 days, i bought 6 mtn house meals and they take up way too much space. finally packed 3 mtn house meals in a small opsak bag and tucked them into one of the side zipper pockets, where i still have trouble filling.without the down jkt and microfleece tights, i would have no issue, but its gonna be chilly at nights and im bringing my wm highlite35,with a "normal "3-4 days between resupply, the size is perfect.but with 6 days of food, its packed tight.after adding camera,pepe, im still at 29 lbs.

MuddyWaters
09-07-2013, 17:14
Ah, that's one thing I have been wondering about is how much space 4 or 5 days of food would take up.

Depends on how much and what type food you bring, of course.

I fit 7 days food in a zpacks blast foodbag. Thats roughly 750 cuin I think, about 11x5.5x12" or so
If you like to bring bulky things, like mountain house, you might fit 4-5 days food in there.

Toli
09-07-2013, 18:08

im actaully padking it right now for my section hike in maine next week.:) "It's just braggin'"... :D

Tuckahoe
09-07-2013, 18:35
Depends on how much and what type food you bring, of course.

I fit 7 days food in a zpacks blast foodbag. Thats roughly 750 cuin I think, about 11x5.5x12" or so
If you like to bring bulky things, like mountain house, you might fit 4-5 days food in there.

i put my rain jkt, fleece cap and gloves in the brain to give the main compartment some extra room, and for quick access if weather changes.
its the freakin mountain house packs that take up so much room. as im only out for 6 days, i bought 6 mtn house meals and they take up way too much space. finally packed 3 mtn house meals in a small opsak bag and tucked them into one of the side zipper pockets, where i still have trouble filling.without the down jkt and microfleece tights, i would have no issue, but its gonna be chilly at nights and im bringing my wm highlite35,with a "normal "3-4 days between resupply, the size is perfect.but with 6 days of food, its packed tight.after adding camera,pepe, im still at 29 lbs.

I dont use Mountain House, but it certainly helps to know what folks are putting into their packs.

Last Call
09-07-2013, 19:28
I bought a few packs of the Mountain House scrambled eggs the other day only because they were marked down to 97 cents a pack, actually they are not that bad, cooks up to about 3 egg-serving size, but the packaging is bulky. Now if I can find the dinners that cheep I'd try those....

hikerboy57
09-07-2013, 19:30
"It's just braggin'"... :Dim leaving in 6hrs.looks like i'll have good weather, too, chance of showers and a t storm midweek, clear and sunny the rest of the week.

I dont use Mountain House, but it certainly helps to know what folks are putting into their packs.
i usually only pack an occasional mountain house, mostly ramen and knorrs sides, but as im only out for a week, i splurged.they're expensive, but quick no muss and pretty tasty.but they do take up space.

johnnybgood
09-07-2013, 20:07
i usually only pack an occasional mountain house, mostly ramen and knorrs sides, but as im only out for a week, i splurged.they're expensive, but quick no muss and pretty tasty.but they do take up space.

Off topic sort of , but I like spliting up the MH meals in heavy duty zip lock bags therefore making two meals from each package.

Big Dawg
09-07-2013, 21:11
its the freakin mountain house packs that take up so much room. as im only out for 6 days, i bought 6 mtn house meals and they take up way too much space

Repackage them in qt ziplock freezer bags and they'll pack down a lot smaller.